PDA

View Full Version : Indian Wells Draw

OddJack
03-06-2012, 09:01 PM
For the second straight major event in 2012 Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal have landed on the same half of the draw. That leaves Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray projected to clash in the top half semifinal of the Indian Wells tennis masters.

The World No. 1 Djokovic and defending champion is seeded to meet Delray Beach champion Kevin Anderson in the third round, Richard Gasquet in round four before Tomas Berdych in the quarterfinals. Berdych may have to play the Andy Roddick-Ivo Karlovic winner in the third round to meet either Nicolas Almagro, Kei Nishikori or Sam Querrey in the fourth. It won’t be easy for the Czech.

Andy Murray is on the path to face the big serving Viktor Troicki, assuming the Serb gets through Ryan Harrison in the second round. Murray might then meet Stan Wawrinka or Gilles Simon ahead of a date against Mardy Fish in the quarterfinals. Fish’s only real roadblock could come in the form of John Isner in the fourth round. And if that match happens Isner gets the edge on form.

http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/Scores/Draws.aspx

http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2012-03-06/9016.php

monfed
03-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Sh1t draws for Djokovic and Murray.
Anyone good in the other half?

Ralph got Tsonga(atleast its not Berdych this time). Fed got Delpo. Fed's got the toughest draw imo.

Fedex
03-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Ralph got Tsonga(atleast its not Berdych this time). Fed got Delpo. Fed's got the toughest draw imo.

Rather Delpo than Anderson, Bedych, Karlovic, Toicki, Wawrinka and Isner.
All danger names you look to avoid.
Who else is dangerous in Fed's draw?
And is Delpo really a problem? Federer is 10-2 H2H, and Murray is 5-1 H2H with pre injury Del Potro.

purge
03-06-2012, 11:11 PM
monstrous draw for fed from R3 onwards with a possible raonic-davy-delpo-rafa route to the final. if he gets through that one its gonna be huge for his confidence i think

Magnus
03-06-2012, 11:15 PM
DP again in Fed's path? How many times does Fed need to beat the guy? Let Nadal have him!

Fedex
03-06-2012, 11:16 PM
monstrous draw for fed from R3 onwards with a possible raonic-davy-delpo-rafa route to the final. if he gets through that one its gonna be huge for his confidence i think

Here's some monstrous draws:

Djokovic got Anderson, Berdych/Karlovic and Murray.

Murray got Troicki, Wawrinka, Isner and Djokovic.

Edit: It's not really a monstrous draw for Federer unless you're a Federer fanny.

merlinpinpin
03-06-2012, 11:27 PM

Djokovic got Anderson, Berdych/Karlovic and Murray.

Edit: hardly eye watering stuff for Federer.

Are you just trolling aimlessly, or do you really think that Anderson (whom Djokovic crushed 3 times out of 3 in 2011) and Berdych (against whom Djokovic has a 6-win streak and is 8-1) are "a monstrous draw" compared to the unknown quantity Raonic and Del Potro? I guess the Nadal fans will complain too cause he's got tennis powerhouses Lopez and Granollers in his draw. Talk about insecurity... :roll:

Fedex
03-06-2012, 11:28 PM
DP again in Fed's path? How many times does Fed need to beat the guy? Let Nadal have him!

Yes, how terrrible.
Give him Anderson and Berdych/Karlovic or Troicki, Wawrinka and Isner instead.

Fedex
03-06-2012, 11:30 PM
Are you just trolling aimlessly, or do you really think that Anderson (whom Djokovic crushed 3 times out of 3 in 2011) and Berdych (against whom Djokovic has a 6-win streak and is 8-1) are "a monstrous draw" compared to the unknown quantity Raonic and Del Potro? I guess the Nadal fans will complain too cause he's got tennis powerhouses Lopez and Granollers in his draw. Talk about insecurity... :roll:

Only a biased Federer fanny would think that Fed has a harder draw than Djokovic or Murray.
Seriously man.
You lot need to get a grip. I mean, I admire Federer but let's keep it real.

purge
03-06-2012, 11:33 PM

Djokovic got Anderson, Berdych and Murray.

