PDA

View Full Version : Yonex 98 Ezone Xi vs 100 Ezone Xi

acura9927
03-04-2012, 10:27 PM
I'm a beginning player having just bought the Yonex Ezone 98 Xi. I love the control on this racket and excellent power and pretty big sweetspot. However the weight is a bit much on serves. I cant seem to flick it that good on serves. Now I demoed the 98 only and last few days thinking I should have gotten the lighter 100 Xi. Anyone played with both? The 98 is 11.5 ounces and the 100 is 11 ounces. If I change to the 100 and lower swingweight is it going to be a really big change on my serves or just I just hit the weight room some more. :)

Thanks for any comments.

scotus
03-04-2012, 10:35 PM
I'm a beginning player having just bought the Yonex Ezone 98 Xi. I love the control on this racket and excellent power and pretty big sweetspot. However the weight is a bit much on serves. I cant seem to flick it that good on serves. Now I demoed the 98 only and last few days thinking I should have gotten the lighter 100 Xi. Anyone played with both? The 98 is 11.5 ounces and the 100 is 11 ounces. If I change to the 100 and lower swingweight is it going to be a really big change on my serves or just I just hit the weight room some more. :)

Thanks for any comments.

I have played with both and I have the 100 sq in version listed in the "For Sale" forum.

The 98 Xi is slimmer and more of a player's racquet, although even this is too light to be considered a true player's racquet. But I like the comfort and its effectiveness on all shots.

The Xi (100) is much thicker and looks very much like a Babolat Aero Pro Drive. It is a lighter, stiffer, more powerful and a bit less comfortable.

Both racquets have large sweet spots.

So it is a trade off. Just think of what is more important to you and your game at the moment: Ligher and more powerful, or heavier and more control- and comfort-oriented?

acura9927
03-04-2012, 10:51 PM
I dont play well with thicker racquets that have the illusion of bulk. Being only 136 pds and 5 feet 6 I need a racquet that feels smaller and slimmer. I certainly dont need more power than the 98 XI. Prior to the purchase of the 98 XI I had demoed

Juice BLX 100- couldnt swing it worth a lick. Felt like an anchor on swings. LOTS of power. This racquet felt big and bulky.
Babolat Aero Pro Drive GT- felt so flat and dead. Way too big in size feeling
Donnay X-Dual Core Silver 99- not enough power in the head
Dunlop Biomimetic 400- not enough power but really easy to handle.

I did buy the Wilson Pro Staff Six.One 100 BLX because it was so sweet to swing thru.

Looks like the weight room will be my cure for easier serve form on the 98 XI.

scotus
03-04-2012, 11:26 PM
I dont play well with thicker racquets that have the illusion of bulk. Being only 136 pds and 5 feet 6 I need a racquet that feels smaller and slimmer. I certainly dont need more power than the 98 XI. Prior to the purchase of the 98 XI I had demoed

Juice BLX 100- couldnt swing it worth a lick. Felt like an anchor on swings. LOTS of power. This racquet felt big and bulky.

I did buy the Wilson Pro Staff Six.One 100 BLX because it was so sweet to swing thru.

Glad to help you come to your decision.

Hominator
03-05-2012, 03:22 AM
I have played with both and I have the 100 sq in version listed in the "For Sale" forum.

The 98 Xi is slimmer and more of a player's racquet, although even this is too light to be considered a true player's racquet. But I like the comfort and its effectiveness on all shots.

The Xi (100) is much thicker and looks very much like a Babolat Aero Pro Drive. It is a lighter, stiffer, more powerful and a bit less comfortable.

Both racquets have large sweet spots.

So it is a trade off. Just think of what is more important to you and your game at the moment: Ligher and more powerful, or heavier and more control- and comfort-oriented?

+1 on Scotus's thoughts.

tnnsxace
03-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Hey OP, how has the Ezone Xi 98 playing so far? I don't really demo so I would like to know your thoughts on it. I play with the old Yonex RQis 1 Tour XL 95, but I feel like I need more power. Lemme know.

acura9927
03-17-2012, 11:09 PM
The 98 Xi swings heavier than its specs would suggest. I was able to hit more precises shot than with the 100 Xi. I would say this is a baseliner's racquet who likes powerful down the line shots.

tnnsxace
03-31-2012, 01:41 AM
So, I saw the new Xi line this past week,
and I've gotta say the paintjob is just awesome.
The Xi's beam width doesn't play with your head at all?

tistrapukcipeht
03-31-2012, 06:09 AM
The 98 Xi swings heavier than its specs would suggest. I was able to hit more precises shot than with the 100 Xi. I would say this is a baseliner's racquet who likes powerful down the line shots.

Unfortunately I didn't demo the 98 since I only wanted a 100sq in this time, but the Xi blows away the Pure drive 2012 and Aero Pro drive, in fact the Aero pro was better than Pure Drive in my opinion. Pure Drive is very, very harsh while the Xi is a much better in comfort and control despite of 16x18.

I have been playing with the Ezone Xi with Yonex Poly Tour HS, this is the combo for this racquet, really good to balance this frame and bring the best out of everything.

So, I saw the new Xi line this past week,
and I've gotta say the paintjob is just awesome.
The Xi's beam width doesn't play with your head at all?

Yes, it's beautiful without a shadow of a doubt. It's not one of those racquets that have the paint in your face, it is conservative, discrete classy and beautiful and most important is a great racquet that helped me with topspin and get more consistency on my second serve.

radionise
04-01-2012, 02:39 AM
Can anybody compare the Yonex Ezone Xi 98 with the now discontinued Yonex RDS 003 (red / black colour, 27.25" length)?

JackB1
10-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Is the Xi98 newer than the Vcore 98?

XFactorer
10-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Yes. And soon the VCORE Xi 98 will be newer than the EZONE Xi 98.

JackB1
10-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Yes. And soon the VCORE Xi 98 will be newer than the EZONE Xi 98.

for real? Got any other info?

coolblue123
10-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Can anybody compare the Yonex Ezone Xi 98 with the now discontinued Yonex RDS 003 (red / black colour, 27.25" length)?

I had the rds003 and xi ezone 100. but the RDS flexed a lot more and I believe has a thinner beam. I believe the RDS is a 27.5? also rds swings more smoothly.

xi ezone 100 is more powerful, I thought the rds was a tad more comfy and easier to serve with. xi zone produces more spin and return of serves had more pace.