PDA

View Full Version : Pure Drive Roddick (2012) Standard length to +?

JDMasFCK
03-09-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm currently using my the PDR standard and I'm not getting enough power (oddly) on my groundstrokes. I'm using VS 16G in Mains and RPM Blast 17G in the crosses at 54LBS. Do you think switching to the + would solve my problems? And is adjusting to the extra half inch of length hard? Appreciate any opinions from anyone who has had the PDR standard and switched to the + version, or vice versa

Thanks! :D

JDMasFCK
03-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Anyone?

10chars

OldFedIsOld
03-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Longer racquets give you a little more reach and power on your groundstrokes and serves, but they aren't as maneuverable on volleys and could hurt your arm as well as throw you off because the sweet spot has changed.

I suggest either learning how to hit ground strokes the right way(racquets and strings only give you a little extra power but form is what is the huge factor) or leading up your racquet.

Power Player
03-10-2012, 07:58 PM
I use the plus, but it is not the roddick version. I much prefer it to the standard and adapting was very easy for me. Just matters if you have used one before.

If not, you will need to spend a little time before you will know if you like it.

arthurchen
03-11-2012, 10:06 AM
try lowering the tension to 49 mains 46 crosses should give you a little more pop

Avadia
03-11-2012, 12:08 PM
try lowering the tension to 49 mains 46 crosses should give you a little more pop

Also consider trying full gut or some other kind of poly cross. RPM dies quickly and becomes quite stiff. I think this stiffness robs you of power. MSV Co-focus gives you a lot of power along with good spin and it makes a good cross string. But you may be quite satisfied with a full bed of gut at the right tension.

Fed Kennedy
03-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Switch the rpm to tornado and add 1g at 12. The roddick plus is a log that will be 1 month of adjustment.

JDMasFCK
03-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Well I just ended purchasing the Roddick +... so far it's really good..... it has WAY more power than what I was expecting but shouldn't be a problem after I dial it in, surprisingly the adjustment period isn't as bad/long as I was anticipating it to be.

OTMPut
03-11-2012, 11:09 PM
Are the beam width specs of the old PDR+ GT version and the new PDR+ different? TW lists the newer one as thicker than the GT version.

KarmaKorps
03-26-2012, 12:32 PM
I'm picking up the black Roddick + demo tonight & contemplating going back to a 27.5 stick, per my old setup.

Used to hit with the PD+ and PDR+ (cortex). Serves and backhands were incredible but I suffered some consistency issues on my forehand (which I use most often to setup the point, as most do). That led me to the Dunlop 200 and later on, the 200 tour (4d). Fantastic, stable frames, but at 12.4 (w/overgrip), it doesn't take much to get out of the groove on groundstrokes, most notably when you are feeling agressive and are in a match situation with an opponent who is baiting you with low-pace, high trajectory balls.
Nowadays, the 11.9 oz weight range feels so much lighter. I believe the swingweight on the Roddick + will be very manageable and looking fwd to the hit. I remember feeling the extra leverage and loving it on BHs and serves. We'll see how it goes.

I'm a 4.5, SW forehand, 2HBH, OHBHS

CBORNANCINI
03-27-2012, 07:42 AM
Well, I think that the PDR is powerful enough to meet a wide variety of players. I'm not a guy who generates plenty of power, but my black PDR with Genesis Typhoon and 53 pounds, was excellent.
For me, the solution would be to lower the tension of the string.