PDA

View Full Version : Delpo 3rd favourite for Roland Garros

batz
03-07-2012, 02:15 PM
According to more than one British bookie.

http://www.oddschecker.com/tennis/french-open/mens-french-open/winner

SLD76
03-07-2012, 02:16 PM
.......que?

laughingbuddha
03-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Is this some kind of money-making strategy for the bookies? Obviously he is fifth favorite at best.

TennisFan3
03-07-2012, 02:19 PM
I think the favorites are:

Djokovic
Nadal
Federer
Murray
Delpo
Rest of the field.

Personally, I cannot see anything other than a Djoko or Nadal win. If Djoko loses before the final, Nadal wins, else the Serb wins.

Any other outcome will be a HUGE surprise to say the least.

Bud
03-07-2012, 02:19 PM
I don't see Delpo as a SF in 2012. So, 5th or 6th at best.

My list:
Nadal
Federer
Djokovic
Murray
Ferrer
Delpo

tennis_pro
03-07-2012, 02:22 PM
There are a few surprises here and there.

Raonic is a bigger favorite for the FO than Almagro haha what.

Federer is at 12-1 but there's literally 1 man who can stop him - Nadal so if he goes out in some freak upset or Djokovic takes him out in the semis (the rankings and seedings can well change till May), Federer becomes the new favorite for the title.

Nalbandian :) - one of the favorites for every major even though the last time he reached the QF of a major was almost 6 years ago.

Soderling is the 9th favorite at 50-1 even though he hasn't played for more than 6 months and doesn't look likely to come back soon (I hope I'm wrong).

Gulbis' odds are comparable to John Isner who pushed Nadal last year to 5 sets. When was the last time Gulbis won 2 matches in a row again?

Telepatic
03-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Well, I'd put him as 4th.

jayoub95
03-07-2012, 02:39 PM
This slam will be so important for Djokovic to win because he hasn't won it yet and if he does it will be all 4 slams in a row for the big guy. If it is a Nadal Djok final i'm with Djoker all the way! Dunno about Del Potro though...

bluescreen
03-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Well he's listed as 4th favorite now.

tenniselbow1
03-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Where is Nadalagassi, want his input on this:) The bookies have this correct picking Delpo in the 4th spot.

BrooklynNY
03-07-2012, 04:58 PM
My pick would be Isner for a 4-7 slot.

I understand he can likely lose to anyone at anytime at Rolland Garros....but it's safe to say he is also likely to beat anyone at anytime.

Whether or not you want to say he only won breakers.... he pushed Nadal to 5 sets last year. He has taken Djokovic to 5 sets on clay.... and has actually beaten Federer in 4 sets, on clay, this year.

Surely that alone must place him in the 4-7 range, if he gets a friendly draw, he can make the quarters/semis easily.

Mick
03-07-2012, 05:16 PM

Djokovic
Nadal
Federer
Murray
Delpo
Rest of the field.

Personally, I cannot see anything other than a Djoko or Nadal win. If Djoko loses before the final, Nadal wins, else the Serb wins.

well, if nadal and djokovic are on the same side, and djokovic beats nadal, federer could pull off an upset. Federer got to the final (of RG) many times, whereas Djokovic never got there.

Fate Archer
03-07-2012, 05:23 PM
4th favorite sounds right for Del Potro. Nadal, Djokovic and Fed above him, Murray, Ferrer and the rest bellow.

monfed
03-07-2012, 07:57 PM
I'd put the tower of tandil as the 3rd favourite, behind Ralph and Nole.

Clarky21
03-07-2012, 08:00 PM

Even ahead of Roger? I don't know about that.

sbengte
03-07-2012, 08:01 PM

But the plan is for him to land in Fed's quarter and lose in 5 sets :)

monfed
03-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Even ahead of Roger? I don't know about that.

I based it on Delpony having a better shot of beating Ralph than Fed. ;)

monfed
03-07-2012, 08:05 PM
But the plan is for him to land in Fed's quarter and lose in 5 sets :)

The French have other ideas. :twisted:

Mick
03-07-2012, 08:06 PM
it would be crazy if somehow murray managed to beat everybody and win his first grand slam at RG like his current coach did :)

kishnabe
03-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Either the Bookies are playing us or they are just stupid.

