PDA

View Full Version : Roddick and WTT

callitout
07-23-2005, 04:56 PM
Does anyone know why he plays. Aren't his off weeks or days his only chance to rest or train during a busy summer schedule. My parents watched him lose to Jaimie (sp) Delgado in St Louis World Team Tennis. I was shocked that he showed up at all. How much can they pay him for appearing. The matches can harldly get a 0.5 rating on ESPN2 at 10pm on weeknights, a sold out venue was 2000 seats each sold for not much more than $50. Where does the revenue come from to pay a Roddick or Venus Williams what must be a huge appearance fee. Seems like he'd be smarter to train or recuperate to give him some small chance of winning the USO again (like if Fed gets stuck on the 7 train heading to Queens and defaults).

Yours!05
07-23-2005, 05:16 PM
Does anyone know why he plays. Aren't his off weeks or days his only chance to rest or train during a busy summer schedule. My parents watched him lose to Jaimie (sp) Delgado in St Louis World Team Tennis. I was shocked that he showed up at all. How much can they pay him for appearing. The matches can harldly get a 0.5 rating on ESPN2 at 10pm on weeknights, a sold out venue was 2000 seats each sold for not much more than $50. Where does the revenue come from to pay a Roddick or Venus Williams what must be a huge appearance fee. Seems like he'd be smarter to train or recuperate to give him some small chance of winning the USO again (like if Fed gets stuck on the 7 train heading to Queens and defaults).Yup.
They nearly ALL do stuff like this. It'd be great if this thread were still around when the boohooing starts again about the punishing schedule, the bad old hard courts, the Slams must be moved/changed to accommodate the put-upon pros with their career threatening burnout, yada yada yada.:rolleyes:

Rodzilla
07-23-2005, 05:22 PM
I wouldn't know any logical reason for him to do WTT unless like you said, for the money, or some other things that he thinks WTT has to offer. I agree completely that he needs all the rest and practice he can get.

I know that there are so many who underestimate his chances at the USO. This stretch of the season is his time to dominate. He's got the home advantage, and his game is for these courts. His only win against Federer came during the Montreal event. He also pushed Hewitt to his brink at Flushing Meadows, though Roddick did beat Hewitt once, on the grass. He also had a smooth straight set win against Nadal at Flushing last year. Despite the loss to Ginepri, Ginepri was in awesome form, and even guys like Federer lose sometimes, only to bounce back stronger next time.

federerhoogenbandfan
07-23-2005, 06:03 PM
Roddick doesnt have a time to "dominate". :)

Rodzilla
07-23-2005, 06:16 PM
Roddick doesnt have a time to "dominate". :)

I'm still optimistic about regaining what he had in 2003 or even last year. I've followed this guy since he made all that noise about being the American counterpart to Hewitt, when he beat Sampras and Rios at Key Biscayne, and then ran off those two titles. No time to abandon him now :)

Roddick's summer hardcourt season run in 2003 was "domination". His better(IMO) run at last year's Wimbledon was pretty dominating, really playing IMO some of the best tennis in his career, only to succumb to rain and a Federer who figured out Roddick's kryptonite, which Roddick could not do in return this year.

federerhoogenbandfan
07-23-2005, 07:02 PM
All true, but keep in mind in 2003 Roger Federer, as great as he may have been able to play at times, was still a player who failed to even get past the 4th round of 3 of the 4 slams, lost 3 times in a row that year to David Nalbandian including twice in slams, David was a good player but come on now........, failed to win a single Masters Series title. Hewitt was also not himself that year. Safin wasnt even playing for the most part. Agassi and Ferrero were tough. Still it was a much lighter field to go through a period of dominance against. I dont believe he is capable of dominating the current field, contending, and maybe sneaking in a big title win at some point, but that is about all. :)

Yours!05
07-23-2005, 07:30 PM
Does anyone know why he plays. Aren't his off weeks or days his only chance to rest or train during a busy summer schedule. My parents watched him lose to Jaimie (sp) Delgado in St Louis World Team Tennis. I was shocked that he showed up at all. How much can they pay him for appearing. The matches can harldly get a 0.5 rating on ESPN2 at 10pm on weeknights, a sold out venue was 2000 seats each sold for not much more than $50. Where does the revenue come from to pay a Roddick or Venus Williams what must be a huge appearance fee. Seems like he'd be smarter to train or recuperate to give him some small chance of winning the USO again (like if Fed gets stuck on the 7 train heading to Queens and defaults).

Rodzilla
07-23-2005, 07:37 PM

I responded to the topic as well, and the original poster brought up Roddick having a small chance at the USO, so I responded to that also. There have not been that many replies so far, but posts #3-#6 rooting from this bit from the original post: Seems like he'd be smarter to train or recuperate to give him some small chance of winning the USO again (like if Fed gets stuck on the 7 train heading to Queens and defaults).

Yours!05
07-23-2005, 08:27 PM
You're right, Rodzilla. Just call it a premonition....;)
(And it's not my thread, but topic interests me)

Rodzilla
07-23-2005, 08:32 PM
You're right, Rodzilla. Just call it a premonition....;)
(And it's not my thread, but topic interests me)

Cool! We got some guy with magic power amongst us at these boards. Just kidding... I'm not meaning to start anything with you Yours!05. I never did mention it was your thread. I have read through some of your posts and you are definitely an asset to these boards because you really know what you're talking about. I'm giving you props, sorry if I come out like such a jackass

Yours!05
07-23-2005, 08:38 PM
Cool! We got some guy with magic power amongst us at these boards. Just kidding... I'm not meaning to start anything with you Yours!05. I never did mention it was your thread. I have read through some of your posts and you are definitely an asset to these boards because you really know what you're talking about. I'm giving you props, sorry if I come out like such a jackassYou didn't at all. Was just clarifying. And - thanks.

rommil
07-23-2005, 09:41 PM
I think Rodick now is a deeper dilemna for many different reasons among them being that he is tweaking his game style abit(which Im not sure would be eventually beneficial), his confidence level doesn't seem to be the best right now and that the other players are not as intimidated by him anymore.

Jonnyf
07-24-2005, 05:56 AM
i am a Roddick fan and as much as i'd love him to win huge titles he can hardly be upset with his run so far this year and the money he has made

tennisboy87
07-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Roddick lost to Ramon Delgado, not Jamie Delgado.

uNIVERSE mAN
07-24-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm still optimistic about regaining what he had in 2003 or even last year. I've followed this guy since he made all that noise about being the American counterpart to Hewitt, when he beat Sampras and Rios at Key Biscayne, and then ran off those two titles. No time to abandon him now :)

Roddick's summer hardcourt season run in 2003 was "domination". His better(IMO) run at last year's Wimbledon was pretty dominating, really playing IMO some of the best tennis in his career, only to succumb to rain and a Federer who figured out Roddick's kryptonite, which Roddick could not do in return this year.

The 2003 run was the "newness" factor, same as Nadal's run now, it only happens once unless you have incredible talent, which neither Nadal/Roddick have. Once the tour locks on, you can't have these types of runs anymore.