PDA

View Full Version : How many titles for Federer this season?

joeri888
03-04-2012, 04:19 AM
Easy question. Since he believes he can be no. 1, I expect him to go for a lot of smaller titles, moreso than maybe the last few years when he focussed more on Slams. Do you think he can win more than five titles for the first time since 2007?

Paul Murphy
03-04-2012, 04:24 AM
Yes. As long as he picks and chooses carefully.
He'll always be in with a big shot in Halle, Basel, Paris and London.
Throw in Wimbledon.
He's a decent chance in Cincy and the USO too.

Homeboy Hotel
03-04-2012, 04:28 AM
I do not understand the ideological shift.

Federer post-prime and working with Annacone was suppose to establish a key point in Federer's career where he wants to prioritise slams now over small tournaments.

Now all of a sudden it's all about the small tournaments and not the slams?

Have fans given up on the idea of him beating Nadal/Djokovic in a slam and think he can "do an Almagro" by climbing the rankings by winning small tournaments like Gstaad, Ktzbuhel and Winston Salen for the rest of his career?

SLD76
03-04-2012, 04:47 AM
I do not understand the ideological shift.

Federer post-prime and working with Annacone was suppose to establish a key point in Federer's career where he wants to prioritise slams now over small tournaments.

Now all of a sudden it's all about the small tournaments and not the slams?

Have fans given up on the idea of him beating Nadal/Djokovic in a slam and think he can "do an Almagro" by climbing the rankings by winning small tournaments like Gstaad, Ktzbuhel and Winston Salen for the rest of his career?

....when did he ever prioritize small tournaments over slams??

That sentence right there lost you what little credibility you have.

Comparing Dubai, Paris and WTF with Gstaad, and WS as well?

Good job trolling. Really good effort.

SLD76
03-04-2012, 04:48 AM
Easy question. Since he believes he can be no. 1, I expect him to go for a lot of smaller titles, moreso than maybe the last few years when he focussed more on Slams. Do you think he can win more than five titles for the first time since 2007?

being conservative, I say 20 titles.

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-04-2012, 05:31 AM
How is playing small tournaments going to help him win slams exactly? Also, he's spoken about the Olympic singles Gold. He best be rested for that.

celoft
03-04-2012, 05:38 AM
6-7......................

DjokovicForTheWin
03-04-2012, 05:43 AM
How is playing small tournaments going to help him win slams exactly? Also, he's spoken about the Olympic singles Gold. He best be rested for that.

Not everyone needs to whine about being tired before every tourney.

celoft
03-04-2012, 05:46 AM
For Nadal:

3-4 titles.

Federer will win more titles than Nadal this year. Like in 2011.

purge
03-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Not everyone needs to whine about being tired before every tourney.
or after every tourney.. or during every tourney.. or right after getting out of bed -.-

tenniselbow1
03-04-2012, 08:26 AM
....when did he ever prioritize small tournaments over slams??

That sentence right there lost you what little credibility you have.

Comparing Dubai, Paris and WTF with Gstaad, and WS as well?

Good job trolling. Really good effort.

This guy needs to be put on a watch list.

TopFH
03-04-2012, 08:31 AM
or after every tourney.. or during every tourney.. or right after getting out of bed -.-

Or after injuring himself by sitting then playing a six hour-five set final...

tenniselbow1
03-04-2012, 08:34 AM
The more tourneys he plays leading to the summer gives Fed a 50% chance to be seeded second. This means insta-doom for Rafa and an amazing chance for a slam win for FED at the remaining 3 slams the moment the draws are released. Rafa can keep his bags packed if he falls on Novak's half, as the Serb is not losing before the semis or to Rafa this year in a slam.

Hood_Man
03-04-2012, 08:40 AM
I don't think is about Slams. How depressing would it be for him if he only gave his full effort in tournaments he no longer has a great chance at winning? He'd spend all his time losing.

Winning an ATP 250 final is still a victory speech at a trophy presentation.

I can see him reaching 6 wins this year, even if they're all 500s and 250s. He's off to a better start than he's had in years.

