PDA

View Full Version : Rafa's title drought

sbengte
03-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Rafael Nadal, the world no.2 player, has not won a title since Roland Garros 2011.

The rest of the top 4 have all won a Masters 1000 at the minimum since then, besides other titles. In fact all of the current top 10 including Mardy Fish, Delpotro and Tipsarevic have won at least one title during this period.

Rafa did have a long title drought in 2009 extending to 2010 but apparently he was out with his knee injury back then and took a while to come back and have his confidence restored. What is strange about the current title drought is that he has not been injured in any form and has played a full schedule and yet come up short.

Some people say that Rafa traditionally has never won too many titles post USO but we are talking about 9 months spanning from Roland Garros 2011 to Australian Open 2012 and beyond . Any justification of the above kind for a healthy Rafa in his prime not winning a title will only reinforce the fact that he can only win on clay.

So when do you think Rafa will end his title drought ? Discuss.

EDIT : I wanted to add a poll option "Never" for Clarky but this is supposed to be a thread for some serious discussion.

Clarky21
03-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Never? Lol. Really,he is stuck in a huge rut. I honestly don't know when this title drought will end,or why his career is plagued by long stretches of horrible tennis and no titles. As a fan it is maddening because there is no reason why someone as highly ranked as Nadal should ever go this long without winning something. Anyway,at this point it looks like there is no end in sight to his latest dought so who knows if and when he will ever win another title.

And we all know Nadal is a dirtballer,who is half*ssed on other surfaces. No need to rub it in. He is also not in his prime no matter how many times certain people insist that he is.

Sentinel
03-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Whenever someone takes out Mole, or whenever Mole decides to stop spamming the tennis world.

oh wait, you wanted a serious discussion. In any case, he shouldn't feel alone what with Muzza and Fred (in case you mean slams).

EDIT : I wanted to add a poll option "Never" for Clarky but this is supposed to be a thread for some serious discussion.
Gold !!!

Clarky21
03-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Whenever someone takes out Mole, or whenever Mole decides to stop spamming the tennis world.

oh wait, you wanted a serious discussion. In any case, he shouldn't feel alone what with Muzza and Fred (in case you mean slams).

Gold !!!

Platinum !!!

Big_Dangerous
03-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Never? Lol. Really,he is stuck in a huge rut. I honestly don't know when this title drought will end,or why his career is plagued by long stretches of horrible tennis and no titles. As a fan it is maddening because there is no reason why someone as highly ranked as Nadal should ever go this long without winning something. Anyway,at this point it looks like there is no end in sight to his latest dought so who knows if and when he will ever win another title.

And we all know Nadal is a dirtballer,who is half*ssed on other surfaces. No need to rub it in. He is also not in his prime no matter how many times certain people insist that he is.

Horrible tennis is reaching the final of 4 straight Grand Slams, and winning one of those events?

namelessone
03-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Rafael Nadal, the world no.2 player, has not won a title since Roland Garros 2011.

The rest of the top 4 have all won a Masters 1000 at the minimum since then, besides other titles. In fact all of the current top 10 including Mardy Fish, Delpotro and Tipsarevic have won at least one title during this period.

Rafa did have a long title drought in 2009 extending to 2010 but apparently he was out with his knee injury back then and took a while to come back and have his confidence restored. What is strange about the current title drought is that he has not been injured in any form and has played a full schedule and yet come up short.

Some people say that Rafa traditionally has never won too many titles post USO but we are talking about 9 months spanning from Roland Garros 2011 to Australian Open 2012 and beyond . Any justification of the above kind for a healthy Rafa in his prime not winning a title will only reinforce the fact that he can only win on clay.

So when do you think Rafa will end his title drought ? Discuss.

Didn't Nadal have something like 11 months of drought in 2009-2010 period?

Nadal is a guy that runs on confidence more than others. When he clicks, it really clicks and he may go on to win a couple in a row(usually clay-grass season). If it doesn't, he stays in a rut(usually HC season).

His drought will probably end in the clay season.

I have my doubts about winning IW after a month of no actual matchplay and Miami is simply cursed for Nadal(lost all 3 finals there, one after being 2 sets up), so I doubt he wins there this year.

Anyway, Nadal doesn't do himself any favors, he could've entered some average clay 250/500 tourney and clean up there but I guess it's not worth the hassle for him. Either win big or don't win at all seems to be his motto these days.

Clarky21
03-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Horrible tennis is reaching the final of 4 straight Grand Slams, and winning one of those events?

Here we go again. He played like crap in all of those slams,and hasn't played all that great in more than a year. Nadal won RG last year because Roger won it for him otherwise he would not have. He played badly all the way through that slam. He also hasn't had a bh or a serve in in nearly 2 years. I do not care how many finals he has made in a row. His tennis was subpar regardless. Thankfully,the finals streak is over so he doesn't have to lose yet another time to Djesus. That's the plus side to Fed,Delpo,Murray and several others actually playing well his year opposed to last year. They will stop the insanity of Nadal reaching all of those finals only to lose each and every one.

Now I will wait for the insults and supposed witty putdowns by the usual suspects,even though I am not the only one who shares this opinion. I've got my :lol: waiting on standby for the inevitable.

tenniselbow1
03-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Clay swing on the Champions tour.

FlashFlare11
03-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Here we go again. He played like crap in all of those slams,and hasn't played all that great in more than a year. Nadal won RG last year because Roger won it for him otherwise he would not have. He played badly all the way through that slam. He also hasn't had a bh or a serve in in nearly 2 years. I do not care how many finals he has made in a row. His tennis was subpar regardless. Thankfully,the finals streak is over so he doesn't have to lose yet another time to Djesus. That's the plus side to Fed,Delpo,Murray and several others actually playing well his year opposed to last year. They will stop the insanity of Nadal reaching all of those finals only to lose each and every one.

Now I will wait for the insults and supposed witty putdowns by the usual suspects,even though I am not the only one who shares this opinion. I've got my :lol: waiting on standby for the inevitable.

Well, he still made the AO final over Federer. So far, so good, I guess.

Big_Dangerous
03-08-2012, 09:51 PM

Last I checked, he made the final of the 2011 French Open, 2011 Wimbledon, 2011 U.S. Open, and the 2012 Australian Open. The streak cannot be broken until Roland Garros, and good luck on him not at least reaching the final there, especially if he gets Fed in his half of the draw again.

Clarky21
03-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Last I checked, he made the final of the 2011 French Open, 2011 Wimbledon, 2011 U.S. Open, and the 2012 Australian Open. The streak cannot be broken until Roland Garros, and good luck on him not at least reaching the final there, especially if he gets Fed in his half of the draw again.

No,I meant he won't be making the final at IW or Miami so he can't lose yet two more finals to Djesus. He will have to wait until MC to lose his 8th final in a row to him,should he get there.

Sentinel
03-08-2012, 09:57 PM
What do you mean by the "finals streak is over". Has he not reached the final of a Major or Masters since AO ?

In any case, Nadal has been resting this month, so we'll have to assess him in April before we decide how he's playing this year.

TheFifthSet
03-08-2012, 09:58 PM

Rafa played some wonderful tennis at Wimbledon of last year and Oz of this year. I don't know what events you were watching :s

Clarky21
03-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Rafa played some wonderful tennis at Wimbledon of last year and Oz of this year. I don't know what events you were watching :s

He was good in parts of the Delpo match but other than that I saw nothing spectacular from him.

OddJack
03-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Remember in 2010 when he bagled everyone and cried on court when he won the title? He looked like the guy with a chip on his shoulders. Angry, as if someone had stolen his birth-given rights.

