PDA

View Full Version : Is Wimbledon Federer's least likely chance at another gs title?

nadalwon2012
03-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Lost at QF stage 2 years in a row. Doesn't even blink at the QF stage in the other 3 slams.

laughingbuddha
03-11-2012, 06:55 AM
No, it is AO, the slowest slam.

SStrikerR
03-11-2012, 07:01 AM
Not even close...AOs speed doesn't fit him as well as others. His best chance is either USO or a French open nadal doesn't play in.. Wimbledon I don't know since he hasn't played nadal there in 4 years.

nadalwon2012
03-11-2012, 07:03 AM
Federer whoops Del Potro at the AO like nothing else. Their other meetings are almost all close. 2009 AO, and 2012 AO, both were a freak mismatch as if Del Potro was a qualifier in each case. I guess the only problem Federer has at the AO is vs Nadal and Djokovic.

monfed
03-11-2012, 07:06 AM
Dullzilla can't make one sincere thread. I suggest you worry about your loverboy Ralph and leave the Federer threads to us fanboys,thanks.

Bobby Jr
03-11-2012, 07:07 AM
Last year Federer played well and was taken out by Tsonga who was playing the best he'd ever played - and who couldn't repeat that form in his next match. Federer just didn't have the spark that day but has been playing great up till that point.

Two years ago Federer lost to Berdych during an utterly rubbish patch of his career when he was shanking everything in sight. That result was an anomaly and little to do with his getting worse... He almost hasn't played that poorly since that tournament.

His two Wimbledon losses were earlier than at other slams for sure but it'd still be equal best chance with the USO for him to pick up another slam imo.

celoft
03-11-2012, 07:13 AM
No, it is AO, the slowest slam.

I concur...................

monfed
03-11-2012, 07:15 AM
Last year Federer played well and was taken out by Tsonga who was playing the best he'd ever played - and who couldn't repeat that form in his next match. Federer just didn't have the spark that day but has been playing great up till that point.

Two years ago Federer lost to Berdych during an utterly rubbish patch of his career when he was shanking everything in sight. That result was an anomaly and little to do with his getting worse... He almost hasn't played that poorly since that tournament.

His two Wimbledon losses were earlier than at other slams for sure but it'd still be equal best chance with the USO for him to pick up another slam imo.

Can't believe you gave this troll a straight answer. Good on you!

nadalwon2012
03-11-2012, 07:20 AM
I'll be watching with interest at this year's Wimbledon as to whether we see another early exit or not. There is a school of thought that Federer can't keep up with the pace when guys like Tsonga and Berdych get on a roll. Wimbledon certainly accommodates that pace.

Sentinel
03-11-2012, 07:21 AM
Lost at QF stage 2 years in a row. Doesn't even blink at the QF stage in the other 3 slams.
Sweetie, lets not forget he was up 2 sets. However, Tsonga had a great day, not being broken at all, iirc.

So its not so bad. Don't lose sleep. Raphla will cross 16.

DjokovicForTheWin
03-11-2012, 07:22 AM
If ********* posts in here it will be like Freddy vs. Jason.

nadalwon2012
03-11-2012, 07:24 AM
Sweetie, lets not forget he was up 2 sets. However, Tsonga had a great day, not being broken at all, iirc.

So its not so bad. Don't lose sleep. Raphla will cross 16.

If I was linking Rafa to this discussion (which I did not until you did) I would prefer Federer won the QF so Rafa could beat him again at Wimbledon to tie the grass head-to-head at 2-2. Wimbledon is the last place I want Federer to lose in the QF at. Rafa needs to play him at Wimbledon.

SStrikerR
03-11-2012, 07:27 AM
I'll be watching with interest at this year's Wimbledon as to whether we see another early exit or not. There is a school of thought that Federer can't keep up with the pace when guys like Tsonga and Berdych get on a roll. Wimbledon certainly accommodates that pace.

There's also a school of thought that federer is at his best on fast courts. True, big hitters having great days are a difficult matchup for him, but they're tough for anyone.

