PDA

View Full Version : Fed/Raonic

nethawkwenatchee
03-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Ok... Here we go with Federer versus young Milos Raonic. I think this is much anticipated, given Milos's style and success over the past two seasons. Does Milos have the tools to give the king a run?

monfed
03-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Fed's gonna have his hands full against Meelosh,methinks

Love all
03-11-2012, 08:24 PM
what's doing this thread in pro discussion forum?

kishnabe
03-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Raonic in 5.

MichaelNadal
03-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Spoilerrrrrr.... but anyway, the Maestro in 2.

PCXL-Fan
03-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Someday in a few years Milos will have a several steps further improved ground game to compliment his formidable serve. When that year arrives he could travel in timemachine back to 2012 to give 2012-form Federer a run for his money. Right now, not so much...

Federer in 2.

Clarky21
03-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Roger in 2. Fed fans are getting wound up about this match for nothing.

MichaelNadal
03-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Roger in 2. Fed fans are getting wound up about this match for nothing.

Exactly, Hewitt beat Raonic.

svijk
03-11-2012, 08:48 PM
if Melzer can beat Raonic, Fed should do it too...2 sets

firefox
03-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Fed caught the flu :cry:

Xizel
03-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Raonic in 5.

Loved this.

Raonic will be another Tomic. A youngster being showcased Federer's exhibition.

monfed
03-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Fed caught the flu :cry:

Can someone confirm this? Commentators mentioned it.

FlashFlare11
03-11-2012, 09:01 PM

Really? Was it before the tournament or just before the match?

Last time he performed badly at IW/MI he had a lung infection, and we all know how the rest of 2010 panned out.

cc0509
03-11-2012, 09:02 PM

I did not hear it myself but supposedly one of the commentators said Mirka and the kids have some virus and Federer caught it from them. Hopefully he will feel better for his next match.

SStrikerR
03-11-2012, 09:04 PM
From what I've heard a few players have retired from the flu, and that others are suffering from symptoms. So it's a possibility. I think he'll be fine.

FlashFlare11
03-11-2012, 09:05 PM
I did not hear it myself but supposedly one of the commentators said Mirka and the kids have some virus and Federer caught it from them. Hopefully he will feel better for his next match.

First the arm, now the flu. I hope it doesn't deter his momentum. He didn't look that great tonight. Made some uncharacterstic mistakes.

Talker
03-11-2012, 09:06 PM
I'll take fed.

Raonic is going to be monster on the courts soon.

monfed
Really? Was it before the tournament or just before the match?

Before the match. Apparently the flu struck other players and they pulled out,can't remember the names though.

Last time he performed badly at IW/MI he had a lung infection, and we all know how the rest of 2010 panned out.

Gosh, Yes, if he had pulled through he'd have broken Pete's record. :(

cc0509
First the arm, now the flu. I hope it doesn't deter his momentum. He didn't look that great tonight. Made some uncharacterstic mistakes.

Yeah, he looked a little green to me but hopefully it is just a short-term bug.

FlashFlare11
03-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Before the match. Apparently the flu struck other players and they pulled out,can't remember the names though.

Gosh, Yes, if he had pulled through he'd have broken Pete's record. :(
I had heard some players pulled out due to a stomach virus (Monfils might be the highest seed in the Men's side). But hopefully that's not what Federer has.

Yeah, me too.

monfed
03-11-2012, 09:10 PM

Yup. I also noticed how quickly he was serving today(not the serve speed obviously but the rhthym of the serve), really looked like he wanted the job done fast.

jayoub95
03-11-2012, 09:11 PM
Feds will win in 2. Raonic can give away a lot of freebies

FlashFlare11
03-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Yup. I also noticed how quickly he was serving today(not the serve speed obviously but the rhthym of the serve), really looked like he wanted the job done fast.

That's an excellent observation! I only noticed his forehand wasn't as consistent, and he missed a few sitters and volleys, ones he'd normally make.

Bobby Jr
03-11-2012, 09:53 PM
He looked a little meh! for sure.

He def wanted to get off the court quick - some of the forehands he hit were monsters.. some in, some out unfortunately.

Apun94
03-12-2012, 12:32 AM
Ok... Here we go with Federer versus young Milos Raonic. I think this is much anticipated, given Milos's style and success over the past two seasons. Does Milos have the tools to give the king a run?

ARE YOU HIGH??? REALLY? JEEZ! Raonic, atm, is a good player with a huge serve but hes still not good enuf to trouble the biggest guns. I just dont get it why people rate Raonic so high. ATM hes not that good. A huge serve and a good forehand only does not get u to be the best in the world. He may get there but not rite now.
You just CANNOT compare Fed and Raonic atm. Fed is just too good. Remember Raonic just lost to Melzer couple of weeks ago. Now do u REALLY think he has a shot at beating FED??!!