He's gonna look like the same.

TheFifthSet
03-08-2012, 10:22 PM
He was good in parts of the Delpo match but other than that I saw nothing spectacular from him.

He was serene in this years Open, beating Federer with sublime defense and good serving. At Wimby he was solid versus Murray and served great against Novak but got out-classed (nothing you can do really, he served at over 70% but Djokovic just couldn't miss on the big points, 5/6 break point conversion). In the past 4 slams he's beaten Murray three times and Federer twice. To say he hasn't played well is, quite frankly, a bit delusional.

Clarky21
03-08-2012, 10:36 PM
He was serene in this years Open, beating Federer with sublime defense and good serving. At Wimby he was solid versus Murray and served great against Novak but got out-classed (nothing you can do really, he served at over 70% but Djokovic just couldn't miss on the big points, 5/6 break point conversion). In the past 4 slams he's beaten Murray three times and Federer twice. To say he hasn't played well is, quite frankly, a bit delusional.

Nope. He was subpar all of last year as was most of the top 10. Murray was a mess this time last year and so was Fed. Nadal really had no business making all of those finals,but since his garbage tennis was slightly better than several other players garbage tennis last year he did. That won't happen this year,so now Djesus will hopefully have to earn his titles instead of having Nadal just hand them to him.

Mike Sams
03-08-2012, 11:31 PM
I thought for sure Nadal would grab a title in Japan near the end of last year. He was just unfortunate to meet God-mode Murray who allowed Nadal only to win 4 points in the 3rd set of the final!!!:shock:

monfed
03-08-2012, 11:38 PM

Hopefully this.

The curse of Monte Carlo still exists though.

DeShaun
03-08-2012, 11:39 PM

Just because he is losing does not mean he is not playing the best tennis of his life, unless "prime" is defined in essence as having the highest winning percentage he is capable of, but only half of winning and losing is within his control, the other half belongs to his opponents, one of whom happens not to be bothered by Rafa in the way Rafa bothers everyone else, just like Federer owned the field for so many years better than Rafa while Rafa singularly owned him. But I agree that Rafa is not in his prime because so much of his aura of impossible-to-counter-aggression was only a potemkin village predicated on safety, stamina and defense, which is clear to everyone now that Novak has stripped Rafa naked by playing better defense longer, having superior stamina, and hitting with nearly as much safety (though taking from the backcourt many more manly swings per match at the ball, unlike Rafa).

TheFifthSet
03-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Nope. He was subpar all of last year as was most of the top 10. Murray was a mess this time last year and so was Fed. Nadal really had no business making all of those finals,but since his garbage tennis was slightly better than several other players garbage tennis last year he did. That won't happen this year,so now Djesus will hopefully have to earn his titles instead of having Nadal just hand them to him.

You're just using conjecture instead of evidence. To reiterate, the man beat Federer and Murray FIVE times in FOUR slams. He couldn't have been playing that badly, or anything less than at least "good." And he was six points away from beating Novak. Nadal has been playing some of the best tennis in his life to reach these finals. It's just that Novak has had the answer. Nadal has beaten Soderling, Federer twice, Murray three times, Berdych once, Del Potro once, Fish once, and broke Roddick (post-prime Roddick but still) like 8 times at the U.S Open last year en route to beating him handily. Look at the list of players he's beaten in the past 4 slams. I'd venture to say Nadal has never beat so many great players in such a short span of slams. None of them even took him to 5 sets. All of those players he beat pretty handily almost each time. He's been LIGHTS OUT against the top 10 in slams, he just hasn't been able to beat ONE GUY. Sound familiar?

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-09-2012, 12:59 AM

Djokovic isn't even good enough to win a set vs Murray at Dubai. Everybody is subpar this year. So whoever wins this year is playing garbage tennis. So it doesn't matter who wins.

vive le beau jeu !
03-09-2012, 02:00 AM
snif... i wanted the never option too. :(
and if you really want a serious discussion, you've got to consider all the possibilities, including the most wonderful ones.
can't vote...
fine with me. :)
don't win at all seems to be his motto these days.
fine too. ;)

niff
03-09-2012, 02:04 AM
He was so close to Miami last year, but he has won IW twice (?) so it could be either of them. I think he'll definitely win one of the clay masters though.

Colin
03-09-2012, 02:39 AM
I think Rafa's drought will come to an end, perhaps ironically, in the dustbowl of the clay season at Monte Carlo or Barcelona, mainly because Djokovic will have the good sense to abstain.

But should he not win a clay title this year, I fear the drought will last longer than the dirt-choked travails of "The Grapes of Wrath." Speaking of grapes, should Rafa find himself thirsty in the drought, perhaps he should look to a good rioja. Line those wine goblets up, Rafa, seven-strong — one glass for each final lost in succession. (Lord knows I needed a 1.5-liter bottle of shiraz — Australian, of course — to get through that latest six-hour affair.)

sbengte
03-09-2012, 02:42 AM
But should he not win a clay title this year, I fear the drought will last longer than the dirt-choked travails of "The Grapes of Wrath." Speaking of grapes, should Rafa find himself thirsty in the drought, perhaps he should look to a good rioja. Line those wine goblets up, Rafa, seven-strong — one glass for each final lost in succession. (Lord knows I needed a 1.5-liter bottle of shiraz — Australian, of course — to get through that latest six-hour affair.)

Reminds me Nadal poetry hasn't been done in a while.

Colin
03-09-2012, 02:57 AM
Reminds me Nadal poetry hasn't been done in a while.

Hmmm, here's hoping that the IW-Miami swing inspires a new round of inspired verse. :twisted:

But, to occupy your wait, let us look to the great Thomas Hardy, who seemed to adumbrate a world of mysterious MTOs and faintly intimated post-defeat news-conference maladies with a century of foresight ...

THE WOUND

I climbed to the crest,
And, fog-festooned,
The sun lay west
Like a crimson wound:

Like that wound of mine
Of which none knew,
For I’d given no sign
That it pierced me through.

Slice&Smash
03-09-2012, 03:02 AM
Hopefully this.

The curse of Monte Carlo still exists though.

What's that? He who wins seven straight MC events will forever live in the dirt with his 10 GS titles??

monfed
03-09-2012, 03:08 AM
What's that? He who wins seven straight MC events will forever live in the dirt with his 10 GS titles??

Yes. :twisted:

SLD76
03-09-2012, 03:39 AM
Didn't Nadal have something like 11 months of drought in 2009-2010 period?

Nadal is a guy that runs on confidence more than others. When he clicks, it really clicks and he may go on to win a couple in a row(usually clay-grass season). If it doesn't, he stays in a rut(usually HC season).

His drought will probably end in the clay season.

I have my doubts about winning IW after a month of no actual matchplay and Miami is simply cursed for Nadal(lost all 3 finals there, one after being 2 sets up), so I doubt he wins there this year.

Anyway, Nadal doesn't do himself any favors, he could've entered some average clay 250/500 tourney and clean up there but I guess it's not worth the hassle for him. Either win big or don't win at all seems to be his motto these days.

OP already said that injury was the driving force behind that title drought. what is the excuse now, besides djoker?

His usual post USO malaise?
florian mayer?
looking like garbage at WTF?

I think the second bolded answers the question.

He looked like garbage after USO....til Davis Cup..on clay.

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-09-2012, 03:41 AM
I think Rafa's drought will come to an end, perhaps ironically, in the dustbowl of the clay season at Monte Carlo or Barcelona, mainly because Djokovic will have the good sense to abstain.

