PDA

View Full Version : Volkl V1 Classic Mid Plus

bemarmor3
03-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Anyone play with this racquet. I read that is a virtual extension of the arm and consequently, it is very arm friendly, yet it has a stiffness rating of 69. I did demo the racquet but with only one week of playing with the racquet couldn't really tell if problems would arise. The one thing i didn't like was the thickness of the beam. Anyone that could help me with the arm friendliness of the racquet would be much appreciated.

jnd28
03-11-2012, 09:02 AM
I think that the v1 is incredibly arm friendly. I started playing with it when I had an arm injury and it was almost therapeutic. I have since recommended it to many who have TE issues and all have been thankful for the advise. A couple claim that the racquet is the reason they are still able to play. There is a reason that this frame has been in constant production for so many years ....

Jnd28

Pneumated1
03-11-2012, 09:14 AM
I hit a few serves with my wife's PB-V1 yesterday and was amazed at the plushness of the frame. It serves flat bombs. As of yesterday, my wife has decided to abandon any aspirations of learning tennis, so I'll either need to sell the frame or lead it up and mess around with it myself. I'm starting to think that this frame with a heavy leather grip and lead in the throat and hoop could be a monster for the flat driver of the ball and serve/volleyer.

That said, I've heard better things about the Classic.

YesTennis
03-11-2012, 10:47 AM
The new Organix V1 is supposed to be available at TW on 3/15/12. It is supposed to be for the more modern player. Agree with above that the Classic V1 is for someone who hits the ball flatter. Check some older threads about the V1 and you'll find some very helpful information from Tennis Maverick(the expert) on these racquets

droliver
03-11-2012, 10:50 AM
The V1's a "game improvement" wide body stick that's more suited to 2.0-3.0 type players and women. It's too powerful for most male players I'd suggest

mctennis
03-11-2012, 11:29 AM
The V1 is a great racquet. Arm friendly and user friendly. I'm not so sure about droliver's remarks here. A couple of club pros where I go still use the V1. They even use them in their tournaments.

jnd28
03-11-2012, 11:29 AM
The V1's a "game improvement" wide body stick that's more suited to 2.0-3.0 type players and women. It's too powerful for most male players I'd suggest

I cannot agree. Have you played with it or are you judging from specs only?
I know many 4.0 -5.0 players who use this frame. I think it's pretty string dependent the frame was popular before poly strings were around. Most of the guys that I know who use it are pretty old school using gut or multi strung at pretty high tensions. Fwiw

bemarmor3
03-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks to all those who responded to the question of the Volkl Classic

SystemicAnomaly
03-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Don't let that stiffness rating mislead you. It's shock dampening is so good that the low weight and stiffness are offset. I tried nearly 20 rackets last year and only one came close for me in terms of arm-friendliness.

jackcrawford
03-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Don't let that stiffness rating mislead you. It's shock dampening is so good that the low weight and stiffness are offset. I tried nearly 20 rackets last year and only one came close for me in terms of arm-friendliness.Agreed - I've played the V1 Midplus series for the past five years, and settled on the Classic a year ago over the DNX and Powerbridge versions; it's very comfortable even with a full bed of poly at mid-tension (55).