Paul Murphy
03-12-2012, 12:36 AM

Excerpt from an AAP story:

The Swiss master said he was also feeling a bit sick, but not as bad as his family members and not enough to be thrown off his game.
Federer hammered eight aces and won 79 per cent of his first serve points in the 57 minute contest.
``We are fighting something of our own in our family,'' said Federer, who is travelling with his wife and two young twin daughters.
``I have a bit of a combination. Not a terrible temperature but I have some things going on. I am the best off in the family. The rest of them are struggling much more.''

joechiang
03-12-2012, 01:17 AM
What is the secret virus?Hope Fed will be OK.

nadalwon2012
03-12-2012, 03:48 AM
If Federer loses to this Raonic klutz, he may as well retire.

TTMR
03-12-2012, 04:17 AM
A contest between Talk Tennis' two favourite active players (Nalbandian seems to have fallen off the popularity radar), exciting!

Federer wins something like 7-6, 6-4.

Of course if it were Nadal vs. Raonic, 60% of people would be talking about how Nadal wouldn't be able to handle Raonic's serve, since Nadal can't hit a return.

Also, wrong subforum.

Paul Murphy
03-12-2012, 04:23 AM
If Federer is fit and well his variety will severely trouble Raonic.
Melzer and Hewit both showed how to beat the Canadian - stay close on the scoreboard, give him different looks when returning (i.e change court position - something Melzer did particularly well), be aggressive, move the big man around.
Federer is adept at moving bigger players around and making them uncomfortable - recently...
more
he's done that to Del Potro in Dubai and Rotterdam - his slices, droppers and off-pace shots are tailor made to employ against Raonic who much prefers staying at the baseline and blasting serves and forehands rather than coming forward under pressure.
I also still see the Raonic backhand as a significant liability and one that Roger will target - Raonic should be wary of the great man's
inside-out forehand which he's striking very well at the moment.
Federer may not have played him before but Roger watches lots of matches - between him and coach Paul Annacone, they'll have come up with the right game plan.
But Federer will need to serve well - if he doesn't life could get a little uncomfortable because we know Raonic is one of the toughest players to break.

vernonbc
03-12-2012, 04:28 AM
A contest between Talk Tennis' two favourite active players (Nalbandian seems to have fallen off the popularity radar), exciting!

Federer wins something like 7-6, 6-4.

Of course if it were Nadal vs. Raonic, 60% of people would be talking about how Nadal wouldn't be able to handle Raonic's serve, since Nadal can't hit a return.

LOL. So true. :-D

Remember how Raonic was supposed to take out Nadal at Wimbledon last year?

nadalwon2012
03-12-2012, 07:20 AM
If Federer is fit and well his variety will severely trouble Raonic.
Melzer and Hewit both showed how to beat the Canadian - stay close on the scoreboard, give him different looks when returning (i.e change court position - something Melzer did particularly well), be aggressive, move the big man around.
Federer is adept at moving bigger players around and making them uncomfortable - recently...
more
he's done that to Del Potro in Dubai and Rotterdam - his slices, droppers and off-pace shots are tailor made to employ against Raonic who much prefers staying at the baseline and blasting serves and forehands rather than coming forward under pressure.
I also still see the Raonic backhand as a significant liability and one that Roger will target - Raonic should be wary of the great man's
inside-out forehand which he's striking very well at the moment.
Federer may not have played him before but Roger watches lots of matches - between him and coach Paul Annacone, they'll have come up with the right game plan.
But Federer will need to serve well - if he doesn't life could get a little uncomfortable because we know Raonic is one of the toughest players to break.

Federer needs to serve as well as Nadal did when Nadal played Raonic, and then he should beat Raonic easily. Nadal has never lost a set to Raonic in 2 meetings. 7-5 6-3 and 6-4 6-4, both on hardcourt. Both at Tokyo actually.

sbengte
03-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Excerpt from an AAP story:

The Swiss master said he was also feeling a bit sick, but not as bad as his family members and not enough to be thrown off his game.
Federer hammered eight aces and won 79 per cent of his first serve points in the 57 minute contest.
``We are fighting something of our own in our family,'' said Federer, who is travelling with his wife and two young twin daughters.
``I have a bit of a combination. Not a terrible temperature but I have some things going on. I am the best off in the family. The rest of them are struggling much more.''

Just made me think of Fed and Nadal and their respective attitudes which gets discussed here frequently. (Not saying one is better than the other, just a difference between them). Fed tends to downplay his ailments probably because he is comfortable going into a match as the favorite and doesn't want to make a big deal about not feeling 100%. Whereas Nadal likes to magnify every little injury and ailment which also goes very well with his "I am never the favorite even against world no. 127" story line.

Had it been Nadal who had the illness, every headline and commentator would be screaming how an ailing Nadal bravely fought his illness and the opponent and we would hear about it for the rest of the tournament. With Fed, you wouldn't even find if he is ill unless you go read his presser in detail !