Ironically? More like fittingly. Clay is the surface Nadal has won more titles on than any other surface. It isn't a surprise that he hasn't won a title since Roland Garros. It also isn't a bad thing, considering that last year Nadal beat Murray at 3 consecutive slams. And he beat Federer at RG last year and AO 2012. That is more important than winning an event like Dubai. Nadal's first aim should be to maintain dominance over Federer. Nadal's 2nd aim is to maintain dominance over Murray. Because if he can't beat those guys, then he won't even get to play Djokovic, let alone beat him.

SLD76
03-09-2012, 03:43 AM
Ironically? More like fittingly. Clay is the surface Nadal has won more titles on than any other surface. It isn't a surprise that he hasn't won a title since Roland Garros. It also isn't a bad thing, considering that last year Nadal beat Murray at 3 consecutive slams. And he beat Federer at RG last year and AO 2012. That is more important than winning an event like Dubai. Nadal's first aim should be to maintain dominance over Federer. Nadal's 2nd aim is to maintain dominance over Murray. Because if he can't beat those guys, then he won't even get to play Djokovic, let alone beat him.

So you agree, he is a clay court specialist?

ROFL@second bolded. So losing a slam final is better than winning an event?

Okie :)

Thats cool, while Nadal is maintaining his dominance over Fed I assume he will
still be getting owned by Djoker.

Colin
03-09-2012, 03:55 AM
Ironically? More like fittingly. Clay is the surface Nadal has won more titles on than any other surface.

Oh, dear. I should have guessed you're not the literary sort.

I meant ironic in the sense of a drought (you know, the kind defined by a lack of water) being broken at a dusty, dirty clay-court event.... as opposed to a luscious, water-fed grass court.

On the most literal level, yes, we all know it's no surprise Nadal could win a clay-court event. It's the only thing he's won in a year and a half. If he comes up empty there, he might as well join Ljubicic and Gonzales.

SLD76
03-09-2012, 04:00 AM

I meant ironic in the sense of a drought (you know, the kind defined by a lack of water) being broken at a dusty, dirty clay-court event.... as opposed to a luscious, water-fed grass court.

On the most literal level, yes, we all know it's no surprise Nadal could win a clay-court event. It's the only thing he's won in a year and a half. If he comes up empty there, he might as well join Ljubicic and Gonzales.

I like your style, sir.

Subtlety doesnt work on *********. His brain only has room for Rafa.

Colin
03-09-2012, 04:08 AM
I like your style, sir.

Subtlety doesnt work on *********. His brain only has room for Rafa.

Hmmm, well Rafa moves very slowly, so I shouldn't expect different from his fans. I'm sure he'll assess the subtleties tomorrow, and show the proper appreciation. Just like Rafa must humbly concede that Fed is the greatest of all time, the Nadal fan must in kind note the natural superiority of the Maestro's legions. Arrogance? Hmmm, I'll take the Fifth! (Especially if it's filled with 40 proof spirits.)

celoft
03-09-2012, 04:12 AM
Nole is playing MC, right? :lol:

Title drought ends in Barcelona, maybe.

SLD76
Hmmm, well Rafa moves very slowly, so I shouldn't expect different from his fans. I'm sure he'll assess the subtleties tomorrow, and show the proper appreciation. Just like Rafa must humbly concede that Fed is the greatest of all time, the Nadal fan must in kind note the natural superiority of the Maestro's legions. Arrogance? Hmmm, I'll take the Fifth! (Especially if it's filled with 40 proof spirits.)

....between points that is.

Just clarifying it for you before the ********s descend en masse to patiently explain how Rafa is the fastesest playa evar.

Gorecki

wise man. magnum always develops better...

celoft
03-09-2012, 04:14 AM
Check this out:

Nobody won the same tournament 8 years in a row.

Claydal will not win MC. :lol:

SLD76
03-09-2012, 04:17 AM
Check this out:

Nobody won the same tournament 8 years in a row.

Claydal will not win MC. :lol:

well, I think that became apparent once Djoker decided to play there.

celoft
03-09-2012, 04:19 AM
Stats:

No player ever won the same tournament for eight years in a row.

The most was seven years in a row done by:

Sears(US Championship)

Gonzales(U.S. Pro Tennis Championships)

Rosewall(French Pro Championship)

Nadal(Monte Carlo)

Djokovic playing Monte Carlo guarantees this will continue.

;-)

laughingbuddha
03-09-2012, 04:24 AM
Where is option never?

Colin
03-09-2012, 04:24 AM
wise man. magnum always develops better...

I'm not too proud to admit I've procured on occasion an outsized, lowly priced bottle of "paisano" wine.

....between points that is.

Just clarifying it for you before the ********s descend en masse to patiently explain how Rafa is the fastesest playa evar.

Yes, thank you.

Whenever I watch Rafa play, I'm reminded of that scene in one of the newer "Star Wars" films (the second one, I think) in which Yoda does battle. In the heat of combat, he's impossibly swift and merciless, in the aftermath an old man reduced to hobbling about on a cane.

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-09-2012, 04:33 AM

You sure now how to waste words. You search for literary irony on a tennis messageboard? I can understand why someone would point out something ironic within the actual tennis world. But irony on a literary level entirely? Very strange....

SLD76
03-09-2012, 04:36 AM
You sure now how to waste words. You search for literary irony on a tennis messageboard? I can understand why someone would point out something ironic within the actual tennis world. But irony on a literary level entirely? Very strange....

Only to you, those of us who can think of other things besides Rafa understood what he was trying to say.

You sure now how to waste words.

ROFLMAO! Whoooooo lord, the irony.

dudeski
03-09-2012, 04:42 AM

Obvious troll is being obvious. Everyone with half a brain knows that as soon as clay comes around Nadal will be winning titles and you will be looking as stupid as ever.

Colin
03-09-2012, 04:42 AM

Perhaps it was an elitist notion, but I always thought people who liked tennis were more intelligent and well-read than those who are into other sports such as football, baseball, basketball (pretty much any sport wherein the notion of play with a ball must be reiterated through the name).

Thank you for proving that stereotypes aren't always true.

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-09-2012, 04:46 AM
Perhaps it was an elitist notion, but I always thought people who liked tennis were more intelligent and well-read than those who are into other sports such as football, baseball, basketball (pretty much any sport wherein the notion of play with a ball must be reiterated through the name).

Thank you for proving that stereotypes aren't always true.

You've just confirmed it. You are a frustrated writer, with no knowledge of tennis, so you litter this board with verbose misplaced and above all meaningless mumblings. To the ignore bin you go, try-hard elitist.

SLD76
03-09-2012, 04:48 AM
You've just confirmed it. You are a frustrated writer, with no knowledge of tennis, so you litter this board with verbose misplaced and above all meaningless mumblings. To the ignore bin you go, try-hard elitist.

Boy, you posted the same thing on two diff threads now...Colin's mastery of the english language has just undone you.

Btw...nice alliteration in that second to last sentence.

Colin
03-09-2012, 04:52 AM

Very good. I don't wish to engage in a war of words with you. It would be an unfair fight.

I'll wait for Bullz1lla3.0. A 2.1 upgrade isn't going to do it at this point, I'm afraid.

(The funny part, SLD, is that I think that he truly hates us, or else shows a vivid distaste. I, on the other hand, appreciate anyone passionate enough about tennis that he or she will post on a message board, whatever the contents of said posts.)