LOL Delpo third Fav....apart from a RG SF and taking a set off Nadal on clay. What has he done that is better than Federer or even Murray on clay.

Yes he can push the top guys on clay if his game work together. I only seeing it working on Madrid and French open. Where altitude and the balls will play to his strengths.

kishnabe
03-07-2012, 08:11 PM
it would be crazy if somehow murray managed to beat everybody and win his first grand slam at RG like his current coach did :)

Ya....it would be funny if he beat Djokovic in the final from 2 sets down and a break down int he forth. 10 years later it turns out that was Djokovic only French Open final.

monfed
03-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Either the Bookies are playing us or they are just stupid.

LOL Delpo third Fav....apart from a RG SF and taking a set off Nadal on clay. What has he done that is better than Federer or even Murray on clay.

Yes he can push the top guys on clay if his game work together. I only seeing it working on Madrid and French open. Where altitude and the balls will play to his strengths.

Delpo breadsticked Ralph in DC and almost won that second set. In the fourth he came close to taking it to a fifth. The noisy Madrid crowd really got behind their hero. In Paris,the crowd would be neutral or might even favour Delpo if he faces off against the bull so his chances go up. Simply put,Delpo gives Ralph fits. OTOH, Fed's got no chance against Ralph on clay.

And Fed didn't romp home to victory against Delpo in RG 09. It was a tough five setter and at one point it looked like Fed was all set to ruin the perfect opportunity to win RG.

DelPotro is an extremely competent player on clay and putting him ahead of Fed is hardly a stretch at this point.

TMF
03-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Where is Nadalagassi, want his input on this:) The bookies have this correct picking Delpo in the 4th spot.

Since you asked, I just noticed he got banned. No wonder I haven't seen any of his post for awhile.

kishnabe
03-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Delpo breadsticked Ralph in DC and almost won that second set. In the fourth he came close to taking it to a fifth. The noisy Madrid crowd really got behind their hero. In Paris,the crowd would be neutral or might even favour Delpo if he faces off against the bull so his chances go up. Simply put,Delpo gives Ralph fits. OTOH, Fed's got no chance against Ralph on clay.

And Fed didn't romp home to victory against Delpo in RG 09. It was a tough five setter and at one point it looked like Fed was all set to ruin the perfect opportunity to win RG.

DelPotro is an extremely competent player on clay and putting him ahead of Fed is hardly a stretch at this point.

Okay I see your point. Still Federer has been dominant on clay for more years and can still play top level clay court tennis. Del Potro just doesn't seem like the guy who can win 7 best of five matches on clay. We will see coming into the CC season to see where Delpo stands.

We all know how he pushed Rafa at DC, Federer in 2009 RG and Novak in 2011 RG. I just don't see him doing all that in one tournament.

1.Nadal
2. Djokovic
3.Federer
4.Murray
5.Del Potro
6,Ferrer
is the order of clay favorites.

monfed
03-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Okay I see your point. Still Federer has been dominant on clay for more years and can still play top level clay court tennis. Del Potro just doesn't seem like the guy who can win 7 best of five matches on clay. We will see coming into the CC season to see where Delpo stands.

We all know how he pushed Rafa at DC, Federer in 2009 RG and Novak in 2011 RG. I just don't see him doing all that in one tournament.

1.Nadal
2. Djokovic
3.Federer
4.Murray
5.Del Potro
6,Ferrer
is the order of clay favorites.

Murray over Delpo? Why? :-?

purge
03-07-2012, 09:40 PM
agree with everyone who ranks delpo as 5th favorite

OddJack
03-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Delpo will never win another major.

monfed
03-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Delpo will never win another major.

Hope he proves you wrong. :-|

kishnabe
03-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Murray over Delpo? Why? :-?

Two SF at RG total. Plus he is far more consistent than Delpo and has proved his place.

Del Potro lost his place and came back to retrieve it. He just aint there yet....Del Potro will be back to his 2009 Level towards the Summer HC season.

I will bump this thread after Rome.....it may not turn out how I think it will be. For nor Delpo as 5th contendo.

