PDA

View Full Version : dunlop biomimetic 300 tour club

tom4ny
03-02-2012, 08:08 AM
after play testing the dunlop bio 300t for four months i am fully committing to this beautiful frame. it is very precise and with some lead tape in the upper hoop running from 11:00-1:00, it is very solid off of both wings for me. the power level and control are perfect for my 4.5 aggressive all court game. my reference string is isopeed control and i have it strung in the bio 300t at 55/52. i can play for hours and this set up is very comfortable. am testing tf x-one biphase and kirshbaum proline II also at 55/52. i like a 17g in this frame.

in looking to upgrade from my kneissl red star i was looking for the same kind of control but a little less power and more solid. i tried the yt radical, wilson blade blx, solinco pro 8, technifibre tfight 305, volkl pb 9 and x10-295, the regular dunlop bio 300, and the prince rebel 98. all nice frames with +/-. i kept coming back to this frame because overall i play best with it and it has the right feel for me. my coach is sponsored by prince and pushing the rebel 98. it comes in a close second then i like the technifibre tfight 305 and volkl pb9.

i plan to play with the dunlop bio 300 tour for a number of years. cased closed and happy :)

RNBABOLAT
03-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Im in, love the frame and is in stock form and in the 5.0 I play is always really control oriented even better than my pure storm at 62 lbs and in the bio I play at 56 in the mains and 58 in the crosses love the frame and be my racquet unti I find something better but will be really hard

tom4ny
03-05-2012, 06:15 AM
welcome to the club! i certainly could play with it in stock form and it would be fine. it was when i was playing defensively or returning hard serves/shots that i wanted a little more 'oomph' at the upper 3rd of the string bed. it is stable without the lead but i get a bit more power off the top of the frame now if i need it. pnuemated1 (on these boards) suggested lead running the top of the hoop which accomplished what i was looking for without impacting it's whippiness.

i tried all of the control oriented frames out there over the past year or 2 and kept coming back to the dunlop bio 300t because it just overall did everything a little better for me and i love the firm but soft feel. in my opinion it is the best light weight player's frame out there right now.

tom4ny
03-09-2012, 12:08 PM
currently trying out kirshbaum pro line II 17g and really love the performance and how well i played last night. next up is prince premier attack which i am excited to try in this frame as well as isospeed professional classic.

i love the angles that i can get with the dunlop bio 300t. cross court and inside out is just dynamite.

currently staying at 55/52 which is working well but have replaced the gecko grip with head hydrosorb synthetic. 3 grams of lead across the top of the hoop from 11:00-1:00 and i am all set here. i am now hooked on this frame and lovin it :)

westpac690
03-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Oh heck yeah I'm in! I renounce my membership card to the Pure Drive club! I made the switch about 4 months ago. My 300T came in at 11.7 oz's and loved it. No mods needed.
Babolat VS strung at 58 lbs, and I am finally in tennis Nirvana after a 2.5 year search. It's a control racquet, but man does it feel effortless from all areas of the court.

ZeroSkid
03-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Great frame but lacks stability, plow-through and power. Of course that can be fixed with lead tape. In fact my vantage 95 is quite similar but it is pretty much better in every category.

tom4ny
03-12-2012, 05:52 AM
we can agree to disagree but this frame is solid and stable and the power level is low/medium which is where i prefer it to be. it is a lighter weight players frame. the balance is pretty head light in stock form given the weight and therefore if you are returning a hard serve or passing shot and strike the ball near the top of the frame and off center you could get some twisting but no wobble in this frame. a little lead tape in the upper hoop solves this.

welcome to the club westpac690! :)

westpac690
03-12-2012, 05:06 PM
we can agree to disagree but this frame is solid and stable and the power level is low/medium which is where i prefer it to be. it is a lighter weight players frame. the balance is pretty head light in stock form given the weight and therefore if you are returning a hard serve or passing shot and strike the ball near the top of the frame and off center you could get some twisting but no wobble in this frame. a little lead tape in the upper hoop solves this.

welcome to the club westpac690! :)

Well I can certainly agree with this! :)
I can see how someone who has used nothing but thicker framed or Pure Drive type racquets would say it's not as stable or powerful. But to each his own. My one handed backhand and slice hasn't looked this good or has been as big a weapon as it is since I switched, in forever.

tom4ny
03-13-2012, 05:39 AM
Well I can certainly agree with this! :)
I can see how someone who has used nothing but thicker framed or Pure Drive type racquets would say it's not as stable or powerful. But to each his own. My one handed backhand and slice hasn't looked this good or has been as big a weapon as it is since I switched, in forever.

awesome! my backhand also improved with my switch to the bio 300t and all around my game is better. and serves are huge with this frame!! as noted in the other thread they are now coming out with the bio max 200 and people are very excited. i know that i will have to try that frame out but will stick with the this stick because it compliments my game style so perfectly.

i also agree with you that apples to oranges comparisons are not legitimate whether it's a pure drive or a vantage tweener.

silver and red is where it's at for those that have the game to bring it :cool:

Automatix
03-13-2012, 10:28 AM
I loved my Red Stars but I never could get my BH to cooperate with them.

Also the Red Stars were really picky when it came to strings. They played absolutely marvelous with a 1,10mm kevlar-nylon composite (Toalson Ultimate 110 Power) string but the power was a bit too much to handle sometimes. I strung them as high as 27,5kp.

I've strung my 300 Tours with the very same string but at 24kps... we'll see how it goes.

tom4ny
03-13-2012, 12:05 PM
i was pretty dialed in with isospeed control in my red stars but my game has improved now that i am fully switched to the bio 300t. i am currently trying different strings included meltzer's setup with the old isospeed professional but so far i really like the kirschbaum pro line II. will see about longevity. i had 16g in my kneissl's but like 17g better in the bio 300t. i also dropped tension from 56/53 in the red stars to 55/52 in the dunlops. all is good, just fine tuning from here but i think i prefer a copoly in the dunlop and it is fine on my arm.

