PDA

View Full Version : Biggest pet peeve in pro tennis

wimble10
03-02-2012, 10:43 PM
I was watching Acapulco and the commentator mentioned some things about the game that could be changed. Which one of these, if any, would you like to see changed from the current rules.

A. You have to use the first 2 balls you get from the ball kid.

B. No use of towel allowed on court in between points (unless it's a tie-break, let's say).

C. No net cords allowed. Actually not sure what he meant by this. Maybe everything goes? I think college tennis tried this once. Or maybe whenever there is net cord, do a replay?

D. No trainers allowed for injuries in the middle of a match.

SirGounder
03-02-2012, 11:14 PM
I've always been just a bit perturbed by how long it takes some players to pick which balls to play.

jokinla
03-02-2012, 11:23 PM
No trainers please, they're just an excuse to take a break, stall, kill momentum, get a massage.

sbengte
03-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Funny they didn't include the introduction of shot clock or some other mechanism to ensure that players don't take unlimited time between points.

SystemicAnomaly
03-02-2012, 11:40 PM

C. No net cords allowed. Actually not sure what he meant by this. Maybe everything goes? I think college tennis tried this once. Or maybe whenever there is net cord, do a replay...

I believe that this is still the law of the land for Div 1 collegiate men's tennis. One of the primary reasons that this rule was adopted because receivers were sometimes "stealing" aces by claiming that it grazed the net. I actually like this rule that any serve that lands in the box is good.

However, I have not been able to get the guys that I play with adopt this rule because they are so programmed to stop play when they hear the ball hit the net. As a badminton player, I have no problems hitting a serve that has touched the net. In badminton, if the shuttle hits the net on the serve and lands in the proper area, the receiver loses that point because they failed to return it.

OTOH, badminton has a short service line. If the shuttle lands short of that line on a serve, it is a fault. Lower levels of tennis play might require such a short service line if the no-let rule was adopted. At higher levels (such as D1), the ball rarely hits the net on a serve and just dribbles over.

wimble10
03-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Funny they didn't include the introduction of shot clock or some other mechanism..
Well it all started because somebody wondered if Verdasco's shirt color should be illegal to wear since it had a lot of bright yellow (same color as the ball).

niff
03-03-2012, 12:12 AM
C. No net cords allowed. Actually not sure what he meant by this. Maybe everything goes? I think college tennis tried this once. Or maybe whenever there is net cord, do a replay.
I've heard that suggested before, as any net cord = fault.

Rozroz
03-03-2012, 01:03 AM
those options are pretty unfair, illogical and not very helpful on time wasting issues (only one is trainer- and waht if it's a real pain?)

joeri888
03-03-2012, 01:13 AM
Things I'd change:

1. More surface diversity
2. Shotclock for the server
3. 5 second clock to challenge. Can be overruled by the umpire in case the call wasn't obcvious, like in the Nalbandian match. But the Delpo thing should be banned.
4. If the ball is more than a feet out/in, you lose two challenges (so no challenges made to delay game)
5. Trainers should be allowed, but no medical timeouts. You have 90 seconds to do something, and can do that every changeover imo. That doesn't bother the opponent. If you need a timeout, you have lost the match.

goran_ace
03-03-2012, 01:18 AM
Guaranteed appearance fees.

Rozroz
03-03-2012, 01:18 AM
Things I'd change:

3. 5 second clock to challenge. Can be overruled by the umpire in case the call wasn't obcvious, like in the Nalbandian match. But the Delpo thing should be banned.
4. If the ball is more than a feet out/in, you lose two challenges (so no challenges made to delay game)
5. Trainers should be allowed, but no medical timeouts. You have 90 seconds to do something, and can do that every changeover imo. That doesn't bother the opponent. If you need a timeout, you have lost the match.

now THOSE are some hot rules :)

Larrysümmers
03-03-2012, 01:23 AM
joeri888-what about a p!ss break timeout?

joeri888
03-03-2012, 01:39 AM
joeri888-what about a p!ss break timeout?

Yeah, only between sets I'd say, and once in best of 3, twice in best of five? I think the umpire can decide on that. They're all human so you can't ban a peeing break. you can't really disallow someone to take a **** right?