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-08-2012, 12:32 AM
well, if nadal and djokovic are on the same side, and djokovic beats nadal, federer could pull off an upset. Federer got to the final (of RG) many times, whereas Djokovic never got there.

Federer is easy the 2nd favorite for Roland Garros. Nadal is the favorite as always.

FlashFlare11
03-08-2012, 12:37 AM
Federer is easy the 2nd favorite for Roland Garros. Nadal is the favorite as always.

As of right now, yes, I agree. But I think Djokovic's performances in the clay Masters 1000 events will tell a better story of who should be second or even the outright favorite. Federer normally doesn't do that well (going by last year) in the clay Masters but can then make the final of RG. Nadal historically does well from start to finish in the clay season, so Djokovic's form will be the only one in question when the time rolls around.

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Nadal was actually the favorite for 2011 Roland Garros, despite Djokovic playing FAR better at the 2011 AO than at the 2012 AO, and despite Djokovic winning Rome and Madrid.

SLD76
03-08-2012, 02:40 AM

damn the crowd. it was the fact that delpo was obviously fatigued and ran out of steam that did him in. had he been fitter, he easily would have crushed la nadal.

tenniselbow1
03-08-2012, 03:28 AM
Since you asked, I just noticed he got banned. No wonder I haven't seen any of his post for awhile.

Surely that was coming, couldn't make it to the clay court season, what a pity.

sbengte
03-08-2012, 03:46 AM
Nadal was actually the favorite for 2011 Roland Garros, despite Djokovic playing FAR better at the 2011 AO than at the 2012 AO, and despite Djokovic winning Rome and Madrid.

http://i.imgur.com/aIWMm.gif

augustobt
03-08-2012, 06:37 AM
Delpo is Tied with Ferrer at 4th favourite.

Nadal
Novak
Fed

Delpo/Ferrer
Andy

Clarky21
03-08-2012, 07:06 AM
Delpo is Tied with Ferrer at 4th favourite.

Nadal
Novak
Fed

Delpo/Ferrer
Andy

Nadal is not the favorite over Djesus. I don't know why they have him as such.

DjokovicForTheWin
03-08-2012, 07:07 AM
Dorky21: There is no such thing as gravity. I have no idea why everyone in the world believes in it.

Andres
03-08-2012, 07:22 AM
Nadal is not the favorite over Djesus. I don't know why they have him as such.
6 RG vs. 0 runner ups.

Clarky21
03-08-2012, 07:34 AM
6 RG vs. 0 runner ups.

Doesn't matter. What matters is the 0-7 record Nadal has against him in the past year,3 of them slam finals.

mattennis
03-08-2012, 07:41 AM
Two SF at RG total. Plus he is far more consistent than Delpo and has proved his place.

Del Potro lost his place and came back to retrieve it. He just aint there yet....Del Potro will be back to his 2009 Level towards the Summer HC season.

I will bump this thread after Rome.....it may not turn out how I think it will be. For nor Delpo as 5th contendo.

Murray and Del Potro both have 1 SF at RolandGarros.

Murray has 3 SF at M-1000 on clay ( MonteCarlo'09 and '11, Rome'11 ), Del Potro only one SF at M-1000 on clay ( Madrid'09 ).

But Del Potro missed all 2010 and last year he was injured again, and could only play Madrid where he retired injured before his R16 match against Nadal.

We will see this year how he and Murray fare on clay. Last year was Murray's best year ever on clay and I bet he wants to do at least that well this year too.

Andres
03-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Doesn't matter. What matters is the 0-7 record Nadal has against him in the past year,3 of them slam finals.
You probably didn't read what I said.

6 RG vs. 0 runner ups.

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-08-2012, 08:24 AM

Nadal had won 5 consecutive slam matches vs Djokovic (3 Roland Garros, 1 US Open, 1 Wimbledon). And that didn't matter. Djokovic won the next 3.

tenniselbow1
03-08-2012, 08:27 AM

6 RG vs. 0 runner ups.

If Novak gets two-three wins over Rafa again on clay, I don't care how many RG the clown has won, he will not be the favorite. The bookies will have Rafa well behind Novak going into the FO. A recent 7-0 H2H is bad enough, make that 10-0 and were looking at Fed/Roddick odds going into the FO for Novak/Rafa.