FlashFlare11
03-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Just made me think of Fed and Nadal and their respective attitudes which gets discussed here frequently. (Not saying one is better than the other, just a difference between them). Fed tends to downplay his ailments probably because he is comfortable going into a match as the favorite and doesn't want to make a big deal about not feeling 100%. Whereas Nadal likes to magnify every little injury and ailment which also goes very well with his "I am never the favorite even against world no. 127" story line.

Had it been Nadal who had the illness, every headline and commentator would be screaming how an ailing Nadal bravely fought his illness and the opponent and we would hear about it for the rest of the tournament. With Fed, you wouldn't even find if he is ill unless you go read his presser in detail !

Exactly. And who gets called the "crybaby"?

Strategy
03-12-2012, 08:50 AM
What time EST is this match?

Russeljones
03-12-2012, 08:53 AM
This thread doesn't belong here, but even an ill Swiss titan should be the favourite.

cknobman
03-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Fed's gonna spank the young pup and remind him who his daddy is: :)

Djokodal Fan
03-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Fed will eat Raindeer for Dinner!

mike84
03-12-2012, 09:57 AM
here is milos serve practice
(not my video)

one of the best camera angles......monster kick serves coming right at you (better then verdasco kick serve video) from raonic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiEVqSWOv20&feature=g-u-u&context=G229bc9dFUAAAAAAADAA

monfed
03-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Two interesting things to watch out for if you're a Fed fan -

- How will Fed handle Raonic's kicker out wide?

- How will Fed handle Raonic's inside-out FH?

joeri888
03-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Two interesting things to watch out for if you're a Fed fan -

- How will Fed handle Raonic's kicker out wide?

- How will Fed handle Raonic's inside-out FH?

How will Fed handle a virus.

hoodjem
03-12-2012, 10:24 AM
I think this is much anticipated, given Milos's style and success over the past two seasons. Does Milos have the tools to give the king a run?Elvis is playing?

monfed
03-12-2012, 10:35 AM

Fed's said he didn't get it bad like Mirka and the twins. Didn't look a 100% v/s Kudla though.

jdubbs
03-12-2012, 10:59 AM
I think if Raonic serves to Fed's BH, he's gonna get that slice and be able to do some damage.
I see Fed winning in 2 tight sets, 7-6 (5), 7-6 (3).

agentaviles
03-12-2012, 11:13 AM
I think Federer is going to take this as an opportunity to show one of these youngsters who their Daddy is. Federer 7-5, 6-4

FlashFlare11
03-12-2012, 11:37 AM
I've only seen bits and pieces of Raonic's game. How does he deal with low slices?

cc0509
03-12-2012, 11:51 AM

Very true. The only reason we know about Federer not feeling great is because the commentators in the match I was watching mentioned it and then Federer must have been asked about it in his press conference.

With Nadal and his camp, the other side of the world would know about any Nadal illness no matter how mild a week before he took to the courts!

The way Federer does it is the right way. If you take to the court you are fit enough to play and just shut up about any issues unless asked.

luishcorreia
03-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Roger.... By a landslide

Clarky21
03-12-2012, 03:08 PM
I've only seen bits and pieces of Raonic's game. How does he deal with low slices?

From what I have seen not that well. His movement also isn't great so Fed can move him around the court and force him off the baseline,which I am sure he will do. His bh is also a weakness so I look for Fed to pick on that shot quite a bit. Raonic hasn't played a player of the calibre of Fed yet,or one with Fed's variety. I think Milos is doomed to be honest. Lol.

stormholloway
03-12-2012, 03:12 PM
I like how people act like a serve and forehand aren't enough to win against the best. This is demonstrably false.

Raonic has a good head and big weapons. He doesn't have to be Federer to beat Federer. Will he? Probably not, but he's proven he's capable of winning tournaments, and he's only getting better.

Hood_Man
03-12-2012, 03:15 PM
I'm not too worried, I think Federer will do it in two.

GOAT BAAH!!!
03-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Raonic in two easy sets.

6 1
6 0

Virus or no virus, Roger has no weapons to hurt him with.

Clarky21
03-12-2012, 03:20 PM
I like how people act like a serve and forehand aren't enough to win against the best. This is demonstrably false.

Raonic has a good head and big weapons. He doesn't have to be Federer to beat Federer. Will he? Probably not, but he's proven he's capable of winning tournaments, and he's only getting better.

I agree that Milos is good and improving(boring game though,imo),but I am just not sure he can handle Fed's variety at this point. Like I said he hasn't played anyone of Fed's calibre yet in his career,or anyone with the variety Roger has. I doubt he will overcome that in only one match.

