PDA

View Full Version : Another example of amazingly poor Wilson quality control

BC1
03-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Has anyone else noticed the TW power map/power zone charts and specs for the Wilson Pro Open 2012? The racquet they evaluated shows a weight spec of 294g. That is 10.4 oz! .6 oz less then what it should be. Amazing!! I know that is Wilson for you, but I wish TW would hand pick a racquet that was closer to the average, or what the specs should be. But who knows, maybe they tried and this was a close as they could find.

Here is what they list as their specs on the pro open 2012:
Length = 27.00
Headsize = 100
Weight = 294 or 10.4 oz (should be 311g or 11 oz)
Balance = 34.50
Swingweight = 317
Twistweight = 14.82

I've actually been considering the Pro Open, but like with all Wilson's you never seem to know what you're going to get. Anyone else been lucky or unlucky with the 2012 pro open? Is your racquet close to what it shoud be?

TimothyO
03-05-2012, 09:22 AM
We just bought a 2012 Pro Open last night from a local chain. They measure weight and balance for free. Spec weight unstrung is 299g and with the grip wrapper this one came in at 304. Removing the wrapper the unstrung weight was between 301g and 302g (the scale kept jumping back and forth), a couple of grams over spec. Balance was within a hair of spec. The demo she had used was probably a couple of grams under weight.

However, one of the unstrung Pro Opens they had in stock had a weird swirly mark on the surface of the frame near the throat. Clearly it was part of the structure and not surface paint as it was too deep/rough for paint alone. No idea if it might be a deeper flaw in the structure that could lead to a crack but we avoided it anyway.

I've been looking at the Pure Storm Tour GT. My demo is probably about 3g under spec weight. Today when I picked up my wife's strung Pro Open we measured a couple of PSTGTs. Both were 4g+ over weight. I've seen PSLGTs with a difference of 18g between heaviest and lightest.

TW Staff
03-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Has anyone else noticed the TW power map/power zone charts and specs for the Wilson Pro Open 2012? The racquet they evaluated shows a weight spec of 294g. That is 10.4 oz! .6 oz less then what it should be. Amazing!! I know that is Wilson for you, but I wish TW would hand pick a racquet that was closer to the average, or what the specs should be. But who knows, maybe they tried and this was a close as they could find.

Here is what they list as their specs on the pro open 2012:
Length = 27.00
Headsize = 100
Weight = 294 or 10.4 oz (should be 311g or 11 oz)
Balance = 34.50
Swingweight = 317
Twistweight = 14.82

I've actually been considering the Pro Open, but like with all Wilson's you never seem to know what you're going to get. Anyone else been lucky or unlucky with the 2012 pro open? Is your racquet close to what it shoud be?

Happened to see this, and went to discuss this with the Professor. We indeed made a mistake in entering the specs, and the Professor has since measured again, and updated the Pro Open. Apologies for the error.

Spencer, TW.