Automatix
03-13-2012, 12:15 PM
I'd love to try that Kneissl Poly Tech string which was the factory string for the Red Stars in 2007.

It was a co-poly but was soft, with great control and touch. Unfortunately even then it was unattainable.

tom4ny
03-13-2012, 01:17 PM
kneissl had some decent strings and i still like their frames. now that they have a bankruptcy plan maybe we will start to see some production again but for now all is still quiet.

westpac690
03-13-2012, 02:59 PM
I tried it with a few different synthetics, but decided to go with natural gut. It seems to me the 300T was almost made for it, and really just enhanced all the positive aspects of the racquet. Definitely worth a try even if you've never dabbled much with natural gut.
I have mine strung with Babolat VS 17G at 58 lbs.

Dave M
03-13-2012, 03:51 PM
How do you all find this racquet on your elbows (those of you who've had issues in the past?)
Thanks

westpac690
03-13-2012, 04:39 PM
I never had any elbow issues, but I was starting to get a "tickle" in my shoulder with my Pure Drive Roddick before I switched. Especially if I was playing fairly often.
Since I made the switch, I haven't had any issues with any sort of shoulder joint soreness or aches.

tom4ny
03-14-2012, 03:39 AM
this frame feels soft and i can play for hours even with a copoly and have no elbow or shoulder pain. i used to feel my red stars so stayed with a soft multi in that frame.

vs gut 17 would be awesome in this stick. it might be a bit more powerful than i want but supreme comfort for sure. i may add it to my lineup of string selections though i did find technifibre -1 biphase 17 too lively for my liking but the vs gut would be crisper so i dunno. i could even see going with a hybrid setup in this frame and i usually go with a full bed of a soft/arm friendly multi.

Automatix
03-14-2012, 09:35 AM
I've strung my 300 Tours with the very same string but at 24kps... we'll see how it goes. Dang! Too soft and mushy on the serve.

But what cushion and softness! Volleying was a dream.

Ohhh well, either I get dialed in on the serve or I'll try some co-poly...
I am interested in the Signum Pro Firestorm.

tom4ny
03-14-2012, 10:04 AM
Dang! Too soft and mushy on the serve.

But what cushion and softness! Volleying was a dream.

Ohhh well, either I get dialed in on the serve or I'll try some co-poly...
I am interested in the Signum Pro Firestorm.

i found isospeed control (the new version) to be a very soft and comfortable string and loved it in my red stars but it too felt 'mushy' to me in my dunlop bio 300t. i prefer a crisper string in this frame and can handle it because it is so arm friendly. tomorrow night i will be trying the next prince attack 17 and i am excited to see how this combination works out! Le us know how the signum pro works out for you?

Automatix
03-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Le us know how the signum pro works out for you? Will do! However currently the only new string from Signum Pro which is available here is Thunderstorm.

blackfrido
03-15-2012, 08:53 AM
i found isospeed control (the new version) to be a very soft and comfortable string and loved it in my red stars but it too felt 'mushy' to me in my dunlop bio 300t. i prefer a crisper string in this frame and can handle it because it is so arm friendly. tomorrow night i will be trying the next prince attack 17 and i am excited to see how this combination works out! Le us know how the signum pro works out for you?

tom4ny,

I'm coming in terms of racquets from a similar experience than you. For some reason I (we) keep looking always for something different or better in stead of improving our own game.
To make a long story short, I played very comfortable and at a very good level with Fischers a lilttle too flexy for my taste > SOLD THEM OUT, with the Red Stars SOLD THEM OUT, then I bought couple of Dunlop 4D 300T looking for something close in terms of specs to the Reds and again......-playing okay but SOLD THEM OUT.
Since them over a year ago is a nightmare, my game (4.0/4.5) got worse......
These days I'm playing with a Dunlop Aerogel 300.

Here is the question since you played with the Reds and now 300 Biomimetic; how do you compare them side to side if you have the time to respond? no rush on that, thanks a lot

tom4ny
03-15-2012, 10:33 AM
tom4ny,

I'm coming in terms of racquets from a similar experience than you. For some reason I (we) keep looking always for something different or better in stead of improving our own game.
To make a long story short, I played very comfortable and at a very good level with Fischers a lilttle too flexy for my taste > SOLD THEM OUT, with the Red Stars SOLD THEM OUT, then I bought couple of Dunlop 4D 300T looking for something close in terms of specs to the Reds and again......-playing okay but SOLD THEM OUT.
Since them over a year ago is a nightmare, my game (4.0/4.5) got worse......
These days I'm playing with a Dunlop Aerogel 300.

Here is the question since you played with the Reds and now 300 Biomimetic; how do you compare them side to side if you have the time to respond? no rush on that, thanks a lot

I have played both the 2007 Red Stars and the most recent iteration of 2010/11 Red Stars. The latest version is shorter, more powerful, and user friendly than the previous but I know that you are asking about the older Red Star (2007/08) and how it compares to the Bio 300T.

My game level is the same as yours and it did drop over the fall as I was play testing a number of frames. My migration to the dunlop started this past November and I made the final switch in January.

The Kneissl Red Star 07/08 compares very similarly to the Dunlop Bio 300T but the dunlop is softer with a little less power. I can serve bombs with both so they are equal to me there. I volley better with the 300T and my backhand is better. Forehands are about the same, maybe a bit stronger with the Red Star.

Now that I am grooved to the dunlop (with lead in the upper hoop) my game is better than it ever was with the Red Stars. And my elbow has never been happier. I would feel it a bit with the Red Stars but not bad - with the dunlop bio 300t, no pain at all. The feel of the frame is firm yet soft. Control is outstanding and I can get angles that I did not get with my Reds. I did drop my string gauge to 17g so that is probably part of it.

All is all though I think the frames are pretty close except the bio 300t is 1/2 inch shorter and more user friendly. I can see how both frames are Meltzer frames as they are similar. I would recommend some lead in the bio from 11:00-1:00 at least (1/4 inch) and dropping the cross string tension 3-4 lbs to open up the sweetspot a little more.