Sartorius
03-11-2012, 07:32 AM

You should talk to ********* about this. I think you two would get along well.

If ********* posts in here it will be like Freddy vs. Jason.

More like Jekyll and Hyde..

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-11-2012, 07:35 AM
You should talk to ********* about this. I think you two would get along well.

He should ask a Federer fan, more so.

Sartorius
03-11-2012, 07:38 AM

I'm sure you know what he should do.

On more important matters, tell me, what do you see in nadalwon2012?.. What do you feel about him?.. Do you feel close to him somehow?

rommil
03-11-2012, 07:39 AM

Hello Buli*****ta!!! Why don't you put Roger in your ignore list as well so you won't be bothered by him:)

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-11-2012, 07:39 AM
I'm sure you know what he should do.

On more important matters, tell me, what do you see in nadalwon2012?.. What do you feel about him?.. Do you feel close to him somehow?

Yeah I'm posting in his thread.

Sartorius
03-11-2012, 07:42 AM
Yeah I'm posting in his thread.

Does it feel like...a paradox?

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-11-2012, 07:44 AM
Does it feel like...a paradox?

No but this conversation feels like a waste of time.

Sartorius
03-11-2012, 07:49 AM
No but this conversation feels like a waste of time.

Indeed. :D

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Indeed. :D

Yet you started it....

Sometimes I feel I'm the only poster here who wants to talk about tennis.

celoft
03-11-2012, 07:55 AM

Nadal lost in the QF of AO 2 years in a row but then he made the finals again this year. Same can happen with Fed in Wimbledon.

nadalwon2012
03-11-2012, 08:04 AM
Nadal lost in the QF of AO 2 years in a row but then he made the finals again this year. Same can happen with Fed in Wimbledon.

Exactly, I'll be watching with interest to see if it does. If Federer again fails to even make the semis, it won't be just a lull, it will be the genuine reality, that grass is his worst surface now.

Federer has lost in the 1st Round of Wimbledon 3 times. He might be going full circle - ending his career worse on grass than any other surface, just as he started it.

Gorecki
03-11-2012, 08:07 AM
Yet you started it....

http://www.picshag.com/pics/092009/rofl-mao.jpg

zagor
03-11-2012, 08:07 AM
( Has RAFA2005RG posted in this thread yet? )

( I'd like to hear his opinion on this topic. )

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-11-2012, 08:08 AM
http://www.picshag.com/pics/092009/rofl-mao.jpg

^ Great example right there.

Cup8489
03-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Yet you started it....

PSH, you don't talk about tennis, you talk about your loverboy Rafa. There's a monstrous difference.

mainly involving the lack of buttpicking throughout the rest of the sport.

celoft
03-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Exactly, I'll be watching with interest to see if it does. If Federer again fails to even make the semis, it won't be just a lull, it will be the genuine reality, that grass is his worst surface now.

Federer has lost in the 1st Round of Wimbledon 3 times. He might be going full circle - ending his career worse on grass than any other surface, just as he started it.

He could go full circle and win Wimbledon where it all started in 2003.

Many of the all time greats won their first and last slam at the same venue:

Sampras
Borg
Tilden
Rosewall
McEnroe
Graf
Navratilova
Evert
Billie Jean King

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-11-2012, 08:20 AM
PSH, you don't talk about tennis, you talk about your loverboy Rafa. There's a monstrous difference.

mainly involving the lack of buttpicking throughout the rest of the sport.

I avoid Nadal's personal life at all costs. I have no interest in Nadal the person. You on the other hand, seem a bit obsessed with Nadal the person.

Cup8489
03-11-2012, 08:54 AM
I avoid Nadal's personal life at all costs. I have no interest in Nadal the person. You on the other hand, seem a bit obsessed with Nadal the person.

How do I seem obsessed with 'Nadal the person'?

I've never mentioned anything about him besides his tennis..