SLD76
03-09-2012, 05:04 AM
Very good. I don't wish to engage in a war of words with you. It would be an unfair fight.

I'll wait for Bullz1lla3.0. A 2.1 upgrade isn't going to do it at this point, I'm afraid.

(The funny part, SLD, is that I think that he truly hates us, or else shows a vivid distaste. I, on the other hand, appreciate anyone passionate enough about tennis that he or she will post on a message board, whatever the contents of said posts.)

@bolded part...ROFL!

we must be very special to him as he took the time to change his sig to let us know he is taking his ball and going home, rofl.

Gorecki
03-09-2012, 05:19 AM
I'm not too proud to admit I've procured on occasion an outsized, lowly priced bottle of "paisano" wine.

no "Barca Velha" for you then hey?

Colin
03-09-2012, 05:27 AM
no "Barca Velha" for you then hey?

I haven't had that one. Do you recommend?

(Lately I've been getting the cheap cabernet at Whole Foods for $2.99; I feel like I need to try some new ones, provided they're not too pricey.)

SLD76
03-09-2012, 05:29 AM

(Lately I've been getting the cheap cabernet at Whole Foods for $2.99; I feel like I need to try some new ones, provided they're not too pricey.)

We have the Barefoot label in my neck of the woods. Their pinot noir is not bad.

But what I cant understand is why I cant find a bottle of burgundy for love or money?

Gorecki
03-09-2012, 05:32 AM

Barca velha is one of the most expsnive current wines in the world. most recent batches reach for 200€ for club members... 1996 in the link below goes for 300+

https://www.garrafeiranacional.com/vinho-do-douro/barca-velha-1966-tinto/ms_prod_pt_404/

but i only once in my life tried that wine!

my producer of choice is Ramos Pinto.
http://www.ramospinto.pt/default.aspx

DjokovicForTheWin
03-09-2012, 05:32 AM
Why do you people keep engaging Dorky21? She's just a completely clueless troll. Probably never played tennis in her whole life.

MichaelNadal
03-09-2012, 05:42 AM
Stats:

No player ever won the same tournament for eight years in a row.

The most was seven years in a row done by:

Sears(US Championship)

Gonzales(U.S. Pro Tennis Championships)

Rosewall(French Pro Championship)

Nadal(Monte Carlo)

Djokovic playing Monte Carlo guarantees this will continue.

;-)

Nadal is the favorite over anyone on those courts, even Novak. I look forward to them meeting there personally.

Colin
03-09-2012, 05:42 AM
We have the Barefoot label in my neck of the woods. Their pinot noir is not bad.

But what I cant understand is why I cant find a bottle of burgundy for love or money?

I'm in Portland; we have lots of pinot noir out here. But I actually prefer wines from Italy and Australia to the West Coast wines. I don't think I've had burgundy in a while, though.

Gorecki: That's a bit too pricey for me. The most expensive alcohol I ever bought was a bottle of Mandarine Napoleon for $48. I actually even replaced the bottle with another. It's a Belgian liqueur, similar to Grand Marnier (inspired by Napoleon's love of eating tangerine peels soaked in cognac). And it's worth every penny.

I'm going to have a shot of it the next final Fed makes!

Gorecki
03-09-2012, 06:12 AM

Gorecki: That's a bit too pricey for me. The most expensive alcohol I ever bought was a bottle of Mandarine Napoleon for $48. I actually even replaced the bottle with another. It's a Belgian liqueur, similar to Grand Marnier (inspired by Napoleon's love of eating tangerine peels soaked in cognac). And it's worth every penny.

I'm going to have a shot of it the next final Fed makes!

me too. that is way out of my league. but the ramos pinto wines in the second post range from as low as 3€ for really good single grape by that maker!

Clarky21
03-09-2012, 06:28 AM
Nadal is the favorite over anyone on those courts, even Novak. I look forward to them meeting there personally.

No way. Djesus will mop up on those slow mud courts. Noone is beatiing him there,much less his bunny Nadal.

monfed
03-09-2012, 06:29 AM
No way. Djesus will mop up on those slow mud courts. Noone is beatiing him there,much less his bunny Nadal.

I hope for once you're ACTUALLY right. :)

Evan77
03-09-2012, 06:36 AM
oh Clarky, as much as we like different players you bring smile on my face with your funny posts ... the whole Djesus thing it's just too funny.

cknobman
03-09-2012, 07:53 AM
Nole said this: "I am not ready to let Nadal win another title yet, so I think until I feel that he has learned his lesson then I will back off and let him win one. But when I do it will be at a smaller 500 event like Queens maybe."

So that makes it pretty clear when Nadals title drought will end. When Nole decides it will.

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-09-2012, 08:06 AM
Nole said this: "I am not ready to let Nadal win another title yet, so I think until I feel that he has learned his lesson then I will back off and let him win one. But when I do it will be at a smaller 500 event like Queens maybe."

So that makes it pretty clear when Nadals title drought will end. When Nole decides it will.

Why would Djokovic be focusing on Nadal? Murray just beat Djokovic in straight sets. Djokovic won't even get to play Nadal in future if he can't control Murray. That is the long-term advantage Nadal has, he beat Murray in all 3 of their slam meetings last year, and hasn't lost to Federer in a slam since 2007. Djokovic needs to have the same dominance over FedMurray if he's going to keep racking up slams. Nadal has already proven he has those guys numbers at the the slams.

DjokovicForTheWin
03-09-2012, 08:16 AM
Why would Djokovic be focusing on Nadal? Murray just beat Djokovic in straight sets. Djokovic won't even get to play Nadal in future if he can't control Murray. That is the long-term advantage Nadal has, he beat Murray in all 3 of their slam meetings last year, and hasn't lost to Federer in a slam since 2007. Djokovic needs to have the same dominance over FedMurray if he's going to keep racking up slams. Nadal has already proven he has those guys numbers at the the slams.

But doesn't Djokovic have Nadal's number at the slams?

sbengte
03-09-2012, 08:16 AM
Murray just beat Djokovic in straight sets. Djokovic won't even get to play Nadal in future if he can't control Murray. That is the long-term advantage Nadal has, he beat Murray in all 3 of their slam meetings last year and hasn't lost to Federer in a slam since 2007. Djokovic needs to have the same dominance over FedMurray if he's going to keep racking up slams. Nadal has already proven he has those guys numbers at the the slams.

The last time Murray met Nadal, Nadal was bagelled. And this was the pre-Lendl version of Murray. It will be very interesting to see their meetings this year (Unless Fed-Nadal in the same half is going to be all the rage in the draws now after years of Fed-Djoker in the same half). Anyway, they can still meet in the finals and I hope they do in the IW final.

Interestingly, Murray happens to be the only player who has taken out Nadal more than once at slams apart from Djoker, Fed and Ferrer (anyone else ?).

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-09-2012, 08:19 AM
The last time Murray met Nadal, Nadal was bagelled. And this was the pre-Lendl version of Murray. It will be very interesting to see their meetings this year (Unless Fed-Nadal in the same half is going to be all the rage in the draws now after years of Fed-Djoker in the same half). Anyway, they can still meet in the finals and I hope they do in the IW final.

Interestingly, Murray happens to be the only player who has taken out Nadal more than once at slams apart from Djoker, Fed and Ferrer (anyone else ?).

And last year, Djokovic was bagelled in the final set too, by Nishikori. Want to write a paragraph on that? Neither of the top dogs won anything after the US Open, except for Nadal's Davis Cup.

