PDA

View Full Version : Would Federer have been more successful if he was left handed?

svijk
03-06-2012, 10:39 AM
One thing that people often mention, that has been bane of Fed's career is the Nadal match up. Specifically, it has been Nadal's relentless attack on Fed's bh with high top spin.

Just for kicks, all things being the same....had Fed been left handed, with a 1 HBH, would he have been more successful in his career ,simply because he would be able to handle Nadal more effectively.

of course the question would come up 'how would he handle righty players hitting to his bh'....answer is nobody hits a FH like Nadal;with so much loop spin and height. Thoughts?

Bobby Jr
03-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Hell yes. While you could argue he'd be worse off in Fh to FH exchanges with a right handed player he already gets around plenty of backhands to hit forehands.

Imagine that forehand being hit straight down the court into a right handed players forehand corner or crosscourt to the backhand corner. He would benefit on some rallys also where the opponent tried to attack his backhand as he'd be able to slice the ball (he has the best slice as it is) up the line into the opponents backhand corner who would then basically have two options: go for a winner dtl (risky) or, the far more common scenario, hit back crosscourt to where he would be waiting with his left handed forehand. People avoid hitting to his forehand like crazy as it is (see Murray the other night) but if he was left handed it would be harder to avoid it during rallys especially as it would buck the natural rally tendencies of most players. They'd have to play differently to handle it which would generally benefit him I'd think.

And the serve. It'd be even harder to return for most players.

John McEnroe said during a match I watched in about 2006-7 that the only way he could see to improve Federer's game would be to make him left handed. That might be a stretch but the theory would probably pan out for most players to be honest.

dnj30
03-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Name any right handed player and ask the same question and the answer will always be yes. Lefties have one simple overwhelming advantage: EVERYONE HATES PLAYING AGAINST LEFTIES!!
BTW-I'm lefthanded, and i hate playing lefties too.

Biscuitmcgriddleson
03-06-2012, 02:50 PM
I think he would have been a better player. Nadal wouldn't have been able to pin him as easily and Federer would be able to really let those forehands fly.

kishnabe
03-06-2012, 03:19 PM
I guess....but it think he won't play the classy game being lefty. As a lefty.....you feel inclined to play like Nadal.

svijk
03-07-2012, 05:42 AM
I guess....but it think he won't play the classy game being lefty. As a lefty.....you feel inclined to play like Nadal.

Agree...someone had once posted a mirror image video of Fed / Nadal where Fed was lefty and Nadal a righty and Fed didn't look so elegant anymore

monfed
03-07-2012, 05:44 AM
I think the more interesting question is if Nadal played right handed(which he infact is) would he have had ANY success? ;)

rommil
03-07-2012, 05:52 AM
I think the more interesting question is if Nadal played right handed(which he infact is) would he have had ANY success? ;)

Nadal doesn't know his right from left, he is just doing what he is told to do :)

elpolaco84
03-07-2012, 02:11 PM
he'll end up being another Feliciano Lopez

dnj30
03-07-2012, 02:28 PM

Thats a better question. I wonder how many of these tennis parents/coaches have started their kids out learning the game lefthanded, even if they are natural righties. It would make a lot of sense. If you were going to build a tennis player from scratch, you would make him/her lefty, right? A young kid could learn the game from either wing without any problem i think. Anyone out there involved in youth tennis seeing this happening?