PDA

View Full Version : Speculating about how long Federer will play is pointless

sandy mayer
03-10-2012, 03:18 AM
Because in tennis no-one can predict this. When Connors was 25 Ashe said Connors would not have a long career because of his style of play! No-one predicted he would play into his 40s. No-one predicted Agassi would get to a US Open final when he was 35 when Agassi was in his 20s. I thought Lendl would go on longer than he did. I thought the same of Becker. I thought McEnroe, Borg, Edberg, Becker and Wilander would be slam winners until they were thirty.

People keep saying Federer will be like Connors and Agassi and keep playing on. Who knows? With tennis there are surprises about the length of players' careers at the top. You can't make predictions. You have to go by a year by year basis. Federer could retire this year. He could keep going until he's 40 and win several slams in his 30s.

Sentinel
03-10-2012, 04:10 AM
If you yourself say its pointless, then let's speculate about Nadal. I think he will play til 36 or 38 at least.

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-10-2012, 04:22 AM
70% of people have already made a fool of themselves trying to forecast Nadal. About to turn age 26, and he's at the peak of his durability. Just made 4 straight slam finals for the first time in his career.

tusharlovesrafa
03-10-2012, 04:38 AM
If you yourself say its pointless, then let's speculate about Nadal. I think he will play til 36 or 38 at least.

Who is nadal?? I think parera will sweep this clay n glass season winning everything.:)

monfed
03-10-2012, 06:04 AM
I read somewhere that Fed wants to play 2016 olympics. Can't find the link though.

Apun94
03-10-2012, 10:00 AM
I read somewhere that Fed wants to play 2016 olympics. Can't find the link though.

And he'll probably be one of the favourites at that time too! Nobody expected Fed to play at this level when he reached 30+. And it doesnt look like hes stopping for the next 2 yrs. So, you never know...

Cormorant
03-10-2012, 10:29 AM
It's easy to fall into the trap of forecasting retirement when you consider how many slam champs/finalists have retired before they hit thirty e.g. Courier, Rios, Safin, Kafelnikov, and Rafter. Then there are those who elect to call it a day at 30, such as Corretja and Costa. And of course there's the Sampras factor, because even though he played his last match at 31 he had some really bad defeats at 30 which hinted he could be washed up. A lot of people(me included) refer to the past when they see possible signs of decline, leading them to transpose career trajectories from before onto players in the present. In terms of success at the majors, there's no doubt that your thirties tend to be a decade of diminishing returns.

Thankfully, Roger's bucking the trend so far.

Mustard
03-10-2012, 10:40 AM
When Connors was 25 Ashe said Connors would not have a long career because of his style of play! No-one predicted he would play into his 40s.

Connors loved the challenge of tennis matches more than anything, which is why he carried on playing for so long.

I thought Lendl would go on longer than he did.

He would have, but for his debilitating back injury. In Lendl's last ever match on tour at the 1994 US Open against Bernd Karbacher in the R64, Lendl lost the first set but came back to take a 5-0 lead in the second set and had 9 set points, only to fail to take any of them and Karbacher came back and won the set 7-6. Lendl then retired after losing serve in the opening game of the third set. 3 months later, having not played another match, he announced his retirement due to the back injury.

Regarding Federer, I think he'll carry on until he starts losing in the first week of majors on a regular basis, or if injury strikes (which doesn't seem likely in Federer's case).

TennisLovaLova
03-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Federer should retire at the top, just like MJ did in 1998. And also avoid any useless comebacks.
I just hope he wont ruin the end of his carreer as mustard suggests by losing 1st round matches.

Sentinel
03-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Who is nadal?? I think parera will sweep this clay n glass season winning everything.:)
Rena swept the glass season last year. I don't mind Parera doing the same though. :twisted:

monfed
03-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Rena swept the glass season last year. I don't mind Parera doing the same though. :twisted:

Really starting to wonder if you're a Federer fan. :-?

FlashFlare11
03-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Really starting to wonder if you're a Federer fan. :-?

He's the most brilliant Nadal fan on this board!

laughingbuddha
03-10-2012, 07:02 PM

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Nadal's are involved in the window business.

jokinla
03-10-2012, 11:42 PM
Every thread on this website is pointless.

Love all
03-11-2012, 12:34 AM
Especially when he is in no mood to leave tennis and want to do some repair work for his legacy. But same is not true for Nadal...

stringertom
03-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Fed will retire when he loses his love for the game. I don't see that happening soon. Until then, keep on truckin', SMCRogi! Love your SwissSorcery! Time for a bite of Lindt Excellence. Yum Yum!

celoft
03-11-2012, 08:58 AM
Mid-thirties(like Agassi) perhaps.

monfed
03-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Fed will retire when he loses his love for the game. I don't see that happening soon. Until then, keep on truckin', SMCRogi! Love your SwissSorcery! Time for a bite of Lindt Excellence. Yum Yum!

*Opens fridge....finds Bournville". :(

Sentinel
03-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Every thread on this website is pointless.
Except those started by tusharlovestrollin.