PDA

View Full Version : Garcia-Lopez' Best One-handed Backhand in today's game! Video

lendlmac
03-11-2012, 09:44 AM
His backhand destroyed #4 ranked Murray..to avenge his AO loss...

Better than Gasguet, Almagro, Federer and Wrarwinka...just saying...enjoy the BACKHAND! :) :twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC2jrlzB_GM&feature=related

svijk
03-11-2012, 10:04 AM
dont think so dude...just saying :)

Fed beat Murray a week ago, how come he doesn't have the best bh...per your logic

lendlmac
03-11-2012, 10:42 AM
dont think so dude...just saying :)

Fed beat Murray a week ago, how come he doesn't have the best bh...per your logic

when looking at Federer's backhand it is not fluid, it is mechanical, garcia-lopez is fluid, natrual motion....Federer works at his backhand, Garcia lopes doesn't, it's natural...

am not saying he's a better player than anyone, just he's got the best one-handed backhand out of the top 20 guys, he beat Murray alone with his backhand..Roger beats you all around court game, Garcia lopez was all about the backhand down the line, cross-court, drop shot and slice....all backhand...dominated the #4 player, at 100% healthy and fit!

just saying... :)

luishcorreia
03-11-2012, 10:53 AM
A thread like this was so predictable ;)

No..it isnt.

norbac
03-11-2012, 10:56 AM
when looking at Federer's backhand it is not fluid, it is mechanical, garcia-lopez is fluid, natrual motion....Federer works at his backhand, Garcia lopes doesn't, it's natural...

am not saying he's a better player than anyone, just he's got the best one-handed backhand out of the top 20 guys, he beat Murray alone with his backhand..Roger beats you all around court game, Garcia lopez was all about the backhand down the line, cross-court, drop shot and slice....all backhand...dominated the #4 player, at 100% healthy and fit!

The inside out forehand played a big part in GGL's win as well.

Mainad
03-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Now I expect him to go on and win the title! No excuses! :wink:

Borrelli
03-11-2012, 11:27 AM
You can't see anybody's backhand in that video, just Nadal's neon shirt.

Sid_Vicious
03-11-2012, 12:20 PM

Have you ever watched Federer hit a backhand?

There is nothing unnatural about this one hander. As a matter of fact, Federer's backhand is actually smoother than Garcia-Lopezs' backhand. Gasquet's backhand looks far more mechanical than either Garcia Lopez or Federers' one hander but it is much more powerful .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEoDXUPzQXM&feature=related

This is a "mechanical" and un-natural one hander.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mdvcnu8V-5U#t=43s

Bobby Jr
03-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Have you ever watched Federer hit a backhand?

There is nothing unnatural about this one hander. As a matter of fact, Federer's backhand is actually smoother than Garcia-Lopezs' backhand.
This ^.... you saved me saying it.

jackson vile
03-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Yea, I remember this match. What is his H2H vs Nadal? Great backhand that was not limited, he could deal with any shot to the backhand side. That is a great backhand onehanded or not.

Better than Gasguet, Almagro, Federer and Wrarwinka...just saying...enjoy the BACKHAND! :) :twisted:

lendlmac
03-11-2012, 04:58 PM
This ^.... you saved me saying it.

Fail. Federer even admits and everyone knows Federer's backhand is his weakest shot in his arsenal, by far

Federer hitsnbackhand topspin....Garcia Lopez is pure flat everytime, natural....Federer struggles on the backhand side

Just saying. :)

Sid_Vicious
03-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Fail. Federer even admits and everyone knows Federer's backhand is his weakest shot in his arsenal, by far

Federer hitsnbackhand topspin....Garcia Lopez is pure flat everytime, natural....Federer struggles on the backhand side

Just saying. :)

Yeah, it is Roger Federer's weaker stroke. Don't be a simpleton. Federer's backhand is only weak when you put up against his amazing forehand. His backhand can give him issues when he plays Nadal/Djokovic, but he has no trouble kicking 99% of the tour's arse with it.