Federer is naturally heading to meet a top 4 player in the semi so before that he has Raonic, Davy and Delpo.
Hardly eye watering stuff.
raonic atm is by far the toughest 3rd round match you can get on this surface. davydenko was in superb form lately. delpo seems to slowy be coming back to his 09 HC form. sure fed sports massive h2h leads against both but thats not an instant win. the match starts at 0-0 and both sport a great game for these conditions.

djoko has a free pass until the quarters. anderson was playing good lately but he cant trouble the big guys. and berdych will have gone though alot of fire by the time they meet in the quarters. if he even gets there

murrays draw is quite interesting. not at the beginning cause garcia lopez and troicki will pose no threat to him. wawrinka and isner are gonna be tests tho. still on this surface he should have a clear advantage vs stan. isner is gonna be a fun matchup.

nadals draw could turn out in very different ways. if haas gets past nieminen in R1 i give him a good shot at playing another hearty match against rafa in R3. not seeing him win it tho. dolgopolov is always hard to predict and its very much up in the air for me who will await him in the QF. naturally it should be tsonga but he could run into nalbandian, stepanek, tomic, tipsy all dangerous to him imo

i see feds draw as the toughest

purge
03-06-2012, 11:34 PM
Yes, how terrrible.
Give him Anderson and Berdych/Karlovic or Troicki, Wawrinka and Isner instead.
all easier takedowns for fed apart from the birdman maybe

merlinpinpin
03-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Only a biased Federer fanny would think that Fed has a harder draw than Djokovic or Murray.
Seriously man.
You lot need to get a grip. I mean, I admire Federer but let's keep it real.

You don't have to be so afraid, you know. Beside Nadal's draw, which looks much easier, the other three are pretty balanced. Although, let's be serious for a moment, Anderson isn't really a threat. Besides, do you really think that Wawrinka would be a more dangerous opponent than Raonic for Federer?

dr325i
03-06-2012, 11:36 PM

Djokovic crushed the butt-picker 6 times out of 6 in 2011...so, that is irrelevant here... Anderson of today is better than Anderson of 2011.
Again, same with the Berdych comparo...

Raonic was and still is the most overrated player out there that only has a big serve that is no threat for anyone in the top 8, and a joke for Federer (easy 2 sets)....

Delpo is currently the top 5-6 player, and yes, it is ugly to have him in the draw.

Fedex
03-06-2012, 11:36 PM
You don't have to be so afraid, you know. Beside Nadal's draw, which looks much easier, the other three are pretty balanced. Although, let's be serious for a moment, Anderson isn't really a threat... ;)

Did you see what Anderson did to Murray in Toronto?

merlinpinpin
03-06-2012, 11:40 PM
Did you see what Anderson did to Murray in Toronto?

All right, then. "Be afraid. Be very afraid." ;)

Fedex
03-06-2012, 11:44 PM
All right, then. "Be afraid. Be very afraid." ;)

Anderson clinically demolished Murray.
Ok not the best Murray but he'll have to be on the top his game to see off Anderson.

syc23
03-07-2012, 12:28 AM
Anderson clinically demolished Murray.
Ok not the best Murray but he'll have to be on the top his game to see off Anderson.

Murray was half asleep when he played Anderson. This fluke win won't be repeated ever again. Djoko will destroy this fraud from RSA.

joeri888
03-07-2012, 12:33 AM
Federer will play:

Tursunov, Raonic, prolly Monfils, Delpo/Ferrer, Nadal, Djokovic/Murray

Bobby Jr
03-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Murray hasn't got it that bad up the the finals. Troicki and Isner aren't big guns yet. Isner especially has little long term class at this stage - just spurts of form. Murray's worry should be Wawrinka. If Wawrinka could pull out his once-every-ten-matches top form he is not push-over.

Rozroz
03-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Murray is now in Djoko's head.

Rhino
03-07-2012, 12:58 AM
Federer will play:

Lets face it, it's the semifinal that Federer fans need to worry about. The rest is just background noise.

Russeljones
03-07-2012, 01:12 AM
Fedex is not trolling, this is his real understanding of the game.

I too believe if Federer manages to reach the Semi he'll be in buoyant mood.

The Bawss
03-07-2012, 03:13 AM
Lets face it, it's the semifinal that Federer fans need to worry about. The rest is just background noise.

I don't think it will be that straightforward. We have gotten used to him tearing it up indoors on or fast surfaces in the last few months. He will be playing in slow, windy, high-bouncing indian wells.

joeri888
03-07-2012, 03:14 AM
I don't think it will be that straightforward. We have gotten used to him tearing it up indoors on or fast surfaces in the last few months. He will be playing in slow, windy, high-bouncing indian wells.

