PDA

View Full Version : Ektelon Model B

katematt
03-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Hello,

I am now the owner of an Ektelon Model B stringer. It was given to me from a former AD at a community college who used it for years.

I spoke with Tennis Machines and it appears the table has been upgraded but there doesn't seem to be anything else he can do with it. The crank is older, and does not appear to have any numbers to use to set it.

Not sure what to do with this machine as I have a Gamma 5003 that I currently use.

Is there a used market for this? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Clintspin
03-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Can you post pictures of the Model B? I have no idea what the setup is.

Steve Huff
03-03-2012, 09:11 PM
It won't string OS rackets, so that cuts its value down tremendously. Some people have turned the mounting arms around backwards to mount larger frames. I think you can do it on that one. You'd have to check to make sure.

katematt
03-08-2012, 09:13 AM
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp167/kattnmatt/stringer.jpg

katematt
03-08-2012, 09:19 AM
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp167/kattnmatt/Picture020.jpg

Clintspin
03-08-2012, 12:32 PM
I don't see why you couldn't sell it. Do you have the clamps?

email me: clintspin2 at yahoo dot com

David 110
03-08-2012, 02:34 PM
The turntable and glide bars are definitely model H. The base and tension arm may be Model B which could present a bit of a problem. An oversize racquet can be mounted, but the Model B tension arm is shorter than the model H version and may not be long enough to pull the center mains on the throat end of an oversize racquet before the tension head reaches the end of its travel. It might work OK, but it would be close. Midsize racquets would probably be OK. Most local welders could extend the tension arm which would solve that problem.

MAX PLY
03-08-2012, 06:30 PM
I agree--the turntable is pretty clearly a Model H so you can mount pretty much anything. Tension head looks a little rough and the arm looks a little short. I suspect you could add a Wise and have a very serviceable machine. Likewise, there may be folks with some Model Ds or DEs that may want the turntable--it would be effectively like an upgrade kit (which you cannot get anymore--actually I have a friend with a D that might be interested in it at the right price). I suspect you could get a $100-$200 for it. Good luck.

Clintspin
03-09-2012, 04:00 PM
I was hoping to chat in an email but haven't heard from you. I was curious what state you live in. I was also going to say you can find certain upgrades for this machine at the link below. David has done a good job at creating fixes for some of the problems you would have with the older Ektelon and a few other machines. He has been very helpful and easy to deal with.

https://sites.google.com/site/stringerupgrade/home

katematt
03-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Clintspin

I sent you an email. Been away from the computer at my daughters tournament. Thanks for the info. I checked out the site and I have heard of him before. I think the problem is that it is a Model B with a short arm. I still think I would have to have something welded.

Steve Huff
03-10-2012, 09:25 PM
You can't turn those arms around, but I'm pretty sure David is right, that looks like an H model table. If so, it should handle OS rackets fine. Try mounting an oversize frame in it to check. There is some oxidation, which might hurt the value a little, but it's still a solid machine.

katematt
06-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Finally broke down and spent some time with this machine. Compared to the Gamma 5003 I have it wasn't easy. Biggest problem was getting the string to line up for tensioning and if it was on the handle end I couldn't get it to release prior to the desired tension. so needless to say I couldn't get it to function, but then again other than my gamma I don't know much.

Probably to much time to figure it out which I don't have.

If some one would like to purchase, or a donation, I am happy to arrange. Photos of machine are listed above.

I am located in NJ.

interactant @ gmail dot com

Thanks.

coachrick
06-27-2012, 10:37 AM
If you can get consistent tensioning on the machine, it would be quite useful to someone stringing more 'conventional' rackets at normal tensions. I wouldn't want to use it as my only machine, but it could handle a wide variety of current rackets.

What part of NJ are you in? You may find some local interest here on the board.

MAX PLY
06-27-2012, 12:35 PM
^^
Agree with CoachRick. Honestly, the H style table looks in pretty good shape and would definitely be of value to someone with a D, DE or F. Tension head looks like a project. But, for someone already had one of those listed and who wanted the table (and maybe the tension head) it might be worth a 100 bucks or so plus shpping (the shipping costs should be way less without the stand). I can tell you that a friend and I restored a DE recently using a decent after-market upgrade kit (but not the no-longer available Ektelon one) and I would have much rather had your H-style table. Might want to call tennismachinesdotcom to see if they have any interest.

jim e
06-27-2012, 01:42 PM
You may want to contact tennis machines dot com, and see if they can come up with a longer arm for you, as if so that and a new crank and you would be all set.
Just 2 new or used pieces and machine should handle just about anything.

dak95_00
06-27-2012, 02:56 PM
You could easily put a Wise on it and then it would make someone a fantastic machine. I had a Model D w/ that table. It'll mount any racquet. I've seen people make the arm longer which is the real problem unless it has a brake under the table.

I see it does have the brake from the pics. You ought to be able to lock the racquet and pull but you will be pulling at a weird angle due to the racquet handle being in the way for the normal angle.

Whoever cam up w/ the idea to raise the mounting so the racquet could spin 360 degrees was a genious that Ektelon/Prince needed working for them 40 years ago when they started producing these things. Have they figured it out yet? The NEOS 1000 doesn't have 360 turn does it?

katematt
06-28-2012, 05:25 AM
To answer a previous question I also have at least two but maybe three sets of clamps as well.

Oh an some very old string that goes with it, all early syn gut it appears. No real stuff or I'd use that.

David 110
06-28-2012, 06:31 AM
Please see the attached video on how to pull main strings on an Ektelon Model D. This technique not only solves the tension arm length problem, but also results in more consistent tension. Many of the upgrade kit users string the mains as shown in the video and have been very pleased with the results. I also use the technique on my Model H even though it has the longer tension arm and can pull mains from the throat end. Hope this helps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHaUrtUqS_M&feature=plcp

katematt
06-28-2012, 07:09 AM
Thanks David, I actually do pull two at a time on the mains with my Gamma.

We'll give this a try and see if I can use it. I would love a Neos upgrade from my Gamma so if I can learn on this one it would be a good start.

Tom