PDA

View Full Version : Making a Prince EXO3 more stiff?

Veninga
03-09-2012, 05:57 AM
Maybe a stupid question, but is it possible to stiffen up the EXO3 Tour a bit?

For example with a very stiff poly? Or will it only break my arm?

I love the feel and softness, but with returning heavy balls, I just feel the racket flexing, which is nice. Feels like the racket even may break:)

So is there a solution for this? Lead, poly, whatever?

(and yes buying another racket is also an option:))

ollinger
03-09-2012, 05:59 AM
Solution is to buy the Exo Warrior and add a little weight to it. Lead will help your Tour but might make the SW objectionable.

Ramon
03-09-2012, 06:12 AM
I demoed an EXO3 Tour 100 16x18 with synthetic gut, and I also tried out my friend's EXO3 Tour 100 18x20 with full RPM Blast. The difference was huge. The 18x20 with full poly was much easier to control and still easy on the arm. I think adding lead could also be worth a try.

tymmh789
03-09-2012, 06:43 AM
Ya this is why I switched from the rebel to the prestige pro.

Sreeram
03-09-2012, 06:58 AM
Yes this is the reason why I did not buy this racquet. I demoed Exo3 Tour 18x20 for a match and I played really well. Loved the control and spin. Even my oponent said I hit with lots of spin today without any clue about my demo racquet. But I thought that over the period I will stop liking this too much flex and hence did not go with it. But I guess the option for you will be to play with a full poly at tension over 50lbs say 56.

TaihtDuhShaat
03-09-2012, 07:10 AM
Measure 9" from the butt end and wrap some grams of lead around there, v this WILL stiffen the impact.

rlau
03-09-2012, 07:20 AM
Hi Arjen,

Maybe a stupid question, but is it possible to stiffen up the EXO3 Tour a bit?

For example with a very stiff poly? Or will it only break my arm?

Stiff polys (e.g. Big Banger Original or Alu Power, Kirschbaum Super Smash, Topspin Cyber Flash or MSV Focus Hex) seem to work really well in the EXO3 Tour, without risking your arm.

SJSA
03-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Add lead tapes at 3 and 9 o'clock.

blipblop
03-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Solution is to buy the Exo Warrior and add a little weight to it. Lead will help your Tour but might make the SW objectionable.

I agree with ollinger here. Nothing short of a tempering-style process for carbon would truly stiffen the material.

Being a Yonex fanatic, I have tried to like and play with the RD-7 but found it too flexy. And contrary to those recommending using full poly, I found that full poly in a flexy racket made for a very poor-feeling sensation. It's hard to describe, but let's just say I hated it.

Stiffness is a spec I ignored in my earlier days, but now it is probably the most important spec to me, because I can't adjust it myself. If you don't like the stiffness, get a different stick. Good luck!

Veninga
03-10-2012, 12:34 AM
Guys, thanks for all the feedback.

In short.
- Some lead at 7''/
- Full poly

I will try, i will keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Veninga
03-11-2012, 06:35 AM
Measure 9" from the butt end and wrap some grams of lead around there, v this WILL stiffen the impact.

just did some googling. there is also platitium foil and graphite tape. Because these materials are much stiffer than lead, this should be an option 2. Anyone, experience with these materials?

red rook
03-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Full bed of poly helped for me.