FlashFlare11
03-12-2012, 03:56 PM
From what I have seen not that well. His movement also isn't great so Fed can move him around the court and force him off the baseline,which I am sure he will do. His bh is also a weakness so I look for Fed to pick on that shot quite a bit. Raonic hasn't played a player of the calibre of Fed yet,or one with Fed's variety. I think Milos is doomed to be honest. Lol.

As expected of a power player, I suppose. I just hope Roger's feeling better tomorrow. Perhaps not tomorrow, but one day, that Raonic is going to be the guy no one wants to see in their part of the draw.

Clarky21
03-12-2012, 04:01 PM
As expected of a power player, I suppose. I just hope Roger's feeling better tomorrow. Perhaps not tomorrow, but one day, that Raonic is going to be the guy no one wants to see in their part of the draw.

I agree with you. Especially at Wimby or on the faster surfaces. He is already a nightmare to play against because of his serve alone. I do think he's good enough to scalp one of the top players,but not Roger or Djesus. Those guys just return so good at the moment that I don't think he could beat them. I guess I would throw Murray in there as well because his return game is great too.

FlashFlare11
03-12-2012, 04:30 PM
I agree with you. Especially at Wimby or on the faster surfaces. He is already a nightmare to play against because of his serve alone. I do think he's good enough to scalp one of the top players,but not Roger or Djesus. Those guys just return so good at the moment that I don't think he could beat them. I guess I would throw Murray in there as well because his return game is great too.

Well, maybe he could get a win over Djokovic if they play indoors at Paris or Shanghai. Murray is still pretty vulnerable to the odd loss here and there (like this week, for example), so I guess it's possible maybe this year. But still pretty unlikely. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a good run at Wimbledon, like Tomic did last year.

DeShaun
03-12-2012, 04:31 PM
Raonic has been moving like a tremendous machine lately. His legs have become as large as Berdych's--the kid is in fantastic shape at the moment. He has been setting up early and regularly enough to crack the felt off the ball consistently, from what little I've seen of his ground stroking in general.

jayoub95
03-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Raonics legs are massive but Berdych has the biggest quads iv'e seen in tennis haha.

FlashFlare11
03-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Raonic has been moving like a tremendous machine lately. His legs have become as large as Berdych's--the kid is in fantastic shape at the moment. He has been setting up early and regularly enough to crack the felt off the ball consistently, from what little I've seen of his ground stroking in general.

I'm not surprised at all. He always seemed to me to be kind of like Berdych or Tsonga. I saw a bit of his match against Berlocq last night and he was really cracking aces and his forehand was landing incredibly deep. In my opinion, he hits deeper on a more consistent basis than Berdych.

Towser83
03-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Federer should win, slow court won't help Raonic as much as somewhere like Cinci.Who knows though? not going to be overconfident, but if Federer lost it would be a big upset, let's face it.

Nathaniel_Near
03-12-2012, 04:43 PM
This should be a very interesting match. I think Raonic has a big future and is a natural athlete. Not only that, but he has a big game and a passion for the game. Can Raonic win Slam events in the future? Yes he can.

DeShaun
03-12-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm not surprised at all. He always seemed to me to be kind of like Berdych or Tsonga. I saw a bit of his match against Berlocq last night and he was really cracking aces and his forehand was landing incredibly deep. In my opinion, he hits deeper on a more consistent basis than Berdych.

I think Raonic and Isner are making a push right now to bring back wham bam! first strike tennis, sort of turn the tide away from Novak and Rafa, and I think Milos and John both have the tools to accomplish this.
Frankly, I could not believe how aggressively and early Isner has been seeking to take control of rallies--he like Milos has been ripping through the ball cleanly off the ground as of late.
Watch out all you grinders!

FlashFlare11
03-12-2012, 04:50 PM
I think Raonic and Isner are making a push right now to bring back wham bam! first strike tennis, sort of turn the tide away from Novak and Rafa, and I think Milos and John both have the tools to accomplish this.
Frankly, I could not believe how aggressively and early Isner has been seeking to take control of rallies--he like Milos has been ripping through the ball cleanly off the ground as of late.
Watch out all you grinders!

I was thinking the exact same thing. I know a lot of us were thinking that with the rise of Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray, we'd be seeing the rise of defensive-based tennis. But look at Dologopolov, Dimitrov, Raonic, and Harrison. None of them are grinders and all play incredibly aggressive tennis (Dologopolov not so much, but he has good touch at the net). With so many different styles coming through, the future of tennis is definitely one to look forward to!

As for Isner, I think he's underachieved so far in his career. He has an amazing serve, great net skills, and incredibly powerful groundstrokes. Hopefully, he can do more before he ends his career.

Nathaniel_Near
03-12-2012, 04:54 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing. I know a lot of us were thinking that with the rise of Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray, we'd be seeing the rise of defensive-based tennis. But look at Dologopolov, Dimitrov, Raonic, and Harrison. None of them are grinders and all play incredibly aggressive tennis (Dologopolov not so much, but he has good touch at the net). With so many different styles coming through, the future of tennis is definitely one to look forward to!

