PDA

View Full Version : David Ferrer

Rabbit
03-09-2012, 06:39 AM
I just learned this past weekend that David Ferrer shares an interesting tidbit with a former Aussie player, Phil Dent. Both, at one point, quit their tennis and job real jobs. Dent left the tour and worked in a sewing machine factory and Ferrer worked construction. Dent, if I remember correctly, said that he found working for a living much harder than playing tennis for a living. :)

Additional scoop on Ferrer that was gleaned watching tennis from the Latin American swing. Ferrer's coach used to lock him in a "cupboard", later another commentator during Buenos Aires said it was a wooden locker they kept balls in for stoarge, when he decided Ferrer wasn't trying. He would lock Ferrer in for a couple of hours until he decided he was ready to "try".

Ferrer's fitness early on was suspect. Ferrer really didn't try and always thought he "sucked" at tennis. Ferrer, at his lowest point, was a smoker! The commentator said Ferrer would lose, disappear, and apparently just sat around smoking cigarettes until he felt better.

Ferrer, and I've heard this for several years, doesn't think much of his ability at all. He was quoted several years ago as saying he shouldn't take a set of Nadal. As recently as the Acapulco tournament, he said he expected to lose to Verdasco as "he is better than me, he has beaten me more than I've beaten him."

From all accounts Ferrer really is a throwback to the Aussie days. He works his *** off now, he's supremely fit, he comes to play and doesn't engage in the histrionics so many of his contemporaries do and he's just a real competitor. From what I heard on TV this weekend as well, Ferrer is well liked and well respected by his peers. It was really unreal how much the two guys on Tennis Channel opened up about Ferrer.

I knew I always admired his game and attitude, but it's nice to hear where he came from and that the guy really is humble.

President
03-09-2012, 06:45 AM
Great post. David Ferrer may be the most admirable player on tour. It would be a great thing if he could win a big tournament one day, I can't think of anyone who deserves it more.

OldFedIsOld
03-09-2012, 06:48 AM
Locked him in a cupboard....is he Harry Potter?

citybert
03-09-2012, 06:53 AM
will locking him in the cupboard finally solve the Patrick McEnroe vs Wayne Bryan Debate? Maybe this is what US tennis is missing? If they did this in the US lawsuits would follow asap

atatu
03-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Locked him in a cupboard....is he Harry Potter?

Good thing he doesn't play football for Texas Tech.

Murrayalmagrofan
03-09-2012, 07:39 AM
David Ferrer may be the most admirable player on tour. It would be a great thing if he could win a big tournament one day, I can't think of anyone who deserves it more.
Agreed. The fact that he's been as high as #4 in the world and is only 5ft 9in tall is also a testament to his hard work. I would definitley like to see Ferrer win a Grand Slam before his career is over.

Rabbit
03-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Good thing he doesn't play football for Texas Tech.

I don't think Tommy "Ears" Tubberville would ever do something like that!

Rabbit
03-09-2012, 07:46 AM
Agreed. The fact that he's been as high as #4 in the world and is only 5ft 9in tall is also a testament to his hard work. I would definitley like to see Ferrer win a Grand Slam before his career is over.

+1 on that, Ferrer is a great player and very deserving.

ollinger
03-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Working a manual-labor job you don't enjoy is always good for the soul. Teaches you some perspective.

Rabbit
03-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Working a manual-labor job you don't enjoy is always good for the soul. Teaches you some perspective.

Exactly! I don't think Ferrer could have achieved the $13M in perspective doing day labor construction. ;)

li0scc0
03-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Exactly! I don't think Ferrer could have achieved the $13M in perspective doing day labor construction. ;)

He could if he received a Federal government contract.

joeri888
03-09-2012, 08:43 AM
Let's make this thread the "Ferrer to kick predictability out of tennis and win Roland Garros 2012-club"

Bobby Jr
03-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Ferrer, and I've heard this for several years, doesn't think much of his ability at all...
This here is why guys like Ferrer excel in their late 20s and not their early 20s. They usually don't have the routines down pat enough to train right, train smart nor have the mental ability to keep a level head/analyse things appropriately. Thinking too much of your ability in your teens/early 20s is half the reason male tennis players in that age group aren't great yet.