I have not played the aerogel version but from what I hear the bio version is crisper and more head light but with a smaller sweetspot. imho the bio is a scalpel and I do not plan to switch for a long time.

blackfrido
03-15-2012, 03:21 PM
tom4ny
thanks for you answer!
We had very similar itinerary with the Reds. I had the ones with the yellow strip detail, then I bought the ones with new cosmetics. I haven't found many differences from these two.
I did not have the chance to put my hands in the latest version....
Anyways, you encourage me with your comments to demo the new Biomimetic! In order to do that I have to unload many frames from my closet before I spend a coin in any new adventure :)

tom4ny
03-15-2012, 04:25 PM
I have the one with the yellow stripe as well. If you don't mind a 4 5/8 grip I can send you one of my bio's and a new red star to play test. I have a few of each so its fine. Email me through here if you are interested. Either way, best of luck to you. I think that you would like the bio!

blackfrido
03-15-2012, 07:41 PM
I have the one with the yellow stripe as well. If you don't mind a 4 5/8 grip I can send you one of my bio's and a new red star to play test. I have a few of each so its fine. Email me through here if you are interested. Either way, best of luck to you. I think that you would like the bio!

thanks buddy! you don't need to do that, I really appreciate it......I know that Kneissl grip runs a little smaller than others or fells smaller because of its very rectangular/flat shape but 5/8s is too big for me.
I will consider for sure the 300 bio for a demo soon.

Automatix
03-16-2012, 02:21 AM
Don't you find it funny that the ex-Red Star users switched to the 300?

I mean me and tom4ny, although I've only played with the 'yellow stripe', now Blackfrido will test drive the frame... there must be something to this racquet.

michael valek
03-16-2012, 02:35 AM
guys - as loyal kneissl-ists, you should be moving to the white stars! or white star tours, or white star pros!

blackfrido
03-16-2012, 06:22 AM
^ can't afford those, especially when you can't demo here in US

blackfrido
03-16-2012, 06:26 AM

I mean me and tom4ny, although I've only played with the 'yellow stripe', now Blackfrido will test drive the frame... there must be something to this racquet.

it is funny in fact, and curious too. I switched from the Reds to 300D T before Melzer did it :)
I really like the 300's but I felt the Red is crispier and more solid at contact than the 300s.

tom4ny
03-16-2012, 06:39 AM
Kneissl always has a special place in my heart because my father did polyurethane work for them back in the 80's when I was growing up (and I got free gear, yeah!). I am not parting with my reds and I have some whites as well but decided in January to switch 100% to the bio 300t when my coach/pro told me that I play best with this frame.

Currently experimenting with kirshbaum, isospeed, weiss, and prince attack strings.

In my Kneissls I preferred a softer string but in my bio 300t's I prefer a crisper string. You are correct that the Kneissl Red is crisper than the 300's. The Bio 300 is crisper than the 300T but I prefer the feel and control of the 300T.

I believe that the old Red's had titanium. In the latest iteration they brought back Kevlar and thickened the beam and also shortened it to 27.2. They did the same with the new white star. They have a great feel but there is a bit of a wobble during hard hitting that can be overcome with lead but I was never able to get everything grooved right and consistant.

With the switch to the Dunlop Bio 300T my game did improve so that is what cemented the switch.

Automatix
03-16-2012, 02:45 PM
it is funny in fact, and curious too. I switched from the Reds to 300D T before Melzer did it :)
I really like the 300's but I felt the Red is crispier and more solid at contact than the 300s. I didn't find them more solid but indeed more crispy. I kinda prefer the 300 Tours, I started out with Dunlop and now I came back full time.

Automatix
03-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Currently experimenting with kirshbaum, isospeed, weiss, and prince attack strings. Firestorm finally became available here and the 1,25mm version is the first on my demo list. I'm leaving my kevlar-nylon in one racquet though, just in case.

If Firestorm is a disapointment I'll test Prince Beast XP 1,25mm... I'll probably buy a reel because I can get it at a really good price.

tom4ny
03-17-2012, 07:02 AM
i agree that the old reds are crispier than the bio 300 and 300T but they are all solid frames. the new red stars are softer and feel great but they do have that flutter.

i am really liking the kirshbaum pro line II and this is my first experience with it. i also like isopeed axon mono which is similar but only available up to 16L. they are both great in either the 300 or 300T. next i am trying kirshbaum hybrix and the old isospeed professional (meltzer setup). i would think that prince beast would play well and so far so good with the prince attack - a crisp super arm friendly multi.

Automatix
03-17-2012, 07:44 AM
Tom4ny did you try Prince Beast XP 1,25mm in full bed?

Although I was supposed to try Firestorm first the price I can get on the Beast XP tempts me so much that I'll probably switch the order and playtest the Beast first.

tom4ny
03-17-2012, 09:25 AM
i have not tried it in my dunlop but tried it in my rebel and liked it a lot. i just like prince attack even more in the rebel that is why i am now trying it in my 300T. it is crisp like beast but more arm friendly. both of these new strings from prince are really good though. i am sorry that i cannot help you with beast in the 300T but i would not be afraid to use a full bed of it.

Automatix
03-17-2012, 09:58 AM
If you've played with Beast in a full bed could you elaborate on it's characteristics?

tom4ny
03-19-2012, 10:41 AM
it is crisp, hold tension well, has a good power level but not too much. prince attack is more arm friendly but i did not have any issues with beast. i keep the tension in mine at 55 and below and i wouldnt go higher.

kirshbaum is a little softer and less powerful and on a full bed i like it slightly better than beast for the control.

also, i have heard and read some people really like a beast/attack hybrid which softens up the bed a little but is less spinny (as expected).

i feel a full bed of poly just a little bit in my elbow so even though i am having good results i am going to continue to play test some multi's. i would suggest trying one set of beast before you go for the whole reel - just to make sure. good luck!!

tom4ny
03-20-2012, 07:32 AM
not on the bio max 200g bandwagon - i'm just smitten with the bio 300T :cool:

Benjj
03-21-2012, 07:56 AM
Hi guys, first post on here so go easy haha...