As for Isner, I think he's underachieved so far in his career. He has an amazing serve, great net skills, and incredibly powerful groundstrokes. Hopefully, he can do more before he ends his career.

Let's be honest, Harrison isn't consistently aggressive. He's often very passive and a virtual pusher - I've seen a lot of his matches. Dolgopolov plays more aggressive tennis than Harrison and shows far more improvisation. Harrison is odd, as he attacks on serve and with his second serve and will try to find times to come to the net more often than the likes of Nadal or Djokovic but in rallies he often hits in very passive rhythm.

It's no surprise to me that some upcoming players are playing in this way. Do they really expect to out-grind the current top guns? Nah, they need a different solution, they need a compelling counterargument, a direct opposition!!:)

FlashFlare11
03-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Let's be honest, Harrison isn't consistently aggressive. He's often very passive and a virtual pusher - I've seen a lot of his matches. Dolgopolov plays more aggressive tennis than Harrison and shows far more improvisation. Harrison is odd, as he attacks on serve and with his second serve and will try to find times to come to the net more often than the likes of Nadal or Djokovic but in rallies he often hits in very passive rhythm.

It's no surprise to me that some upcoming players are playing in this way. Do they really expect to out-grind the current top guns? Nah, they need a different solution, they need a compelling counterargument, a direct opposition!!:)

I always think Harrison will further develop his serve and that will allow him to further develop his aggressive game. As of right now, none of these players can outlast Djokovic, Nadal, or Murray. It's simply not possible. But it'll be incredibly interesting when they start to meet each other more frequently.

Sadly, Dimitrov seems to be lagging behind the rest of his peers.

Nathaniel_Near
03-12-2012, 05:04 PM
I always think Harrison will further develop his serve and that will allow him to further develop his aggressive game. As of right now, none of these players can outlast Djokovic, Nadal, or Murray. It's simply not possible. But it'll be incredibly interesting when they start to meet each other more frequently.

Sadly, Dimitrov seems to be lagging behind the rest of his peers.

That's what he should do. Harrison confuses me you see, I'll tell you how I see it. Here is a guy with tremendous athleticism. He's *very* quick, he looks physically strong and he's developed somewhat of a weapon with his serve. At the moment he isn't utilising his natural athleticism fully yet! In time he must realise that he has the physical gifts to play a far more imposing game. He's got some natural habits such as hitting big second serves and using variety and trying to find his way to the net and once he synthesizes the rest of his baseline game more cogently with his already existing weapons, then he should be a fierce force, for real.

Totally agree on Gregory Dimitrovsky.

FlashFlare11
03-12-2012, 05:08 PM
That's what he should do. Harrison confuses me you see, I'll tell you how I see it. Here is a guy with tremendous athleticism. He's *very* quick, he looks physically strong and he's developed somewhat of a weapon with his serve. At the moment he isn't utilising his natural athleticism fully yet! In time he must realise that he has the physical gifts to play a far more imposing game. He's got some natural habits such as hitting big second serves and using variety and trying to find his way to the net and once he synthesizes the rest of his baseline game more cogently with his already existing weapons, then he should be a fierce force, for real.

Totally agree on Gregory Dimitrovsky.

Basically, he needs to develop an all-court game. Perhaps he'll find it once he unlocks that athleticism he has. To be honest, I haven't seen that much of Harrison. But I liked what I saw of him against Murray in Australia. He is improving and he has a nice, flowing game. Pleasant to watch.

Nathaniel_Near
03-12-2012, 05:24 PM
I think this whole younger generation has a more aesthetically pleasing game to watch than the Murray/Nole/Nadal/Del Potro camp. I don't see them being as successful though, somehow.

FlashFlare11
03-12-2012, 05:27 PM
I think this whole younger generation has a more aesthetically pleasing game to watch than the Murray/Nole/Nadal/Del Potro camp. I don't see them being as successful though, somehow.

Del Potro, I never minded watching. I liked him as a person and his game isn't bad either.

This younger generation has players equally talented, but all unique at the same time. I don't think they'll be as successful either, because there will be four or five realistic slam favorites, very unlike today's game. It'll be nice for a change, not knowing who'll win everything for once!

nadalwon2012
03-12-2012, 08:07 PM

By losing and giving no credit to his opponent?

FlashFlare11
03-12-2012, 08:27 PM

He wasn't asking what Nadal would do.

Sentinel
03-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Tough match to call. I am sitting on the fence on this one.

flyinghippos101
03-12-2012, 08:50 PM

Lol

Instead Nadal patronizes his opponents to death. It goes both ways genius

vernonbc
03-13-2012, 05:30 AM

You do realize, don't you, that Nadal doesn't write any headlines nor does he commentate on any tennis matches. Kind of silly to blame him for what other people do.