Agree. He'll need to be extremely focussed and probably win two breakers to beat Raonic.

The Bawss
03-07-2012, 03:16 AM
Federer will play:

Indeed, if he plays 6 matches instead of 5 it will be a tough draw.

batz
03-07-2012, 03:36 AM
Indeed, if he plays 6 matches instead of 5 it will be a tough draw.

Erm, it's a 96 man field. If Roger wants to win it then he'll need to play 6 matches.

macca1983
03-07-2012, 03:38 AM
Does Nadal not have the toughest player outside the Top 4??Tsonga.

Tennis_Hands
03-07-2012, 04:14 AM
The draw is quite balanced. All the big guys should beat some dangerous opponents (dangerous up and comming or in-form players) , before they reach the semis. From the semis onwards there is no "easy".

niff
03-07-2012, 04:24 AM
Lol at Anderson. wtf Fedex?

The Bawss
03-07-2012, 04:47 AM
Erm, it's a 96 man field. If Roger wants to win it then he'll need to play 6 matches.

I'm sure he'll have a hard time playing his first round bye. I'm rooting for an upset.

batz
03-07-2012, 05:16 AM
I'm sure he'll have a hard time playing his first round bye. I'm rooting for an upset.

Perhaps counting isn't your strong suit? There are 96 men in the draw, 32 of whom are seeded and recieve R1 byes.

R1 is the 64 non-seeds playing for a place in R2
R2 is the 32 R1 winners plus the 32 seeds playing for a place in R3 (Roger's 1st match)
R3 is the 32 R2 winners playing for a place in R4 (Roger's 2nd match)
R4 is the 16 R3 winners playing for a place in QFs (Roger's 3rd match)
QFs is the 8 R4 winners playing for a place in the SFs (Roger's 4th match)
SFs is the 4 QF winners playing for place in the final (Roger's 5th match)
Final is the 2 SF winners playing for the title (Roger's 6th match)

Do you 'get it' yet?

SLD76
03-07-2012, 05:18 AM
Perhaps counting isn't your strong suit? There are 96 men in the draw, 32 of whom are seeded and recieve R1 byes.

R2 is the 32 R1 winners plus the 32 seeds playing for a place in R3 (Roger's 1st match)

Do you 'get it' yet?

all i hope for is roger doesnt love pts from Indian Wells.

semi is good enough for me.

Delpo in the qtr could be a bit of a worrry though.

jottect
03-07-2012, 05:19 AM

Do you 'get it' yet?

Nope... a drawing may help! :)

The Bawss
03-07-2012, 05:54 AM

Do you 'get it' yet?

Oh yeah, Miami and Indian wells have bigger draws than the other 1000s. Whatever.

dudeski
03-07-2012, 06:30 AM
I am surprised Clarky21 didn't post the following yet:

"Nadal has no chance to even reach semifinal to play Federer. The way Nadal has been playing lately, he will lose in an embarrassing way if he does reach the semifinal. None of this matter anyway since the tournament is already Humpty Dumpty's".

CMM
03-07-2012, 06:33 AM
Falla is a dangerous opponent. He almost beat Federer at Wimbledon 3 years ago and he never played Rafa. The fact that he's coming after such a long break makes it even more difficult. We don't know anything about his form. Dolgopolov could also be a threat.

DjokovicForTheWin
03-07-2012, 06:37 AM
Oh my god, easiest draw for Nadal and hardest for Fed. Murray and Djoker in between.

Benhur
03-07-2012, 06:46 AM
Jack Sock and Denis Kudla have the toughest draws.

cknobman
03-07-2012, 07:09 AM
Well the official ATP World Tour website also thinks Federer has the toughest draw.

Sucks to be him but honestly I think Tsonga is going to get hot and Nadal will have his hands full.

merlinpinpin
03-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Well the official ATP World Tour website also thinks Federer has the toughest draw.

Ah, but what does the ATP official website know about tennis compared with the experts we've got here? ;)

sbengte
03-07-2012, 08:21 AM
I am surprised Clarky21 didn't post the following yet:

"Nadal has no chance to even reach semifinal to play Federer. The way Nadal has been playing lately, he will lose in an embarrassing way if he does reach the semifinal. None of this matter anyway since the tournament is already Humpty Dumpty's".