Basically i've been playing with the 300tours for a year and a half or so, but i'm now at the point where i've been looking at other rackets to take my game further...

To give you a bit of background, I've been playing for about 4 years now and started out on aerogel 300 tours, but started to get awful arm pains due to the stiffness. So then after a recommendation (as i didn't really know what i wanted / was looking for at the time), I switched to the bio 300 tours.

Now whilst i do enjoy playing with these rackets, I find the sweetspot to be a little small and after playing with the 300 tour open strings, really struggle to find as much spin as i'd like in my shots these days.

I've seen you guys talking about lead from 11 oclock - 1 oclock to open up the sweetspot, which i'd like to try. I've never dabbled with lead before so how much would you recommend?

My current setup is alu power big banger mains and prince synthetic gut crosses, strung at 55lbs.

If you guys have any suggestions that may help me achieve more spin and to possibly make the racket a little more forgiving it'd be much appreciated. I'd like to keep these rackets if possible, rather than going on the hunt for another 16 x 19 strung racket.

Many thanks in advance! :)

tom4ny
03-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Hi guys, first post on here so go easy haha...

Basically i've been playing with the 300tours for a year and a half or so, but i'm now at the point where i've been looking at other rackets to take my game further...

To give you a bit of background, I've been playing for about 4 years now and started out on aerogel 300 tours, but started to get awful arm pains due to the stiffness. So then after a recommendation (as i didn't really know what i wanted / was looking for at the time), I switched to the bio 300 tours.

Now whilst i do enjoy playing with these rackets, I find the sweetspot to be a little small and after playing with the 300 tour open strings, really struggle to find as much spin as i'd like in my shots these days.

I've seen you guys talking about lead from 11 oclock - 1 oclock to open up the sweetspot, which i'd like to try. I've never dabbled with lead before so how much would you recommend?

My current setup is alu power big banger mains and prince synthetic gut crosses, strung at 55lbs.

If you guys have any suggestions that may help me achieve more spin and to possibly make the racket a little more forgiving it'd be much appreciated. I'd like to keep these rackets if possible, rather than going on the hunt for another 16 x 19 strung racket.

Many thanks in advance! :)

welcome to the club! the bio 300T is not a spinny racquet but spin generation can be improved by using a 17g string. i prefer the longevity of a 16 which is what i used to use but feel that this frame does better with a thinner gauge. you could also go with a full bed of a soft co-poly and drop the cross tension 3 lbs (55/52). automatix and i were discussing prince beast which is pretty arm friendly and kirshbaum pro line II.

as far as the lead goes - i have 1/4" tape from 11-1 on both sides which adds about 3 grams. if you go from 10-2, it will add about 4 grams. that is all i felt it needed. i didn't put any lead under the grip but changed to head hydrosorb which is heavier than dunlop's gecko grip and i like the feel better.

i am trying isospeed professional (classic) 17 and prince attack (17) tomorrow night. i am hoping that spin is as good as with the co-poly. let us know how this works out for you? good luck!!

Benjj
03-21-2012, 11:46 AM
welcome to the club! the bio 300T is not a spinny racquet but spin generation can be improved by using a 17g string. i prefer the longevity of a 16 which is what i used to use but feel that this frame does better with a thinner gauge. you could also go with a full bed of a soft co-poly and drop the cross tension 3 lbs (55/52). automatix and i were discussing prince beast which is pretty arm friendly and kirshbaum pro line II.

as far as the lead goes - i have 1/4" tape from 11-1 on both sides which adds about 3 grams. if you go from 10-2, it will add about 4 grams. that is all i felt it needed. i didn't put any lead under the grip but changed to head hydrosorb which is heavier than dunlop's gecko grip and i like the feel better.

i am trying isospeed professional (classic) 17 and prince attack (17) tomorrow night. i am hoping that spin is as good as with the co-poly. let us know how this works out for you? good luck!!

Thanks for the quick response tom4ny! Much appreciate the advise on the lead especially, will definitely give that a try and see how it goes!

I'll also look into prince beast, I've heard mixed reviews about it so far, guess the only way to truely find out is try it yourself :)! Be sure to let me know how you get on with the new strings too!

Joe Cocker
03-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Was in the bag...
2 each Dunlop Aerogel 4D 200's
1 each Dunlop Aerogel 4D 300 Tour

All racquets strung with poly in the mains and synthetic in the crosses - mains and crosses at 60 lbs. The 300 Tour had lead tape in the throat and at 11:00 and 1:00 to match the weight of the 200's.

This is was my third iteration of Dunlop racquets. I swore by them and subsequently turned many players on to them. However, I recently gave the Babolats a spin. Holly crap! My hitting partners were the first to say something (e.g. "wow, the ball is way heavier coming off those racquets" - "your spin is sick!"). I was very disappointed to hear this....had to buy to three new racquets lol. I'm still using the Dunlop bag, if that's any consolation...

tom4ny
03-21-2012, 01:08 PM
i have a babalot pure storm (white/red/black version) and bab pure drive (french open edition) that i don't even bother to carry around. i will take the 300t over both of them. let us know when the honeymoon is over and you can come back to the family since you kept your bag. :lol:

tom4ny
03-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the quick response tom4ny! Much appreciate the advise on the lead especially, will definitely give that a try and see how it goes!

I'll also look into prince beast, I've heard mixed reviews about it so far, guess the only way to truely find out is try it yourself :)! Be sure to let me know how you get on with the new strings too!

i found it to be crisper than kirshbaum pro line II but still arm friendly. both of these are arm friendly poly's to the degree that there is such a thing.

also, since you are a lux fan - have you tried timo 17? wicked spin from that string. good luck ben!