And no one knows Fed is ill? Have you perused any tennis articles or blogs in the last couple of days? At minimum, 90% of them have a headline of Federer being under the weather. Depending on the degree of Fed fanaticism, the story is he is doing ok and Mirka and the kids got it a lot worse or he is terribly ill but is gamely playing on.

vernonbc
03-13-2012, 05:38 AM

Really? Have you watched any of Milos' matches? I have, because he's Canadian so I am cheering for him but gawd, his matches are boring. Every once in awhile he bombs down a serve or absolutely kills a forehand that makes you go wow, but most of the time it's serve - ace; serve - unreturnable; serve - return, forehand crosscourt; serve - return, UE into the net; serve - ace. Game, Raonic. The most emotion he shows on court is an occasional (very occasional) small smile when he wins the match. This guy is the very epitome of boredom. Give me a Nadal vamos anyday.

pound cat
03-13-2012, 05:38 AM
what's doing this thread in pro discussion forum?

And half the threads in Match Results belong in Pro Disscussion. It's all about where you think your thread will be seen by more people I think.

FlashFlare11
03-13-2012, 05:45 AM
Really? Have you watched any of Milos' matches? I have, because he's Canadian so I am cheering for him but gawd, his matches are boring. Every once in awhile he bombs down a serve or absolutely kills a forehand that makes you go wow, but most of the time it's serve - ace; serve - unreturnable; serve - return, forehand crosscourt; serve - return, UE into the net; serve - ace. Game, Raonic. The most emotion he shows on court is an occasional (very occasional) small smile when he wins the match. This guy is the very epitome of boredom. Give me a Nadal vamos anyday.

Vernon, British Columbia? Is that where you're from?

Laurie
03-13-2012, 07:14 AM

Simple. Tennis is and always has been a sport about movement at the highest level. The media and fans obsess about strokes but the best players have always and will always combine great strokes with great movement. Isner is too tall and unable to move well enough to be a threat at the top level. Not many players win a major tournament above the height of 6 ft 5 and yet Isner is 6 ft 9.

As for Federer v Raonic, again it's no contest at this stage, Raonic's ground game is not good enough at this stage of his career. He doesn't look too fast to me so not sure how much he can improve it to be a threat at a major level. If I compare him in height and body to Krajicek, Krajicek is 6ft 5 and had great movement for his height and consequently had a good ground game for his height, which enabled him to win a major. Stich at 6 ft 4 was another great mover for a tall man. I would like to see Raonic improve his movement before I consider him a contender.

That doesn't mean Raonic can't beat Federer on a one off situation, but to be consistently up there, he needs to make a lot of improvement.

FlashFlare11
03-13-2012, 07:30 AM
Simple. Tennis is and always has been a sport about movement at the highest level. The media and fans obsess about strokes but the best players have always and will always combine great strokes with great movement. Isner is too tall and unable to move well enough to be a threat at the top level. Not many players win a major tournament above the height of 6 ft 5 and yet Isner is 6 ft 9.

As for Federer v Raonic, again it's no contest at this stage, Raonic's ground game is not good enough at this stage of his career. He doesn't look too fast to me so not sure how much he can improve it to be a threat at a major level. If I compare him in height and body to Krajicek, Krajicek is 6ft 5 and had great movement for his height and consequently had a good ground game for his height, which enabled him to win a major. Stich at 6 ft 4 was another great mover for a tall man. I would like to see Raonic improve his movement before I consider him a contender.

That doesn't mean Raonic can't beat Federer on a one off situation, but to be consistently up there, he needs to make a lot of improvement.
Good post! And I agree. I never meant to mean that Isner should have won a slam, but maybe should have so more success against top 10 players, and perhaps should have had a good run in a slam (so far, his slam highlights have come in first round matches, Wimbledon 2010 and RG 2011).

As for Raonic, I don't think he can beat Federer or any of the other top 4 at this stage. But I think he'll definitely become a force soon enough. Raonic's best shot at beating a top 4 player would be at Wimbledon or against Murray, who still seems to lose to lower-level players far more often than the three guys ranked above him.

joeri888
03-13-2012, 07:33 AM
Raonic in two easy sets.

6 1
6 0

Virus or no virus, Roger has no weapons to hurt him with.

No weapons and Federer do not go in the same sentence (except this one).

Nathaniel_Near
03-13-2012, 07:37 AM

Is your question serious? Of course, really. I love king of funk Tomic, flavour of the day Harrison, shot-maker wannabe Dimitrov and 'The big game' Milos Raonic.

The last generation are too similar and one paced and 3 of them are grindstitutes.

Class dismissed, as they say!:twisted:

FlashFlare11
03-13-2012, 07:55 AM
Is your question serious? Of course, really. I love king of funk Tomic, flavour of the day Harrison, shot-maker wannabe Dimitrov and 'The big game' Milos Raonic.

