PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical results over the next few months

Agassifan
03-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Fed to defends 1350 (pre-french) + 1200 (french) + 360 (wimbledon)
Rafa to defend 3900 (pre-french) + 2000 (french) + 1200 (wimbledon)
Nole to defend 4250 (pre-french) + 720 (french) + 2000 (wimbledon)

Miami/IW
Nole 1600, Rafa 1200, Fed 960

Barcelona/MC
Rafa 1500

Rome/Madrid
Nole 1360, Rafa 1200, Fed 1360

This would leave Fed 700 points behind Rafa and 3300 behind Nole. If Rafa doesn't win the French open or doesnt' get to the Wimbledon final, he'll lose #2. If fed gets a good result in IW/Miami, watch out Nole!!!

Clarky21
03-03-2012, 11:12 AM

Miami/IW

Barcelona/MC
Rafa 1500

Rome/Madrid

This would leave Fed 700 points behind Rafa and 3300 behind Nole. If Rafa doesn't win the French open or doesnt' get to the Wimbledon final, he'll lose #2. If fed gets a good result in IW/Miami, watch out Nole!!!

You need to subtract some points for Nadal for MC. Humpty Dumpty is playing there so it's a guaranteed loss for Nadal.

Love all
03-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Federer to sweep North American Master's Series Events this month. I am sure about it.

MichaelNadal
03-03-2012, 12:09 PM
How is Fed so close? Seems a bit weird considering he didn't have a great year. (obviously that means he can gain alot of points and Rafa can't) but still, just seems really close considering he hasn't done that much.

Cup8489
03-03-2012, 12:26 PM
How is Fed so close? Seems a bit weird considering he didn't have a great year. (obviously that means he can gain alot of points and Rafa can't) but still, just seems really close considering he hasn't done that much.

Second half of last year. USO Semis, and then.. what, 3 titles I think, including Paris and London, without a single loss at London?

I'm surprised as well, but more surprised at how much points both Djokovic and Nadal are having to defend.

If Federer holds form.. who knows what could happen. But I'm not gonna assume anything. I just want a major this year. Number 1, despite how far away it seems, would be awesome as well, but I am just hopin for a major.

NadalAgassi
03-03-2012, 12:28 PM

Miami/IW

Barcelona/MC
Rafa 1500

Rome/Madrid

You are presuming Federer winning one of Rome or Madrid which is plainly silly.

kishnabe
03-03-2012, 01:31 PM

I think Federer has a very high chance of winning Madrid. Cause it plays too his strengths more than Rome.

2009 Champion, 2010 Runner Up, 2011 Semifinalist (Took a set of Nadal).

I can see it happening if he can play well on top of capitalizing on the big points. Though it won't mean much going into RG.

OP....I think Federer won't reach number 2. It up to how Novak and Nadal perform. If Federer wins both IW, Miami and reach RG final. That would give him a chance.

Agassifan
03-03-2012, 01:48 PM

He had an incredible end of the year and this is the Race so far this year

Novak Djokovic SRB 2180
Roger Federer SUI 1820
Rafael Nadal ESP 1440
Andy Murray GBR 1270

He will overtake Nole in the race if he has a better result in the next tournament.

Agassifan
03-03-2012, 01:51 PM

It is not silly. He will be the SF in every masters. Winning a couple of matches isn't that much of a stretch especially because he has had good results against the rest of the top 4 (including rafa in Madrid).

I think there is a 50% chance that Fed wins a Masters title before RG.

FlashFlare11
03-03-2012, 01:56 PM
I think Federer has a very high chance of winning Madrid. Cause it plays too his strengths more than Rome.

2009 Champion, 2010 Runner Up, 2011 Semifinalist (Took a set of Nadal).

I can see it happening if he can play well on top of capitalizing on the big points. Though it won't mean much going into RG.

OP....I think Federer won't reach number 2. It up to how Novak and Nadal perform. If Federer wins both IW, Miami and reach RG final. That would give him a chance.

My thoughts are the same. Federer's rise in the rankings are very dependent on how well Djokovic and Nadal perform. There aren't that many places Roger can improve his results between now and Wimbledon, whereas Djokovic and Nadal are defending a lot. Roger needs to have an outstanding two-three months coupled with an early loss here and there from Djokovic and Nadal.