Larrysümmers
03-03-2012, 01:48 AM
yeah with your no time out rule i was just curious on what you would say.
whats the rule now? you can go on a switch of ends?

West Coast Ace
03-03-2012, 10:07 AM
those options are pretty unfair, illogical and not very helpful on time wasting issues (only one is trainer- and waht if it's a real pain?)Well said. With no help from trainers the higher ranked guys with plenty of money in the bank would just retire at the first sign of pain in all but the Major finals - that's not going to help the fan experience.

These ex-players (isn't it Adler doing the commentary from Aca?) grumbling about the modern game are sad. When JMac and Nav start blathering about bringing back wood rackets, it makes you think they need to Drug Test the commentators...

jmverdugo
03-03-2012, 10:33 AM
I like the idea of the clock for serving time, then when your 25sec are over a buzz will let you know and you just faulted. I think it is important to start enforcing this rule, you already see small kids on tournies taking way too much time for serving.

Biscuitmcgriddleson
03-03-2012, 10:39 AM
I can understand picking balls, the toweling between points drives me crazy though. Especially when they have to towel off after bouncing the ball for 12 years and hitting an ace. I get that it's more ritualistic than anything else, but it goes too far. Sort of like Nomar Garciapara and his batting ritual http://articles.latimes.com/2006/sep/30/entertainment/et-nomar30

They both go a bit too far.

dafinch
03-03-2012, 10:41 AM
By far, the phony acknowledgement/apology on a net chord winner. Anybody who has watched tennis for more than, oh, 20 minutes, understands that a net chord is a lucky shot, so why in the world would a player acknowledge what is well known, let alone "apologize" for hitting a winner?

InspectorRacquet
03-03-2012, 10:47 AM
I agree with the picking of the balls. Players can take forever to choose two balls. They ask for four and send half back with a half second glance (not all, but some players).

Everything else should remain in effect. If the shot clock rule is enabled in tennis, the sports loses it's appeal as an honesty sport. Toweling off is extremely necessary because we all sweat, and we need medical time outs because everyone is in pain at some point.

Rozroz
03-03-2012, 10:52 AM
I agree with the picking of the balls. Players can take forever to choose two balls. They ask for four and send half back with a half second glance (not all, but some players).

i DO understand most of the players need to pick the newer balls.
and that not necessarily the biggest time waster.
however, question is if they could somehow find a way to already give the players the better balls.

Deuces Wild
03-03-2012, 11:08 AM
They need to introduce a decibel limit for shriekers.

Say Chi Sin Lo
03-03-2012, 12:51 PM
This is more of a pet peeve and certainly not a rule... And this only applies on hard court.

Why do pros slowly walk over to look at the line for a mark of where the previous ball landed. WHAT MARK?! :confused: I could be standing directly on top of a line and see nothing, not to mention if the line is on the opponent side.

Now the following is a rule:

The pros would slowly walk over to the net to look for said mark (which I highly doubt he/she can even see), and then challenge. Those of us who play enough tennis know that as soon as the ball leaves the racquet, we get a feel of where it'll land.

So, challenge or not, make up your mind on the spot. :evil: Don't take a Sunday stroll, ponder to your camp, and then slowly raise the hand to challenge.

jaggy
03-03-2012, 12:55 PM
I love that it let me vote for all the options

wimble10
03-03-2012, 06:33 PM
I think it would be interesting if they limited the number of racquets you could use in a match. Let's say 3 for a 3-set match and 5 for a best of 5. I never keep track of how often players switch racquets during a match. Also I don't remember the last time a player had to switch because of breaking strings. I guess they all use poly strings now.

rdis10093
03-03-2012, 06:39 PM
let serves are in play, that is what happens in college tennis.

West Coast Ace
03-03-2012, 07:56 PM
...Epecially when they have to towel off after bouncing the ball for 12 years and hitting an ace...The human body doesn't cool off that fast - sweating is a sign your body is overheated. I assume you don't play any sports.

What's the big rush? Why all these stories about how to fix tennis? They're getting record crowds - people must be ok with the overall product - except for the females screaming.

Hood_Man
03-03-2012, 08:04 PM
The only problem I have with the towels is expecting the ballkids to carry them and bring them to the players.

It's bodily fluids that those towels are being used for, and goodness knows what infectious diseases get spread in those locker rooms. The players should carry them themselves and just rest them on something between points.