Yeah, I would love to see how Garcia-Lopez's one hander holds up against Nadal/Djokovic in the SF/Final of a grand slam. :lol:

Lol @ "pure flat everytime". I wonder why he couldn't clobber those pure flat backhands in this rally against Federer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kvcDLNos7zw#t=127s

Get real, if Garcia-Lopez could hit pure flat backhands on every backhand stroke, he would have accomplished a lot more than what he has currently.

Just sayin :)

magnut
03-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Nope....Gasquet is #1. Fed Is #2

All time top three

Edberg
Gasquet
Fed

Single best ever (because thats really important on these forums)

Gasquet

Most purdy....easy answer, its Edberg

kishnabe
03-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Nope....Gasquet is #1. Fed Is #2

All time top three

Edberg
Gasquet
Fed

Single best ever (because thats really important on these forums)

Gasquet

Most purdy....easy answer, its Edberg

I would put Edberg,Kuerten, Becker, Lendl over Gasquet and Federer

magnut
03-11-2012, 06:21 PM
I would put Edberg,Kuerten, Becker, Lendl over Gasquet and Federer

Nope. You are wrong and will be reported to the proper authorities.

Becker and Lendl had fairly one dimentional backhands. They could hit it hard though. Lendl's could break down and he would slice a lot. Kuerten's developed as his career progressed (it was his weaker side early on).

Edberg probably goes at the top but I am a little bias. Gasquet's is better on every surface with maybe the exception of grass. Edbergs was nicer looking though. Federer probably has the best in terms of returning and taking it early. The way people dis Federers backhand is laughable. Its one of the all time GOAT backhands. He can consistently take it off the rise like a ping pong ball.

kishnabe
03-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Nope. You are wrong and will be reported to the proper authorities.

Becker and Lendl had fairly one dimentional backhands. They could hit it hard though. Lendl's could break down and he would slice a lot. Kuerten's developed as his career progressed (it was his weaker side early on).

Edberg probably goes at the top but I am a little bias. Gasquet's is better on every surface with maybe the exception of grass. Edbergs was nicer looking though. Federer probably has the best in terms of returning and taking it early. The way people dis Federers backhand is laughable. Its one of the all time GOAT backhands. He can consistently take it off the rise like a ping pong ball.

Who are the proper authorities!?

Lendl had a weak backhand in the beginning but towards 1983 and later he started going over the ball better. It is mechanical at times but still a very good backhand...especially his returns.

Becker has amazing backhand returns.....well from the ones I saw from his Wimbledon matches.

Kuerten amazing backhand angles....and he can a good running dtl backhand.

Federer as a good backhand he has....he isn't aggressive with it...just hits deep puff backhands in order to get a position for his forehand.

Edberg was a magician with his backhand side.

magnut
03-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Nope...Becker, lendl's, and Gugas backhands were not Goat shots. Becker was hot and cold all the time. Lendle was pretty defensive. Gugas was good on clay and thats about it. Could not return with it at all.

From that era Korda's backhand was better than all of them as was Pioline's.

Federer plays agresive with his backhand at times but he has so many different shots to work with it just doers not stick out as much as others. I am not a Federer freak or anthing but he has an amazing one hander. Its realy only against Nadal that he has ever struggled with it and any player will have trouble with that shot (even two handers)

Nostradamus
03-11-2012, 06:59 PM

Nah, i like warinka's 1-hander much better

Bobby Jr
03-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Yeah, it is Roger Federer's weaker stroke. Don't be a simpleton. Federer's backhand is only weak when you put up against his amazing forehand. His backhand can give him issues when he plays Nadal/Djokovic, but he has no trouble kicking 99% of the tour's arse with it.
This, again ^..

...saved me schooling Lendlmac on his post.

Lendlmac's call was: "when looking at Federer's backhand it is not fluid, it is mechanical"... which is patently wrong and obvious to anyone who knows anything about one handed backhands.

Bobby Jr
03-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Becker has amazing backhand returns.....well from the ones I saw from his Wimbledon matches.
Becker was known for being streaky and errant with his backhand - which he often hit late.

The footage you see of him are often highlights: of him going for broke. Of course he was a legend at those shots - but many times his wayward backhands cost him matches.

Bobby Jr
03-11-2012, 07:41 PM
...Federer as a good backhand he has....he isn't aggressive with it...just hits deep puff backhands in order to get a position for his forehand.