You fail again, *********. And 95% of your posts have 'Nadal' enclosed in them, so you obviously have an interest in Nadal

Notice how the post you quoted never differentiated between Nadal and 'Nadal the person'?

Did you just make that up so you wouldn't seem so crazed? Probably.

BULLZ1LLA2.0
03-11-2012, 08:59 AM
How do I seem obsessed with 'Nadal the person'?

I've never mentioned anything about him besides his tennis..

You fail again, *********. And 95% of your posts have 'Nadal' enclosed in them, so you obviously have an interest in Nadal

Notice how the post you quoted never differentiated between Nadal and 'Nadal the person'?

Did you just make that up so you wouldn't seem so crazed? Probably.

See I post about Nadal's tennis. Half the time you mention Nadal, it has nothing to do with tennis. It's just to bash Nadal or his fans.

Hitman
03-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Z1illa - Seriously, how many accounts have you created here? I'll take your word for it. :)

jackson vile
03-11-2012, 02:22 PM

Both guys he lost to were playing some of the best tennis they have ever consistently played on grass. When someone is on fire all you can do is hope that fire somehow goes out.

FlashFlare11
03-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Both guys he lost to were playing some of the best tennis they have ever consistently played on grass. When someone is on fire all you can do is hope that fire somehow goes out.

Agree. Especially when you're playing big hitters like Berdych and Tsonga. To be honest though, neither were particularly surprising. Federer didn't play well at all at Wimbledon 2010. And people were expecting Tsonga to pull the upset in 2011. You're right. When playing people like Berdych and Tsonga on fire, there's nothing you can really do.

kishnabe
03-11-2012, 02:31 PM
What a fool, taking a post out of context and trying to pass it off as a legit opinion.

too bad you didn't read the rest of them, which were being said in jest to sureshs, rather than being serious. LOL.

And I could care less if i'm on your ignore list, you're a bumbling moron anyway haha.

If you keep on ignoring everyone pretty soon.....you can only see yourself and other copies.

billnepill
03-11-2012, 02:40 PM
^ Great example right there.

4 minutes to change accounts. Good effort.

Rock Strongo
03-11-2012, 03:01 PM
I'm still a true believer of the Ivanisevic scenario. Maybe Fed will finish at Wimby next year, but not this year.

Hitman
03-11-2012, 03:02 PM
I'm still a true believer of the Ivanisevic scenario. Maybe Fed will finish at Wimby next year, but not this year.

The Ivanisevic scenario fits Roddick more than it does Federer.

Rock Strongo
03-11-2012, 03:07 PM
The Ivanisevic scenario fits Roddick more than it does Federer.

That's who I'm referring to as well. Compare Goran's stats at Wimby with Roddick's. Remarkably similar!

celoft
03-11-2012, 03:10 PM

More like the Sampras scenario but at Wimbledon instead of the USO. Sampras also went slamless in 2001 like Federer in 2011 and then won his last slam in 2002.

Roddick winning any slam these days looks tough. The top 4 are too strong we are not in 2001 anymore.

Hitman
03-11-2012, 03:12 PM
That's who I'm referring to as well. Compare Goran's stats at Wimby with Roddick's. Remarkably similar!

I think I would shed a tear for Roddick if he can make it a reality. Goran is my favorite player of all time, and when he won it, I couldn't be more happier. So to see Roddick, who is my sentimental favorite at Wimbledon every year until he either wins it or retires, do what Goran did would be amazing!

Hitman
03-11-2012, 03:13 PM
More like the Sampras scenario but at Wimbledon instead of the USO. Sampras also went slamless in 2001 like Federer in 2011 and then won his last slam in 2002.

Roddick winning any slam these days looks tough. The top 4 are too strong we are not in 2001 anymore.

This is the one that fits Federer for sure.

MichaelNadal
03-11-2012, 05:16 PM
I think I would shed a tear for Roddick if he can make it a reality. Goran is my favorite player of all time, and when he won it, I couldn't be more happier. So to see Roddick, who is my sentimental favorite at Wimbledon every year until he either wins it or retires, do what Goran did would be amazing!