Clarky21
03-08-2012, 08:27 AM

6 RG vs. 0 runner ups.

Again,it doesn't matter. 0-7 in over the past year,3 of those being in slam finals. Nadal is not the favorite over Djesus.

Andres
03-08-2012, 08:31 AM
Nadal may not be the favourite over Djokovic if they meet in the final and we'll have new odds for it.

As for winning Roland Garros at the beginning of the tournament, 6 RG vs. 0 runner-ups.

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-08-2012, 08:35 AM
Like I said before-

And to add to that, Nadal almost beat Djokovic at Djokovic's favorite slam. The media wills say the gap is now closing, or has completely closed. You could call the 2012 AO a tie, especially considering the surface was in favor of Djokovic.

Clarky21
03-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Like I said before-

And to add to that, Nadal almost beat Djokovic at Djokovic's favorite slam. The media wills say the gap is now closing, or has completely closed. You could call the 2012 AO a tie, especially considering the surface was in favor of Djokovic.

Nadal didn't even win a set against Djesus on clay last year. Clay has become Nadal's weakest surface. It is where he has declined the most so it's no surprise Nadal pushed Djesus slightly more on hardcourt than he did on clay. Nadal will be lucky to win games against Djesus on clay this year,much less actually beat him.

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Nadal didn't even win a set against Djesus on clay last year. Clay has become Nadal's weakest surface. It is where he has declined the most so it's no surprise Nadal pushed Djesus slightly more on hardcourt than he did on clay. Nadal will be lucky to win games against Djesus on clay this year,much less actually beat him.

I guess it won't matter, seeing as Djokovic can't beat Federer at Roland Garros.

Clarky21
03-08-2012, 08:56 AM
I guess it won't matter, seeing as Djokovic can't beat Federer at Roland Garros.

Federer is a better match up against Djesus than Nadal is. That being said,I do not see Roger winning a slam for Nadal the way he did last year by beating Humpty Dumpty for him. RG is practically a lock for Djesus,and I don't see anyone beating him there this year.

Tammo
03-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Weird list

I would say
Nadal
Djokovic
Isner
Federer
Delpo
Soderling Is he coming back before the FO?

celoft
03-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Nadal had won 5 consecutive slam matches vs Djokovic (3 Roland Garros, 1 US Open, 1 Wimbledon). And that didn't matter. Djokovic won the next 3.

Nadal will only win RG if he does not have to play Djokovic.

CDestroyer
03-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Djokovic
Nadal
Fed
Murray
Delpo
Ferrer

Feņa14
03-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Djokovic
Nadal
Fed
Murray
Delpo
Ferrer

Yup, i'd agree.

I can't see anyone outside the top 2 winning it though.

Tony48
03-08-2012, 12:59 PM
3rd favorite? Nah. Two years ago? Possibly.

Talker
03-08-2012, 02:15 PM
The bookies made the initial odds I would guess but from then on it's how people bet.

A lot of people like DelPo and want to see him make some noise, I'm included in there so the odds will reflect that, logical or not.

I would put him at 4 but definitely no higher as of now.

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Nadal will only win RG if he does not have to play Djokovic.

Judging by this sweeping statement, a lot of your posts will be in bumped and laughed at the next time Nadal beats Djokovic.

Clarky21
03-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Judging by this sweeping statement, a lot of your posts will be in bumped and laughed at the next time Nadal beats Djokovic.

Since that will never happen I'm sure Celoft isn't all that worried about having any of his posts bumped,*********. :lol:

billnepill
03-08-2012, 03:40 PM

Doesn't matter against baby Novak. Now both players are in their peak. One day when Novak surpasses nadal's slams the fact he pushed Novak to 5 will add to nadal's legacy. Novak was tired but hey excuses don't matter

cc0509
03-08-2012, 03:42 PM

Djokovic
Nadal
Federer
Murray
Delpo
Rest of the field.

I agree. Either Djokovic or Nadal will win the FO. Anybody else will be a surprise. Federer would be third fave to win IMO.