With that said, Federer is doing all he can. He added Rotterdam (and won it) and is showing a sense of determination and confidence in these ATP 500 series events, places where he never used to give much of an effort. I think that with the determination he's showing and the confidence he's gained from winning Dubai and Rotterdam (del Potro and Murray are no small opponents), he'll make a very serious push for No. 2 and even, possibly (however remote it is), a threat to No. 1.

Towser83
03-03-2012, 02:02 PM

you mean in terms of points?

Seems weird but boiling it down to titles won in the last 12 months

Federer 3x 500, 1 master, + WTF = 3000 points

Nadal 1 500, 1 master, 1 slam = 3500 points.

So really although winning RG was a big factor since Federer did not win a slam, Federer almost made up the points with a WTF and 500s. If his other results were better - ie, finals, semis etc, he might have been ahead by now.

Really Novak has cost Nadal a lot, because he turned his season into a 3 title one, without him he could have had loads of titles and been much further ahead of Federer.

Cup8489
03-03-2012, 04:46 PM
you mean in terms of points?

Seems weird but boiling it down to titles won in the last 12 months

Federer 3x 500, 1 master, + WTF = 3000 points

Nadal 1 500, 1 master, 1 slam = 3500 points.

So really although winning RG was a big factor since Federer did not win a slam, Federer almost made up the points with a WTF and 500s. If his other results were better - ie, finals, semis etc, he might have been ahead by now.

Really Novak has cost Nadal a lot, because he turned his season into a 3 title one, without him he could have had loads of titles and been much further ahead of Federer.

It seems odd to me that Federer won more titles last year than Nadal.. when was the last time that happened, 2007?

nethawkwenatchee
03-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Murray is the one with almost nothing to defend (pre-French Open).

Towser83
03-03-2012, 09:42 PM
It seems odd to me that Federer won more titles last year than Nadal.. when was the last time that happened, 2007?

Yeah I know, strange isn't it? Djokovic really impacted Nadal's title haul last year. Going just on 2011 titles, Federer and Nadal both had a masters and a 500, Nadal getting a slam and Federer getting the WTF plus Doha. This year Fed lost Doha but has bagged 2 500s already. Again Djokovic might be crucial in deciding how many titles Nadal and Federer win each, because if he doesn't make a lot of finals I feel nadal will be able topick up more titles (even if he does, I think Nadal will get some wins)

Btw, yes the last time Federer won more titles than Nadal was 2007.Even in 2009 Federer won 4 titles to Nadal's 5

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Not just 'more' titles, Nadal will pick up ALL titles if Djokovic doesn't make the finals (Federer hasn't beaten Nadal outdoors since 2009 Madrid). And if Djokovic does make the finals but Nadal gets the upper-hand, then Nadal wins the titles too. One or the other could well happen, or a combination of both. Unlikely Djokovic will win 10 titles this year. And Nadal already looks in better physical condition this year than he did last year and a bit more aggressive too.

DjokovicForTheWin
03-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Nadal may never win another title.

Clarky21
03-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Not just 'more' titles, Nadal will pick up ALL titles if Djokovic doesn't make the finals (Federer hasn't beaten Nadal outdoors since 2009 Madrid). And if Djokovic does make the finals but Nadal gets the upper-hand, then Nadal wins the titles too. One or the other could well happen, or a combination of both. Unlikely Djokovic will win 10 titles this year. And Nadal already looks in better physical condition this year than he did last year and a bit more aggressive too.

Again,this post is just one gigantic facepalm.

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Nadal may never win another title.

It will be interesting to see how many consecutive slam-winning years he has. He can tie the record (eight) this year, and still only 25 going on 26. A chance at getting it to 10+ consecutive slam-winning years.

Cup8489
03-03-2012, 10:05 PM

Dude, what in the world are you talking about? Nadal last year got a random ankle injury in Australia. This year, he started of talking about how he was going to take all of February off to let his shoulder heal.. how is that starting off in better physical condition? And what has this more aggression done? He hasn't won a title this year yet..