Clarky21
03-03-2012, 08:08 PM
The only problem I have with the towels is expecting the ballkids to carry them and bring them to the players.

It's bodily fluids that those towels are being used for, and goodness knows what infectious diseases get spread in those locker rooms. The players should carry them themselves and just rest them on something between points.

I agree. It is disgusting to watch those kids get those nasty sweaty towels thrown in their faces the way they do. Players also blow their noses on those towels and whatever other bodily fluids they soak them in. It's a health hazard,to be honest.

rufus_smith
03-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Women should be made to play in tiny bikinis unless they are fat

SystemicAnomaly
03-03-2012, 09:29 PM
I've heard that suggested before, as any net cord = fault.

Never heard that suggested before. For D1 mens' tennis net cord = good serve (if it lands in the correct area).

wimble10
03-04-2012, 04:48 PM
I love that it let me vote for all the options
Glad you liked it.

Shaolin
03-04-2012, 05:02 PM
This is more of a pet peeve and certainly not a rule... And this only applies on hard court.

Why do pros slowly walk over to look at the line for a mark of where the previous ball landed. WHAT MARK?! :confused: I could be standing directly on top of a line and see nothing, not to mention if the line is on the opponent side.

Now the following is a rule:

The pros would slowly walk over to the net to look for said mark (which I highly doubt he/she can even see), and then challenge. Those of us who play enough tennis know that as soon as the ball leaves the racquet, we get a feel of where it'll land.

So, challenge or not, make up your mind on the spot. :evil: Don't take a Sunday stroll, ponder to your camp, and then slowly raise the hand to challenge.

Very often you can see a mark on hardcourts. Even using older balls on a public court. Pros are using brand new balls playing on newly surfaced and cleaned courts. This makes it easy to see marks. You should find something else to be bothered about.

Big_Dangerous
03-04-2012, 05:21 PM
I believe that this is still the law of the land for Div 1 collegiate men's tennis. One of the primary reasons that this rule was adopted because receivers were sometimes "stealing" aces by claiming that it grazed the net. I actually like this rule that any serve that lands in the box is good.

However, I have not been able to get the guys that I play with adopt this rule because they are so programmed to stop play when they hear the ball hit the net. As a badminton player, I have no problems hitting a serve that has touched the net. In badminton, if the shuttle hits the net on the serve and lands in the proper area, the receiver loses that point because they failed to return it.

OTOH, badminton has a short service line. If the shuttle lands short of that line on a serve, it is a fault. Lower levels of tennis play might require such a short service line if the no-let rule was adopted. At higher levels (such as D1), the ball rarely hits the net on a serve and just dribbles over.

I'm against the rule only because I'd hate to get aced one of those lets that hits the net and then barely trickles over... That's total ******** if that becomes an ace.

mellowyellow
03-04-2012, 05:27 PM
No toweling off after ace/nonreturnable or return winner.

mellowyellow
03-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Mainly I want the 20/25 sec rule adhered to, unless over 15/20 strokes then some leniency. Tired of seeing guys play tough points, take extra time then hit ace/service winner to get out of a 15-40 hole and momentum completely change....

PowerPlay
03-04-2012, 06:02 PM
The towel after every point is ridiculous. We get it...you sweat playing tennis. At the very least the players should have to get their own towel when they want it. Ball kids are for the balls, not the towels. Kids shouldn't have to fetch a sweaty towel.

The Wreck
03-04-2012, 06:42 PM
I think they should play let serves. 9 times out of 10 the path of the ball isn't really altered by the net. Not to mention players seem to argue about phantom let calls enough to make this a logical rule change. It goes over fine in college. Time to make it widespread.

I also hate how players will get 5 or 6 balls at a time and then pick one or two. It's just a stalling, time wasting measure. Get rid of it.

wangs78
03-04-2012, 08:12 PM

The only problem with this rule is what if the ball hits the cord and then just dribbles over the net such that it is unreturnable? Is that considered an ace? Perhaps the rule could say that as long as the trajectory of the ball is not changed from its touching the net then it is in play but I could see there being some close calls every once in a while.

OrangePower
03-04-2012, 09:23 PM
I was watching Acapulco and the commentator mentioned some things about the game that could be changed. Which one of these, if any, would you like to see changed from the current rules.

