PDA

View Full Version : BLX Pro Tour: Impulse Purchase!

travlerajm
03-06-2012, 12:41 AM
Up late and browsing frames and something about his frame just looked too attractive to pass up now that it's price dropped below $100.

96" headsize, stiff hoop with a little flex in the throat, dense 18x20, nice handsome looking headshape, and room to customize.

Couldn't help myself - pulled the trigger. I ordered with Ash Kev 18g 43 lbs/SPPP 17g 42 lbs to save me trouble of stringing when it arrives.

Updates to follow.

Fed Kennedy
03-06-2012, 12:57 AM
Might have strung it too tight...youll be surprised how dense it is.

bertrevert
03-06-2012, 01:04 AM
Think it was the k version of this I tried - ugh, heavy axe, cannot see that much room to customise... what do you have in mind that you will be adding to it and where?

JGads
03-06-2012, 01:14 AM
Really cool stick and since demoing it, I've wondered if the frame could be goat-worthy if you went SUPER low tension to play around with the incredibly dense stringbed; that combo could be deadly. Keep that in mind because I'd love to see you try it out and report.

Squidward
03-06-2012, 01:17 AM
I played one of these some over the winter. Strung it up with the Black Mamba Penta/Technifibre Syn Gut ina 50/53 hybrid. Added a little weight to the handle to bring the specs to 11.8 and 8 pts. HL.

Not a bad stick. Just a little too stiff for my old joints. I could swing away with confidence. Lots of control and good pace.

I've since moved on the a PK Redondo strung up similar to go easier on my arm. But if you have no arm issues, the price is right on the Pro Tour.

Agent Orynge
03-06-2012, 01:59 AM
Really cool stick and since demoing it, I've wondered if the frame could be goat-worthy if you went SUPER low tension to play around with the incredibly dense stringbed; that combo could be deadly. Keep that in mind because I'd love to see you try it out and report.

Had mine strung up with Dynamite 18 at 46/44 a few months back. Control wasn't as bad as you'd think, and it was a lot more forgiving. Still, the feel was only so-so. Could never get this stick to work for me, despite an impressive demo session.

Blitzball
03-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Really nice racquet. The tension sounds right, it'll just take some time to get used to the incredibly dense string pattern. But it's great for both flat and topspin hitters and plays great with a leather grip and some lead at 3 & 9 o'clock. Very solid

travlerajm
03-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Think it was the k version of this I tried - ugh, heavy axe, cannot see that much room to customise... what do you have in mind that you will be adding to it and where?

I plan to bring it up to the same weighting specs in my signature - that's my current formula based on several years of optimization.

I usually prefer the hoop lead distributed over the the top half of the hoop (most of it tucked cleanly under the bumper). And add the rest near the top of the handle to until the weight and balance are tuned to my spec.

lgbalfa
03-06-2012, 10:00 PM
for the price you cannot beat it.

i am tempted as well.

TaihtDuhShaat
03-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Nice find! I saw this frame in person and It has a very dense stringbed! Combined with the stiffness, this could be a contender for all time control frame.

travlerajm
03-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Update:
Got back from a trip and picked up the frame.

Bumblebee paint job is a little busy, but black and yellow colors are still nice.

The Wilson 4-1/2" grip is large as I expected (and hoped), about the same size as Prince 4-5/8" grips (which run smaller).

Stock measurements as strung:
325.1g
12.37" balance
312 SW
I'm actually glad that the SW came in lower than expected, as it gives me more room to customize.

Some observations:
The TW beam width specs are definitely listed incorrectly:
The beam width is 20/22/20mm (not 22/24/22). This actually explains the incongruency between the low measured stiffness (62 RA) and the beam width spec.
I think this racquet is really a hybrid between a classic control player frame and a tweener.

I haven't hit with it yet, but the flex profile reminds a lot of my RDS001mp. The only only issue I had with the RDS was that the string pattern was way too open in the center, and uniformly open across the stringbed, making the center hotter than the top and sides. So I'm really looking forward to how the denser-patterned BLX Tour will play.

The string pattern is the densest of any frame I own. The distance between the 8 center mains is only 60mm!

The 43/42 lb Kevlar/poly stringbed has some give to it, so I'm guessing that the tension will be about right. The only question mark is will I be able to make this frame spin-friendly enough, but I am optimistic. It has a nice feel to it when I bounce the ball on the stringbed, with enough dwell time to expect that the stringbed can grip well enough.

I may take it for a test against the wall in stock form today. I have a league match later in the day, but I'll probably use my leaded up Warrior OS for that.

lgbalfa
03-12-2012, 09:17 PM
here is a pic of llodra that i took using the racquet at the 2010 us open:

http://i39.tinypic.com/e5lr1k.jpg

zapvor
03-12-2012, 09:22 PM
hated the racket myself.

travlerajm
03-12-2012, 09:46 PM
here is a pic of llodra that i took using the racquet at the 2010 us open:

http://i39.tinypic.com/e5lr1k.jpg

It's obvious from the photo that Llodra is using a different racquet - the string pattern is not even close.

lgbalfa
03-12-2012, 09:54 PM
It's obvious from the photo that Llodra is using a different racquet - the string pattern is not even close.

you are right.

i enlarged the photo.

looks like 16 x 19 def not dense though:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2gsoqdv.jpg

travlerajm
03-14-2012, 12:34 AM
Update:

I took it for a hit against the wall in the racquetball court today.

I hadn't yet leaded it up, so it was still almost stock. I liked the feel within the first few balls, but added a couple of grams around the hilt to make it come around fast enough on groundies.

This was a pleasant surprise - this frame felt like home for me.

The spin level was terrific despite the extremely dense pattern. But the type of spin was different than the type I get with other very spin-friendly setups that depend on long dwell time or open string patterns. With the very dense patterned BLX Pro Tour, the spin was more "on demand as needed". Flat shots, volleys, and slices were still crisp and easy to control with precise flat trajectories.

In fact, this was the most enjoyable wall hit with a stock SW frame that I'd ever had. I couldn't seem to put it down.

I think the BLX Pro Tour gets underrated because no one uses a properly-matched string setup in its super-dense pattern. The 18g Kevlar/ 17g poly at 43/42 lbs was the perfect match!

I'm really looking forward to trying this frame out fully leaded to my favored 13.5 oz. 365 SW weight distribution. I have a feeling that this frame will soon become my regular racquet of choice.

Also, I must say that this frame feels very well-designed and stable for its weight. The super-dense 18x20 pattern takes full advantage of the "yonex theory" of racquet design, where a stiff hoop combined with a thinner beam throat allow the racquet to flex a little at the throat to make it spin friendly without giving up directional control.

travlerajm
03-23-2012, 09:58 PM
New Update:

Introducing the evil drop shot racquet:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=418090