TennisTulku
03-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Very interesting transition... I have been hitting with the Borris Becker London over the past year and recently demoed the Bio 300 Tour on whim. Really took to it right away. To me it plays like the London on strokes but improves serves and service returns for me. I have placed an order on a new 300 Tour. I usually have to work with a racquet for a while after the initial demo to really get an idea of how it truly holds up over time. Will keep you posted.

tom4ny
03-22-2012, 04:05 AM
i think that a lot of bb london users would like the bio 300t and vice versa. the bio 300t is great for serves and the control over all is outstanding. it is very solid but a little lead in the upper hoop firms it up against opposing hard serves on service returns. welcome to the club and good luck TT!

TheBoom
03-22-2012, 09:57 AM
Count me in!! I have been using this racket almost a year now due to dsquad player package (thanks Dunlop!!!) and it has preformed very well! I did have to add weight to it because there was too little stability for me and the sweet spot was a little too low. It is now weighted around 11.6 oz I believe? I did switch to a pure drive roddick for a while and still use it on occasion (when I need extra power or spin) but when I need to control my racket this just seems like a perfect extension of my arm. No matter how many rackets I've tried to replace it with I have yet to find one that preformed up to par as consistently as this one. My setup: lead at 2&10 and under the grip, babolat cosmetic dampener, and I use isospeed baseline control 16g @ 54 lbs.

tom4ny
03-23-2012, 03:26 AM
awesome. welcome boom!

i am a huge isospeed fan and was play testing isospeed professional classic last night and loving it. i also had kirshbaum helix and prince attack, all 17g, and all perform well in the dunlop bio 300t. it is going to take more playing for me to settle on one as they each play well but with different levels of control, spin, power. having played with isospeed in my kneissl's for years i think that they make some great products. my bio's are all at 55/52.

TheBoom
03-23-2012, 03:45 AM
This is my first stringing with isospeed I used black widow before which I believe got me more spin but it didn't have as much feel as isospeed. Also had pro hurricane in it and it was horrible never using that again

tom4ny
03-23-2012, 05:24 AM
i used to use 16g but have went to 17g on the 300t to get more spin. durability will be a factor in my string eval's

tom4ny
03-23-2012, 06:24 AM
i forgot to mention that in addition to having 1/4" lead running from 11:00-1:00, i have a strip of gamma head tape running atop the entire bumper guard which adds about another .5 grams. so in total i have added about 4 grams of weight to the upper hoop which firms it up, raises the sweetspot, and still keeps a hl balance and the whippiness you want from this frame to generate spin. viola! das ist ein tennis schlager. mucho bueno :)

RNBABOLAT
03-23-2012, 06:37 AM
I saw in fb dunlop page the new paintjob of the 300 in the hands of FEVER someone knows something about it???? Thanks

Automatix
03-24-2012, 04:14 AM
I have to say I'm really digging the Beast setup.
Soft and comfortable but with a good directional feel and feedback. However this is only based on some baseline bashing and a bit of hitting against a wall so the jury is still out.

A bit off-topic but what the heck.
I'm thinking of playtesting the Bio 400, Bio 500 Tour and the 600 just for the heck of it.
Funny thing is that the feedback I got is that the 600 is a true sleeper and although it's quite a big headsize and light racquet it really shines and with a bit of tweeking can be a very good racquet when you're older. Similarly the info I got for the 400 is quite good while the 500 Tour looks pale comparing to both! bizarre...

I saw in fb dunlop page the new paintjob of the 300 in the hands of FEVER someone knows something about it???? Thanks I'll ask my rep about this when I get the chance.

westpac690
03-24-2012, 05:43 AM
I'm curious to know how much everyone's 300T weighed before any mods. TW.com has the weight listed as 320g, my first 300t 4 5;8 came in at 332g, and my second racquet came in at 328g.
I liked the 332g racquet so much I weighted the 328g to match it.
I'm not complaining by any means because I love how the 332g racquet feels and performs, and I know there is a certain amount of leeway in racquet weights from each racquet company, but 10 g's and 8 g's is a pretty big difference. I was just wondering if my 2 racquets are really an anomaly or are just that big a difference in Dunlop racquets.
I've also used some Wilson, Head, and Babolat racquets, and those seemed to have been a little closer to the listed weight.

Automatix
03-24-2012, 05:48 AM
Mine are (unstrung):
Weight: 310g
Balance: 320mm

P.S.: Both of mine were almost identical in spec. Same balance, weight was different by less than 1g.

westpac690
03-24-2012, 05:59 AM
Ah, I forgot to add those weights I listed on my previous post are strung, not unstrung.

Supermange
03-25-2012, 02:53 PM
My question is how much lead should you put on the bio300 tour.
Most people here say 4-6gram between 10-2 clock. Should I put on lead in the handle to counter or is an overgrip enough? I don't wan't to loose the feeling of the racket but go as high with lead as I can. Anybody?

blackfrido
03-25-2012, 07:19 PM

Automatix, yesterday I had the chance to hit for couple of games with the Biomimetic 400.........this racquet is the closest thing I played to the Reds. This racquet is amazing! I was able to hit anything I wanted to; insane second kick serves among one of the strokes I call recall more vividly :)

TheBoom
03-25-2012, 07:31 PM
My question is how much lead should you put on the bio300 tour.
Most people here say 4-6gram between 10-2 clock. Should I put on lead in the handle to counter or is an overgrip enough? I don't wan't to loose the feeling of the racket but go as high with lead as I can. Anybody?

Put some lead under. I put a bunch under and even when I decided not to keep some lead I had on it gave me some extra whippyness. It's just a precaution though if you don't mind it being less headlight no need to counter balence ce it

tom4ny
03-27-2012, 05:22 AM
i have 4 grams of lead in the upper hoop and a strip of gamma tap running the entire bumper guard for another .5 grams. my frames are still 4 pts. hl and whippy without any counterbalance on the handle. just a little is needed to firm up the upper hoop and raise the sweetspot.

i also suggest 17g string for better spin and dropping the cross tension 3 lbs to open up the sweetspot a little wider.

presto! you now have a magical racquet with great feel and amazing precision. a perfectly weighted butter knife.

