PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on Federer rebuilding his confidence

big mik
03-02-2012, 12:23 PM
I read this article (http://supertao.com/2012/03/01/is-federer-poised-for-a-rise-back-to-the-top/) yesterday and was hoping Federer would face Djokovic in the final to see if it was on point. May even be better for Federer to build his confidence before having to face Djokovic and Nadal in a final again though.

sureshs
03-02-2012, 12:26 PM
I read this article (http://supertao.com/2012/03/01/is-federer-poised-for-a-rise-back-to-the-top/) yesterday and was hoping Federer would face Djokovic in the final to see if it was on point. May even be better for Federer to build his confidence before having to face Djokovic and Nadal in a final again though.

It doesn't help. Whether he wins/loses to DP/Murray, he knows he can beat them if he wants to.

Djoker and Nadal are a whole level above.

DjokovicForTheWin
03-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Don't think Fed has it anymore to beat Nadal in a slam. But hope he proves me wrong.

FlashFlare11
03-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Don't think Fed has it anymore to beat Nadal in a slam. But hope he proves me wrong.

It's just a matter of being able to sustain a high level of consistency and shot-making abilities over an extended period of time. Roger can do it, but beating Nadal in a best-of-five match at this stage in his career is the toughest thing you could ask of Federer to do on a tennis court.

DjokovicForTheWin
03-02-2012, 02:17 PM
It's just a matter of being able to sustain a high level of consistency and shot-making abilities over an extended period of time. Roger can do it, but beating Nadal in a best-of-five match at this stage in his career is the toughest thing you could ask of Federer to do on a tennis court.

Thing is, I"m not sure it's only consistency and high level for longer than 3 games. It's more to do with even before the match. Just watch Roger carefully. He looks completely different than he does with others. Like he knows he's already lost or something. Yeah sure at WTF he crushed him, but come on, we know Nadal was not at his best. Neither is Fed of course, but still.

jackson vile
03-02-2012, 02:21 PM

Not really sure it has anything to do with confidence as much as it has to do with his conditioning. We saw him play some amazing 1-2 sets and then just have it all fall apart. He is playing great and then just seems to start getting tired, and I get that. These guys he is going up against are extremely physical in their play and get absolutely everything back. In order for him to keep that high of a level of play during a best of 5 sets he will have to have better conditioning.

sportsfan1
03-02-2012, 02:25 PM

Fed himself said after USO 2010 SF that he had started thinking ahead to a possible meeting with Nadal in the final and that it was a distraction. Of course, that loss helped spur confidence in Noel. It's an interesting point.

FlashFlare11
03-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Thing is, I"m not sure it's only consistency and high level for longer than 3 games. It's more to do with even before the match. Just watch Roger carefully. He looks completely different than he does with others. Like he knows he's already lost or something. Yeah sure at WTF he crushed him, but come on, we know Nadal was not at his best. Neither is Fed of course, but still.

Yeah, a lot of it is mental. He comes out onto the court partially defeated. He outplayed Nadal in the first set this past AO, but he only just barely won it in a tiebreaker. The same thing happened at RG; he was one point away from the set and when he lost his chance, he basically gave-up on the set. That's why I think it's so crucial that Federer avoids Nadal and takes advantage of any opportunity he gets when Nadal isn't there.

zagor
03-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Not really sure it has anything to do with confidence as much as it has to do with his conditioning. We saw him play some amazing 1-2 sets and then just have it all fall apart. He is playing great and then just seems to start getting tired, and I get that. These guys he is going up against are extremely physical in their play and get absolutely everything back. In order for him to keep that high of a level of play during a best of 5 sets he will have to have better conditioning.

Yes, lazy Fed, how come he at the age of 30-31 doesn't have the stamina/endurance his 5-6 years younger rivals have, it's a disgrace really.

You do know what a mileage is, do you LOLville? Don't worry, everything will be much clearer to you in about 4-5 years.

Love all
03-02-2012, 04:14 PM

Federer's face expressions look completely different while he steps on the court against Nadal. I first noticed in Rome 2006 and thought its bcoz of Federer wants to remain focussed and composed but now I think its some kind of fear that shows on his face.

big mik
03-02-2012, 04:26 PM

This is spot on and what the linked article within the article wriiten a couple years ago talked about, Federer fearing having to play Nadal.
I'm eager to see him face Nadal or Djokovic in a final to see if fed loses his confidence again before the match starts.

big mik
03-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Yeah, a lot of it is mental. He comes out onto the court partially defeated. He outplayed Nadal in the first set this past AO, but he only just barely won it in a tiebreaker. The same thing happened at RG; he was one point away from the set and when he lost his chance, he basically gave-up on the set. That's why I think it's so crucial that Federer avoids Nadal and takes advantage of any opportunity he gets when Nadal isn't there.

Lots of great points by everyone including the one about conditioning which I agree is generally getting harder for him, but when it comes to Nadal and Djokovic I think it's nearly all mental... Like he has a block about them.

