PDA

View Full Version : How to counter balance

Downtown
03-05-2012, 07:10 AM
I use lead tape on my racquet head, but have never used lead tape on the grip to counter balance. How exactly do you apply lead tape to the handle and how much do you use? I use four inch strips on either side at 10 and 2. What are the benefits of lead tape in the grip? Thanks.

dsa202
03-05-2012, 07:41 AM
What I've been doing is cutting 1 inch strips and lining them up on the bevels evenly spaced vertically. Others will tell you in inject silicone, or use lead fish weights. But the easiest way I've found, is my way. It's also easier to measure how much you're putting on and make adjustments if the weight you added was too much/little.

Hapless
03-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Counter-balancing will make the racket more head-light. While it might offer some improved stability on volleys or hard-hit balls, it's really more of a preference thing...a head-light racket might feel easier to swing.

Another option is using strips of blu-tack and stuffing it inside the trap-door on the butt-cap. It's easily removed if you don't like it, cheap, and deadens vibrations

Larrysümmers
03-05-2012, 09:53 AM
add some lead to the handle if you want more HLness

netguy
03-05-2012, 08:32 PM
I had 4 inches of Gamma lead tape (.50 in.) at 2 and 10 total....but the racquets were not feeling right to me, so after playing with lead tape on and in the handle, I ended up with 3.5 inches of lead tape under the rubber ban. The racquets now feel very solid, stable and with a bit of extra power. Try it, it might work for you.

Bud
03-05-2012, 09:08 PM
The blue Loktite Fun Tak, sold in the stationery department, works the best and is not permanent. It's pretty dense and works well for adding weight inside the butt cap. One strip equals about 12g, IIRC.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41y-lHBCVPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg