PDA

View Full Version : APD GT vs Prestige Pro comparisons

doctor dennis
03-11-2012, 05:19 AM
Hi All

I currently use the APD GT.

Could anyone whos gone from this to the Prestige Pro or vice versa comment on any similarities / differences between the two?

Also anyone whos got or used the Prestige Pro could please comment.

The reason im considering the switch is that im flattening out my game considerably so was wondering if a lower powered frame such as the Pro may suit me better.

Ordinarily i would demo but its tough finding this stick in the UK to demo.
Ive owned the MG Prestige in the past and always wanted it in 16/19.

My game is predominantly played behind the baseline and i look to control the rally whenever possible.
I hit with a THBH but probably slice more backhands. My forehand is my strength and i mix topspin with flatter strikes although my game is heading towards flatter strikes.
Im probably a 4.0/weak 4.5 player if i were to guess.

Thanks for any feedback.

Kind Regards

DoctorDennis

Bartelby
03-11-2012, 05:34 AM
You need a longer stroke with the pro to get the power and it takes more out of you to play with it in longer matches, but its a fine racquet that is not too much of a transition at your level.

doctor dennis
03-11-2012, 05:47 AM
You need a longer stroke with the pro to get the power and it takes more out of you to play with it in longer matches, but its a fine racquet that is not too much of a transition at your level.

Thanks for the reply.

I have a fairly long stroke and i should be fine providing my own power. Fitness wont be an issue. I think.lol.

Ive demoed many player/tweener rackets in the past but have found that players rackets give me more power off tbe ground which is kinda weird i would have thought. It could be due to the higher swing weights of these rackets. Im not sure.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

Regards.

DD

monolith694
03-11-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm currently on a YTPP after switching from an APD, and I'm currently very happy with that switch. I find I had more control and (sometimes) spin with the PP. My 1HBH is much more versatile now. I'm able to hit better angles and move it around better, whereas with the APD, I wasn't able to hit much of a rally ball without it floating or going wild. The PP also feels a lot easier to swing, and I didn't notice a huge drop off in power from switching. It's also much easier to hit a flat ball with the PP. I also like the PJ much better on the PP, but maybe that's just me. :)

doctor dennis
03-11-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm currently on a YTPP after switching from an APD, and I'm currently very happy with that switch. I find I had more control and (sometimes) spin with the PP. My 1HBH is much more versatile now. I'm able to hit better angles and move it around better, whereas with the APD, I wasn't able to hit much of a rally ball without it floating or going wild. The PP also feels a lot easier to swing, and I didn't notice a huge drop off in power from switching. It's also much easier to hit a flat ball with the PP. I also like the PJ much better on the PP, but maybe that's just me. :)

Cheers for the feedback.

I'm currently looking to get a PP to demo but its hard. Most places have the Mid and MP but the PP is proving tough to get.

Oh well, i'll have to search harder.

Regards

DD:???:

sm01
03-11-2012, 03:27 PM
I've been using the MG PP for several years now. I have several all weighted up to 12.1 oz and 5-6 pts head light. Basically polarized weightwise. I use Bab RPM Blast 18 58 mains 48 crosses. The reason I mention this is that the new YTPP IG is now set up stock very similar to what I've been using customized.

Ditto monolith694's comments. I can hit flat, spin, loops, etc., pretty much on demand very easily--so I can really work the ball with a lot of variety and its very arm friendly and very solid.

I've hit with several versions of the APD, and quite frankly think that its a much more limited racquet. Its just too powerful for me, and it feels hollow and less stable compared to the PP.

But if you are looking for the PP to be an automatically flatter hitting racquet, I don't categorize it as that--I consider it a spin monster that can hit flat but not a flat trajectory racquet. The Wilson 6.5 98 16x18 will be a flatter hitter IMHO--when I hit flatter shots with that racquet at stock my those strokes are a good 12 to 18 inches flatter over net compared to my PP.

You may want to take a good look at the Head Radical mid. Its a bit closer to the APD but is more forgiving and stable and I find that it hits a flatter ground stroke compared to the PP. And the LM versions are only $79--a very very good racquet at a very very good price.

