PDA

View Full Version : Which raket plays between Dunlop 200 Tour and Babolat APDGT?

daniel_28
03-04-2012, 02:38 AM
I currently play with the APD GT. Like the quick swing & spin, but miss some stabilty and precision.

Tried the Dunlop 200 Tour. Great reacket! Good feel, power and stable, but miss a bit of spin bite to generate quick spin(compared to the APD GT) and 1st serving is not great. Racket SW is a bit to high too generate a quick swing for a fast flat serve..

Any of you test guru's have ideas for me? It seems I am a 6.0 player (?? we don't have that system in Europe)

Vasuri
03-04-2012, 05:09 AM
Dunlop 200 Tour is very heavy and also has very high swing weight.

Try similar racquets with lower weight and SW, e.g. Head Youtek IG Prestige Pro or Wilson BLX six one 95 16x18

Avadia
03-04-2012, 06:52 AM
The 6.0 level is basically where pro level starts. So if you are a touring pro, then yes you are a 6.0. If you are a solid amateur player, then you are probably somewhere on the scale between 3.5 and 5.5.

As for your question, the APD GT and the Dunlop Bio 200 Tour could hardly be any more different. There are lots of racquets in between the two. If you want a fast, spin-generating racquet like the APD, you are going to give up the heft that provides rock solid stability and plow through of the Bio 200T. Likewise, if you want a solid, stable racquet, you are probably going to give up some racquet head speed, spin generation, and larger sweet spot from a lighter weight and larger head size racquet.

You may want to try the new Wilson PS 6.1 95. It should be pretty solid and stable, but still provide some maneuverability and spin. Or how about the "non-tour" version of the Dunlop Bio 200 (although it has a tight string pattern)?

prjacobs
03-04-2012, 06:55 AM
6.0? If your really a 6.0 you should have your 3 coaches telling you what racquet and you should be playtesting, not browsing these forums, Your probably a 3.5. Btw you spell it as Racquet or Racket, the latter looks ugly so I reccomend you do not spell it as Racket.

... You say the 200T is too heavy yet you try the TOUR version which is meant to be heavier. Try the 200 or 200 Lite and you will be happy.

Chyeeah, the european rating system has very different numerical values than what we use over here. A 6.0 is a lot lower rating over there. I know I've seen a chart with the equivalents on the forum but I just can't remember where.

Daniel, to answer your question - quite a lot of frames. You're going to about the heaviest frame made that has very little power from a light tweener that's stiff and powerful. I think you aren't getting as much spin from the dunlop because of the 12.5 ounce weight. It has a 16 x 18 string pattern which is generally made for spin. You could try adding lead to your APD or why not try and split the difference in weight and look for something @ around 11.5 ounces with a 16 X 18 or 16 X 19 pattern. You can use TW's racquet finder and get a ton of possibilities. Good luck.

As I was writing this, I see that a great answer came in from TheOneHander. I was also thinking of the BLX 6.1 16 X 18. Again, good luck!

hoodjem
03-04-2012, 06:59 AM
APD GT is 100 sq. in. and weighs 11.3 ounces.

BIO 200 Tour is 95 sq. in and weighs 12.5 ounces.

Huge difference, and Dunlops and Babs feel nothing alike.

TheOneHander
03-04-2012, 07:02 AM
I currently play with the APD GT. Like the quick swing & spin, but miss some stabilty and precision.

Tried the Dunlop 200 Tour. Great reacket! Good feel, power and stable, but miss a bit of spin bite to generate quick spin(compared to the APD GT) and 1st serving is not great. Racket SW is a bit to high too generate a quick swing for a fast flat serve..

Any of you test guru's have ideas for me? It seems I am a 6.0 player (?? we don't have that system in Europe)

Your skill level, relatively, doesn't matter. What does matter is your playing style, any health issues, strengths and weaknesses, conditioning, etc. I would recommend leading up your APDGT if you miss stability-try some grams in the throat (the APDGT is a very polarized racquet and this will add some stability to the center of the frame). If you want a slightly less weighty frame, I recommend the BLX 6.1 95 16x18 (not the Prostaff version). While still maneuverable, it's a cannon and spin is just phenomenal.

6.0? If your really a 6.0 you should have your 3 coaches telling you what racquet and you should be playtesting, not browsing these forums, Your probably a 3.5. Btw you spell it as Racquet or Racket, the latter looks ugly so I reccomend you do not spell it as Racket.

... You say the 200T is too heavy yet you try the TOUR version which is meant to be heavier. Try the 200 or 200 Lite and you will be happy.

