PDA

View Full Version : Is Bottom up THAT BAD?

Wikky
03-08-2012, 02:32 AM
Hey everyone, just got into this forum and its great to see a community like this that is willing to help others out who are new to tennis or stringing.

By the title you all know this is an age old stringers question. You're one piecing a racquet and you get to the bottom of the mains and you think.... "man I know I could do an around the world pattern but would it really be that bad to just string it bottom up?"

Personally I have never strung bottom up and I probably will never string bottom up just because it was pounded into my head YOU DON'T STRING BOTTOM UP. however i've talked to a lot of tour stringers and have had several of them say that racquets are made so strong now the extra force on the racquet isn't anything to worry about stringing this way. I wanted to hear who else has just accepted being lazy and having faith in manufacturers and who still sticks to their guns and will do ATW for life.

Wikky

esgee48
03-08-2012, 07:05 AM
For a customer's racquet, I string according to manufacturer's instruction. If they allow bottom up, then I do it that way. If not, then it's top down.

For Kmart/Costco specials, same thing, though often times there are no instructions, so I just do a one piece.

My own racquets are old and out of warranty years ago, so I just do one piece. However, they all are top down even though 1 piece.

ten11
03-08-2012, 07:24 AM
Before I learn ATW when I just start to string, I did that all the time. Never had a problem with it. I also strung one half of the main and tied up, then do for the other half. I even did that to a Walmart racket and it did holds up. Clearly the racket is strong enough in my case.

Of course I do not do it now. I am more comfortable with stringing and try to follow all good practice.

Would be curious if anyone cracked a racket on stringing machine? Or directly related improper string job.

rich s
03-08-2012, 07:50 AM
I read somewhere that Wilson designs their racquets to withstand the added stress of stringing bottom up because they know people will do it....

however.... the couple times that I have strung my past wilson racquets bottom up, the string bed felt considerably different/stiffer than when I strung it top down....

additionally when you string top down you are applying stress from the top of the hoop to the bottom of the hoop which has the yoke to provide extra strength and stability

so for me ... it's top down....

Wikky
03-08-2012, 10:09 AM
I read somewhere that Wilson designs their racquets to withstand the added stress of stringing bottom up because they know people will do it....

however.... the couple times that I have strung my past wilson racquets bottom up, the string bed felt considerably different/stiffer than when I strung it top down....

additionally when you string top down you are applying stress from the top of the hoop to the bottom of the hoop which has the yoke to provide extra strength and stability

so for me ... it's top down....

Definitely sounds like a lot of people know stringing bottom up is supposed to be voodoo. And I actually heard that about Wilson racquets too. I guess back in the day before hybrid Jobs were popular two piecing a wilson racquet also voided the warranty.

I have actually seen a few players have strange cracks at the throats of the racquet that string bottom up but it could be a manufacturers defect.

jamauss
03-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Perhaps things have changed in recent years but I thought there were certain racket manufacturers that said stringing bottom up voided the warranty. Babolat was the only company that I can remember saying bottom up was fine for their racquets. I've just been in the habit of stringing top down on all frames because it's "OK" for every type of racquet.

Wikky
03-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Perhaps things have changed in recent years but I thought there were certain racket manufacturers that said stringing bottom up voided the warranty. Babolat was the only company that I can remember saying bottom up was fine for their racquets. I've just been in the habit of stringing top down on all frames because it's "OK" for every type of racquet.

I know that head is one company that said stringing bottom up definitely voided the warranty along with i think dunlop. I'm pretty sure this is why Head recommends that you almost always do 2 piece stringing. I found it interesting though that a lot of the new Speed pro 16x19s have mains that tie off on the top of the racquet making one piece a much more convenient option.

bbulla
03-08-2012, 12:05 PM
And I know somewhere in this forum I have read that Babolat now requires two piece, top down stringing.

Irvin
03-08-2012, 12:21 PM
And I know somewhere in this forum I have read that Babolat now requires two piece, top down stringing.

It is not required but recommended.

Bottom up depends on the racket. Some manufacturers allow it some don't. Most 16 main rackets skip 7&9 in the throat and most 18 main rackets skip 8&10. My preference is to string all rackets two piece but if asked to string a racket one piece I do.

If there are two main skipped on each side at the bottom I think it is fine as long as you do not use the short side to run the bottom cross. This makes the long side span a longer section of the racket to get to the bottom cross. If you use the short side to run in the bottom cross then your long side only span a short distance and puts more stress on a weak area of the racket which I do not think it good. Nothing to back that up though just an idea.

fortun8son
03-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Babolat and Wilson both allow bottom-up, however USRSA says that when given the choice, go top-down.

Wikky
03-08-2012, 01:42 PM
If there are two main skipped on each side at the bottom I think it is fine as long as you do not use the short side to run the bottom cross. This makes the long side span a longer section of the racket to get to the bottom cross. If you use the short side to run in the bottom cross then your long side only span a short distance and puts more stress on a weak area of the racket which I do not think it good. Nothing to back that up though just an idea.

Thats an interesting thought, I've never heard of someone stringing a racquet this way. Whats your opinion on doing an ATW pattern where you string the bottom cross with the short side and leave the last main open on the longside so that you don't have to skip the top cross on a 16x19 pattern? I've done this before as an experiment so i don't have to do a hard weave on the top cross but I still have to weave up a main on the side. Do you think stringing that bottom cross first could be putting to much stress on the frame if you still go top down afterwords?

Irvin
03-09-2012, 02:26 AM
^^I do the same pattern but I string that outside main first and tension it last. With any ATW patterm sooner or later you are going to have a short span from a main to a cross such as grommet 9 to 10. For that single reason I don't like them but I don't know that it is truly bad.

My preference is two piece crosses strung top down.

Wikky
03-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the input Irvin I never though of trying my ATW pattern that way. By The way I watched some of your videos and i noticed that you Pull your first few main strings over the throat instead of under it. This is another thing I've heard stringers argue about and I wanted to get your opinion on what puts more stress on the frame, or does it possibly depend on what stringing machine you are using?

Irvin
03-09-2012, 12:51 PM
My Wise has a two inch riser and raises it up the the level of the string bed. Most stringers have the tension head below the level of the string bed to allow for 360 rotation. If my tension head were below the racket I would pull under. Also the Gamma has K supports on the outside so the bottom of the racket rests on a flat portion of the support where the top of the racket rests on a angled support. I would rather pull down on the flat section than up on the angled portion.

fortun8son
03-09-2012, 05:51 PM
The Neos that I use has a higher tension head, so I pull over the yoke. My Eagnas is lower (full rotation) so I pull under the yoke with that.