Nathaniel_Near
03-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Yes, lazy Fed, how come he at the age of 30-31 doesn't have the stamina/endurance his 5-6 years younger rivals have, it's a disgrace really.

You do know what a mileage is, do you LOLville? Don't worry, everything will be much clearer to you in about 4-5 years.

I used to think you were a great poster, zagor, but now you have sullied your fine name by implying that LOLville could in fact *learn* something. You have failed us all, do you plead guilty?:twisted:

abmk
03-02-2012, 05:57 PM
I used to think you were a great poster, zagor, but now you have sullied your fine name by implying that LOLville could in fact *learn* something. You have failed us all, do you plead guilty?:twisted:

I agree with this ! Plead guilty, zag !!

Cup8489
03-02-2012, 06:16 PM

Dude, what the hell are you talking about? where did that 'lack of fitness' ***** come from? He's never lost a match due to fatigue... Ever. MAYBE the Wimbledon 2008 final, MAYBE rome 2006. but the only indicators to THAT would be poor shot selection..

You come up with some real gems LOLville... and you've no idea what you're talkin about here.

Sentinel
03-02-2012, 09:38 PM
Zagor said things would be "clearer", I don't think that amounts to "learning".

However, I am sure Zagor wasn't having his best day when he posted. Maybe injured or tired, or some combination of both. Or maybe he is posting indoors, without wind to kick up his posts.

monfed
03-03-2012, 12:03 AM
No amount of rebuilding is gonna help Fed against Ralph in slams. That window of opportunity was lost in AO 2009 when he could've set the record straight. Ditto for Ralph in AO 2012 against the Serbinator.

The coincidence is spooky. :shock:

Rozroz
03-03-2012, 01:04 AM
after seeing him VS Delpo yesterday i'm afraid the future is not bright.

Cup8489
03-03-2012, 10:07 AM
after seeing him VS Delpo yesterday i'm afraid the future is not bright.

what about today vs Murray?

Gonzalito17
03-03-2012, 12:58 PM
It doesn't help. Whether he wins/loses to DP/Murray, he knows he can beat them if he wants to.

Djoker and Nadal are a whole level above.

That's well said my friend,

Rozroz
03-03-2012, 01:10 PM
what about today vs Murray?

well, it was still his 30's game, not anything better, and he survived the Murray threat. a nice win indeed.
but still, i fear for his confidence in any other big matches. and it's mainly because his older body is a major reason for his confidence loss (which is a bit of a catch 22, no?)

TennisLovaLova
03-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Federer needs hypnosis to fight and hopefully overcome his nadal obssession/fear/panick

big mik
03-03-2012, 01:31 PM
well, it was still his 30's game, not anything better, and he survived the Murray threat. a nice win indeed.
but still, i fear for his confidence in any other big matches. and it's mainly because his older body is a major reason for his confidence loss (which is a bit of a catch 22, no?)

I agree. I really want to see what he can do against Nadal or Djokovic in a big final match as he seems to be making strides.

big mik
03-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Federer needs hypnosis to fight and hopefully overcome his nadal obssession/fear/panick

I don't know if hypnosis would help, but I do think he needs something to keep him relaxed and confident against Nadal.

Cross-court
03-03-2012, 02:24 PM

He needs to get stuck in an elevator with tony robbins.

big mik
03-06-2012, 07:08 PM
He needs to get stuck in an elevator with tony robbins.

I see where you are coming from, but I think he might hang himself in that scenario:razz:

kishnabe
03-06-2012, 07:17 PM

Oh really.

When I see Federer playing Nadal...I see him keeping his head down and wimpering. While against Djokovic and Murray he has spunk. He would ***** at himself when he makes a mistake.....and even if he is down a set and a break. Federer expects to win.....though against Nadal....not the case.

Only the first 2-3 games does Federer looks confident against Nadal.

All the sets of the 2011 FO final was Federer choking. Nadal should have lost that match in straights. The worst I ever seen Nadal play on clay and Federer best performance on clay. He loses two close sets and finally seals one in the third. Then a ****** 4th set....which was due to Nadal finally play some good CC tennis.

jackson vile
03-07-2012, 02:40 PM
The problem is that if it starts with confidence or lack there of, then it should start right away, not take 1-2 sets to start. All of a sudden he is not hitting his back hand with as much force and spin. His arm becomes tired after a while, and then the forehand shanks start in.

Oh really.

When I see Federer playing Nadal...I see him keeping his head down and wimpering. While against Djokovic and Murray he has spunk. He would ***** at himself when he makes a mistake.....and even if he is down a set and a break. Federer expects to win.....though against Nadal....not the case.

All the sets of the 2011 FO final was Federer choking. Nadal should have lost that match in straights. The worst I ever seen Nadal play on clay and Federer best performance on clay. He loses two close sets and finally seals one in the third. Then a ****** 4th set....which was due to Nadal finally play some good CC tennis.

big mik
03-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Oh really.

You hit the nail on the head!