1) And who are you to be telling him how he should be doing things? You lack the faculties to use the correct form of "your" or "you're", much less the faculties to give a fellow player some good advice. Have some tact.
2) And who cares which spelling he uses? The first instance was a typo, and the man isn't from an anglophone country as it is. It's not a big deal, although it's especially ironic knowing your grasp of contractions.
3) Your last paragraph makes no sense. Yes, he tried the Tour version, but not because he's stupid and tries racquets out of his weight range. People try heavy racquets in order to see how they handle them. In his case, he didn't like the higher weight, so he's asking us for some advice.

Chyeaah, I strongly advise that you calm down. You're trying too hard to play the tough guy. Just keep in mind two things: you're a teenager on a message board, and patience is a must (especially when interacting with those who do not speak English as a first language).

cellofaan
03-04-2012, 07:04 AM
A Dutch 6 should be somewhat equivalent to an American 3.5 or 4.0 according to this chart http://www.itftennis.com/shared/medialibrary/pdf/original/IO_43630_original.PDF
The chart is somewhat old, and the requirements for becoming a 6 are quite a bit higher than they used to be, so I think a 6 is currently closer to 4.0 than 3.5.
Or he self rated using that USA rating description thing.

As for the racquets, it kind of depends what you want, a lighter version of the 200T, or a more stable version of the APDGT.
You could try the regular 200 version, which is nearly the same as the 200T, but lighter. Or even the 200 16x19, which is even lighter but still has a somewhat similar feel.
Or you could add lead to your APDGT, which will increase the stability, but not the precision.

Anton
03-04-2012, 08:10 AM

Did you try adding weight to APD?

Heavy is good, heavy is reliable...

daniel_28
03-04-2012, 09:03 AM
[QUOTE=TheOneHander;6367917]Your skill level, relatively, doesn't matter. What does matter is your playing style, any health issues, strengths and weaknesses, conditioning, etc. I would recommend leading up your APDGT if you miss stability-try some grams in the throat (the APDGT is a very polarized racquet and this will add some stability to the center of the frame). If you want a slightly less weighty frame, I recommend the BLX 6.1 95 16x18 (not the Prostaff version). While still maneuverable, it's a cannon and spin is just phenomenal.

many thanks guys. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned level, but I thought it would give an idea of which racquet to suit my level.

I didn't exactly know the level system. sorry for that.
I used to be touring the futures and had my fair share of points. So I know their are lots of levels within a 'touring pro'. 10 years ago I was number 28 in my country. I still practice with our topplayers and guys who are top 500 ATP every week. But obvious, I now don't have the strenght in my legs anymore at my 30 years of age. So I guess I am not a 6.0 than. sorry again.

But coming back to racquets, Yes I leaded my APD GT to 320 grams unstrung. And yes I have no problems with a heavier racquet like 330 grams unstrung. I use to play very long with the Head prestige classic 600. But the APD is a great racket that suits my game, but misses precision sometimes. No I am looking for something in between. And No, my game doesn't fit 18x20 anymore.

So I will try Wilson BLX 6.1 16x18 and the Head Prestige Pro.

thanks again.

TripleB
03-04-2012, 10:05 AM
If ordering a Dunlop AG 4D 200 Tour, Pay T-W to find the one they have in stock with the lightest swingweight.

The unstrung specs of my Dunlop AeroGel 4D 200 Tours (all 5 of them) are 11.93 ounces, 12 1/4" balance, and swingweight of 302.

Strung specs with overgrip, rubberband, and headtape are 12.45 ounces and 12 3/4" balance point. Not sure what the strung swingweight is but I seriously doubt that it's 352 as the T-W Specs say if it started at 302 unstrung.

I'm using Tourna Big Hitter Silver Rough 1.25mm mains and Gosen OG Sheep Micro Super 1.25mm crosses at 49/52...I get a great amount of spin.

If you want even more spin go with Solinco Tour Bite 1.20mm mains...you will get unbelievable spin but will give up some power and control (at least I did).

Go with the Tour 200 and learn to live with the extra weight...trust me, you cannot find the solid feel of the 200 Tour in a lighter racquet. I've tried over 200 racquets and nothing comes close (POG Mid maybe, but I love the 200 Tour more).

Good luck with your search!!!

TripleB

LeeD
03-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Basically, EVERY player's racket from any company.
The Dunlop has the softest head, medium soft throat.
From Dunlop, maybe th new 400 versions.