[EDIT]

Federer was more choked up for instance when he won Basel last year than he was when he won Wimbledon 2009 and the Australian Open 2010.

tudwell
03-04-2012, 08:56 AM
I voted 6-7. He's already got two. He's way ahead of schedule compared to the last few years. He could bag Halle and Basel, maybe a masters (he's still a force to be reckoned with at Cincinnati and Madrid), and he's got a shot at winning some of the bigger indoor events.

I don't know why, but he's really been revitalized since that loss to Djoker at the U.S. Open.

Edit: Forgot about the Olympics, which is on grass this year. He's had a bad history at the Olympics, but maybe knowing this is probably his last reasonable chance at getting a gold medal, he'll keep his head and play to his ability.

TennezSport
03-04-2012, 09:23 AM
Try looking at it this way.

If Fed plays more of the smaller tournys and plans carefully, he will put huge pressure on both Rafa and Djoker which could make them play more to stay ahead. Both Rafa and Djoker have a lot of points to defend this year and we all know from past evidence, that when Rafa plays too much he gets injured and Djoker burns out. This will give Fed a better chance at the big tournys if they come in tired and injured. Not saying this is his plan, but it works for him to force them to overplay with their styles of play; increase the pressure.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

purge
03-04-2012, 09:45 AM
in the long run, every title helps feds cause of getting into swinging distance of the #2 spot. and thats the only thing thats been standing between him and some more slams over the last year

dlk
03-04-2012, 09:52 AM
No seriously 4-5 this year (counting what he already has); I do see him eventually passing Lendl. And if he wanted to hand around for fun, he could pass Connors.

Towser83
03-04-2012, 09:56 AM
probably 5 ish

He's got two, has a good chance in Basel and the WTF (but a 7th title there would be a bit much maybe) also Cinci is a good chance for him.Halle I think is nadal's, he'll make sure he gets to the final knowing Federer will probably be there.

Nathaniel_Near
03-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Realistically, I would like him to win 6-7 titles, but I reckon he'll manage 4 or 5.

Something like Rotterdam, Dubai, Madrid, Halle, Wimbledon, US Open, Paris would be nice, but he'll probably win something like Rotterdam, Dubai, Halle, Cinci, Basel.

stringertom
03-04-2012, 10:12 AM
I predict seven. Two in the bag, Halle/Basel (the only two remaining non-Slam/MS/Olympics events on his schedule), two of the three in London (Wimby/Oly/WTF), and completion of Project 17 @ RG, the fastest major, thanks to those lovely Babolat balls.

kiki
03-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Yes. As long as he picks and chooses carefully.
He'll always be in with a big shot in Halle, Basel, Paris and London.
Throw in Wimbledon.
He's a decent chance in Cincy and the USO too.

In which tour, ATP or WTA?:)

jackson vile
03-04-2012, 10:36 AM
The strange thing is that Federer is doing so well, all he has been doing is losing to Nadal as usual. Season is looking great for him, I did not expect this to be happening at all.

kishnabe
03-04-2012, 02:11 PM
3-6+

Obtained: Rotterdam, Dubai.

Unquestioned: Halle, Basel, WTF

Questionable: Wimbledon, US Open, All HC masters.

tennnnis
03-04-2012, 03:45 PM
3 more for fed this season

paris masters
basel indoors
wtf(indoors)

raphMODE
03-04-2012, 03:54 PM
3 ATP 500
2 Master 1000
1 Slam
Year end WTF

7 titles.

The Bawss
03-04-2012, 05:43 PM
3-6+

Obtained: Rotterdam, Dubai.

Unquestioned: Halle, Basel, WTF

Questionable: Wimbledon, US Open, All HC masters.

How are Halle, Basel and WTF a lock for Federer? Nadal plays Halle. Djokovic plays Basel and the top 8 play the WTF.
The only person who really is a lock to win a tournament is Nadal at MC/RG and even that is questionable now with Djole around.

Murrayalmagrofan
03-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Realistically, I would like him to win 6-7 titles, but I reckon he'll manage 4 or 5.
Agreed. He already has 2, 4-5 seems very realistic. Hopefully there's a slam or an Olympic gold in his future this season.

