PDA

View Full Version : ATP tennis courts speed rankings

TennisLovaLova
03-05-2012, 01:51 AM
Can anyone please rank the ATP GS and MS1000 courts from the fastest to the slowest?

joeri888
03-05-2012, 01:55 AM
Paris Bercy
Cincinnati
US Open
Wimbledon
Shanghai
Toronto
Indian Wells
Madrid
Australian Open
Miami
Roland Garros
Rome
Monte Carlo

ThoughtCrime
03-05-2012, 01:59 AM
Paris Bercy
Cincinnati
US Open
Wimbledon
Shanghai
Toronto
Indian Wells
Madrid
Australian Open
Miami
Roland Garros
Rome
Monte Carlo

I read somewhere that the Australian Open actually plays slower than RG now, not sure about the actual surface though.

tenniselbow1
03-05-2012, 03:07 AM
Paris Bercy
Cincinnati
US Open
Wimbledon
Shanghai
Toronto
Indian Wells
Madrid
Australian Open
Miami
Roland Garros
Rome
Monte Carlo

Switch AO and Miami. Factor in the balls used and RG maybe faster than the AO. Overall pretty accurate. IW is pretty damn slow, and Madrid plays extremely fast so not sure there either. Would love the top 4 to answer this question and clear things up for us.

Russeljones
03-05-2012, 03:18 AM
Wimbledon 4th? Somehow I expected it to be lower. Interesting topic to say the least.

MrFlip
03-05-2012, 03:45 AM
Forgot London. I reckon it's just a bit slower than US Open

Bobby Jr
03-05-2012, 03:48 AM
Forgot London. I reckon it's just a bit slower than US Open
2011 Paris Bercy and London WTF were virtually the same speed (after being very different the previous years). Both are slower than the US Open.

purge
03-05-2012, 09:12 AM
paris bercy would be on top if it was still the same surface as 2010. but it was an accident that the new surface turned out so quick and they immediately slowed it down again for 2011 and onwards. now its probably around the spot of IW i guess.

madrid really does play extremely fast for a clay court due to the altitude. unless they water it between the sets to give nadal an edge lol :P else im not even sure it would nescessarily be behind toronto or IW.
RG and AO seem quite equal in terms of speed since AO is now slow as hell and RG was slightly sped up due to the balls. miami should rank lower than both of them.
other than that i guess id sign it

TennisLovaLova
03-05-2012, 10:02 AM
You guys dont seem to agree :-) What's the fastest then if it isnt paris or wtf,
Anyone bother to update the ranking posted earlier?

djones
03-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Don't we still see more tiebreaks at Wimbledon than anywhere else?

purge
03-05-2012, 10:51 AM
alright heres how i think id put it as of now

Cincinnati
US Open
Wimbledon
Shanghai
Paris Bercy = WTF
Toronto
Indian Wells = Madrid
Australian Open = Roland Garros
Miami
Rome
Monte Carlo

Romismak
03-05-2012, 11:55 AM
In 2011

Cinci was fastest big event, because Paris-indoors was slowed down to match with London WTF.

Hard to argue if fastest clay event Madrid is faster than slowest HC like Miami, IW, AO

1.Cinci
2.Canada

Wimbledon-overall, Wimbledon 1st week maybe after Cinci fastest, Wimby F-SF slower than half of big HC events at least

3.Shanghai-faster than before
4.WTF
5.Paris-slower than before
6.USO-slower than before

Madrid

7.AO
8.RG-faster than before
9.IW
10.Miami -a.k.a. purple clay...
11.Rome
12.Monte carlo - slowest always, because it plays like old clay events should, enogh dirt, wattering whatever, it plays like clay should play

I wasnīt sure where i should put Wimby and Madrid so i give it somewhere between

Romismak
03-05-2012, 12:05 PM
paris bercy would be on top if it was still the same surface as 2010. but it was an accident that the new surface turned out so quick and they immediately slowed it down again for 2011 and onwards. now its probably around the spot of IW i guess.

madrid really does play extremely fast for a clay court due to the altitude. unless they water it between the sets to give nadal an edge lol :P else im not even sure it would nescessarily be behind toronto or IW.
RG and AO seem quite equal in terms of speed since AO is now slow as hell and RG was slightly sped up due to the balls. miami should rank lower than both of them.
other than that i guess id sign it

Yes Paris-Bercy 2010 was super fast, i enjoyed it, it was like real indoor tennis event, with some SV from Llodra, big serve and groundstrokes from Robin, really great event, but i heard players complain it was too fast, so 2010 Paris we wonīt see again

About current Paris-Bercy i donīt think it is as slow as IW, it is visibly much slower, but thank to indoor conditions still it should favour attacking tennis and i think both indoor events - Paris and London are between summer quick HC - slow early season HC.

tenniselbow1
03-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Can someone put together a final compilation with all the arguments aside for specific tourney? Maybe one or two options as a final list and poll it?

tenniselbow1
03-05-2012, 12:35 PM
In 2011

Cinci was fastest big event, because Paris-indoors was slowed down to match with London WTF.

Hard to argue if fastest clay event Madrid is faster than slowest HC like Miami, IW, AO

1.Cinci
2.Canada

Wimbledon-overall, Wimbledon 1st week maybe after Cinci fastest, Wimby F-SF slower than half of big HC events at least

4.WTF
6.USO-slower than before

Madrid

7.AO
8.RG-faster than before
9.IW
11.Rome
12.Monte carlo - slowest always, because it plays like old clay events should, enogh dirt, wattering whatever, it plays like clay should play

I wasnīt sure where i should put Wimby and Madrid so i give it somewhere between

I think you nailed it here. Any arguments?

purge
03-05-2012, 12:38 PM
About current Paris-Bercy i donīt think it is as slow as IW, it is visibly much slower, but thank to indoor conditions still it should favour attacking tennis and i think both indoor events - Paris and London are between summer quick HC - slow early season HC.
yeah you may have noticed i thought about it again after my first post and decided it was probably still faster than IW. so i put it 2 spots above IW together with WTF

i dunno about USO.. some people say its been slowed down alot. others say its only gotten a little slower and is still rather fast for todays standards. im with the latter. i feel it still plays pretty fast.. faster even than wimbledon does towards the end so i put it up 2nd right after cinci

TennisLovaLova
03-05-2012, 01:25 PM
PeRFect
So cincy's the fastest court?
Faster than dubai?

origmarm
03-06-2012, 04:45 AM
I read somewhere that the ITF actually give courts a speed rating. I saw this in a recent discussion of AO speed where it came out around 40 (in whatever units they use). Does anyone have access to this data or know where it comes from? Be interesting to get the "official" verdict

EDIT: This chap, at the end of his article, mentions that AO is a 34 and USO is a 40. So the ITF is clearly measuring this

EDIT2: They have an article on their rating process here:
http://www.itftennis.com/technical/equipment/itfguidetotestmethods/courtpace.asp

laughingbuddha
03-06-2012, 05:22 AM
In 2011

1.Cinci
2.Canada

4.WTF
6.USO-slower than before

Madrid

7.AO
8.RG-faster than before
9.IW
11.Rome

Switch AO and IW.