You got the Clarky impersonation so perfect that I sometimes suspect both of you are one and the same person :)

damazing
03-07-2012, 08:26 AM
I think there will be some early round good matches like:

Almagro vs Querry
Roddick vs Karlovic (battle of the serves 1)
Isner vs Mahut (battle of the serves 2)((assuming Mahut can get by Monaco))
Monfil vs Davydenko (if Davydenko decides to show up)
Tsonga vs Llodra
Dogopolov vs Young

My bet is on Nadal vs Tsonga; Federer vs Del Potro; Djokovic vs Almagro; Murray vs Isner for the Quarterfinals.

Clarky21
03-07-2012, 08:30 AM
You got the Clarky impersonation so perfect that I sometimes suspect both of you are one and the same person :)

Dudeski is a bully who is obsessed with me it seems. He cannot stop mentioning me,and brings me up in almost every thread he posts in. The funny thing is I don't even see his pathetic posts unless someone(you,unfortunately)quotes them. His posts always bring the serious :lol:,though.

dudeski
03-07-2012, 08:32 AM

She is a very one dimensional so anyone can do it. Just follow those 4 easy steps:

1. Say how badly Nadal has been playing recently totally ignoring the fact that he hasn't actually played recently and is coming of 4 slam finals in the row for the first time in his career.

2. Call the world #1 some disrespectful and idiotic name while at the same time saying that he will win everything and no one has any chance totally ignoring the fact that Djokovic has lost recently in straight sets and needed almost 6 hours to beat Nadal last time they played.

3. Blow up at anyone who dares to challenge your brilliant logic calling them a troll.

4. Go back to starring at Nadal's topless pictures and following his every step while proclaiming how hard it is to be Nadal's fan.

MichaelNadal
03-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Can't wait till IW starts, I need a tennis fix. Lol

dParis
03-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Am I the only one who thinks IW should release the draw on a better format than that ridiculous two-page PDF format? With this field, it should be similar to/the same as the draw interfaces for the majors. Leave this PDF stuff for the 500/250 events.

double barrels
03-07-2012, 08:50 AM
yea i agree, get rid of the pdf, thatd be cool

dudeski
03-07-2012, 09:02 AM
I am predicting Nadal vs Murray final. Murray should take it if it is not too windy :)

monfed
03-07-2012, 09:06 AM
I am predicting Nadal vs Murray final. Murray should take it if it is not too windy :)

But you KNOW it would be windy right? ;)

GRANITECHIEF
03-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Wind forecast to be 10mph or less Friday - Friday.

purge
03-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Wind forecast to be 10mph or less Friday - Friday.

forecast for more than 3 days into the future is nosnense. yay for turbulent flow :D

Hood_Man
03-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Can't wait till IW starts, I need a tennis fix. Lol

Same here, and I've got a nice work schedule next week that will allow me to watch as much as possible.

Geology_Rocks!
03-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Djokovic has the worse draw of the top 4. He will have to play a never ending match with Murray and than take a fresh Nadal that took Federer out straights.

Russeljones
03-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Falla is a dangerous opponent. He almost beat Federer at Wimbledon 3 years ago and he never played Rafa. The fact that he's coming after such a long break makes it even more difficult. We don't know anything about his form. Dolgopolov could also be a threat.

Are you Fedex in disguise?

timnz
03-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Wonder how slow the court surface will be? Federer must feel so frustrated!!

Fedex
03-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Are you Fedex in disguise?

Twat man strikes again. Ski Ba Bop Ba Dop Bop...

Russeljones comes from Twatland.
If you're wondering where Twatland is, you don't have to look too far; it's between your deepest dreams and warmest wishes.
You just make up any old thing in your imagination, portray it as fact, project onto other people, and bob's your uncle.

tusharlovesrafa
03-09-2012, 08:03 PM
She is a very one dimensional so anyone can do it. Just follow those 4 easy steps:

1. Say how badly Nadal has been playing recently totally ignoring the fact that he hasn't actually played recently and is coming of 4 slam finals in the row for the first time in his career.

2. Call the world #1 some disrespectful and idiotic name while at the same time saying that he will win everything and no one has any chance totally ignoring the fact that Djokovic has lost recently in straight sets and needed almost 6 hours to beat Nadal last time they played.

3. Blow up at anyone who dares to challenge your brilliant logic calling them a troll.

4. Go back to starring at Nadal's topless pictures and following his every step while proclaiming how hard it is to be Nadal's fan.

LOL..I concur..