PDA

View Full Version : (Flexible) Head Radical Oversize and (Stiff) Lux Strings

portpass1974
03-11-2012, 02:25 PM
I just demoed the Head Radical IG Oversize and it was absolutely fantastic. I used to play with one of the original OS Agassi Radicals back in the 1990s and I almost forgot how incredible the feel, control and spin was with the racquet.

The only thing is that it's REALLY flexible, of course (which is probably why it felt so nice and I had so much control). Nonetheless, the demo had some Head non-poly string probably at 53 pounds, which is the average tension written right on the racquet, and I always play with Lux at around 70 pounds or so.

If I put Lux at 70 pounds into the Radical OS, what would the difference be again? I would get more spin, more control, a less power and less feel, right? Or, would the power be about the same since the Lux strings are so much stiffer?

Also, if I put some lead tape at the 3 and 9 positions on the head, would that "stiffen" it up a bit, or should I put some tape on the neck, which I hear can made racquets a little stiffer? I'm not an expert. Any help would be much appreciated.

Andyroo10567
03-11-2012, 08:42 PM
70lb might be too much, try 65 or something.

limitup
06-11-2012, 05:55 PM
I know this is an old thread but I'm curious what the OP ended up doing with the tension. lux @ 65lbs in any racquet seems pretty high to me. I've always thought that stiff lux strings go very well with flexible racquets (I played with a flexpoint radical for years) and I always just string on the low side of whatever is recommended (I think lux recommends 5 lbs less than whatever is recommended by the manufacturer). In the case of the IG radical oversize that would be about 47 which seems crazy low, so I'm thinking of trying it around 52 lbs or so. OP if you read this, let me know what you ended up doing and if you like it!

Xonemains
06-11-2012, 08:21 PM
the head rad OS models are not that high in power, even though its OS.

65 lbs for lux is still too high. try doing 52-56 lbs!

remember we are talking about Luxilon here, stiff like anthing.

portpass1974
06-12-2012, 10:04 AM
I know this is an old thread but I'm curious what the OP ended up doing with the tension. lux @ 65lbs in any racquet seems pretty high to me. I've always thought that stiff lux strings go very well with flexible racquets (I played with a flexpoint radical for years) and I always just string on the low side of whatever is recommended (I think lux recommends 5 lbs less than whatever is recommended by the manufacturer). In the case of the IG radical oversize that would be about 47 which seems crazy low, so I'm thinking of trying it around 52 lbs or so. OP if you read this, let me know what you ended up doing and if you like it!

Actually, believe it or not, I strung my Radical OS with Luxilon at about 70, and it was fantastic. I was a bit stiff at first, but it loosened up after a while and I got great spin and control from it.

chizzle
06-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Not that I am officially making the switch, yet - but... wow, it may be time for me to make the switch. A buddy of mine switched to this stick last fall and has been playing so well ever since...

My typical setup is Head IGPMP with Black Widow... I like to dabble and can't get over the sexiness of certain sticks like BLXPS90 (or any of the 90s). For ref, I'm a solid 4.5 player in ATL, GA area - with great strokes - who until today tried to rely on fitness too much to win matches. Not pushing so much as not hitting out every time I should...

So today, I start with the BLXPS90, get down a break quickly 0-3 and down 0-40, but serve 4 straight bombs to get out of that hole and eventually win the game. I fight back to 4-4 though, and I realize this racquet is a work in progress. The 90, a great serving and such a sweet stick to hold, but after today, I am sure it's not for me (sadly).

After a work break, another buddy shows up with a Volkl C10 Pro. Amazing feeling in the hands, hit some big, nasty FHs to break, but I lost my edge and lost the set 7-5 (it had full multi in it, so that wasn't working for me for sure).

All the while, my buddy is telling me to get my Prestige back out. But, today's a "who cares" day, and I (hoping to hit my stride) decide start back with the 90. I hold my own, get to 2-3. And finally he pressures me into trying his RadOS with RPM 18 mains and Timo 18 crosses at 62lbs. I look down on such frames. What? A 107 si racket - nope not for me - I am too good for that.

Anyhow, from that point, I was ripping balls like never before on my FH, w/o even worry of missing (I mean I finally tried to miss some and I did; hitting too flat thru the court). Mean kick serves (probably a lot to do with the string set up), and volleys quite well too. I got tired, and couldn't close it out at 5-4, but did at 6-5. My BH is a WIP as well, but I was just getting tired at the end... (feet slowed and shoulder/hips not turning :) )

I am going to play with it in my makeup USTA match this week as well. Excited to see and play aggressive.

I say all that to say, I was wrong, this is nice in the hands of good players too.

Korso
06-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Actually, believe it or not, I strung my Radical OS with Luxilon at about 70, and it was fantastic. I was a bit stiff at first, but it loosened up after a while and I got great spin and control from it.

Man I wish my shoulder was a strong as yours.

mad dog1
06-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Man I wish my shoulder was a strong as yours.

yeah, no kidding. for my TT Rad Tour OS, i go 54/55# on a CP machine using the JC/JET method for full poly.

limitup
06-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Wow I can't imagine 70 lbs of lux. Thanks for the reply!

TonLars
06-12-2012, 07:12 PM
What level player are you? 70 pounds alu power would be way too boardy for me. I use the radical os and go with alu power at 62-63 tops, usually 61. solinco tour bite at 61-62 also. I cant imagine getting good pop at 70.