PDA

View Full Version : failed string job and what do you do with it?

ten11
03-06-2012, 05:32 AM
It should be a fun thread to share our failures (lessons!). Even though it should be a fun thread, please do not make fun of ...

I strung my 100 rackets (roughly) last week in a rush for my son to use next day. It was later and I want to get it done quick, so here we go ...

After few mains, I just realized I was keeping pulling the string. :oops: oops, forgot to adjust the clamp.
I cannot figure out how to skip ...:oops: oh man, mounted the racket wrong.
So no big deal, main is finally done and I started to work on the cross. I still remembered I only used 33-34 feet of MCS to strung a 100 sq in. 16x19 racket. So I confidentially cut out 16 feet of pro supex maxim touch for the cross. I figure there are both multi, and should be same. ... I ends up short for 2 crosses in my 16x20 racket. Since it is just for my son, I just redo the cross with another piece of string.:oops:

I finished (sort of) my string job in about 2 hours.

I concluded the number one reason of failure is rush. I should never rush a string job in the future.

OldFedIsOld
03-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Wow you only used 16ft for your crosses on a 100" frame? I use 17ft on my k90, how were you able to tie off your final crosses without severely under tensioning it?

Bud
03-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Haste makes waste :-P

We've all done silly stuff while stringing.

Irvin
03-07-2012, 02:55 AM
Full length sets of string are actually 40' plus for a reason. Until you KNOW how much string you need use at least 40' and any error will be on your side. After you know how much is waste for a particular racket then you can cut back.

Xpherex
03-07-2012, 05:15 AM
I do measure this way. If I string 2 peaces. Mains: 2 racket length (even little less) + 14 (or 16, depends on the pattern) head size in the middle. X: number of crosses, I measure in the middle + last to the string gripper. and it always more than enough for me. However I've done only 7-8 racquets.

ten11
03-07-2012, 05:22 AM
Wow you only used 16ft for your crosses on a 100" frame? I use 17ft on my k90, how were you able to tie off your final crosses without severely under tensioning it?

MCS (mantis comfort synthetic) is very elastic. I cut out 38 feet of string and did a one piece. I noticed I got good 5-6 feet of string left.
That is why I cut out 16 feet to do the cross because I figure the cross side is shorter than the main. I failed to finish the racket because it is too short. I still think I can do that with MCS. Pro supex is not as elastic as MCS.

ten11
03-07-2012, 05:47 AM
Full length sets of string are actually 40' plus for a reason. Until you KNOW how much string you need use at least 40' and any error will be on your side. After you know how much is waste for a particular racket then you can cut back.
I kept a google document to record all my string jobs. When, what racket, tension, type of string, how long string used, etc. I even record how many I used from each reel so I can keep track of what left in case I need to trade the reel.
I normally look back the document and find out how long. In this particular case, I made a mistake because the reference string is too different and I am cutting exact length. Once I pull the first cross, I had a bad feeling.

Irvin
03-07-2012, 07:14 AM
...Once I pull the first cross, I had a bad feeling.

I hate that feeling. Funny how you just seem to know you aren't going to have enough.

Maui19
03-07-2012, 09:18 AM
My only fail so far (other than the odd misweave that I correct immediately) is mounting the racquet incorrectly. I discovered it went I went to tie-off the second main. Crap. Of course I was using gut. I unstrung the mains, and was able to untie the first knot on the mains without roughing up the string too much. I reused the gut, and the string job worked out just fine. I think I actually got a couple extra hours out of the strings than I normally do.

I wasn't rushing, but I did this job first thing in the morning after an evening out with friends. ;)

Irvin
03-07-2012, 09:28 AM
If that happened to be I would start the string with the side that had the knot about 6" longer. That way you will have that weakened section of string out of play and still be able to tie off both sides.

PhotoBlue
03-07-2012, 11:56 AM
I was stringing a youtek speed pro. I finished the mains with no problems (it seamed) then I started the crosses and realized that I put a main through a cross grommet... So now there is a big gap between the first two crosses. So I finished the racquet and then shoved it in the closet... Oh well... I'll do it right some time lol

cknobman
03-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Since I am still learning I mess up nearly every string job I do.

Last job I did freaking perfect and then when I went to snip the ends off my ties I accidentally notched a main with the end of my needlenose pliers. I was like WTF why am I so stupid!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyways string job was too nice to tear out so I took it to the courts and hit with it. Lasted exactly 5 minutes until I hit that snipped string nice and solid then SNAP!!!!!

Another big blunder I pulled was clamping the crosses on a poly job I did. Dense string pattern was giving me trouble getting the clamp in on some of my cross strings so I decided to turn the clamp vertical (which does not clamp the freaking cross strings) and keep going not knowing any better. I ended up with one loose as hell cross string job. I still hit with the racquet. Amazingly I was actually able to control the ball decently. Kept it in for about 2 weeks that way.

Wikky
03-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Want to know the fastest way to add about 50 pounds to a racquet? putting a cross string around the tower base and not noticing until you tie off and clip the string at the end.... at least now i don't have to buy any led tape.

ten11
03-07-2012, 03:43 PM
... my needlenose pliers...
Thanks for sharing.
That is why you need a starting clamp. Good thing is the needlenose pliers caused damage to the string not the stringer.