Sentinel
03-04-2012, 07:32 PM
This year Ralpha is winning everything, so I'd put a cap on Roger for 3 or so. Unless he starts playing challengers, in which case the sky's the limit.

Hitman
03-05-2012, 12:30 PM
I think 6-7 titles is where he will be if things fall his way. He is off to a great start, but the upcoming maters haven't been too favorable to him these past few years. So there could be a dry period coming.

Nathaniel_Near
03-05-2012, 12:42 PM
This year Ralpha is winning everything, so I'd put a cap on Roger for 3 or so. Unless he starts playing challengers, in which case the sky's the limit.

Good point, actually.

cknobman
03-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Im going to try and stay in reality here and go 4-5 since he has already picked up 2.

6-7 would be awesome but at this point I personally consider that to be a stretch.

Really I would be happy with just 1 more title as long as it was a grand slam.

cknobman
03-05-2012, 01:14 PM

Good point especially since Rafa has dominated the tour this year thus far :)

Castiel
03-05-2012, 02:50 PM

Something like Rotterdam, Dubai, Madrid, Halle, Wimbledon, US Open, Paris would be legendary, but he'll probably win something like Rotterdam, Dubai, Halle, Cinci, Basel.

fixed it for you..
I agree with what you've said though I hope he can just put one more slam in his bag.
Wimbledon don't think so at all, he didn't play that well there lately,however, god knows what would have happend had he not thrown away all those match points against novak (of course credit to novak for fighting them off but still.. it's a shame) so in the us open he has a good chance IMO

Sentinel
03-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Good point especially since Rafa has dominated the tour this year thus far :)
Heard of "calm before the storm" ?

cknobman
03-06-2012, 05:25 AM
I imagine Nadal has spent the past 3 weeks working with his team to figure out a way to beat Djokovic.

Calm before the storm may be correct but lets hope hes building up a hurricane and not some west texas dust storm.

Love all
03-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Federer has won a lot lesser than what he must have since 2007. His game deserved more and was capable of winning 8 titles per year. Federer had various uncharastaristc losses since then. Losing despite having match points, and to one player in succesive meetings was not like a champion.

Love all
03-07-2012, 12:06 AM
He will win at least 9 titles defnitely, with grabbing 2 master series titles before the French.
This is the year for Federer to turn the tides. I am seeing him doing much better this year.

Logan71
03-07-2012, 03:26 AM
For the moment he seems to have eradicated the loss of match sharpness against the top 5 downwards.He's still a major doubt for beating Novak& Rafa at slam level,but he beat Murray pretty handily so I see 6 titles,and maybe if he can maintain the highest level he has a genuine shot to win Wimbledon&USopen.

Despite what he says Federer is juggling many balls these days.Tour commitments,Wife,Children,Training etc....

I really think more than his age these last 2 years these multiple factors have effected him more than he would admit, but I guess he has adjusted well now with the girls being older and is more mentally fresh again. With the threat from younger rivals too he is using that to motivate him.

He seems reborn to me which was different form 2011 after London.He really has sorted Del Potro which I didn't expect.

I expect him to come through tough situations now so Semis of slams are the only question and he has failed at 2 in the middle of this great run if you go back to the US2011.

joeri888
03-07-2012, 06:03 AM
For the moment he seems to have eradicated the loss of match sharpness against the top 5 downwards.He's still a major doubt for beating Novak& Rafa at slam level,but he beat Murray pretty handily so I see 6 titles,and maybe if he can maintain the highest level he has a genuine shot to win Wimbledon&USopen.

Despite what he says Federer is juggling many balls these days.Tour commitments,Wife,Children,Training etc....

I really think more than his age these last 2 years these multiple factors have effected him more than he would admit, but I guess he has adjusted well now with the girls being older and is more mentally fresh again. With the threat from younger rivals too he is using that to motivate him.

He seems reborn to me which was different form 2011 after London.He really has sorted Del Potro which I didn't expect.

I expect him to come through tough situations now so Semis of slams are the only question and he has failed at 2 in the middle of this great run if you go back to the US2011.