A. You have to use the first 2 balls you get from the ball kid.

B. No use of towel allowed on court in between points (unless it's a tie-break, let's say).

C. No net cords allowed. Actually not sure what he meant by this. Maybe everything goes? I think college tennis tried this once. Or maybe whenever there is net cord, do a replay?

D. No trainers allowed for injuries in the middle of a match.

A and B: These would not be a problem if there was a 'shot clock' between points (or if umpires actually enforced the current rules). You want to take your time choosing balls or toweling off, that's fine, as long as you are still within the time allowed between points.

C: In college tennis, let serves are in play. Works pretty well so I wouldn't mind seeing this in pro tennis. Sure you would get some lucky service winners, but so what - no different to lucky net cords during a rally.

D: I think trainers are fine as long as treatment is done during changeovers i.e. without needing to take a timeout. Fitness / health is part of the game... if you can get treated during changeovers and carry on, fine, otherwise, your opponent who is in better shape/health should be rewarded for that.

Champs990411
03-04-2012, 09:33 PM
The towel drives me insane. Watched Roddick one time open a match with a double fault then go straight into his garbage towel routine. Almost threw my tv out the window.

rossi46
03-05-2012, 01:08 AM
Lack of manliness on the tour. So many examples :

- Novak and his stupid dog.
- Murray and his mum.
- Berdych and the ball incident.
- Federer and his rear admiral outfit.
- Lack of womanizers, think Becker, Safin, Philippoussis.

And a massive lack of personality.

Backhanded Compliment
03-05-2012, 01:19 AM
Things I'd change:

good rules

Lack of manliness on the tour. So many examples :

- Novak and his stupid dog.
- Murray and his mum.
- Berdych and the ball incident.
- Federer and his rear admiral outfit.
- Lack of womanizers, think Becker, Safin, Philippoussis.

And a massive lack of personality.

Hilarious and you are correct!

Russeljones
03-05-2012, 01:23 AM
Towels have become an embarrassment.

tennytive
03-05-2012, 08:08 AM
On really hot days we used to tuck a hand towel in our waistband and use it while walking back to serve/receive. No delay and no one else exposed to it.

I would like to see the net cord allowed on serves. More likely than the dribble over ace would be the high bouncing sitter that the receiver could come in on and crush for a winner. Of course afterwards, he would hold up his hand and apologize…

Biggest pet peeve is the shrieking women. Warning, point penalty, game lost.

origmarm
03-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Things I'd change:

This (10,10)

Magnetite
03-05-2012, 09:31 AM
I understand choosing balls, because I do it, and practically everyone else does it.

The toweling off after every point isn't needed. I sweat like a beast, and even on hot 40+ days, I don't need to towel off after EVERY point.

I know it's important to not let sweat drip down your arms onto your grip, and I use sweat bands for that.

It's a bit ridiculous.

woodrow1029
03-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Things I'd change:

I agree with number 1.

SystemicAnomaly
03-05-2012, 05:11 PM
I'm against the rule only because I'd hate to get aced one of those lets that hits the net and then barely trickles over... That's total ******** if that becomes an ace.

The only problem with this rule is what if the ball hits the cord and then just dribbles over the net such that it is unreturnable? Is that considered an ace? Perhaps the rule could say that as long as the trajectory of the ball is not changed from its touching the net then it is in play but I could see there being some close calls every once in a while.

That is very rare in D1 men's tennis (where the rule is in effect). Also rare for pro tennis. For lower levels would see it a bit more often. One solution is to have a short service line as found in badminton (see image below). If the ball falls short of that line it could be considered a fault (or a let).

http://www.badminton-information.com/images/badminton-court.gif

Say Chi Sin Lo
03-05-2012, 05:18 PM
I understand choosing balls, because I do it, and practically everyone else does it.

No, not everyone does it, and if they do, they do it within reason.

I choose the same make and model that I've been playing with during that match, and whether or not it bounces. That's it.

I don't see a reason to choose between two sets of fresh, identical balls.

rommil
03-05-2012, 05:24 PM
They should make the players responsible for carrying/ fetching/ hanging their own towels, say that it has bodily fluids in them(make it sound like a sanitary issue). Maybe this will also discourage the players from asking and using the towel unneccessarily.