Supermange
03-27-2012, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the reply tom4ny and theboom. Will add 4 gram in the upper hoop and put some in the handle to counter like you suggest. thx

Benjj
04-14-2012, 06:15 AM
So yesterday I finally got my rackets back with the new spec and managed to have a hit with them! I went for pretty much exactly what you recommended with the 4 grams under the bumper from 10-2. Then strings wise I went with the prince beast 17 in the mains and a synthetic gut in the crosses as the guy in the shop knows I've had a few arm issues and recommended I try it first. And got it strung at 53/50. Have to say, the strings feel absolutely amazing, get so much more spin than I previously had, made a world of difference! The only thing I'm a little unsure about at the minute is the headweight, feels a massive difference from the standard set up, so just getting used to my one handed backhand with it at the moment. I may take a gram or two out depending on how I get on with it. Going for another hit in a minute then I have a match tomorrow so I'll keep you updated! Thanks for the help though guys!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.382410,-2.305334

tom4ny
04-14-2012, 06:35 AM
great to hear ben! the new prince beast and prince attack strings seem to work well with the 300T. i am still working out if i will go with this combo or go with kirshbaum, or my long time favorite - isospeed. the dunlop 300t definitely works better with a 17g string and having the tension as you do will get plenty of action on the ball. don't you love hitting those crazy angle shots? that is what an oval frame like this can do that other head shapes cannot.

you could cut your lead down so that it runs from 11:00-1:00 to cut back 1 gram and then add a strip of head tape to the bumper guard which adds about .5 grams. that is my current setup with a head hydrosorb grip added and i love hitting backhands and it is plenty whippy.

good luck with your match!!

TennisTulku
05-06-2012, 04:18 PM
If anyone's looking, I have an almost new 300 tour for sale on the boards...

Bman610
06-07-2012, 10:24 AM
I have had a bio300t for about a year but just recently got into the ideas of strings and weight. I like the solinco tour bite 16l because of the tremendous spin it gives but I feel like that's all it gives so I've been wanting to try out other strings to hybrid with. I've already tried ashaway monogut but it's not for me. It may be really cheap but it just takes away some spin and the power isn't tremendous but is hard to handle. I ordered some msg co-focus strings that seem like they might be pretty good. I just wanted to see if you guys had some suggestions that would go good with the solinco. As for the lead tape it seem pretty complicated but I want a more whippy feeling and the sweet spot seems a little low and I have read there is a way to make it higher. Please reply to me for some suggestions.

yoooki
06-28-2012, 02:59 AM
Please count me in the club!

I've been playing with the bio 300 tour since last year since I won one off the dunlop sports facebook page; the design a racquet competition. Before that, I came off the AG4D 300 tour strung with full TournaBHB17@54pds, which I found pretty hard to use because I felt like the racquet was facing resistance when hitting the ball. I actually liked this setup for the control of shot, but just felt like my effort wasn't translating. The biomimetic felt similar, but I noticed it swung through quicker which helped a bit with topspin and swinging freely. My fbbiom300Tour doesn't actually have the aeroskin so regardless of the technology, the biomimetic swings lighter than the AG4D version.

I only recently started reading through this forum, threads such as the aerogel 300 appreciation society, the awesome string job one, and since then have set out to try different string setups and lead on my racquets. Because I didn't want to damage my fbbiom300tour, I bought the actual biom300tour and strung it with Prince Twisted 16L(black/red)@54pds which unfortunately I don't think they stock at TW anymore.. In stock it still felt like there was just something holding it back, except maybe on serve, where you could get really great topspin and slice.

As an experiment, I replaced the grip with a Dunlop Tour Classic Leather Replacement Grip, placed a solinco wonder overgrip over the top, and added lead (1/4' gamma lead tape); 4 x 2 inch strips (equivalent of 2 x 4 inch strips) centred at 12 o'clock... I did it like this so that I'd be able to move the 2 inch strips to 10 and 2, and 3 and 9 for subsequent tinkering. What I've noticed after doing this, is that the ball now produces a distinct pop/slap noise, which is really awesome ~! and whether it's my imagination or not, I feel like I can feel the ball sinking into the strings a little. The quality of shot is also better in terms of pace and feel off the racquet. It just feels more sturdy and reliable in the hand.

I'm still new to this sort of thing, but just wanted to share my experiences with and appreciation for the biomimetic 300 tour. And after messing around with the biom300 tour, I feel like going back to the AG4D and seeing if I can get it grooving aswell.

http://imageshack.us/g/829/myracquetcollection.jpg/

tom4ny
07-06-2012, 06:53 AM
The gecko grip is the only this that I do not like about this frame and have replaced out all of mine with Head Hydrosorb synthetic grips.

spreading lead tape around the upper part or half of the frame seems to work best for most people. Some have counter balanced but others, such as myself have appreciated the increased swingweight. Not much lead is needed and by keeping the sw around 310-315, the frame is still very whippy but plays more solid.

The pop sound is awesome! Isospeed Professional Classic has a great sound and is my main string of choice. I get more spin from Kirshbaum Pro Line II and it ping's a but but with vibration dampener it plays well in this frame and I still keep 2 of mine strung with this co-poly.

