PDA

View Full Version : Starting Clamps???

jgreen06
03-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Does anyone know what happened to the starting clamp(s) that TW was selling? I was thinking of buying one and noticed they are nowhere to be found. Were the Gamma ones discontinued? If so, will TW be selling any others? where else can I pick one up from?

Thanks

COPEY
03-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Google ;-)

MAX PLY
03-06-2012, 08:18 PM
The Gamma ones are available from their (Gamma's) primary vendor and they work just fine. Not sure why TW doesn't carry anymore.

mad dog1
03-06-2012, 09:13 PM
had a gamma that came w/ my 6004. also have an eagnas starting clamp that i bought as well as a babolat starting clamp that came w/ my sensor. when i sold my 6004, i just included the gamma clamp. i haven't missed it one bit. the eagnas and babolat starting clamps are better. in other words, if you need a good starting clamp for the least amount of cash outlay, get the eagnas.

Irvin
03-07-2012, 03:02 AM
Does not appear TW is carrying them any more but you can still get them from other places. Gamma clamps are $39 and Eagnas clamps are $25.

pvaudio
03-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Gamma or Alpha clamps only. Babolat if you want to order from the UK and spend more. I say this because my Eagnas clamp failed within a year.

OldFedIsOld
03-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Whats the use of starting clamps? I have been able to do one piece and two piece string jobs without them.

Rabbit
03-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Whats the use of starting clamps? I have been able to do one piece and two piece string jobs without them.

you can do a search, but basically starting clamps make life a lot easier. they allow you to do a two-piece without a starting knot, which i like a lot better, they are also indispensable when you have a situation where the string doesn't reach the tensioner. last year when stringing for one particular player in a tournament, they wanted natural gut in their crosses on an 18X20 kBlade. every time I strung it, the crosses came up short of the tensioner and i had to use a starting clamp as a bridge.

oldcity
03-07-2012, 12:07 PM
I bought one from alpha for around 35.00. its a lot more rugged than it looks in the website picture. i do two piece stringing with finishing knots so i needed a clamp plus my last racquet i came up about 4" short of the gripper on the last cross. used the clamp to bridge to the gripper with some scrap string. its worth it just for that.

jim e
03-07-2012, 05:50 PM

Reasons for a starting clamp: Not a necessity, but makes life easier.

They are reasonably cheap!

1.I have used it for flattening out the tip end of the string, which made cutting the tip at an angle easier, to help slide the string through a blocked hole.

2.Also used to bridge a scrap piece of string, to extend the length of string to reach tension head when string was a little short.(This saved my behind a # of times, I could have tied a string, but that is time consuming, and not reliable!)I keep a separate starting clamp with a scrap string on it when this situation happens, I am all set to bridge the string.

3.Also, there are some racquets where the cross tie off to start is listed to tie on a cross string,one example,Babolat PStorm, the cross tieoff is on the 3rd cross (not on a main). You need a starting clamp so you can weave the first several crosses , then tieoff at the 11 H.as listed. You can enlargen a grommet if you want to as long as you do this before you start, but is not what manuf. stringing pattern lists

4.I also use a starting clamp to start my crosses, so all knots are the same,and you would not be tying off on a main string and pulling tension against it, and when using thin gut or other 'fragile' multifilament strings, and especially at higher tensions, it is not uncommon to snap that first cross string right at the knot or at the two sharp turns the string makes, With using a starting clamp, you do not pull tension against these turns.

5. Some ATW patterns require the use of a starting clamp, (Or use of flying clamp, to use like a starting clamp), to hold the tension of the string on outside of the frame, until you free up a machine clamp

6. Some stringers like to use it to cinch up a knot as well, personally I just use my fingers.

7. Use a starting clamp to back up the machines clamp when starting the main strings.( Can be used as back up, or used with the Yusuki method of starting mains ) .

They are cheap! I have 3 of them. They are cheap. Yes you can do without, but like anything else when you have one its nice to have. I would not want to string without one any more. It costs more for a set of VS gut than a starting clamp.