The key, as my previous post referred to, is SLAMS. Anything can happen outside of slams. The only time Murray beat Nadal in slams was in 2010 on Nadal's worst slam surface - the Australian Open - and back in 2008 at the US Open after Nadal had won Roland Garros, Wimbledon, and the exhausting Olympic Gold. Nadal has rectified that by beating Murray at the US Open last year. Nadal has beaten Murray at all 4 slams actually (including the Australian Open back in 2007). And Nadal leads Federer 8-2 at the slams, with the only losses coming in Nadal's early Wimbledon years. Nadal vs Djokovic means nothing if one or the other isn't good enough to reach the final of slams. Murray and Federer are the key.

sbengte
03-09-2012, 08:27 AM
And last year, Djokovic was bagelled in the final set too, by Nishikori. Want to write a paragraph on that?

I hear that Djoker was tired from winning 3 slams and 5 or so masters when that happened and had shoulder issues. Wonder what was Nadal's excuse :-?

Neither of the top dogs won anything after the US Open, except for Nadal's Davis Cup. The key, as my previous post referred to, is SLAMS. Anything can happen outside of slams.

To my knowledge, Djoker won a slam after the US open, just this Jan.
Nadal won the Davis cup on his own ? I looked up data on who had won titles since last year's US Open and I don't recall Nadal's name mentioned there against Davis Cup.

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-09-2012, 08:38 AM
I hear that Djoker was tired from winning 3 slams and 5 or so masters when that happened and had shoulder issues. Wonder what was Nadal's excuse :-?

To my knowledge, Djoker won a slam after the US open, just this Jan.
Nadal won the Davis cup on his own ? I looked up data on who had won titles since last year's US Open and I don't recall Nadal's name mentioned there against Davis Cup.

Well, Nadal was in 10 finals in 2011. In fact he played more matches in 2011 than Djokovic.

Neither of the top dogs won anything after the US Open in 2011. Just pointing out that being bagelled by Murray/Nishikori was about right for both players.

joeri888
03-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Nadal has never dominated outside clay. He's just not playing well at the moment and best of 5 helps him more than best of three. Nadal just isn't that great on hardcourts to expect him to win titles on it all the time. Now instead of a dominant no. 1 he matches up great against he has a dominant no.1 he matches up terribly against.

He'll win some titles in the coming months no doubt.

christinamaniac7
03-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Well rafa didn't win a title from stuttgart 2007 through MC 2008 IIRC, but he came back stronger than before and made a historic '08 season... He also didn't win a title from Rome 2009 till MC '10!!

He's kind of used to this type of droughts and there's no need to be worried cause he's good enough to bounce back even stronger than ever...

Clarky21
03-09-2012, 10:05 AM
I hope for once you're ACTUALLY right. :)

Don't worry my dearest Monfed. I will be.

Clarky21
03-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Well rafa didn't win a title from stuttgart 2007 through MC 2008 IIRC, but he came back stronger than before and made a historic '08 season... He also didn't win a title from Rome 2009 till MC '10!!

He's kind of used to this type of droughts and there's no need to be worried cause he's good enough to bounce back even stronger than ever...

Not with Djesus around,and everyone but Nadal improving by leaps and bounds. The is a drought that may never end.

christinamaniac7
03-09-2012, 10:26 AM
We all know that nole is going on a drop of form that he may never get back to his '11 self and then even a crippled rafa could beat him!!

Clarky21
03-09-2012, 10:35 AM
We all know that nole is going on a drop of form that he may never get back to his '11 self and then even a crippled rafa could beat him!!

Doesn't matter. Nadal can't beat him even when he is playing at 10%. I also think people are greatly exaggerating ****'s drop in form. He will be back to his 2011 best before you know it.

jackson vile
03-09-2012, 10:35 AM
It is all part of Nadal's peak plan, of losing everything you can. It is the reverse of Federer's decline plan, of wining everything you can.

Towser83
03-09-2012, 10:43 AM
No,I meant he won't be making the final at IW or Miami so he can't lose yet two more finals to Djesus. He will have to wait until MC to lose his 8th final in a row to him,should he get there.

Who is going to stop him reaching the final in IW? Murray is in the other half, Federer won't beat Nadal.

His next title is at the latest, Barcelona. Novak aint playing that so it's Nadal's like every year.

MixieP
03-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Nadal will win Bucharest, unless Florian MAYER decides to defend his title.

Hitman
03-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Nadal will be winning VERY soon! He is too good to be kept down all the time. And if the Joker falls, expect Nadal to pounce with new life.

Eternity
03-09-2012, 11:32 AM
I'm personally hoping to see some trophy biting in IW or Miami. I'll vote for Miami. Since Rafa has come so close there a couple of times it would be nice to see him finally win it.

TMF
03-09-2012, 11:40 AM
I'm personally hoping to see some trophy biting in IW or Miami. I'll vote for Miami. Since Rafa has come so close there a couple of times it would be nice to see him finally win it.

That's disgusting and unhealthy.

Evan77
03-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Bulz, let's be honest here. Kei is a great guy but do you really think he has any chance against Novak at any important tournament? don't think so. Novak simply didn't give a ***** about that tournament. he lost the last set 6:0, what a joke. no, as much as I like Kei he is not that good.

Nathaniel_Near
03-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Rafa is curiously inconsistent in comparison to other greats of the game when it comes to winning titles. He wins his in bunches, really...

http://tennis28.com/charts/Borg_Nadal_ATP_Titles.GIF

http://tennis28.com/charts/Federer_Nadal_ATP_Titles.GIF

http://tennis28.com/charts/Sampras_Federer_ATP_Titles.GIF

Clarky21
03-09-2012, 01:01 PM
That's disgusting and unhealthy.

So is kissing trophies like the guy in your avatar is doing. It's transferring germs either way.

celoft
03-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Rafa is curiously inconsistent in comparison to other greats of the game when it comes to winning titles. He wins his in bunches, really...

http://tennis28.com/charts/Borg_Nadal_ATP_Titles.GIF

http://tennis28.com/charts/Federer_Nadal_ATP_Titles.GIF

http://tennis28.com/charts/Sampras_Federer_ATP_Titles.GIF

Nadal is a streaky/momentum/confidence player which is why I find it hilarious that some people think he can win Wimbledon AFTER losing at RG. http://www.mahjoob.com/en/forums/images/smilies/cuckoo.gif
Last time he lost in his backyard to Soderling he withdrew from Wimbledon. If he loses at RG this year, he will lose early at Wimbledon. Withdrawing again would look corny. :oops:

Gorecki
03-09-2012, 02:12 PM
they both should join the champions tours given how crippled you guys are portraying them!!!

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Bulz, let's be honest here. Kei is a great guy but do you really think he has any chance against Novak at any important tournament? don't think so. Novak simply didn't give a ***** about that tournament. he lost the last set 6:0, what a joke. no, as much as I like Kei he is not that good.

That is why I mentioned Kei's 6-0 over Djokovic. His 6-0 and Murray's 6-0 means nothing in term of the future, unlike what the other poster said.

Sentinel
03-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Nadal will win Bucharest, unless Florian MAYER decides to defend his title.
I really hope Raphla doesn't reach any more finals. I can't bear to see him losing to Mole any more.

tusharlovesrafa
03-09-2012, 07:38 PM
I really hope Raphla doesn't reach any more finals. I can't bear to see him losing to Mole any more.

GOOd observation..We fed fan wants rafa to reach as many finals as possible,so that he could get his *** kicked by the hole gain and gain..:)

Tony48
03-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Djokovic isn't even good enough to win a set vs Murray at Dubai. Everybody is subpar this year. So whoever wins this year is playing garbage tennis. So it doesn't matter who wins.