I was rooting for him big time in 2009, if he won another slam id be ecstatic.

Daized
03-11-2012, 06:18 PM
People are also forgetting to mention that 2010 Wimbledon Federer had a leg injury hampering him the entire time. He went five sets with Falla in the 1st round ffs.

monfed
03-11-2012, 06:34 PM
People are also forgetting to mention that 2010 Wimbledon Federer had a leg injury hampering him the entire time. He went five sets with Falla in the 1st round ffs.

Not to mention Fed's dominance of Wimbledon upto 2009 was at par if not greater than Nadal's dominance of RG. As in he'd lost only 1 match in a 7 year period. Fed came tantalisingly close to losing to Falla.

nadalwon2012
03-11-2012, 06:56 PM

That was an interesting late diagnosis from Federer. "Leg" injury, yep.

kishnabe
03-11-2012, 06:59 PM

He managed....at least he didn't humiliate himself.

2011 he was beaten playing real well....Tsonga was unreadable on serve that day.

Had one good return each from set 3-5.

2012....Maybe he won't win Wimbledon but Olympics he has a real good chance there. Maybe that is his last touching moment.

kishnabe
03-11-2012, 07:01 PM
It was not Leg but a Back Injury.....If you watch all the short shots Federer was hitting.....it wasn't a surprise...

If Federer injury was fake....then all of Nadal injuries are fake. Which means Nadal a bigger unclassy jerk than Federer.

nadalwon2012
03-11-2012, 07:09 PM
It was not Leg but a Back Injury.....If you watch all the short shots Federer was hitting.....it wasn't a surprise...

If Federer injury was fake....then all of Nadal injuries are fake. Which means Nadal a bigger unclassy jerk than Federer.

http://www.cbssports.com/tennis/story/13584585/champ-slipping-on-court-starting-to-miss-at-class-too/
Nobody goes on forever -- even Federer, who, in denial, seemingly thinks he will and seeks reasons other than the apparent ones.

He blamed a leg injury, mentioned a sore back. "When I did have my chances I played poorly," said Federer. "If I'm healthy, I can handle those guys."

Berdych, a 24-year-old Czech whose potential had been his burden, deserved better. And said as much.

"I don't know if he's looking for excuses," Berdych said of Federer, "It's happened to all of us [the injuries]. I was playing well."

Which Federer, who has won Wimbledon six times, who has won a record 16 Grand Slams overall, barely acknowledged.

A wild few days at the All England Lawn Tennis Club. Monday, Andy Roddick, who lost to Federer in the 2009 final, was ousted. Tuesday, five-time champion Venus Williams was upset. Now Federer.

But there is a difference between Venus and Roger.

When someone asked Venus if "there were any niggles or injury worries you could put down to the fact you didn't play your best," she answered, "I don't talk about injuries, ever."

The talk at Wimbledon is whether one of the four other semifinalists can take advantage of Federer's departure. Berdych will face Novak Djokovic, who beat Yen-Hsun Lu 6-3, 6-2, 6-2 in 1 hour, 51 minutes.

The other semi is Rafael Nadal against the almost hometown hero, Scotsman Andy Murray. Nadal was a 3-6, 6-3, 7-6, 6-4 winner over Robin Soderling, while Murray, trying to become the first Brit to take men's singles in 74 years, defeated Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-7, 7-6, 6-2, 6-2.

Federer was the No. 1 seed. He had played in the final every year since 2003. But from the start, his first match, against Alejandro Falla, when he lost the first two sets, the once supreme man from Switzerland seemed vulnerable.

When athletes start to fade, they are the last to admit it. Everyone gets old. Everyone loses his fastball or his first step or his racquet speed. Federer isn't quite where Willie Mays was in his 40s, almost an embarrassment, but the decline in tennis is rapid.

Always there's another 18-year-old or 20-year-old -- or as Berdych, 24-year-old -- across the net, another kid who can chase down your best and make you look your worst.

"Quarters is a decent result," Federer insisted.

For some. Not for a player who had not missed advancing to a semifinal of the Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon or U.S. Open since he was stopped in the third round of the '04 French.

Not for the player who needed only one more title to tie William Renshaw, from back in the 1880s, and Pete Sampras, from not-so-far back in the 1990s, at seven Wimbledon men's championships.

"Obviously, people think the quarters is shocking," Federer said. "But people would die to play in the quarterfinal stages of a Grand Slam. It's not something I'm used to doing, losing in the quarterfinals. ... I was struggling with my own game and my own [physical condition]."

Berdych, the 12th seed, defeated Federer the previous time they played, in March at Miami, and also reached the semis of the French Open. Maybe he's ascending as Federer is sinking.

Or maybe this was an aberration. Still, Federation needed to be more magnanimous.

"You can take it both ways," Berdych said. "You can say that he was unlucky or you can say that the opponent was a little bit better and he just won the big points against him. In his position, then he lost the match."

Federer was less effective than normal, or what had been normal, on returns. Berdych took advantage to hit winners.

"That's his game," said Federer, who had won eight of the 10 previous matches between the two, including one at Wimbledon in 2006.

"[Wednesday] he took a lot of chances. I tried to slice it. I tried to play aggressive. I had my chances. I don't think I need to change much. ... I definitely gave away this match, I feel."

What Roger Federer didn't give were words of praise for Tomas Berdych, who very much deserved them.

Oh yeah, back injury. I see now.

FlashFlare11
03-11-2012, 07:13 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/tennis/story/13584585/champ-slipping-on-court-starting-to-miss-at-class-too/

Oh yeah, back injury. I see now.

Yeah, Federer gets an injury once a year (sometimes less) and makes it fairly obvious through his play, yet it's fake. Nadal is injured (with a different injury each time) after almost every loss, and it isn't evident in his play, but it's real.

Very interesting logic here.

Hood_Man
03-11-2012, 07:18 PM

Nothing late about it, take note of his right leg:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ash_lee392/119823245-1.jpg

nadalwon2012
03-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Nothing late about it, take note of his right leg:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ash_lee392/119823245-1.jpg

And the leg injury is why he lost to Berdych, right?

Hood_Man
03-11-2012, 07:25 PM
The heavy strapping he has on his right leg, poking out of the bottom of his shorts (just above the knee).

FlashFlare11
03-11-2012, 07:26 PM
And the leg injury is why he lost to Berdych, right?

It's pretty clear Federer was hurt at Wimbledon 2010. He dropped three sets in the first two rounds and was totally blown off court by Berdych. Tsonga, who is a much better player than Federer, couldn't totally blow Federer off court in 2011.

jackson vile
03-12-2012, 11:56 AM
It's pretty clear Federer was hurt at Wimbledon 2010. He dropped three sets in the first two rounds and was totally blown off court by Berdych. Tsonga, who is a much better player than Federer, couldn't totally blow Federer off court in 2011.

It is an interesting point. Many claim that Federer is not as injury prone as the other players, however it seem the contrary. Some injuries Federer shares, some he does not.

Cup8489
03-12-2012, 12:04 PM
It is an interesting point. Many claim that Federer is not as injury prone as the other players, however it seem the contrary. Some injuries Federer shares, some he does not.

Well he doesn't have the huge problematic injuries that some other guys get. most of his have to do with his lower body, like his legs or ankles, and the back has always been problematic. He manages it well enough, but sometimes things happen.

And nadalwon2012 being unwilling to admit it doesn't surprise me, but the strapping was there throughout the tournament. After Fed went two sets down to falla, it seemed pretty obvious he wasn't up to par.

Mustard
03-12-2012, 12:06 PM

Roddick isn't as crazy a personality as Ivanisevic, though. Ivanisevic always had the tools in his game to be a multiple major winner, particularly at Wimbledon, but his mental instablity (not weakness) held him back. I often wonder how different Ivanisevic's career would have been had he won 1992 Wimbledon, and gotten the monkey off his back at age 20. Roddick, on the other hand, is much more stable mentally and just hasn't quite been good enough to win Wimbledon. 2009 was a major chance for Roddick, and I can't see him doing it now, not with Nadal, Federer, Djokovic and Murray about.

