PDA

View Full Version : Who would've won the 2002 US Open final if Hewitt beat Agassi in the SF?

pringles
03-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Just a simple question. Hewitt won his previous 4 matches vs Sampras and the last time Pete beat him in an official match was the 2000 US Open when Hewitt was still a teenager.

Carsomyr
03-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Good question. Hewitt had an aging Sampras's number, but Pete put everything he had left into winning that last US Open. No idea who would have won, but I'm sure it would have been a lot more epic than the final we got.

DjokovicForTheWin
03-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Probably Hewitt.

woodrow1029
03-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Pete played some of the best tennis that 2 weeks that he ever played, and beat an all star case on the way to winning. I think Pete would have beaten anyone he played in that final. Just my opinion though. Nobody will ever know. :-)

DjokovicForTheWin
03-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Pete was still playing some of his best tennis, but Hewitt could have also racked up great numbers had it not been for Federer.

tennis_pro
03-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Pete played some of the best tennis that 2 weeks that he ever played, and beat an all star case on the way to winning. I think Pete would have beaten anyone he played in that final. Just my opinion though. Nobody will ever know. :-)

I don't think Pete playing "some of his best tennis that 2 weeks" would struggle against Rusedski and Haas big time. His draw wasn't too hard anyway, a teenage Roddick in the quarters and Schalken in the semis. I think it would've been a straight set win for Hewitt in the final unless he would have to battle past Agassi in 5 tough sets and was spent for the final.

kishnabe
03-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Sampras beat Hewitt in 2000 US Semi. 2001 US was a fluke. 2002 Sampras would trounce him home.

Crazy man
03-05-2012, 04:31 PM
50/50 matchup. Remember we are talking about Sampras at the tail-end of his career against a Hewitt who was very much in his prime. Hewitt possesed a very good return with great passing shots along with having one hell of a lob. I'd favour Hewitt here but Sampras has those days where he dispatches anyone put infront of him. Certainly from a matchup POV Hewitt would be favourite (considering their respective timeline).

MichaelNadal
03-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Pete was still playing some of his best tennis, but Hewitt could have also racked up great numbers had it not been for Federer.

True, Roddick too.

Crazy man
03-05-2012, 05:54 PM
True, Roddick too.

Roddick has no excuses. He had the firepower (see W04 for starters) to beat Federer. He choked. This is comming from a fan of Roddick. He didn't help himself by changing his game either.

kishnabe
03-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Roddick has no excuses. He had the firepower (see W04 for starters) to beat Federer. He choked. This is comming from a fan of Roddick. He didn't help himself by changing his game either.

2009 was better than 2004 In my Opinion. He never hit the backhand better in his life, his serves was unbreakable till he got tired in the end, and his forehand was a mix of deadly pace and spinny depth. He pushed Federer wide with his forehand and hit many dtl backhand winners. Federer was too lucky that day....if he had not had such a severe record against Roddick. Federer would not have hanged in the end.

That roddick would beat any roddick before him. 2004 Roddick was unfortunate as well because of the rain breaks....had Federer in the third set before rain diluted Roddick's momentum.

Mustard
03-05-2012, 06:36 PM
What we can say is that Sampras definitely felt more confident playing against Agassi in the 2002 US Open final, someone from his own generation (3-0 US Open H2H lead against Agassi at the time), than he would have had facing Hewitt.

Hewitt's 2002 US Open semi final against Agassi was a strange match. Hewitt dominated the opening few games to go 3-0 up, only to suddenly drop his form as Agassi won 6 of the next 7 games to take the first set, 6-4. Hewitt was also up in the second set and blew that as well to go 2 sets down. In the third set, Agassi was up in the set and looked to be winning in straight sets before Hewitt fought hard and won a tiebreak. Then, just as it looked like Hewitt could roar back, he is flat in the fourth set and Agassi wins the last 5 games to take the match. A big missed opportunity for Hewitt, to say the least.

Cup8489
03-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Hewitt in 4.

Mustard
03-05-2012, 06:52 PM
I don't think Pete playing "some of his best tennis that 2 weeks" would struggle against Rusedski and Haas big time. His draw wasn't too hard anyway, a teenage Roddick in the quarters and Schalken in the semis. I think it would've been a straight set win for Hewitt in the final unless he would have to battle past Agassi in 5 tough sets and was spent for the final.

Sampras' matches against Rusedski and Haas were earlier on the tournament. Sampras was playing better from the quarter finals onwards. Roddick was no longer a teenager, 20 years old, and had a 2-0 head-to-head lead on Sampras going into the match. And Schalken was no mug at that time.

Sampras beat Hewitt in 2000 US Semi. 2001 US was a fluke. 2002 Sampras would trounce him home.

Hewitt was brilliant in that 7-6, 6-1, 6-1 win in the 2001 US Open final. Fluke? LOL.

2004 Roddick was unfortunate as well because of the rain breaks....had Federer in the third set before rain diluted Roddick's momentum.

Brad Gilbert has admitted that Mirka outcoached him during the third set rain delay. At the time, it was 1 set all and Roddick leading 4-2 in the third set. Federer comes back and is noticeably more aggressive and putting Roddick's forehand under pressure. I reckon Gilbert told Roddick to keep doing the great job he had been doing, so was caught off guard by Federer's aggressive play. The tiebreak was the crucial bit, though.