How tragic. I guess his win over Murray in Australia will have to do for now.

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-09-2012, 07:46 PM

Nadal has already gained by making the final of AO, because he was only defending a QF. Now if Nadal duplicates exactly what he did last year he keeps that gain. While Djokovic has to win 10 titles just to keep all his points. Nadal can get the number one ranking by making finals predominantly. While Djokovic has to figure out Murray on hardcourts (and Federer at RG).

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-09-2012, 07:48 PM

How tragic. I guess his win over Murray in Australia will have to do for now.

That was my Clarky21 imitation...

DjokovicForTheWin
03-09-2012, 07:57 PM
That was my Clarky21 imitation...

Is posting about Clarky21 really about tennis?

norbac
03-09-2012, 08:03 PM
He will win IW with Marc Lopez.

MichaelNadal
03-09-2012, 08:27 PM
^^He will win it in singles too :)

sbengte
03-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Murray's 6-0 means nothing in term of the future, unlike what the other poster said.

Nadal has beaten Murray at all 4 slams actually (including the Australian Open back in 2007).

Correct. Past victories don't mean anything in terms of what can happen in future. Why, all of Nadal's victories over Djoker in the slams for the past several years counted for nothing in 2011.

sbengte
03-16-2012, 03:30 AM
Bump.
I can see the drought ending right here in IW.
Assuming Fed takes out Delpo, Nadal has a dream draw all the way to the finals without having to face a single player who poses any kind of threat.He looks fresh and confident enough to take out Djoker should they meet in the final.

nadalwon2012
03-16-2012, 05:46 AM
Bump.
Assuming Fed takes out Delpo, Nadal has a dream draw all the way to the finals without having to face a single player who poses any kind of threat.He looks fresh and confident enough to take out Djoker should they meet in the final.

It would be funny if Nadal beat Djokovic this week. Can you imagine the number of posts/threads that will be bumped :shock:

merlinpinpin
03-16-2012, 05:53 AM
It would be funny if Nadal beat Djokovic this week. Can you imagine the number of posts/threads that will be bumped :shock:

I think the interesting question is: will *more* or *less* threads be bumped should he lose to Djokovic again? ;)

nadalwon2012
03-16-2012, 05:55 AM
I think the interesting question is: will *more* or *less* threads be bumped should he lose to Djokovic again? ;)

No, because those same threads are already in full focus (including this thread). Talk Tennis is one big Nadal hate thread.

Gorecki
03-16-2012, 05:58 AM
No, because those same threads are already in full focus (including this thread). Talk Tennis is one big Nadal hate thread.

why dont you leave the forum then?

monfed
03-16-2012, 05:58 AM
Bump.

He was fresh and confident in AO too and we saw what happened there. :lol:

nadalwon2012
03-16-2012, 06:04 AM
why dont you leave the forum then?

Because Nadal will have won 2012, and I'll be one of the few proud posters at talk tennis. Leaving is what everybody else will want to do. Not me.

DjokovicForTheWin
03-16-2012, 06:24 AM
Isn't AO2012 part of 2012?

nadalwon2012
03-16-2012, 06:34 AM

Yes, and it was part of 2008 (Nadal lost in straight sets to Tsonga AO semi) and 2010 (Nadal lost to Murray straight sets AO quarter) too. Didn't hurt at all.

DjokovicForTheWin
03-16-2012, 06:40 AM
Yes, and it was part of 2008 (Nadal lost in straight sets to Tsonga AO semi) and 2010 (Nadal lost to Murray straight sets AO quarter) too. Didn't hurt at all.

How is AO2012 part of AO2008? Aren't they different years?

Tennis_Hands
03-16-2012, 06:41 AM
Because Nadal will have won 2012.....

I know, that you are trolling non-stop, but I will try anyway. Will you, please, name the most important tennis events, that Nadal should win, for you to consider him successful. Please, name only those events, that you CERTAINLY think that shoud be his, in order to have "won". Do not leave any "It would be good"s or hypoteticals. Only the MUST DOs. Thank you!

Sentinel
03-16-2012, 06:45 AM

How is AO2012 part of AO2008? Aren't they different years?
nadalwon2012 has all sorts of academic qualifications you wouldn't dream of. Reading his poasts have been an education for many.

nadalwon2012
03-16-2012, 06:46 AM
I know, that you are trolling non-stop, but I will try anyway. Will you, please, name the most important tennis events, that Nadal should win, for you to consider him successful. Please, name only those events, that you CERTAINLY think that shoud be his, in order to have "won". Do not leave any "It would be good"s or hypoteticals. Only the MUST DOs. Thank you!

Player of the Year for 2012 obviously (the award he won in 2008 and 2010). The events, could be anything.

Cup8489
03-16-2012, 06:51 AM
Player of the Year for 2012 obviously (the award he won in 2008 and 2010). The events, could be anything.

make a bet?

nadalwon2012
03-16-2012, 06:53 AM
make a bet?

I'll own the entire forum virtually. That's enough for me thanks. Plus financial bets are never honored online, so no point in that. My username is my bet.

Tennis_Hands
03-16-2012, 06:54 AM

HAHAHA. Are you afraid to make a statement? Let me repeat the question again - Which TENNIS EVENTS he should win, for you to have justified your username? I am calling you on that, because I notice, how you spin everything that happens in the tennis world to justify yet another compromised statement/position, that you have made/have.

joeri888
03-16-2012, 06:55 AM
I think Nadal will win Indian Wells, otherwise Miami or Monte Carlo. The way he's playing he's bound to win a title soon.

rommil
03-16-2012, 06:55 AM
I'll own the entire forum virtually. That's enough for me thanks. Plus financial bets are never honored online, so no point in that.

I agree with Nadalwont........he will make so many accounts he will fill the forum.

nadalwon2012
03-16-2012, 07:01 AM
HAHAHA. Are you afraid to make a statement? Let me repeat the question again - Which TENNIS EVENTS he should win, for you to have justified your username? I am calling you on that, because I notice, how you spin everything that happens in the tennis world to justify yet another compromised statement/position, that you have made/have.

No idea, we'll have to wait and see. I'll enjoy watching it unfold. Not sure if you will....

celoft
03-16-2012, 08:03 AM

If you believe Nadal's 2012 will be like his 2008 and 2010, you've got another thing coming. The year after 7 consecutive seasons winning slams, for Borg(1981- just 1 slam), Sampras(2000 - just 1 slam) and Federer(2010 - just 1 slam) was a subpar one.

Looking at history, 2012 is the year after 7 consecutive seasons winning slams for Nadal. Best case scenario for him would be winning 1 slam like Borg in 1981, Sampras in 2000 and Federer in 2010. And that's if he avoids his Serbian daddy at a slam.

nadalwon2012
03-16-2012, 10:46 AM
If you believe Nadal's 2012 will be like his 2008 and 2010, you've got another thing coming. The year after 7 consecutive seasons winning slams, for Borg(1981- just 1 slam), Sampras(2000 - just 1 slam) and Federer(2010 - just 1 slam) was a subpar one.

Looking at history, 2012 is the year after 7 consecutive seasons winning slams for Nadal. Best case scenario for him would be winning 1 slam like Borg in 1981, Sampras in 2000 and Federer in 2010. And that's if he avoids his Serbian daddy at a slam.

Best case scenario is 3 slams, duh.

rommil
03-16-2012, 11:05 AM
No idea, we'll have to wait and see. I'll enjoy watching it unfold. Not sure if you will....

