PDA

View Full Version : 10 years of winning major titles

kragster
03-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Not a fed fan but can't help admire the guy for being able to win important events 10 yrs after he won his first and to win he has had to go through some of the best guys in the world like Murray.

As much as I'm a djoker and Rafa fan, I don't see them winning big events in 2017 and 2015 respectively. I think Rafas last big event win will be in 2014 and djokers in 2015.

OddJack
03-05-2012, 05:47 PM
We will have more to admire in 2013 and 2014, hopefully.

Playing style has made such a big difference.

I do agree with the guy who said Nadal and Djoker shorten their careers at AO this year.

Limpinhitter
03-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Fed won his first major title in 2003 and his last major title in 2010, that's 8 years of major titles, not 10. Ken Rosewall, by contrast, won his first major in 1953 and his last in 1972. That's 19 years of winning major titles.

kragster
03-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Fed won his first major title in 2003 and his last major title in 2010, that's 8 years of major titles, not 10. Ken Rosewall, by contrast, won his first major in 1953 and his last in 1972. That's 19 years of winning major titles.

Sorry for not being clear, by major I didn't mean the majors I.e slams but rather any significant event like a masters or even a 500.

OddJack
03-05-2012, 05:58 PM
haha@Rosewall and 19 years.

You need to read more history. Go read how many matches he played total in those years and come back to me.

DjokovicForTheWin
03-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Sorry for not being clear, by major I didn't mean the majors I.e slams but rather any significant event like a masters or even a 500.

I thought it was pretty clear.

Towser83
03-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Not a fed fan but can't help admire the guy for being able to win important events 10 yrs after he won his first and to win he has had to go through some of the best guys in the world like Murray.

As much as I'm a djoker and Rafa fan, I don't see them winning big events in 2017 and 2015 respectively. I think Rafas last big event win will be in 2014 and djokers in 2015.

You don't think Nadal could win a 500 in 3 years time? :?

kragster
03-05-2012, 07:49 PM
You don't think Nadal could win a 500 in 3 years time? :?

Well I think Rafa will win titles in 2012, 2013, 2014. I anticipate Rafa having a somewhat steep decline given how physical his game is. Same with djoker ( and Murray)

devila
03-05-2012, 09:20 PM
obviously fed has done nothing but win and make friends. roddick beat him in an exhibition (pathetic attempt to remind everyone that he belonged in tennis and humanitarian fame land).

zapvor
03-05-2012, 09:30 PM
i can see novak enduring longer than nadal

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-05-2012, 11:03 PM
I'd say Nadal will break the record for consecutive slam winning years. The record is 8 by Borg, Federer, Sampras. Nadal can tie the record this year and is consistent enough to take the record away from them next year.

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Djokovic would last longer if he started using his feet more than stretching his back/neck/shoulder out of place. Saw how long it took him to recover from the US Open last year. Back injuries at age 24 is a horrible sign.

Nadal has flawless footwork, so is much better off.

Tennis_Hands
03-05-2012, 11:24 PM

It was, indeed. However, everybody has an opinion what constitutes a major title. I think, that a Masters event, WTF, AO, RG, Wimbledon or USO represent a major tournament.

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-05-2012, 11:35 PM
It was, indeed. However, everybody has an opinion what constitutes a major title. I think, that a Masters event, WTF, AO, RG, Wimbledon or USO represent a major tournament.

That's why its a useless thing to measure. Might as well just go with the facts - most consecutive slam-winning years. Borg, Federer, Sampras have the most consecutive slam winning years with 8. Nadal 7 so far.

Limpinhitter
03-06-2012, 06:42 AM

I was being a bit coy. Strictly speaking, the "majors" are: Wimbledon, U.S. Open, French Open and Australian Open. 1000 level events are not majors. The Grand Slam is winning all four in a single year. IMO, referring to a major as a "slam" or a "grand slam" dilutes the significance of "The Grand Slam" and disrespects the 2 men and 3 women who have achieved that rare accomplishment.

Limpinhitter
03-06-2012, 06:44 AM
haha@Rosewall and 19 years.

You need to read more history. Go read how many matches he played total in those years and come back to me.

I do? How many matches did Rosewall play in his 22 years of being one of the top 5 players in the World?

Limpinhitter
03-06-2012, 06:44 AM

That's because you're a crackhead!

DjokovicForTheWin
03-06-2012, 06:47 AM
I was being a bit coy. Strictly speaking, the "majors" are: Wimbledon, U.S. Open, French Open and Australian Open. 1000 level events are not majors. The Grand Slam is winning all four in a single year. IMO, referring to a major as a "slam" or a "grand slam" dilutes the significance of "The Grand Slam" and disrespects the 2 men and 3 women who have achieved that rare accomplishment.

But he didn't use the word 'major' as a noun. He used it as an adjective which was quite apparent from the sentence structure of the title if you bothered to read it properly. Hence it was clear to most folks who read.

Limpinhitter
03-06-2012, 06:50 AM

But, that's not accurate! Tennis followed the golf tradition in which the majors are the events that make up The Grand Slam in golf, and tennis. For example, Jack Nicklaus is the current major leader in golf with 18 titles including The Masters, The British Open, The U.S. Open and the PGA Championships.

SLD76
03-06-2012, 06:50 AM
We will have more to admire in 2013 and 2014, hopefully.

Playing style has made such a big difference.

I do agree with the guy who said Nadal and Djoker shorten their careers at AO this year.

Since last year, I swear that every time they play they shave 6 months off their careers.

The USO and AO finals were just brutal, and exhausting to watch.

SLD76
03-06-2012, 06:52 AM
Djokovic would last longer if he started using his feet more than stretching his back/neck/shoulder out of place. Saw how long it took him to recover from the US Open last year. Back injuries at age 24 is a horrible sign.

Nadal has flawless footwork, so is much better off.

Hmmm..but knee issues at 21 is better?

ROFL@ *******s.

Limpinhitter
03-06-2012, 06:52 AM
But he didn't use the word 'major' as a noun. He used it as an adjective which was quite apparent from the sentence structure of the title if you bothered to read it properly. Hence it was clear to most folks who read.

I read it properly. You did not. Grammatically, it could be interpreted as an adjective or a noun. But, the traditional use of the word "major" in tennis is understood by those who are well informed to be a noun - one of the 4 events comprising The Grand Slam.

DjokovicForTheWin
03-06-2012, 07:01 AM
I read it properly. You did not. Grammatically, it could be interpreted as an adjective or a noun. But, the traditional use of the word "major" in tennis is understood by those who are well informed to be a noun - one of the 4 events comprising The Grand Slam.

Yeah we all know what the traditional use of the word Major is so no need to show off your useless knowledge old man. With that, you should realize that no one in tennis refers to 'Majors' as 'major titles'. They may say player XXX won a Major or won 2 Majors, but no one would say Djoker won 3 major titles in 2011. They are called Majors. So sorry, it wasn't me that read it incorrectly, it was you.

Moreover, if you say it could be interpreted as both an adjective OR a noun, then how did I read it incorrectly if I interpreted as an adjective, which is in fact what he intended????

luishcorreia
03-06-2012, 12:46 PM
I am not a Federer fan. Nor was I a Sampras fan. But I felt a huge respect and admiration in the way he won that final US Open - at the last match of his career.

I would like to see Federer win another major, maybe two.

celoft
03-06-2012, 03:24 PM

I concur....................