*******s man.. they are crazy delusional.

Towser83
03-03-2012, 10:05 PM

What happened in Canada, Cinci, Shanghai, Tokyo? First 3 of those he didn't even make the final and in the other he lost to Murray.

You think Nadal will make every final this year?

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-03-2012, 10:16 PM
What happened in Canada, Cinci, Shanghai, Tokyo? First 3 of those he didn't even make the final and in the other he lost to Murray.

I only really count the year up to Wimbledon. That's when Nadal is defending most of his points. If he's making finals after that then say goodbye to anyone else (unless Djokovic still wins 10 titles). Nadal really only has to take care of things up until Wimbledon. He's already profited by making the Australian Open final, which means he now doesn't even need to make the US Open final (but he will). All that matters is winning Roland Garros and making the finals of other events, winning his pet events at Barcelona/Monte Carlo. The rest can be a huge profit.

sbengte
03-03-2012, 10:18 PM

(Didn't you know ? Nadal will make every final this year and the next 5 years).

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-03-2012, 10:22 PM
(Didn't you know ? Nadal will make every final this year and the next 5 years).

Not sure who said that. All I said regarding the next 5 years is that nobody knows when Nadal's slam-winning streak will end. It's at 7 years so far, and will tie the record of 8 years if he wins a slam this year. It is hard to rule out him extending that streak over the next 5 years, because obviously he's very consistent at Roland Garros and Wimbledon.

kishnabe
03-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Not sure who said that. All I said regarding the next 5 years is that nobody knows when Nadal's slam-winning streak will end. It's at 7 years so far, and will tie the record of 8 years if he wins a slam this year. It is hard to rule out him extending that streak over the next 5 years, because obviously he's very consistent at Roland Garros and Wimbledon.

I guess NadalAgassi or Clarky21 said that. Tennis is random but ordered at the same time....so who knows.

celoft
03-04-2012, 08:27 AM

Borg, Sampras and Federer won slams for 8 years in a row. Nadal will not break that record. Maybe he wins a slam this year(IF he avoids his daddy Nole somewhere) and ties the record. Maybe not even that. There's a reason why nobody wins slams for 9 years in a row. Mileage is the worst enemy.

It will be interesting to see how many consecutive slam-winning years he has. He can tie the record (eight) this year, and still only 25 going on 26. A chance at getting it to 10+ consecutive slam-winning years.

http://www.mahjoob.com/en/forums/images/smilies/cuckoo.gif

TopFH
03-04-2012, 09:40 AM
^He said 13+ years in another thread.

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Borg, Sampras and Federer won slams for 8 years in a row. Nadal will not break that record. Maybe he wins a slam this year(IF he avoids his daddy Nole somewhere) and ties the record. Maybe not even that. There's a reason why nobody wins slams for 9 years in a row. Mileage is the worst enemy.

http://www.mahjoob.com/en/forums/images/smilies/cuckoo.gif

My post said-
"Not sure who said that. All I said regarding the next 5 years is that nobody knows when Nadal's slam-winning streak will end. It's at 7 years so far, and will tie the record of 8 years if he wins a slam this year. It is hard to rule out him extending that streak over the next 5 years, because obviously he's very consistent at Roland Garros and Wimbledon."

Nobody may win slams for 9 years in a row, but Nadal is not a nobody. This year we're talking about the first man in history to win 7 French Opens, boy. Mileage is a problem Borg, Sampras and now Federer had. Nadal so far has no such problem.

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-04-2012, 11:14 AM
^He said 13+ years in another thread.

All I said regarding the next 5 years is that nobody knows when Nadal's slam-winning streak will end. It's at 7 years so far, and will tie the record of 8 years if he wins a slam this year. It is hard to rule out him extending that streak over the next 5 years, because obviously he's very consistent at Roland Garros and Wimbledon.

Nadal will tie the record for consecutive slam-winner years (eight) this year.

In 5 years time, I guess its hard to rule out him being at 13 consecutive slam-winning years.

Nadal not winning a slam in a year is something we really have to see before we can believe.

I made no such prediction regarding "13+ years". All I said was, over the next 5 years, rule things out at your own peril.

http://blog.eastbay.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/rafael-nadal-wins-us-open-1-359x278.jpg