I have now been playing with this setup for 8 months and I am not changing!! My game has never been better. :)

namui
07-11-2012, 01:23 AM
Bought one for my daughter 2 months ago. It matched her right away and her tennis teacher was surprised by her immediate improvement. After trying it a couple of times, I couldn't resist buying one for myself. It turned out that mine was significant lighter (6 grams) and had a lot lower swing weight (295 vs 308). I added leads on the hoops (10 grams total), put on a leather grip only up to approx. 5.5 inch from butt, and add 2 grams inside the butt cap. This, with overgrip, results in the total weight of 342 grams and swing weight of around 317-318. MUch more stable than the stock and I now enjoy the racquet immensely that I've been using only it for a few times already (I played 2-3 times a week). Great racquet indeed.
PS My normal racquet is BLX90 (US, stock), I play s&v and was 5.0 (now should be 4.5)

Djokofiets
07-11-2012, 04:58 AM
I'm thinking of switching from the Wilson Blade BLX 98 to this one. The only differences are the SW and the balance, which I think I like, since the Blade swings almost too heavy for me and it isn't very comfortable. Can anyone compare these racquets? And is the biomimetic 300 tour really that much better than the aerogel 4d 300 tour? I'm asking this, because I can get the aerogel version for 30 euros cheaper per stick.

tom4ny
07-11-2012, 05:21 AM
I'm thinking of switching from the Wilson Blade BLX 98 to this one. The only differences are the SW and the balance, which I think I like, since the Blade swings almost too heavy for me and it isn't very comfortable. Can anyone compare these racquets? And is the biomimetic 300 tour really that much better than the aerogel 4d 300 tour? I'm asking this, because I can get the aerogel version for 30 euros cheaper per stick.

the aerogel version is softer and less powerful than the bio 300t which is closer in power level (but not as much) as the blx. I like the blx and it compares well with the bio 300t. the blx has a bigger sweetspot and a tad more power but the bio has better feel and is more precise. I can also swing it faster than the blx so ultimately for me it was superior to the blx. You will need to add some lead to the upper hoop otherwise it is too dead. Also because it is such an oval shaped frame it helps to drop the cross tension by 3-4 pounds. You can go with a full bed of co poly in this frame and it is still very comfortable. The Meltzer setup with Isospeed Professional is my favorite but is less lively. I would also replace the gecko grip either with leather or with a heavy synthetic and you should be good to go! :) good luck!!

Djokofiets
07-11-2012, 05:36 AM
the aerogel version is softer and less powerful than the bio 300t which is closer in power level (but not as much) as the blx. I like the blx and it compares well with the bio 300t. the blx has a bigger sweetspot and a tad more power but the bio has better feel and is more precise. I can also swing it faster than the blx so ultimately for me it was superior to the blx. You will need to add some lead to the upper hoop otherwise it is too dead. Also because it is such an oval shaped frame it helps to drop the cross tension by 3-4 pounds. You can go with a full bed of co poly in this frame and it is still very comfortable. The Meltzer setup with Isospeed Professional is my favorite but is less lively. I would also replace the gecko grip either with leather or with a heavy synthetic and you should be good to go! :) good luck!!

Thanks for the quick and clear response!
I'll take everything in consideration and I'm going to try to demo both versions, see which I like better :)

mrc
07-25-2012, 09:57 AM
I have Head Prestige MP's and gave this one a try by buying a used one. At first, it seemed a bit flimsy but after adding some lead to the hoop and getting it strung with good Poly in Mains and Multi in the crosses around 55lbs each, I quickly fell in love with the feel. I am a 4.5 all court lefty and this racquet is awesome. My forehand is better with Prestige, but if you combine slice, drop, serve, 2nd serve, volley, and overhead...it shines.
The only difference( I would love someone else's opinions as well) is that I notice I like them strung in the mid 50's when I used to string Prestige's around 50lbs. Not sure why...Just like it better.

mrc
07-25-2012, 10:00 AM

I like the Blade BLX 98 as well...Good pop from back of court and serve. However, once again...the BIO 300 Tour shines with the varitey you can impart on all shots. It has more feel than a diamond cutter.

mrc
07-25-2012, 10:03 AM
after play testing the dunlop bio 300t for four months i am fully committing to this beautiful frame. it is very precise and with some lead tape in the upper hoop running from 11:00-1:00, it is very solid off of both wings for me. the power level and control are perfect for my 4.5 aggressive all court game. my reference string is isopeed control and i have it strung in the bio 300t at 55/52. i can play for hours and this set up is very comfortable. am testing tf x-one biphase and kirshbaum proline II also at 55/52. i like a 17g in this frame.

in looking to upgrade from my kneissl red star i was looking for the same kind of control but a little less power and more solid. i tried the yt radical, wilson blade blx, solinco pro 8, technifibre tfight 305, volkl pb 9 and x10-295, the regular dunlop bio 300, and the prince rebel 98. all nice frames with +/-. i kept coming back to this frame because overall i play best with it and it has the right feel for me. my coach is sponsored by prince and pushing the rebel 98. it comes in a close second then i like the technifibre tfight 305 and volkl pb9.

i plan to play with the dunlop bio 300 tour for a number of years. cased closed and happy :)

Tom4ny,
What string tension are you using? you mentioned dropping the crosses more than normal? Why? What are you putting in them?

tom4ny
07-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Tom4ny,
What string tension are you using? you mentioned dropping the crosses more than normal? Why? What are you putting in them?

Hi Mrc, welcome to the club! i have some of my bio 300t's strung with isospeed professional classic and some frames strung with kirshbaum pro line 2. all of my frames are strung at 55/52. because the bio 300t has such an oval shape the mains are quite a bit longer. dropping the cross tension 3-4 lbs. has the effect of opening up the sweet spot a little wider. the crosses will not move more.

this frame is so comfortable i can easily play with a full bed of co-poly like pro line 2 and with a 17g string i get plenty of spin. still i like the feel of the isospeed professional classic best as i have been an isospeed fan for years.

with a hybrid setup you need to take into account the relative stiffness of each string plus the 3-4 lb differential which might require some fine tuning. i just prefer a homogeneous string bed.