Make another account( you know the drill) and name it Nadalwont2012, use it for now and go back to Nadalwon when he does.

nadalwon2012
03-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Make another account( you know the drill) and name it Nadalwont2012, use it for now and go back to Nadalwon when he does.

I don't even know how to make an account. I didn't even register my account.

mattennis
03-16-2012, 11:28 AM
For me it all depends on Djokovic.

If Djokovic stays healthy and fit, he wins everything. The guy is just that good.

Yesterday he was clearly not fit against Almagro, not trying hard in many moments, and in the moment he wanted, he beat him easily.

This year it seems Nole is not that fit (at least after Australian Open) and that is the opportunity for everyone else, specially for Nadal.

Nadal is good enough to beat just about everybody except for Nole. If Nole is not fit enough this year, obviously Nadal would be the first beneficiary.

I see Djokovic2.0 as good as Federer was in the years 2004, 2005 and 2006.

If Djokovic could stay totally fit all year long (as Federer did those years) I bet he could make two or three GREAT years (winning at least 3 GS per year as he did last year), because when totally fit he is clearly the best one right now.

But I think he is not going to make it, he won't be able to stay totally fit all year long for two or three more years as Roger did.

Djokovic seems to have some physical problems (respiratory problems) that affects him sooner or later.

I bet we'll get to know when he retires in the future and he releases it to the press (just like Sampras did in 2000 about his illness).

Without those problems, he could do what Federer did for those 3 years.

On the other hand, after all that has been said about Nadal's health problems, I don't see any problem at all in him. He is slower, yes, like everybody after 25, but he is naturally strong as a bull and I can perfectly see him in very good physical shape for another 3 years.

So he can be the first and most beneficiary of Nole's possible physical problems this season and the next ones.

merlinpinpin
03-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Too bad Sopot isn't part of the ATP calendar anymore--otherwise, it would have been the perfect place for a Nadal revival... ;)

Juan Ma Del Pony
03-16-2012, 11:36 AM
I think Nadal has a great shot at ending the drought in IW this year. He traditionally plays very, very well here and Djoker has struggled in this tournament. He does not look like the same Djoker that we saw in 2011. If Djoker gets upset by Izzy in the SF (a big if, I know), I think Rafa will win for sure. Even if it's a Rafole final, this court suits Rafa like no other hardcourt. We might just see a turnaround in the H2H here, which would be very interesting. It would certainly inject more enthusiasm into the clay season than another Djoker victory would.

nadalwon2012
03-16-2012, 11:38 AM
For me it all depends on Djokovic.

If Djokovic stays healthy and fit, he wins everything. The guy is just that good.

Yesterday he was clearly not fit against Almagro, not trying hard in many moments, and in the moment he wanted, he beat him easily.

This year it seems Nole is not that fit (at least after Australian Open) and that is the opportunity for everyone else, specially for Nadal.

Nadal is good enough to beat just about everybody except for Nole. If Nole is not fit enough this year, obviously Nadal would be the first beneficiary.

I see Djokovic2.0 as good as Federer was in the years 2004, 2005 and 2006.

If Djokovic could stay totally fit all year long (as Federer did those years) I bet he could make two or three GREAT years (winning at least 3 GS per year as he did last year), because when totally fit he is clearly the best one right now.

But I think he is not going to make it, he won't be able to stay totally fit all year long for two or three more years as Roger did.

Djokovic seems to have some physical problems (respiratory problems) that affects him sooner or later.

I bet we'll get to know when he retires in the future and he releases it to the press (just like Sampras did in 2000 about his illness).

Without those problems, he could do what Federer did for those 3 years.

On the other hand, after all that has been said about Nadal's health problems, I don't see any problem at all in him. He is slower, yes, like everybody after 25, but he is naturally strong as a bull and I can perfectly see him in very good physical shape for another 3 years.

So he can be the first and most beneficiary of Nole's possible physical problems this season and the next ones.

I don't think it all depends on Djokovic, I mean Djokovic was 100% injury/illness-free at the AO final, and that was an awfully close shave (and on Djokovic's best slam surface). But I agree his health is a bit of a time-bomb.

Towser83
03-16-2012, 11:46 AM
I don't think it all depends on Djokovic, I mean Djokovic was 100% injury/illness-free at the AO final, and that was an awfully close shave (and on Djokovic's best slam surface). But I agree his health is a bit of a time-bomb.

yet nadal was awfully close to going out in 4 sets when 0-40 down in the 4th at 4-4 I believe, and again very close when Djokovic missed a forehand down the line for 6-3 in the tiebreak.

This is best of 3 though, so the AO is neither here nor there.

nadalwon2012
03-16-2012, 11:50 AM
yet nadal was awfully close to going out in 4 sets when 0-40 down in the 4th at 4-4 I believe, and again very close when Djokovic missed a forehand down the line for 6-3 in the tiebreak.

This is best of 3 though, so the AO is neither here nor there.

And Djokovic was down 2-4 in the 5th set with Nadal serving at 30-15. Big deal, matches have swings. Welcome to tennis.

Towser83
03-16-2012, 12:03 PM
And Djokovic was down 2-4 in the 5th set with Nadal serving at 30-15. Big deal, matches have swings. Welcome to tennis.

If Djokovic breaks at 4-4 there is no 5th set.

You said Nadal was awfully close to winning, I said he was even closer to losing in 4. That's just a fact.

mattennis
03-16-2012, 12:05 PM
The Djokovic I saw in the Australian Open Final was clearly NOT FRESH at all.

And it is easy to understand, given the gruelling SF he had against Murray.

Just as the Nadal I saw in the Australian Open'09 Final was NOT FRESH at all, even if he won the title in five sets.

Djokovic was very erratic and leg-rigid in the first set, and he was about dead-tired in the fifth set. That is what I saw.

He won because he NOW KNOWS he has the psychological advantage over Nadal, so he hang on in the fifth knowing that Nadal would wilt sooner or later (just as Nadal did, resisting in the fifth set of the '09 Final against Federer waiting for Federer's selfdestruction).

On the other hand, as I said, I think Djokovic is not going to stay totally fit all year long as he did last year (till the US OPEN). He has problems, nobody knows exactly what (something about respiratory system), that hit him sooner or later under huge physical and mental stress.

And trying to repeat this season what he did last year is a very big burden to bear.

For Federer, because of his style, totally efficient, effortless, it was possible to mantain that level for 3 straight years.

Djokovic is not going to do it in my opinion.

Nadal, on the other hand, doesn't need to achieve that high level, because he is so physically strong and has that special game of his (that is very effective against just about everybody) that he can mantain that "runner-up level" (i.e. great but not that great as Federer's or Djokovic's maximum) for years and years without much problem (he has been playing that high level for 7 or 8 years and counting, and it seems he can mantain that level easily for another 2 years).

His game (Nadal's game) may look boring to many, not as good as Federer's or Djokovic's to many (myself included), but it is tremendously effective and given the high margin or error it has, he can beat just about everybody even playing badly.

That is why he is always in the SF or Finals of almost all tournaments, even when not playing well.

He may look not as talented as the other two, but he has one of the most effective games ever (that is why he has been winning GS for 7 straight years) and only an inmensely talented player like Federer or Djokovic can defeat him in a GS Final when he gives his all.

He is a very unique tennis player, this Nadal guy.

nadalwon2012
03-16-2012, 12:06 PM
If Djokovic breaks at 4-4 there is no 5th set.

