PDA

View Full Version : BLX Pro Open Port Size & Spin

TimothyO
03-05-2012, 04:32 PM
In another thread someone mentioned the port size on the BLX Pro Open. They certainly look bigger than some of our other frames. The spin potential of the BPO is also HUGE.

Tonight my wife and I took her brand new BPO out for its first hit. It's strung with VS Touch/Focus Hex 18 at 58/54. She gave me a few minutes to play with it and the spin was mind blowing! The relatively low weight provides ample head speed but even then the arc of the ball under the influence of the spin generated was absolutely stunning. Far beyond other "light" frames I've hit with. Precision was also top notch.

Question: have studies been conducted on the role of port size and spin? I've hit with O Port frames and while the spin was equally impressive the feel wasn't as solid imo. And the Babolat woofer system seems spin friendly but not as precise as this frame.

Question 2: what other Wilson frames use the same port system/size as the BLX Pro Open?

Power Player
03-05-2012, 06:15 PM
It's great spin but it's not mind blowing. It's just a light tweener stick that happens to be IMO one of the best out there.

A lot of it is due to the lighter weight of the racquet allowing you to get more head speed.

It's a very very very similar racquet to the new pure drive.

esgee48
03-05-2012, 08:47 PM
TimO: What are you referring to when you say 'port system/size?' Are the grommet holes extra large ala the old Prince system before the 'ports?'

TimothyO
03-06-2012, 03:25 AM
@player...fully agree that the light weight is one factor in the spin potential. But these arcs weren't the usual arcs associated with frames such as the Pure Drives and APDs which she also demoed and I tried too. These were sharp hairpin turns. Some occurred near the start of the ball's flight so the ball dipped into the court right after crossing the net. In other cases these sharp changes in direction occurred deeper in the court. They were a bit like those sharp turns you see with slices off the court surface, but in midair! Outside of the spin I fully agree...one of the new APD+ played and looked like a copy of the Pro Open. The APD+ was better on serve but the Pro Open was far more precise on ground strokes.

@esgee...yes, I'm referring to the grommit holes. They're larger than holes I've seen in other frames. Not like the Prince O Ports...maybe x2 or x3 times larger than normal holes. Where normal holes can fit a single string these show lots of daylight around the string, enough that one could imagine 3-4 strings fitting through the hole.

bertrevert
03-06-2012, 04:29 AM
TimO I have the prev model Pro Open here and will look for these unusual spins tomorrow. The new model however is more powerful than the old so it would be adding some. There also must be some sort of poly in the frame? What is it?

Power Player
03-06-2012, 04:52 AM
What level is your wife? I mean spin is due to technique or maybe you are overdramatizing it because I get heavy spin with the Pure Drives, 6.1s, Prince Exos ..etc. It all bites the same for me.

What I love about the Pro open is the feel, comfort and power. The spin is the same as any other tweener.

A_Instead
03-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the info... Please keep the info coming on the new 2012 BPO.
I am interested to see how it plays compared to the prior version. (2011 paint)

Power Player
03-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the info... Please keep the info coming on the new 2012 BPO.
I am interested to see how it plays compared to the prior version. (2011 paint)

It's the same..I promise. It's just the Wilson QC in action.

TimothyO
03-06-2012, 02:11 PM
It's the same..I promise. It's just the Wilson QC in action.

I've been told the same thing locally. The TWU data shows some differences but the price difference indicates nothing new in function.

Power Player
03-06-2012, 02:16 PM
What sucks is they raised the prices of the old one..I should never have posted about the darn thing..lol.