*Val*
07-25-2012, 02:21 PM
I really like the look of this racquet. I currently play with the Aerogel 4D300, would the Biomimetic 300 Tour be the logical progression for me?

tom4ny
07-25-2012, 05:25 PM
I really like the look of this racquet. I currently play with the Aerogel 4D300, would the Biomimetic 300 Tour be the logical progression for me?

i think so. i have a few bio 300's also and the bio 300t just does everything a little better for me and has better feel. the bio 300 is easier for spin but by using a 17g string on the 300t you get good spin production. you probably will want to add some lead to the upper hoop on the bio 300t.

the new bio max 200 maybe should be on your list as well but i have not hit with that one yet.

mrc
08-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Just strung with KBaum PLII with 55 in mains and 52 in crosses. Excellent set up...Love it.

aisbandi
09-05-2012, 12:02 AM
Hey guys. Just got myself a Dunlop 300 Tour and I love it !! I've demoed many racquets over the past 3 months and this is one of the top racquets. However it is obvious that the racquet needs some lead weight.... somewhere. Idk where yet. So far I strung it with Babolat VS Touch x RPM Blast at 61/59. Yeah it is a bit tight and the next time I plan to drop the tension to 60/58 or even 59/57. Any suggestions to the new 300t user?

robbo1970
09-05-2012, 02:45 AM
This 300T does seems to tick a lot of my boxes in terms of spec.

How do you find the HL balance in terms of stability against heavy hitters, bearing in the mind the overall strung weight of 320g?

I have been considering adding a leather grip to a racket that would bring it pretty much to these specs, but if this 300T is good in stock form then I'll just buy one of those rather than start tinkering about with an old racket.

tom4ny
09-05-2012, 07:47 AM
the 300T has good stability in stock form but for higher level players and hard hitting, especially service returns, some lead tape is wanted. some folks simply place a few grams at 3 and 9 and call it a day. i would raise it to 2 and 10 or spread it out from 1 to 11 (what i do). the upper hoop is the area where i feel a little lead is of greatest benefit and you do not need much.

i suspect that the new F300 tour improves in this area but i do not plan on switching.

aisbandi
09-15-2012, 12:14 AM
I added lead tape on my 300T. First I put it on 2 and 10. When I do that, the racquet seems really unpredictable. Sometimes I would hit the ball and it will overshoot the court by a longshot. Then the next hit I get; same hit, same form, but the ball would go inside the court.

However, when I put the lead tape from 11-1 (yes, all the way) It is very predictable, it gets rid of the vibration, and it provides the extra power that I need. This is the perfect setting for me.

As far as strings, I still have not found a favorite yet. I am using 16G VS Touch x 17G RPM Blast hybrid. However, I strung it way to high at 61/59. The result is that I have to swing really hard each time and it does a number on my elbows. I really don't recommend that setting. Next time I will drop it to 59/57 and see how it feels. I also know that the 17G is a great thing to have on this racquet. But no confirmation yet. Will update more later.

tom4ny
09-17-2012, 05:46 AM
I added lead tape on my 300T. First I put it on 2 and 10. When I do that, the racquet seems really unpredictable. Sometimes I would hit the ball and it will overshoot the court by a longshot. Then the next hit I get; same hit, same form, but the ball would go inside the court.

However, when I put the lead tape from 11-1 (yes, all the way) It is very predictable, it gets rid of the vibration, and it provides the extra power that I need. This is the perfect setting for me.

As far as strings, I still have not found a favorite yet. I am using 16G VS Touch x 17G RPM Blast hybrid. However, I strung it way to high at 61/59. The result is that I have to swing really hard each time and it does a number on my elbows. I really don't recommend that setting. Next time I will drop it to 59/57 and see how it feels. I also know that the 17G is a great thing to have on this racquet. But no confirmation yet. Will update more later.

so glad to hear that it worked out for you with the lead tape! i agree with you that a little lead tape spread around the upper hoop is all that is needed. i don't think that i would string over 58 with the oval hoop and dense string pattern but that is me. i think that you have a great string set up too!! mine are all strung at 55/52 with kirshbaum proline II 17g. i am now trying the 18g version of pro line II and wow! will need to see how durability is but i love pro line II in the 300T. it is soft enough on my elbow to go full with a full poly setup. rpm blast works well too though. probably a bit more spinny and not quite as soft as kirshbaum but works well with this frame.

yoooki
06-21-2013, 08:54 PM
Haven't kept up with this in a while! My last post was almost exactly a year ago haha. Is everyone still using their biom 300 tours?

I'm still really happy with mine, but have changed a few things since I last posted : P. Currently have:
1. Dunlop Tour Classic leather replacement grip with two Solinco Wondergrip overgrips over the top
2. Solinco Outlast 17 (1.20mm) at 54 pounds
3. Head logo dampener II
4. Lead tape approximately 2 grams each at 10 and 2.

The lead tape thing is pseudo-experimental and more of a cosmetic thing for me really... Definitely plays better than having no lead tape but I just wana play and not be bogged down with all the tinkering. Just wondering though, how do people place their lead tape on their frames? I do mine like this:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/841/a9uu.jpg/
Saw someone else doing it and thought it was pretty cool, so have followed suit since!

qwertre
06-22-2013, 05:12 AM
Just picked up a couple of these in a trade! Haven't hit with one in my life, so it should be interesting.

LeeD
06-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Mine is leaded with 1/4" lead tape at 10-2 for a total of 12".
App. 320SW, it likes to hit a flatter, faster ball than my Aero300's, which have fewer strings. It also controls my fastest swings, while the 4DAero likes slower swings.

yoooki
06-23-2013, 05:42 AM
Mine is leaded with 1/4" lead tape at 10-2 for a total of 12".
App. 320SW, it likes to hit a flatter, faster ball than my Aero300's, which have fewer strings. It also controls my fastest swings, while the 4DAero likes slower swings.

Hey LeeD, just noticed you posted in that other thread as well haha. Interesting point about the ag4d. Just want to clarify whether you mean ag4d 300 or 300 tours.

Would you say that the ag4d is meant for slower swings? Because I tend to swing quite fast and whippy, so maybe that's why the ag4ds aren't working for me. I think I kind of understand though because I think they do play better if you focus more on timing with a relaxed but solid stroke rather than hitting for the fence. What do you reckon?