The last generation are too similar and one paced and 3 of them are grindstitutes.

Class dismissed, as they say!:twisted:

Well, we can't expect her to have the same tastes as we do. She is a Nadal fan, after all. I mean, she did say she finds Federer boring.

pound cat
03-13-2012, 07:58 AM
[QUOTE=vernonbc;6387350]Really? Have you watched any of Milos' matches? I have, because he's Canadian so I am cheering for him but gawd, his matches are boring. Every once in awhile he bombs down a serve or absolutely kills a forehand that makes you go wow, but most of the time it's serve - ace; serve - unreturnable; serve - return, forehand crosscourt; serve - return, UE into the net; serve - ace. Game, Raonic. The most emotion he shows on court is an occasional (very occasional) small smile when he wins the match. This guy is the very epitome of boredom. Give me a Nadal vamos anyday.[/QUOTE

I don't see Raonic as being boring. What I see is discipline as was the case with Sampras. And watching such sustained discipline is to me extremely interesting to watch as it's such a rare thing.,

celoft
03-13-2012, 08:13 AM
Federer in 2.

kragster
03-13-2012, 08:25 AM
I think as in any thing in life, variety is great. If there can be some good first strike tennis players to test the likes of Fed, Djoko, Rafa, Murray, that will be great for the sport.

I don't think we are anywhere close to the danger of ace machines dominating the sport so for now, we should welcome these players.

Evan77
03-13-2012, 08:42 AM
I'm really looking forward to this match. Sure as a Canadian I hope that Milos will upset Rog. one way or another it should be fun.

sbengte
03-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Milos in three.

7-6,4-6,7-6

thug the bunny
03-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Right now, I don't think the kid has enough 1)discipline 2)variety 3)creativity to beat Fed. But, the first few times I watched him play, I thought "Sampras"! If he develops his game the right way he could become the next Pistol.

mental midget
03-13-2012, 12:58 PM
milos showed some decent agility 'for a big guy' last round. you don't see too many 6'5 guys on tour mule-kicking the 2hbh a la rios. not saying he's a speed demon, but if he can even get to 'average' on the speed spectrum, he's suddenly a completely different caliber of threat.

Laurie
03-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Right now, I don't think the kid has enough 1)discipline 2)variety 3)creativity to beat Fed. But, the first few times I watched him play, I thought "Sampras"! If he develops his game the right way he could become the next Pistol.

Please see my post, it's number 78. People are going to think this and of course I can't stop them, but I will point out that there is no comparison between the two men. A big serve does not make a clone. Sampras was one of the best movers of his era, and of any era, consequently he was able to partake in some of the best baseline battles of his era against Courier, Agassi, Chang, Brugera, Becker, Corretja, Muster, Lendl among many others. You simply cannot envisage Raonic having great baseline battles against anyone, now or in a few years. Raonic does not return serve as well either.

Tennis is not just about hitting the ball hard, there are so many factors involved which must be observed if comparisons between players are to be made.

stormholloway
03-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Right now, I don't think the kid has enough 1)discipline

Based on what?

Marius_Hancu
03-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Their interviews:

http://www.asapsports.com/show_event.php?category=7&date=2012-3-13&title=BNP+PARIBAS+OPEN

Devilito
03-14-2012, 11:15 AM

his game is nothing like Pete's. Pete was 6'0" fast, agile and played an all-court game. His serve was also completely different being 6'0" and not 6'6". He used more spins and hit heavy and had a higher 1st serve percentage. His forehand was a laser whenever he set up for it and rarely just hit rally shots with it. His approach shots were better and was way more agile around the net. He was way quicker around the baseline and anticipated better. Petros groundies were just better and more consistent on every level. IDK Why people keep comparing Milos to Petros. Is it because Milos says he idolized Petros? Their games are nothing alike.

mattennis
03-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Totally agree with Laurie here. Milos is too tall to ever become a multi-GS winner or stable nş1.

There have always been many great and tall servers in all eras, but even in others eras where conditions were much faster, there was never a dominant player that tall.

Even tall players with amazing serves (and volleys) like Ivanisevic, Stich, Krajicek that moved very well for their height (compared to Milos or Isner) and had a quite complete game, never got to nş1 and each one of them won 1 GS tournament. And the three of them played in much faster conditions than today.

In my opinion Milos could win 1 GS or 2. Maybe he one day gets to nş4 or nş3 or nş2 in the world (Ivanisevic and Stich were nş2 at different times, and Krajicek was nş4 one time), but he is too tall to be a great mover (even to be a good mover) and movement has always been (and today as well is) one of the most important things in tennis.

Devilito
03-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Totally agree with Laurie here. Milos is too tall to ever become a multi-GS winner or stable nş1.