I think it's more just Djokovic and Nadal, which are at a level somewhat below Federer's best but way above Federer's current best, then about some mental or physical barrier at the Slams.

celoft
03-07-2012, 06:09 AM

Connors won three slams as a father. Federer already won one slam as a father. Maybe he can win two more.

raphMODE
03-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Connors won three slams as a father. Federer already won one slam as a father. Maybe he can win two more.
Is it another record to beat ?
"Number of Slam won after being a father" :D

joeri888
03-19-2012, 12:48 AM
And that's title number 3 of the year. A biggie

sheq
03-19-2012, 12:57 AM
He has started the season so fast and already have 3 titles. I say Halle, Basel and one more master is highly possible for him. Also, i expect him to win WTF this year again and Us open or Wimbledon.

That means at least 6 titles and 8 titles at the most. It will be enough for him for reaching top spot if he can reach at least semifnals at other tourneys.

Russeljones
03-19-2012, 01:34 AM
When will fatigue overtake confidence?

joeri888
03-19-2012, 02:08 AM
When will fatigue overtake confidence?

When he stops scheduling like Federer. I think he'll skip Monte Carlo at least and take it easy for a while after Miami. He has a good run now and will probably play a few more matches in Miami. Than he loses and just has a big rest until Madrid

Feather
03-19-2012, 02:41 AM
Already three, I would like to see him win 5 more.

celoft
03-19-2012, 05:40 AM
8 titles........................

raphMODE
05-12-2012, 06:19 PM
4th is coming, hopefully...

Sentinel
05-12-2012, 08:06 PM
I am surprised GoatBaah hasn't answered this question for us. ;)

I imagine Nadal has spent the past 3 weeks working with his team to figure out a way to beat Djokovic.

Calm before the storm may be correct but lets hope hes building up a hurricane and not some west texas dust storm.
Happily, he has figured Nole out, but only *** knows the secret sauce.

He will win at least 9 titles defnitely, with grabbing 2 master series titles before the French.
This is the year for Federer to turn the tides. I am seeing him doing much better this year.
Pretty good.

FlashFlare11
05-12-2012, 08:08 PM
Pretty good.

Don't jinx it!

cknobman
05-14-2012, 06:28 AM
Roger must have seen that I voted 4-5 and is trying to prove me wrong.

Hood_Man
05-14-2012, 08:17 AM
I don't know, I'm normally so cautious and pessimistic, but he's already won as many titles as he did in 2008, 2009 and 2011 and it's not even June.

And to think he still has the indoor season at the end of the year when everyone else will be worn out :shock:

[EDIT]

Corrected, thanks for pointing it out joeri :)

I need to go to bed...

Semi-Pro
05-14-2012, 08:29 AM
Will probably clean up the indoor season like he usually does and have 6-8 titles this year

joeri888
05-14-2012, 08:34 AM
I don't know, I'm normally so cautious and pessimistic, but he's already won more titles than he did in 2008, 2009 and 2011 and it's not even June.

And to think he still has the indoor season at the end of the year when everyone else will be worn out :shock:

He equaled 2011 and 2008 right?
2009 he won more I think. Madrid, Roland Garros, Wimbledon, Cincy come to mind and I think I must have missed one?

2008: Estoril, Halle, USO, Basel,
2011: Doha, Basel, Bercy, WTF
2012: Rotterdam, Dubai, Indian Wells, Madrid

tennis_pro
05-14-2012, 08:35 AM
Let's look at his chances:

Rome - tired from Madrid, has to beat Djokovic and Nadal to win
The FO - unless he's drawn with Murray in one half, his chances are slim
Wimbledon - the biggest mistery, how on earth did Federer lose at the QF stage 2 years in a row?
Olympics - depends on how he does at Wimbledon
Canada/Cincinnati -he's a best-of-3 beast, will probably take one of them
US Open - depends on the draw, he has a good shot nevertheless
The indoor season - I think he can grab 2-3 titles

Overall 6-9

tennis_pro
05-14-2012, 08:37 AM
2009 he won more I think. Madrid, Roland Garros, Wimbledon, Cincy come to mind and I think I must have missed one?