You said Nadal was awfully close to winning, I said he was even closer to losing in 4. That's just a fact.

That's tennis, like I said. Both were close, have a cookie.

mattennis
03-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Even if I don't love his game, I can say Nadal is a very special and unique tennis player.

And that is why what Djokovic has done in the last 12 months is even more amazing. The way he dissected and dismantled Nadal's game (one of the tougher and effective games ever) was something to remember forever.

Towser83
03-16-2012, 12:11 PM
That's tennis, like I said. Both were close, have a cookie.

Yeah even with the 5 hour semi, Djokovic still had a bit too much, but you are totally right, it was very close.

nadalwon2012
03-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Yeah even with the 5 hour semi, Djokovic still had a bit too much, but you are totally right, it was very close.

You sound upset.

Towser83
03-16-2012, 12:15 PM
You sound upset.

how am I upset?, I'm just agreeing with you that it was a close match despite the fact it could have been over sooner. You sound confused.

norbac
03-18-2012, 04:11 PM
He will win IW with Marc Lopez.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

sbengte
04-06-2012, 06:53 AM
The thread on Rafa's draught beer reminded me of this one.
So the majority voters (48 of them) got this right. Though Rafa hasn't won a title yet, it is safe to assume he will certainly win at least one of the 5 upcoming clay titles.

Sentinel
04-07-2012, 05:36 AM
He's out MC.

What's next on his plate ? Madrid ?

stringertom
04-07-2012, 07:50 AM
He's out MC.

No MC? Is this confirmed? I googled and found nothing.

If so, next on his plate might be some tapas on Las Ramblas in nearby (to Mallorca) Barcelona, no?

veroniquem
04-07-2012, 11:23 AM
He's NOT out of MC. What kind of crazy rumor is that??

The Bawss
04-07-2012, 11:31 AM
He is still playing MC.

tennis_pro
04-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Of course he is. That's his best shot at a title in 2012.

Towser83
04-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Of course he is. That's his best shot at a title in 2012.

nah barca is his best shot, 100% certainty of winning that one.

Where is this news of Nadal not playing MC even coming from?:confused:

Clarky21
04-07-2012, 01:31 PM
He's out MC.

I guess you believed that silly thread someone started earlier,huh? :lol:

Unfortunately for Nadal he is still going to play MC. Number 8,here we come.

Oh,and what happened to the Fed slam title drought thread? :wink:

VOLLEY KING
04-07-2012, 02:22 PM
What about Feds slam drought? Will he ever win another slam.....sorry please disregard....that's a forbidden topic .

Sentinel
04-07-2012, 07:27 PM

My bad, I took that MC thread seriously.
AO final was pretty close, so I am not as pessimistic as you are about future outcomes.

So what did happen to the Fed drought thread, did your cronies VK and JV get it nuked as usual. I've just woken up, so have no idea what you chaps have been up to in my absence ;)

Clarky21
04-07-2012, 07:37 PM
My bad, I took that MC thread seriously.
AO final was pretty close, so I am not as pessimistic as you are about future outcomes.

So what did happen to the Fed drought thread, did your cronies VK and JV get it nuked as usual. I've just woken up, so have no idea what you chaps have been up to in my absence ;)

I have a feeling it wasn't them who got it nuked. There are plenty of Fed fans on here who are more than willing to do the job themselves. :lol: I will throw an I told you so your way,though. :wink:

Call me a pessimist if you like,but I will be right about number 8. Just wait a few weeks and see for yourself.

Sentinel
04-07-2012, 08:04 PM
I have a feeling it wasn't them who got it nuked. There are plenty of Fed fans on here who are more than willing to do the job themselves. :lol: I will throw an I told you so your way,though. :wink:

Call me a pessimist if you like,but I will be right about number 8. Just wait a few weeks and see for yourself.
If Rafa is coming off an injury, then it's hard for him to win MC, so you will get your 8. Hopefully, he gets some match practice there, and can do better in Madrid/Rome.

Nathaniel_Near
04-07-2012, 08:36 PM
I enjoy it when these polls are public because it makes it possible to see how many obvious ***** automatically pick Nadal for the first available tournament. In hindsight, it was such a logical choice.

beast of mallorca
04-07-2012, 08:45 PM
There should be a choice for this poll which goes:

Rafa will never win another tournament again, not even a challenger event.

Guess who's the obvious voter ?

Clarky21
04-07-2012, 08:52 PM
If Rafa is coming off an injury, then it's hard for him to win MC, so you will get your 8. Hopefully, he gets some match practice there, and can do better in Madrid/Rome.

Injury or no injury the result will still be an 8th loss in a row to Djesus.

Nathaniel_Near
04-07-2012, 08:52 PM
There should be a choice for this poll which goes:

Rafa will never win another tournament again, not even a challenger event.

Guess who's the obvious voter ?

Clarky21, of course.

beast of mallorca
04-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Clarky21, of course.

You are a fountain of wisdom :):):)

Nathaniel_Near
04-07-2012, 09:02 PM
You are a fountain of wisdom

*gushing*

Thank youuuuuuU!!!!:):)

Clarky21
04-08-2012, 06:06 AM
Her reaction when Ralph beats Noel at MC.
http://i.imgur.com/bC4pR.gif

Not quite considering that I doubt there will be any miracles performed this year in MC,and Nadal will need one for him to beat Djesus.

Sentinel
04-08-2012, 06:18 AM
Not quite considering that I doubt there will be any miracles performed this year in MC,and Nadal will need one for him to beat Djesus.
LOL, I don;t remember taking your name in that post, is it now assumed that I always talk about you even when I don't mention your name !

stringertom
04-08-2012, 07:54 AM
If it is a Djokdal final two weeks from today, a lot of "8" will be on the line...8 straight Djok wins or 8 straight Ralph MC wins, no?

RF20Lennon
04-08-2012, 08:41 AM
What about Feds slam drought? Will he ever win another slam.....sorry please disregard....that's a forbidden topic .

LOL funny how you got banned after that

Sentinel
04-08-2012, 09:37 AM
If it is a Djokdal final two weeks from today, a lot of "8" will be on the line...8 straight Djok wins or 8 straight Ralph MC wins, no?
Point is, I don't see a Nadovic final at MC. I see neither of them in the final for some reason.

Crisstti
04-08-2012, 09:51 AM

Rafa's 8th straight MC title, you mean?. Sure, I hope so too. :)

TMF
04-08-2012, 09:52 AM
LOL funny how you got banned after that

I was expecting him get canned again. Hope this ban will be permanent.

Clarky21
04-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Rafa's 8th straight MC wtitle, you mean?. Sure, I hope so too. :)

Not even close,but it's nice to have a dream,Crisstti. :lol:

Rjtennis
04-08-2012, 06:24 PM
He will pull a title on the dirt in the next few months.it seems like his level has dropped from last, but he doesnt need to play his best on clay. He can just defend and beat everyone other than Nole. Im not sure he wins RG this year though. His invincibility on clay has been shattered and more players will think they have a shot. And if he and nole make the final Nole it would be very interesting.

Feather
04-09-2012, 05:06 AM
Nole is playing MC, right? :lol:

Title drought ends in Barcelona, maybe.

And the title drought continues from Barcelona.. :)

celoft
04-09-2012, 05:41 AM
And the title drought continues from Barcelona.. :)

Ouch. :lol:.......................

beast of mallorca
04-09-2012, 07:26 AM
LOL, I don;t remember taking your name in that post, is it now assumed that I always talk about you even when I don't mention your name !

You have to understand Senti, that she or it, is full of it, lol