FlashFlare11
03-12-2012, 12:13 PM

Well, I never believed he was less vulnerable to injuries. His game just minimizes the risk of injury more than say Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray. But Federer can still be subject to the same injuries they get.

I made a huge typo in my post, by the way. Meant to say Tsonga is a better player than Berdych, not Federer.

jackson vile
03-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Well, I never believed he was less vulnerable to injuries. His game just minimizes the risk of injury more than say Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray. But Federer can still be subject to the same injuries they get.

I made a huge typo in my post, by the way. Meant to say Tsonga is a better player than Berdych, not Federer.

I knew what you meant, you are a pretty fair person :) Back to the topic, I am not sure that he is less prone to injury. Remember my post I made about him recalling some of the four injuries he incurred during the year when asked about his losses in 2011. That is the same year he talked about the "tired" groin right before Wim. 2011, however if you look at the strapping from back in 2010 it very could have something to do with that?

There is a lot of sliding during the clay court season and it is very easy to pull that area when doing so. I wonder if that injury, though not as bad, is still present to some degree. For most of these players it seems the injuries are chronic, not acute or stats as acute and then becomes chronic?

Fed Kennedy
03-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Ferrer not likely to win wimbledon

FlashFlare11
03-12-2012, 01:04 PM
I knew what you meant, you are a pretty fair person :) Back to the topic, I am not sure that he is less prone to injury. Remember my post I made about him recalling some of the four injuries he incurred during the year when asked about his losses in 2011. That is the same year he talked about the "tired" groin right before Wim. 2011, however if you look at the strapping from back in 2010 it very could have something to do with that?

There is a lot of sliding during the clay court season and it is very easy to pull that area when doing so. I wonder if that injury, though not as bad, is still present to some degree. For most of these players it seems the injuries are chronic, not acute or stats as acute and then becomes chronic?

Well, first of all, let me just say thank you! Coming from you, that really means a lot. You have been an absolute joy to post with in the past week! :)

Now, your question is very difficult to answer. You bring up a lot of good points, especially about the clay season. There's a possibilty that it is still there, though possibly not to remotely the same degree. However, Federer hasn't said anything about that injury since last year, so it's very hard to tell. If it is chronic, then maybe we may see it flare up during the clay season again (hopefully not!).

jackson vile
03-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Ferrer not likely to win wimbledon

Well done... Well done...

Romismak
03-12-2012, 01:57 PM
No. I would say Wimbledon is 2nd best chance for slam after USO.

AO is his worst slam how he became older, because it is slow HC, everyone can play on HC and slow means movement and deffense are more important there and both things will decline with age.

RG with new balls is better, because not everyone can play on clay and Roger is great clay-courter by himself, but he will never beat Rafa there. His only chance is Rafa is eliminited before his match with him and in F somebody will be tight like Soderling was.

Wimbledon - he is still probably best grass-court player right now, but he wonīt beat Rafa in F or SF match- too slow grass-destroyed, his chances against Rafa would be bigger in R1,R2 of Wimbledon. Besides Rafa guys in form like Tsonga, Berdych can beat him again - big serve , big agressive FH this it the way to beat Roger on grass i think. Besides those 3 guys canīt imagine Nole beat him , Delpo moves still bad on grass and Roger normally knows how to handle him, Murray is question, he knows how to play Roger but they never met on other surface than HC.

USO - his best chance if USO will be fast again. Roger need real Decoturf - fast HC, than he can use his serve, FH, net game, play agressive. I believe USO is his best chance, he has bigger chance there to beat Rafa than at Wimbledon, Noleīs chances are higher here, but he can beat Murray here, and also he has better chance against Berdych, Tsonga here. Delpo is big question but normally Roger can handle him.