PDA

View Full Version : Experimenting with Lead Tape

brettsticker86
03-06-2012, 08:34 AM
I currently have 4 total strips, 2 each at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions on my pure drive + roddick. I'm wanting to add some to the handle to see how this will affect the racket. Anybody on here have any experience with this similar setup? any feed back is greatly appreciated!

Power Player
03-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Seems pretty common,but the only way to know is by playing.

No one here can tell you what works, but if you make the stick too heavy you will struggle.

TimothyO
03-06-2012, 09:28 AM
I currently have 4 total strips, 2 each at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions on my pure drive + roddick. I'm wanting to add some to the handle to see how this will affect the racket. Anybody on here have any experience with this similar setup? any feed back is greatly appreciated!

I've done tons of experimentation with lead tape. I started out using the TW mod tool for a "numbers" based approach and it IS important to document your mods at some point for reference purposes. Over time you'll learn what you like and dislike and it's nice to know those hard numbers as a point of reference.

However, I've also found the most productive way to mod a frame is to head to the courts with a patient friend (or spouse!) and take along some lead tape, scissors, and an exacto blade for stubborn tape that won't come up.

First, play the frame purely stock. Whatever the stroke you're looking primarily for stability and pace, the two things lead tape can really help with. Lead can also modify flex but that's a more subtle effect.

While hitting repeated serves, forehands, backhands, and volleys get a feel for any twisting the racquet might do. These are stability issues.

Does it twist in your hand on off center hits?

Does the head recoil significantly vs heavy shots?

When serving look for spin generation and pace. Lead can improve pace on serve by helping you plow through the ball but too much can limit racquet head speed and therefore limit spin. It's a balancing game based on your physique and technique. Lead seems to also increase ball pocketing and spin too in the right locations.

Based on these observations add lead at the following locations to address specific issues. A little in the right spot goes a long way so start small and add only enough to address a given issue:

- for added pace and plow, especially on serve, add lead at 12

- for added stability to prevent twisting add lead at 3/9

- you can add lead at 10/2 instead of 12 and 3/9...depends on personal feel...

- for added torsional stability against heavy shots and prevent the head from recoiling too much add lead under the grip where your palm rests...lead at 12 also helps with this.

- if the frame feels too flexy lead towards the throat or 6 seems to stiffen it. 3/9 have a similar effect but to a lesser degree. flex seems to increase with lead at 12 and under the grip.

In any given area of concern it's usually best to start small, just a few grams. As lead is placed at extreme points on the frame (12 and 3/9) its effect is magnified for stability and power purposes. As it moves away from those points the effect is reduced. For example, lead at 3/9 has a dramatic effect on twist stability and less as you move towards 10/2 and then 12.

It's also best to apply lead as thin as possible and close to the grommets. 1/4" tape is best for the hoop but in some cases it's better to cut it to 1/8" wide. And if you want to concentrate weight at a given point I've found it better to apply a couple of layers of 1/4" tape rather than a wide piece of 1/2" tape...not sure why but getting that mass closer to the grommets just feels more solid and stable.

As you go about your test session add or subtract lead from different points based on feel. Sometimes shifting a bit of lead from 3/9 towards 10/2 can have a big effect.

Remember too that it also depends on the type of players you face. What works at low level, patty cake exchanges is different from what's needed against cannonballs fired by a 4.0+ player. Vs lower velocity balls you can get away with less mass and more maneuverability while you'll need to eat your Wheaties and use more mass against high velocity, high spin shots.

Again, moderation is the key. Only use what you need to achieve a pace and stability result vs the shots you face. And remember that weight at the grip can be added with a heavier grip! A big chunk of my frame's added mass comes from a Wilson Shock Shield replacement grip.

eldub20
03-07-2012, 04:33 PM
...It's also best to apply lead as thin as possible and close to the grommets...

Nice post!

I'm intrigued by what I have put in bold in your quote. I always put the lead as close to the edge of the frame (inside the hoop i.e. @ 3 & 9) as opposed to right next to the grommets. Are you saying that the closest to the grommets you put the lead, the more efficient it will be?

I remember reading somewhere that they were recommending putting the lead on the outside of the hoop for a more pronounced effect, but never got to try it...anyone tried that at 3 & 9?

Thanks.

TimothyO
03-08-2012, 05:28 AM
Nice post!

I'm intrigued by what I have put in bold in your quote. I always put the lead as close to the edge of the frame (inside the hoop i.e. @ 3 & 9) as opposed to right next to the grommets. Are you saying that the closest to the grommets you put the lead, the more efficient it will be?

I remember reading somewhere that they were recommending putting the lead on the outside of the hoop for a more pronounced effect, but never got to try it...anyone tried that at 3 & 9?

Thanks.

There's a banned TT member who suggested both of these things for different reasons: tape close to the grommets and tape outside the frame down at 5/7. He's a professional stringer/racquet tech.

I've tried his various suggestions and they seem to work well, especially the bit about keeping the tape close to the grommets. After I tried that I then tried on the edge/outside of the head and didn't like the feel...sort of dead imo. Keeping the mass closer to the grommets felt more solid and vibrant to me.

I'

mixedmedia
08-04-2012, 03:34 PM
I know I'm reviving an old thread, but how much extra mass does that Wilson replacement grip add, and how thick is it?

I just started experimenting with tape and added a bit to my Speed IG MP starting a 3/9 and ending around 5/7 (basically spanning the ideal hitting area/sweet spot) and then significantly more low in the throat in an attempt to add overall mass (power, right?), stability, and move the balance point a bit more HL. I like the feel of the heavier racquet, but since I added mass mostly in the throat, is it actually improving power, and have I moved the balance point? Thanks!

Also, I heard you shouldn't add lead tape under grip in handle because the sweat can dissolve it and allow it to seep into the skin. Idk how true it is, though.

EDIT: I think I added about 4.5 g total, in 1/4-ish inch x 4.5 inch strips on each side of the grommet, at what I'll call 4:15/7:45 I guess. (Should I lower it some? It seemed elegant to me to have it span the sweet spot, though not a traditional 3/9 or 5/7, &c. position.) And I added the rest of the 18 g pack as low in the fork as it would go, distributed on each side in about 2.25 inch strips (ended up as 8 layers on each side, I think).

Racquet is 333 g (11.7 oz.) unstrung now, supposedly.

Hope all this makes sense. :)

mixedmedia
08-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Just read over first post of: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=309803. I was hoping to add spin too, since my shots are usually too flat, so did I do the type of setup (depolarized) opposite of what I maybe should have (polarized)? Or should I do what fits my current game best, get added power, and work on adding spin with my stroke. So conflicted right now...

Thanks in advance! (And maybe I should have made my own thread--cam across this one through a search.)

mixedmedia
08-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Could leather grips help my cause? it seems like I have added/will add much more weight to handle and fork area and relative little to hoop.

I'll restate my goals for clarity: improve stability some, add power, make more head light. My thinking now is that by adding weight I won't have to swing so hard/worry about power as much, so I will be able to focus on producing more spin (which I need/tend to lose when hitting hard).

Comments/thoughts/anything?

Thank you so much!