Keep us posted.

monolith694
03-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Cheers for the feedback.

I'm currently looking to get a PP to demo but its hard. Most places have the Mid and MP but the PP is proving tough to get.

Oh well, i'll have to search harder.

Regards

DD:???:

If you're in the US, m-i-d-w-e-s-t- sports has them for demo for around $7.

doctor dennis
03-12-2012, 01:25 AM
If you're in the US, m-i-d-w-e-s-t- sports has them for demo for around $7.

UK unfortunately. The PP is quite a rare bird on the tennis demo lists over here.

sm01
I've been using the MG PP for several years now. I have several all weighted up to 12.1 oz and 5-6 pts head light. Basically polarized weightwise. I use Bab RPM Blast 18 58 mains 48 crosses. The reason I mention this is that the new YTPP IG is now set up stock very similar to what I've been using customized.

Ditto monolith694's comments. I can hit flat, spin, loops, etc., pretty much on demand very easily--so I can really work the ball with a lot of variety and its very arm friendly and very solid.

I've hit with several versions of the APD, and quite frankly think that its a much more limited racquet. Its just too powerful for me, and it feels hollow and less stable compared to the PP.

But if you are looking for the PP to be an automatically flatter hitting racquet, I don't categorize it as that--I consider it a spin monster that can hit flat but not a flat trajectory racquet. The Wilson 6.5 98 16x18 will be a flatter hitter IMHO--when I hit flatter shots with that racquet at stock my those strokes are a good 12 to 18 inches flatter over net compared to my PP.

You may want to take a good look at the Head Radical mid. Its a bit closer to the APD but is more forgiving and stable and I find that it hits a flatter ground stroke compared to the PP. And the LM versions are only $79--a very very good racquet at a very very good price.

Keep us posted.

Sm01, thanks for the great feedback. Thats a great help.

Kind Regards

DD

Ross K
03-12-2012, 01:55 AM
I really love both frames but have found the Bab suits me better. Control, solidness and sweet way of swinging definitely goes to the PP. However, it's a tad demanding for me personally, whereas the big oomph of the APD suits my game and b-liner heavy spin requirements better. I also like that it's easy to mod up, and the head size is another crucial factor for me.

KenC
03-12-2012, 03:22 AM
In many lower powered, control oriented racquets you can get away with using a lower tension on the strings to get some of the lost "oomph" back. Interestingly, I don't feel like there is much of a loss of control while doing this, especially when compared to what happens when you go with low tension on a high powered frame.

doctor dennis
03-12-2012, 06:30 AM
I really love both frames but have found the Bab suits me better. Control, solidness and sweet way of swinging definitely goes to the PP. However, it's a tad demanding for me personally, whereas the big oomph of the APD suits my game and b-liner heavy spin requirements better. I also like that it's easy to mod up, and the head size is another crucial factor for me.

The head size wont bother me. I hit with my mates original wilson pro staff for awhile this weekend, the one that sampras used in 90's. That was a sweet stick.
How would you rate the PP and APD GT power wise against each other?

Regards

DD

li0scc0
03-12-2012, 06:33 AM
How would you rate the PP and APD GT power wise against each other?

Regards

DD

It depends which Prestige Pro.

If comparing to the Microgel Prestige Pro, the APDGT is FAR more powerful. If comparing to the Youtek or Youtek IG Prestige Pro, the APDGT is more powerful, but not 'FAR more'.

The Microgel Prestige Pro has a flex in the lower 60's and a sub 320 SW.
The Youtek Prestige Pro has a flex in the higher 60's and a SW above 320.

The APDGT has a SW around 330 and a flex of 70+.

Hence the APDGT has more power.

doctor dennis
03-12-2012, 07:14 AM
It depends which Prestige Pro.

If comparing to the Microgel Prestige Pro, the APDGT is FAR more powerful. If comparing to the Youtek or Youtek IG Prestige Pro, the APDGT is more powerful, but not 'FAR more'.

The Microgel Prestige Pro has a flex in the lower 60's and a sub 320 SW.
The Youtek Prestige Pro has a flex in the higher 60's and a SW above 320.

