PDA

View Full Version : Relative tension mains and crosses

NineMileSkid
03-12-2012, 05:12 AM
I am sure this has been discussed ad nauseam here, but can someone sum up why one would string their crosses at a slightly lower tension than their mains? Pocketing? Evening out tension because of longer lenghts? Feel?

Also, if a hybrid setup, would this still hold true with 16 g multi mains and a 17g synthetic gut?

Thanks.

Irvin
03-12-2012, 05:32 AM
LOL because they think it makes a difference. Maybe it does maybe it doesn't but if you think it does then it does for you.

mikeler
03-12-2012, 06:02 AM
Whether in the mains or crosses, I like to have the poly string 4 pounds lower than the non-poly in a hybrid.

kabrac
03-12-2012, 06:07 AM
Any number of factors but, when you string and tension crosses it tightens up the mains a bit more.

KerryR
03-12-2012, 06:47 AM
According to Stringway (ala the Tension Advisor), stringing the crosses at a lower tension evens out the stress on the racket-- the idea is to account for the shorter cross strings. It usually works out to about 4 pounds less on the crosses with their calculator (same string on both).

I'd GUESS that it'd make little difference to the racket, but would slightly soften the string bed. Best bet is pick a method and stick with it so that you gain the control of the SBS you're after...