Edberg was a magician with his backhand side.
If Federer just hits deep puff backhands, which he doesn't but we'll assume you're right for a second, and that is a failing in his game then what was Edberg using his backhand for then? Deep puffs to set up for rushing the net?

You can't have it both ways. Federer has hit more blinding backhand winners than any 1hbh pro on tour, and probably more than all but a handful of 2hbh players too. He just usually also has an error rate which sticks out relative to his forehand.

BevelDevil
03-11-2012, 08:17 PM
- It's interesting that there seem to be a lot of Spaniards with 1hbhs, good ones. Did they just not get the memo from the Bolletieri academy?

- Too bad GGL is 28. When I first saw this thread, I was praying he was a young up-and-comer.

- I wonder how Edberg's backhand would hold up on the slower surfaces and topspin of today. Probably not as well.

- GGL's backhand seems stiffer than Fed or Wawrinkas. His racket seems to stop perfectly vertical and inline with his shoulders. From an aesthetic point of view, I think this makes it less "elegant" or "beautiful," and more "mechanical," than Fed's stroke. Good shot though.

- Anyone find any close-up, slowmotion vids of GGL's backhand?

Bobby Jr
03-11-2012, 09:15 PM
- Anyone find any close-up, slowmotion vids of GGL's backhand?
No, but one observation from the match was how sneaky he was a changing his grip on his backhand. A few of the slow-mo segments he has his backhand half back like ready to hit over it and almost as he started his forward swing he changed grips and hit a drop-shot. It was nicely done.

Also - he gets the Segri Breguera forehand similarity award. He has less whip/fling with it but it's definitely from the same family of claycourt forehands.

magnut
03-12-2012, 05:09 AM
- I wonder how Edberg's backhand would hold up on the slower surfaces and topspin of today. Probably not as well.

As straight forward as his strokes were they actually held up very well on slower surfaces. Even into a French Open final which he should have won. I dont attribute it to his strokes though as much as I do his movement. Edberg was actually very good from the baseline. Kind of a tactical all courter when he was not serve and volleying straight up. I would even veture to say top 5 in terms of transitional players. Better than Federer when using the entire court.

Would he have trouble with Nadals forehand on clay....absolutely. You wont find a player that doesnt. Its just physics. Anything above ones shoulders is going to cause problembs for a player.

sureshs
03-12-2012, 05:35 AM
Garcia-Lopex has a smoother and safer backhand than Federer.

magnut
03-12-2012, 05:51 AM
Garcia-Lopex has a smoother and safer backhand than Federer.

LOL :)

Rusedski has better backhand than Federer. :shock:

lendlmac
03-12-2012, 03:35 PM
today, on Prime Time, in front of the world, everyone will see again, if not the first time, the best one-handed backhand in the gamne today...

not the player, just "the shot" :)

From sources, he iolized Pete Sampras as a kid, he even walks like Pete Sampras on the court, with a little swagger when he walks...look for it..it's neat and "in your face", his little walking swagger" LOL

But the backhand will be moving Harrison from side to side.. LOL :twisted:

just saying

Bobby Jr
03-12-2012, 03:59 PM
...I dont attribute it to his strokes though as much as I do his movement. Edberg was actually very good from the baseline. Kind of a tactical all courter when he was not serve and volleying straight up. I would even veture to say top 5 in terms of transitional players...
He was so sneaky too. The amount of times it'd be a baseline exchange - with no noticeable short shot from his opponent - and suddenly he was volleying the next shot from the service line on his way to the net.... He had an amazing sense of when his opponent was about to hit a slightly high or floaty ball and just sprung into action. He could throw opponents out of their groove at the flick of a switch and make them rush their shots.

IvanisevicServe
03-13-2012, 12:58 AM
I would guess Wawrinka hits the most BH winners of any player on tour, as far as per match stats are concerned. I can't remember the website I found a long time ago that tracked those numbers, though.

OTMPut
03-13-2012, 06:11 AM
You would think Fed has the weakest b/h and just then, he comes up with a sick passing shot (with a deft flick of a wrist) off that wing. If i remember correctly he saved a match point with one such pure artistry against nadal at Wimby.