PDA

View Full Version : Volkl PB 7 Users Question - Big Hitters?

lstewart
03-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Any big hitters using the Volkl PB 7 oversize frame? My 16 year old son is a tournament player and has been using the frame for over a year. I was interested in it, and gave it about a month of regular indoor use this winter, but never could work out my serve. Did like it for everything else though, but went back to my less powerful Becker London. My son is really starting to hit the ball very hard, and I am concerned that this frame has too much power for him to control. But he does not want to change frames, so I guess I need to try and tone it down through string and tension. I'm currently stringing his frames with Volkl V-Pro poly in the mains, and Head Rip Control in the crosses. Normal tension is 59 mains, 64 crosses. I'm thinking about going to all poly at maybe 63 or so. Anyone playing with the frame strung anything like that? I really feel like he needs to make a racket change, but he does not seem too hip on the idea. Suggestions?

corners
03-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Any big hitters using the Volkl PB 7 oversize frame? My 16 year old son is a tournament player and has been using the frame for over a year. I was interested in it, and gave it about a month of regular indoor use this winter, but never could work out my serve. Did like it for everything else though, but went back to my less powerful Becker London. My son is really starting to hit the ball very hard, and I am concerned that this frame has too much power for him to control. But he does not want to change frames, so I guess I need to try and tone it down through string and tension. I'm currently stringing his frames with Volkl V-Pro poly in the mains, and Head Rip Control in the crosses. Normal tension is 59 mains, 64 crosses. I'm thinking about going to all poly at maybe 63 or so. Anyone playing with the frame strung anything like that? I really feel like he needs to make a racket change, but he does not seem too hip on the idea. Suggestions?

As long as the stringbed tension is adjusted to account for headsize and string pattern (big and open in the case of PB7), that frame is not any more powerful than a bunch of racquets in the same swingweight range (APD, Pure Drive, etc.) Nadal plays a leaded APD with full poly at 55 and hits much harder than your son. Rip Control is a very soft string, so I would think that if switching to a soft copoly in the cross (MSV Co-Focus 18 is soft and cheap and excels as a cross) you could go 59/59. The power difference with that compared to with Rip is actually pretty small - he might lose one mph on his shots. The more significant effect would be more spin because the smooth and slippery cross allows the mains to slide and snapback. The additional spin will help more with control than the slight drop in power. He should expect a higher launch angle though, which he might interpret as more "power", but he'll adjust to that readily and quickly find his range. That's my $.02 anyway.

lstewart
03-06-2012, 06:03 AM
Thanks Corners.... good feedback. I'm going to go all poly on his next string job this weekend. Makes sense for the reasons you mentioned. I've got an old achy elbow and wrist, so the hybrid set-up is about all I can handle, but with his young arm going all poly should not be an issue.