PDA

View Full Version : First time gut on Kippermate

BMC9670
03-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Hi All,

Been stringing on a Klippermate, about 3-4 rackets per month for the past year, but about to try stringing natural gut for the first time. Any advice or tips in general or on a drop weight specifically? Obviously, I want to avoid breaking it as it's expensive.

Thanks in advance.

Larrysümmers
03-04-2012, 11:36 AM
its stretchy, but you'll figure it out and you'll be fine. just take your time

dancraig
03-04-2012, 02:38 PM
You might want to clean your clamps and gripper.

loosegroove
03-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Yeah, take your time. Including when lowering the drop weight and pulling the crosses.

Kevo
03-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Yep, clean the clamps and gripper. I also needed to wrap the string a full time around the gripper before inserting into the jaw. It's been a while since I used a Klipper though, maybe the newer ones have better grip?

toedragger
03-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Re: the above post - I've never had to wrap gut completely around the gripper on my Klipper kit. I'm stringing Klip 17g gut.

I have however, had to wrap poly all the way around quite often though... but it's not a big deal. Getting rather used to it.

To the original poster - clean clamps will hopefully help you avoid having to crush the gut. But from my personal experience, a little crushing, if needed, never caused me any issues for actual court play. Good tension is more important than a pretty, non-crushed section of gut.

Wikky
03-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Since this is your first time stringing with gut i recommend pre-stretching before hand to make it easier to work with.

The easiest way is to find a wide pole and put a towel around it so you do not put to much stress on the string. Uncoil the string very carefully so you don't end up fighting with it and divide it equally around the pole in the middle of the towel. If you have a starting clamp you can use it to grip the end of the string when pulling back to have a better grip. Lean your body weight back with a decent amount of force (we string gut up to 65 pounds believe me it can take the force!) and hold for about 10 seconds.

Once you do this 2-3 times you'll see its a lot easier to work with. Also if you're worried about breaking it I've only seen it happen once and it broke right in the middle so you can always two piece it. Good luck!

tinyman
03-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Hi All,

Been stringing on a Klippermate, about 3-4 rackets per month for the past year, but about to try stringing natural gut for the first time. Any advice or tips in general or on a drop weight specifically? Obviously, I want to avoid breaking it as it's expensive.

Thanks in advance.

I've only done gut twice, only mains, and that's on my String Pal (flying clamp, 2pt). Overall, I'm nothing special for stringing - I'm a novice at best, you can hand me a racquet and it'll get strung, but that's about the extent of it.

My tips:

1. Cut the tip of the gut at an angle, then apply a bit of superglue to it. The biggest problem I've had is that when trying to pass the string through the tie-off hole, the outer coating breaks (?) and the end of the string turns to mush.

Keep in mind, I've only really worked with Mamba and Unifibre gut - of which, I liked the Unifibre more as far as quality control. Both are cheap-o guts, I've never strung anything more expensive than that.

2. Lower the arm slowly. I was surprised how much the gut stretched. I don't pre-stretch.

3. With my flying clamps, I ended up crushing the gut a bit the first time - it doesn't have the resistance feel I'm used to trying to gauge the settings on my clamps... just be aware I guess.

4. Pull crosses slowly and fan out well. I burned my gut when stringing RIP Control in the crosses - this may be more of an issue with cheap guts, I don't know by experience. I've only heard it.

BMC9670
03-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Thanks for all the advice! I'll give it a go.

tinyman, how did/do you like gut mains with RIP Control crosses. I've been using RIP 17 for a couple years and like it. I recently acquired a third racquet and want to experiment a bit - hence the gut. Thinking of trying that hybrid combo.

tinyman
03-08-2012, 06:48 AM
I have switched to it entirely on my Biomimetic 200's. 18x20 string pattern, 95" head, very dense pattern in the center. It isn't as lively as a full gut bed, which for me was a good thing. I play with a lot of spin, and I have no trouble generating out enough for my game. For the most part, I'm done with using copolys - with the gut/RIP combination, I don't get so much as a twinge out of my arm (I never had pain before, but why risk it).

Bottom line: I really like it. I'm using 17g RIP Control crosses, 16G gut mains. I just got an email that Ray from Mamba got the 16/17g Supra gut in, so I'm going to try 17g Supra soon.

BMC9670
03-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Cool. Thanks for the feedback. Since I've been using a full bed of RIP 17, I figure this hybrid will be a good way to experiment without it being too radically different. The area I want to improve on from full RIP is a touch more power while keeping everything soft and arm friendly. No interest in poly at this stage (40 and post shoulder surgery).

ordinarymangoe3
03-09-2012, 04:46 AM
How is the klippermate? is it hard to string with? and is the tension accurate?

BMC9670
03-09-2012, 05:27 AM
How is the klippermate? is it hard to string with? and is the tension accurate?

For me it's been great. The first few are tough and take while, but like anything you get better and faster the more you do. I just string for myself and my kids, so speed is not a big deal. I think the tension is very accurate, if you take you time and do a good job. I think it's more about consistency, which I think is great. I measure with RaquetTune and it's consistent job to job. I don't notice a difference from the pro stringer at our club. Lastly, if you're a new stringer, the price of entry makes it worth it.