The APDGT has a SW around 330 and a flex of 70+.

Hence the APDGT has more power.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasnt sure if the higher static weight of the PP would make it fairly similar in terms of power.

Regards

DD

sm01
03-12-2012, 01:48 PM
My 2 cents worth, I agree that the YTPP is marginally more powerful than the MGPP, but the tradeoff IMHO is feel. The MGPP and the new YTPP IG have better feel than the YT. Personally I like the feel or feedback of the MGPP and IG. But the YTPP has a bit more power.

As I said, my impressions of the ADP GT is that it has too much power. When I hit with it I had to intentionally loop my shots much more to keep them in the lines. To me, that racquet hits more like the Head Extreme line (also yellow, similar thickness racquets--but found the APD somewhat depowered compared to the Extreme). Both have plenty of power but I have to really use a lot of top to keep the ball in.

With the PP and also the Head radicals, I don't have that problem. I use lots of top when I want to, not because I need to. And I can hit flat shots if and when I want--but my flat shots with the PP are a bit loopier than with the Radical, and also the Wilson 6.1 16 X 18.

So what does this mean? IMHO if you are used to the power of the APD, you need to be prepared to input more power if you go with the PP--to achieve the same pace. But the good thing is you can really whale on the ball and keep it in. So if you had to loop it to keep the ball in with the PD, you wont have that problem so much with the PP. I also believe that you will be able to vary spins to a greater extent. Both for height and depth via top, and also play with more intentional sidespins. That to me is the big advantage of "players" or "control" racquets.

As another consideration, the PP will have a Head grip pallet, with the wider flats, which does take some time to get used to--but now that I am, I like it and use it.

doctor dennis
03-12-2012, 03:17 PM
My 2 cents worth, I agree that the YTPP is marginally more powerful than the MGPP, but the tradeoff IMHO is feel. The MGPP and the new YTPP IG have better feel than the YT. Personally I like the feel or feedback of the MGPP and IG. But the YTPP has a bit more power.

As I said, my impressions of the ADP GT is that it has too much power. When I hit with it I had to intentionally loop my shots much more to keep them in the lines. To me, that racquet hits more like the Head Extreme line (also yellow, similar thickness racquets--but found the APD somewhat depowered compared to the Extreme). Both have plenty of power but I have to really use a lot of top to keep the ball in.

With the PP and also the Head radicals, I don't have that problem. I use lots of top when I want to, not because I need to. And I can hit flat shots if and when I want--but my flat shots with the PP are a bit loopier than with the Radical, and also the Wilson 6.1 16 X 18.

So what does this mean? IMHO if you are used to the power of the APD, you need to be prepared to input more power if you go with the PP--to achieve the same pace. But the good thing is you can really whale on the ball and keep it in. So if you had to loop it to keep the ball in with the PD, you wont have that problem so much with the PP. I also believe that you will be able to vary spins to a greater extent. Both for height and depth via top, and also play with more intentional sidespins. That to me is the big advantage of "players" or "control" racquets.

As another consideration, the PP will have a Head grip pallet, with the wider flats, which does take some time to get used to--but now that I am, I like it and use it.

Great input again, thanks.

I enjoy the free power that the APD GT provides. I dont think its too powerful but it is powerful nontheless. used to own the MG Extreme Pro. That was a great stick too. Your right though, it is more powerful than the APD GT which is part of the reason i changed from it to a MG Prestige MP. The Prestige served me well but i missed the 16/19 string pattern so switched again to the APD GT. I had problems demoing any Prestige Pros at the time so never got to try one and the pro stock TGK models are practically impossible to demo.

I really want to be sure that the APD GT is my Holy Grail and the only racket that can convince me other wise is the IG Prestige Pro. I can loop and hit flat but generally im more confident hitting with more loop as im less likely to throw in a UE. The handle shape wont be an issue. Ive mainly used Head rackets throughout my brief tennis journey so far.

Im still currently looking to find a shop in the UK to demo one from. If anybody knows of such a place please let me know.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Kind Regards

DoctorDennis