He's as tall as Berdych and shorter than Del Potro, and when people talk about those guys they don't consistently refer to their size. Milos has a good serve because of skill, not height. If it was all height then Del Potro should be consistently serving in the 150s but he doesn't.

GRANITECHIEF
03-14-2012, 11:28 AM
It was a fabulous match and very cool atmosphere live at the stadium. Couple points here and there.

I told Milos afterward in the hotel elevator that he had a very good performance and will have many more opportunities to play the top guys. Very nice young man.

mattennis
03-14-2012, 01:05 PM
He's as tall as Berdych and shorter than Del Potro, and when people talk about those guys they don't consistently refer to their size. Milos has a good serve because of skill, not height. If it was all height then Del Potro should be consistently serving in the 150s but he doesn't.

Yes I know. The thing is that I don't see Del Potro or Berdych as multi-GS winners or stable nş1 either.

Perhaps I could see Del Potro winning 2-3 GS, but no more than that. (Obviously I may be wrong, future will tell).

In the Open Era, only TWO players 6 ft 3 in ( 1.90 m ) have won more than 2 GS ( Boris Becker with 6 GS and Gustavo Kuerten with 3 GS ).

Any other player with more than 2 GS (in the Open Era) was shorter than 1.90 m.

May this change in the near future? We will see.

cknobman
03-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Milos:
Q. You played Nadal twice; you played now Federer. For you, who is the tougher opponent?
MILOS RAONIC: I think it's two different things. I think against Nadal, I feel like I just was able to sort of get more into the match. I feel like if Federer plays well he can just blow you out quicker.
I think Nadal might be tougher to close out just because of how adamant he is and how much he perseveres through things. Against Rafa, I feel like I had it in my hands. I had a few more opportunities in my hands that I didn't execute.
Against Federer, I feel like if you did the things right he could take it away from you pretty quickly.

Larrysümmers
03-14-2012, 01:13 PM
his game is nothing like Pete's. Pete was 6'0" fast, agile and played an all-court game. His serve was also completely different being 6'0" and not 6'6". He used more spins and hit heavy and had a higher 1st serve percentage. His forehand was a laser whenever he set up for it and rarely just hit rally shots with it. His approach shots were better and was way more agile around the net. He was way quicker around the baseline and anticipated better. Petros groundies were just better and more consistent on every level. IDK Why people keep comparing Milos to Petros. Is it because Milos says he idolized Petros? Their games are nothing alike.

i think sampras because of that 2nd serve. also milos just seems to be able to thunder in groundies, and seems to play more of a modern all court game. the hair has a lot to do with it, too.

for me, it has nothing to do with the fact that he idolized pete.

Devilito
03-14-2012, 01:41 PM
i think sampras because of that 2nd serve. also milos just seems to be able to thunder in groundies, and seems to play more of a modern all court game. the hair has a lot to do with it, too.

for me, it has nothing to do with the fact that he idolized pete.

when i see Raonic i see Todd Martin

Marius_Hancu
03-14-2012, 01:47 PM
It was a fabulous match and very cool atmosphere live at the stadium. Couple points here and there.

I told Milos afterward in the hotel elevator that he had a very good performance and will have many more opportunities to play the top guys. Very nice young man.

Yes, I met him in person 3 years ago.
Good for you.

sunof tennis
03-14-2012, 02:32 PM

There have always been many great and tall servers in all eras, but even in others eras where conditions were much faster, there was never a dominant player that tall.

Even tall players with amazing serves (and volleys) like Ivanisevic, Stich, Krajicek that moved very well for their height (compared to Milos or Isner) and had a quite complete game, never got to nş1 and each one of them won 1 GS tournament. And the three of them played in much faster conditions than today.

In my opinion Milos could win 1 GS or 2. Maybe he one day gets to nş4 or nş3 or nş2 in the world (Ivanisevic and Stich were nş2 at different times, and Krajicek was nş4 one time), but he is too tall to be a great mover (even to be a good mover) and movement has always been (and today as well is) one of the most important things in tennis.

If you are saying that there will never be a tall player who is a good mover, than I respectfully disagree (if that is not what you are saying, I apologize).
I could just imagine a young Michael Jordan playing tennis. I think he moved pretty well, and, as everyone knows, he is 6'6".

mattennis
03-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Michael Jordan was an amazing mover...in basketball, I really don't know how good or bad a mover he would have been in tennis.

As I said, Ivanisevic, Krajicek and Stich were very fast, quick and cat-like for their height, but still they were no Sampras, Federer, Djokovic or Nadal movementwise.

The thing is that in the Open Era ALL players that have won more than 2 GS were at most 6 ft 3 in ( 1.90 m ) with Becker (who won 6 GS) and Kuerten (who won 3 GS) both being exactly 1.90 m the tallest ones.

It may change in the near future, we will see.