PDA

View Full Version : Strung 3rd Racquet today !

oldcity
03-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Ha! I bet no one has thrown up a 3rd racquet thread. :)
I just wanted some practice since my disappointing 2nd effort went 5 min longer than the first. 2hrs 15min on that one. damaged string problems and first time poly. this time I dug up an old wilson hyper carbon 5.3 out of the closet. don't remember how i got it but i sure didn't pay for it. perfect test dummy. two piece job took 1hr 20 minutes. stoked about the improvement. dont know if i'll ever hit with this junker, stiff and head heavy.

fortun8son
03-05-2012, 09:07 PM
Congrats!
Don't worry about the time. Get it right. The speed will come with practice and confidence.

codyjames14
03-05-2012, 09:52 PM
That's awesome! I have only been stringing a few months and I'm down to around 35-45 minutes now. When I started I hit 1 hour and 45 minutes on my first job. You'll get much faster at weaving the crosses with time. It's like an art! Haha hope you keep it up and don't look at it like a chore! :)

COPEY
03-05-2012, 10:42 PM
Congrats!
Don't worry about the time. Get it right. The speed will come with practice and confidence.
^^This...and keep reviewing Yulitle/Irvin videos. You'll pick up a little more info each time. Drakulie has a couple of nice ones out there as well.

oldcity
03-06-2012, 03:40 AM
crosses are actually going pretty good. based on irvin's bead idea, I'm using a pill shaped foam spacer off of some fishing tackle I found. I'm sure its knocked off some time but its really helping me not misweave. I was probably closer to an hour but i had to get on the net and look up the skips. I was unfamiliar with this racket and didn't pay attention when i cut out the 1995 strings.
I hit a few balls with the hyper carbon and it sucks. I can see why it was abandoned. not worth the led tape to fix it. string job good though.

PhotoBlue
03-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Well I've strung more racquets than you and we have about the same time. I'm not very good haha but it's pretty fun...
Happy stringing!

ordinarymangoe3
03-09-2012, 04:43 AM
XD nice! I strung my first yesterday. it took me a little over an hour. but my coach did one side of the mains for me..... so probably would have been hour and a half.

oldcity
03-09-2012, 07:58 AM
Yeah its pretty fun. Even at an hour plus it didn't really seem that long. Except for referring to some video, I just got in a groove. starting clamp was great investment for 2 piece stringing on my pure storm. This might even be a little addicting. I find myself wanting to cut strings after 2 weeks to try something else. I'm going to need more string soon.

COPEY
03-09-2012, 09:39 AM
I find myself wanting to cut strings after 2 weeks to try something else. I'm going to need more string soon.

And so it begins... :-)

mikeler
03-09-2012, 10:18 AM
And so it begins... :-)

Indeed it does. Remember all that money you were going to save on stringing? Now it will just go to trying out strings. :)

oldcity
03-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Well besides saving on gas with my old place 30 miles away, i can use cheap syn gut and replace often. I probably need to get some paying friends lined up to cover my personal stringing. lol

fortun8son
03-09-2012, 05:46 PM
You may be surprised at how the old Hammer plays with some MCS.

Wikky
03-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Well besides saving on gas with my old place 30 miles away, i can use cheap syn gut and replace often. I probably need to get some paying friends lined up to cover my personal stringing. lol

God forbid all of your friends figure out they can buy a klippermate too... or even worse one of them buys a constant pull and steals all your business :( .

Overheadsmash
03-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Indeed it does. Remember all that money you were going to save on stringing? Now it will just go to trying out strings. :)

This is true. I love to try new strings, especially since I am down to under 45 minutes all the time. Weaving the crosses is the secret. Keep practicing and those crosses will go faster and faster.

zapvor
03-10-2012, 08:45 PM
thats real good for 3rd frame. keep it up!

oldcity
03-11-2012, 08:24 AM
You may be surprised at how the old Hammer plays with some MCS.

funny, I was messing around with the carbon, hitting balls against the ground and it felt more stable. i dunno if it was headsize or head weight or what. it didn't twist as much on impact so I wrapped some tape up in the grip and hit some serves today. It actually hit pretty good. I didn't have enough lead to get it back to even balance but I might fool around with it some more.

oldcity
03-16-2012, 06:05 AM
Did 4th racquet today. found an old wilson hammer 7.2 110 to string up for my dad. Man, when do these stupid screw-ups stop.... 1.5 hrs for a 2 piece multi job. Released clamps before tying off one end of the mains. had to start over. lots of blocked grommets on these eight skip wilsons. on the bright side i used a wilson pro knot for the first time and really liked it. great for the tight tie-offs. also no misweaves :)

Irvin
03-16-2012, 06:40 AM
Did 4th racquet today. found an old wilson hammer 7.2 110 to string ... lots of blocked grommets on these eight skip wilsons...

If you string the mains first you have have 6 blocked hole - 2 at the head and four at the bottom. If you use a short side ATW you will have no blocked holes.