PDA

View Full Version : What to do..

jacktyler627
03-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Strung my second racket tonight, two piece job and when i started out I was planning on using wilson synthetic gut in the mains.

I got through about 12 mains and finally acknowledged the fact that i couldn't finish....Is there anything I can do??

I ended up just scrapping it and using enduro pro mains (first time poly, a lot bigger of a pain....as expected)

On a side note, how do i get tight knots.....I know it is frowned upon to tension knots by using the machine, learned my lesson with broken multi cross on the last knot tonight as well...I ended up using a little bit of string and tied off on the outside of frame (:banghead)

Just looking for some help to get that stringing time down

jim e
03-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Strung my second racket tonight, two piece job and when i started out I was planning on using wilson synthetic gut in the mains.

I got through about 12 mains and finally acknowledged the fact that i couldn't finish....Is there anything I can do??

I ended up just scrapping it and using enduro pro mains (first time poly, a lot bigger of a pain....as expected)

On a side note, how do i get tight knots.....I know it is frowned upon to tension knots by using the machine, learned my lesson with broken multi cross on the last knot tonight as well...I ended up using a little bit of string and tied off on the outside of frame (:banghead)

Just looking for some help to get that stringing time down

So you got through 12 mains and could not finish. I would like to help but you gave no reason why you could not finish?? Did you measure string length wrong and end up short or something else? You need to be specific of problem.

As to knots, learn to tie a good cinched up knot. YULItle on you tube has a very good video of the Parnell knot which is an easy knot to cinch up by hand. I would not use pliers unless you pull to same direction each time like your shoulder as it has been reported of pliers in eye or face when string snaps or pliers slip. Just not worth an accident. Some stringers pull the knot tight with starting clamp, but fingers will get the job done once you have the technique down. Here is the link. Good luck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUFjDax7xK4&fmt=18

Learn this knot and you will see it is all in the rocking technique that cinches it up. Just pulling on the knots tail only tightens the last loop and really does not much for cinching it up.

jacktyler627
03-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Oh, I meant I just had a half set and it wasn't long enough

jim e
03-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Oh, I meant I just had a half set and it wasn't long enough

Some racquets take more string than others, and also depends on string type if you cut it close.
If you have a starting clamp and was just a little short to reach the tension head of machine , a starting clamp can be used to bridge a scrap string to racquets string to pull tension on last string to finish job.
Always best to look up pattern and see how much string is recommended to use for mains and cross strings before you start job, if you are not sure of pattern.

Wikky
03-08-2012, 03:10 AM
Hey Jack sorry to hear you're having trouble. Sounds like the main problem is you're not cutting enough length for the mains. The easiest way is to just measure out 20 feet or even 22 if its a 18x20 with a ruler. However if you want to get the measurements down by hand i suggest buying 1 pack of 40 feet of string.

Take the string and cut it in half. Once you have that half set for your mains (20 feet) measure how many arm lengths that is for you by streching your arms all the way out with the string. for me 20 feet is 3 and 3/4 and 40 feet is 7 1/2. Make sure you remember that # and you'll be set anytime you pull string from a reel.

When talking about having trouble with tying knots that is a little tough. I've strung with enduro before and it is a TOUGH string to tie off because of how stiff it is. The best suggestion i have is to leave yourself some extra string (21-22ish feet) so you have some extra leverage to work with. Also if you have a starting clamp to get a better grip that can work well also.

Best of luck, let us know if you need any more advice.

Wikky

ten11
03-08-2012, 08:34 AM
I always had problem to tie the knot when I start to string. I used different ways/tools to help and actually strung most of my racket 1 piece to avoid those extra two knots. None of them worked and caused all sorts of problem include the one you listed.
I solved my fear with the starting clamp. Watch the Yulite video of how he use the starting clamp to do the correct knot. It is THAT simple with a starting clamp. :)
Starting clamp is one of my best investment so far tennis related. I highly recommend to get one. It solves so many problems and helps to tie the knot correctly.

jacktyler627
03-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks for all the responses, the stringer I am using is actually the one at our local club (where I work)

I ran out of string because i grabbed a half set that wasn't enough from the cabinet.

We do also have a starting clamp and that has been a huge help so far...

I went back to yulitles youtube channel and I think I know what to properly do on the knots now.

And I learned my lesson not to use the tension head to tension 18 g multi to a 16 g poly

Thanks everyone!