That's it. He won 4 titles in 2008, 2009, 2011, 5 titles in 2010. 4 so far in 2012.

Hood_Man
05-14-2012, 11:44 AM

You're absolutely right, my head's not screwed on today.

I meant to say "As many as" not "more than" :oops:

Madrid, Roland Garros, Wimbledon and Cincy were his wins in 2009 yeah.

tennis_pro
08-20-2012, 06:57 AM
So Fed's got 6 titles in the bag already and his most favorite part of the season is yet to come.

Still to be played:
the US Open
Beijing/Tokyo (if he decides to play)
Shanghai (if he decides to play)
Basel
the Paris Masters
the Tennis Masters Cup (the way it should be named:))

tennis_pro
08-20-2012, 07:03 AM
Let's look at some of the predictions after reality arrived:

Rome - tired from Madrid, has to beat Djokovic and Nadal to win - correct
The FO - unless he's drawn with Murray in one half, his chances are slim -correct
Wimbledon - the biggest mistery, how on earth did Federer lose at the QF stage 2 years in a row? - no guess, incorrect
Olympics - depends on how he does at Wimbledon - if not for the Del Potro match, I think he would've won but that's "lala land";-)
Canada/Cincinnati -he's a best-of-3 beast, will probably take one of them -correct
US Open - depends on the draw, he has a good shot nevertheless - depends on Murray landing in one section or the other, if Fed's drawn with Ferrer, I think Fed will win the title
The indoor season - I think he can grab 2-3 titles - yet to see, I stick with that

Overall 6-9

tudwell
08-20-2012, 07:29 AM
I voted 6-7, but it could easily be more at this point. Does anyone think Federer can match his personal record of four Masters titles in a year for a third time? That would be a huge turnaround from his performance in Masters events in the last few years.

raphMODE
08-20-2012, 02:09 PM
I voted 6-7, but it could easily be more at this point. Does anyone think Federer can match his personal record of four Masters titles in a year for a third time? That would be a huge turnaround from his performance in Masters events in the last few years.
Shanghai is still on his schedule (http://www.rogerfederer.com/en/tennis/schedule/tournament/444-shanghai-rolex-masters-2012.html)
If he finally plays there, he could even win 2 more M1000 and equal the amazing record of Djokovic in 2011 with 5 titles !

Hood_Man
08-20-2012, 02:27 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if he could get close to double figures.

Fed is a big favourite along with Djokovic and Murray for the US Open.
Basel should be a win for him.

I'm cautiously assuming he'll pull out of either Shanghai or Paris for rest, but whichever one he plays he should have a really good chance.

Then there's The WTF at the end, so I guess the chance is there for him to make it to 10 titles this year.

I dare not expect anything like that though, this is his highest titles haul since 2007 :)

smoledman
08-20-2012, 02:33 PM
I voted 8-9 which is very doable now.

kishnabe
08-20-2012, 05:31 PM
To Date: Rotterdam, Dubai, Indian Wells, Madrid, Wimbledon, Cincinatti= 6

Possible= US Open, Basel, Paris, WTF.

Most likely 8 titles. Indian Wells was the most suprising one. Madrid was blue clay....expected Federer to not be haunted by Nadal of Red.

Wimbledon has been one or the favorite since 2004.

Sentinel
08-20-2012, 09:02 PM
To Date: Rotterdam, Dubai, Indian Wells, Madrid, Wimbledon, Cincinatti= 6

Possible= US Open, Basel, Paris, WTF.

Most likely 8 titles. Indian Wells was the most suprising one. Madrid was blue clay....expected Federer to not be haunted by Nadal of Red.

Wimbledon has been one or the favorite since 2004.

btw, the poll says ATP titles. WO and USO are ITF not ATP (I know you know that), just pointing out. Was the OP considering ITF when he made the thread ?

Mighty Matteo
08-20-2012, 09:12 PM
i think he'll at least grab the us open, basel and wtf. that would secure 8 titles. Titles at Shanghai and Paris might go to murray or djokovic. Federer could definitely win those, however. i think he'll end with 8 or 9 titles.