PDA

View Full Version : Best forehands on tour and their grips

ktncnttl
07-24-2005, 09:11 AM
Is western the most prevalent forehand grip among male pros, especially those known for their forehands? For example Moya, Roddick, Ferrero, Gonzales etc. Do they all use the western grip?

Jon Hampton
07-24-2005, 12:54 PM
Don't quote me on this. Maybe someone more knowledgable that I has the definite answer to your question.

As far as I know, Moya, Ferrero, and Gonzales use western. So does Nadal.

From what I understand, Roddick uses a semi-western forehand.

Rodzilla
07-24-2005, 01:09 PM
I think the majority of players use a western forehand grip. Most claycourters, who I guess from the guys you mentioned have the best forehands, use a western grip such as Nadal and Moya, and some more extreme than others.

I believe Roddick uses a strong semi-western. Federer has an awesome forehand as well, and I believe his grip is eastern - semi-western.

spinbalz
07-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Grosjean has a killer forehand, and it looks like his forehand is very unique and special in its form/execution. Can someone give us a detailed description of Grosjean's forehand?

finchy
07-24-2005, 01:14 PM
Federer usually uses a strong eastern grip. moya uses a strong semi-western grip. nadal uses an extreme full western grip. (not that his is any spectacular though)

spinbalz, Grosjean's forehand was completely analyzed in an older issue of Tennis Magazine.

Rodzilla
07-24-2005, 01:15 PM
Grosjean has a killer forehand, and it looks like his forehand is very unique and special in its form/execution. Can someone give us a detailed description of Grosjean's forehand?

I suggest posting your request in the 'Tennis Tips/Instruction' section. Guys like Mahboob Khan and Bungalo Bill, just to name two, know their stuff and would probably give you a very detailed breakdown of Grosjean's forehand if given a reason.

Rodzilla
07-24-2005, 01:16 PM
Federer usually uses a strong eastern grip. moya uses a strong semi-western grip. nadal uses an extreme full western grip. (not that his is any spectacular though)

spinbalz, Grosjean's forehand was completely analyzed in an older issue of Tennis Magazine.

Moya's was analyzed in an older issue of Tennis Magazine also, and they stated it was a western grip not strong semi-western.

finchy
07-24-2005, 01:17 PM
lmao, it is a VERY light western grip. it doesnt look all the way under the handle so i consider it a strong semi western grip.

Rodzilla
07-24-2005, 01:20 PM
lmao, it is a VERY light western grip. it doesnt look all the way under the handle so i consider it a strong semi western grip.

Actually, looking over it more thoroughly, his grip looks some what like Roddick's, who I believe uses a light western, strong semi-western. Again, like Jon Hampton, don't quote me on this.

splink779
07-24-2005, 01:54 PM
Dont kid yourself, Moya is full western.

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
07-24-2005, 05:25 PM
Ferrero has a strong semi-western that's weaker than Roddick's. Agassi uses a moderate semi-western. Gonzo uses a traditional semi-western. Federer uses a hybrid between eastern and semi-western, but closer to eastern.

joesixtoe
07-24-2005, 06:36 PM
roddick uses a western, agassi uses a hammer grip, thats between semi and eastern, federer he seems like he mixes his up, remember he goes across his body so its just diff,