PDA

View Full Version : Indian Wells players hit by VIRUS.

ManFed
03-12-2012, 06:53 AM
Indian Wells tennis players hit by virus

Palm Springs: Four more players pulled out of the Indian Wells tennis tournament on Sunday with a virus that has prompted prompting Palm Springs area health officials to issue a health warning.

French 14th seed Gael Monfils, ninth seeded Russian Vera Zvonareva, American Vania King and Jurgen Melzer of Austria withdrew from matches Sunday at the hardcourt tournament. They joined Magdalena Rybarikova, Philipp Kohlschreiber, Andreas Seppi and Bethanie Mattek-Sands, who have all complained of stomach problems.

King said her symptoms included vomiting and diarrhea.

"Just spent one of the worst nights of my life (gruesome details) fever, vomiting, diarrhea ... all at the same time ... caught a bug from someone," King said on her social networking site Twitter.

Palm Springs area health officials said players and tennis fans have been getting sick but added it is not limited to the tennis event.

They described it as an airborne illness and ruled out food poisoning, which many of the players thought initially might be what was making them sick.

"There is currently a Coachella Valley-wide virus which is resulting in symptoms of nausea and vomiting, fever, and subsequent diarrhea," the statement said. "It is self-limited and lasts between 24 and 48 hours. It is transmitted by air and direct contact and not passed via food.

"Emergency Departments across the valley have seen an increase in patients with these symptoms. At Eisenhower Medical Center, which provides medical support for the BNP Paribas Open, we have seen increases in overall visits to the emergency department by about 15 percent over the past week. We have seen fans and players at the tournament experience these symptoms as well."

King's exit meant that her opponent Angelique Kerber of Germany moved onto the next round.

Monfils was replaced in the men's draw by German lucky loser Bjorn Phau.

Melzer, of Austria, lost his singles match earlier Sunday to Thomaz Bellucci but then withdrew from the doubles competition.

Zvonareva withdrew with a virus before her Sunday singles match, giving Czech Klara Zakopalova and walkover victory.

American Mattek-Sands did not pull out and opted to continue in doubles and won her latest match with partner Jarmila Gajdosova.

"Food poisoning last night :( not fun... I'll just have to keep one of those airplane bags close by today in Dubs!!," Mattek-Sands wrote on Twitter.

Source: http://sports.ndtv.com/tennis/news/item/186776-indian-wells-tennis-players-hit-by-virus

ManFed
03-12-2012, 06:54 AM
It seems a pretty serious thing now. It affects local population as well as players. I hope this thing doesn't affect too much players.

nadalwon2012
03-12-2012, 07:05 AM
I little bit of vomiting and diarrhea never hurt anybody. Toughen them up.

sureshs
03-12-2012, 07:06 AM
Is it a conspiracy to make Djokovic sick?

nadalwon2012
03-12-2012, 07:08 AM
Is it a conspiracy to make Djokovic sick?

Nah, he didn't get the virus. Neither did Nadal. Federer is reportedly sick however.

DjokovicForTheWin
03-12-2012, 07:08 AM
Nah, he didn't get the virus. Neither did Nadal. Federer is reportedly sick however.

Hey I thought you said you were never going to post again at Talk Tennis.

Especially against Federer. No point serving fast vs Federer.

By the way this is my FINAL POST ever at Talk Tennis.

sureshs
03-12-2012, 07:10 AM
I think players will be able to stay loose during motion.

They can be more fluid in their shots.

They will be able to go for more.

monfed
03-12-2012, 07:11 AM
I guess Ralph can take unlimited MTOs now.

sureshs
03-12-2012, 07:12 AM
I would be very suspicious of any player who shows up in yellow shorts

sureshs
03-12-2012, 07:13 AM
King said her symptoms included vomiting and diarrhea.

"Just spent one of the worst nights of my life (gruesome details) fever, vomiting, diarrhea ... all at the same time ... caught a bug from someone," King said on her social networking site Twitter.

A King should spend a lot of time sitting on the throne

nadalwon2012
03-12-2012, 07:14 AM

Nah sorry, Nadal didn't get the virus. Federer did, or at least is complaining he's sick.

Hood_Man
03-12-2012, 07:15 AM
I've seen the Dustin Hoffman film Outbreak, I know what they need to do.

http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~traister/hbomb.gif

vive le beau jeu !
03-12-2012, 07:15 AM
... or (even) more time for his pre-serve routine. :?

sureshs
03-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Nah sorry, Nadal didn't get the virus. Federer did, or at least is complaining he's sick.

Source?..............

ManFed
03-12-2012, 07:39 AM
The commentators mentioned it too.

During his match, he seems as if something was annoying him, his facial expressions were different. Also at the end of the first set he went to the locker room. He was playing as if he wanted to end it really fast.

Cormorant
03-12-2012, 07:41 AM
It's just as well Soderling missed this tournament after all. One more spell of sickness might've decimated his morale for the rest of the season.

FlashFlare11
03-12-2012, 07:43 AM
During his match, he seems as if something was annoying him, his facial expressions were different. Also at the end of the first set he went to the locker room. He was playing as if he wanted to end it really fast.

Yeah, that's what monfed said too. I noticed his groundstrokes (especially forehand) were somewhat inconsistent. Something was definitely bothering him. Raonic is a huge hitter so I hope he's feeling much better by tomorrow!

TMF
03-12-2012, 08:13 AM
This is truely sad. Anyone who's attending IW, just be careful. When driving there, don't roll down the window.

ManFed
03-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Yeah, that's what monfed said too. I noticed his groundstrokes (especially forehand) were somewhat inconsistent. Something was definitely bothering him. Raonic is a huge hitter so I hope he's feeling much better by tomorrow!

Supposedly the symptoms remain for 48 hours. If he were really sick, he would be fine by tomorrow. Although, the virus is really weird, symptoms look like Dengue Fever. I hope it doesnít affect Rogerís fitness too much.

MarinaHighTennis
03-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Strange thing all my friends and family are sick now after going to Indian Wells...

monfed
03-12-2012, 09:10 AM
... or (even) more time for his pre-serve routine. :?

Very baad. Very baad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6udXOUAzvGc

(5:47 + ) ;)

ManFed
03-12-2012, 09:16 AM
What if this virus affect Top Seeds or the remain players?. Should the tournament be cancelled?

joeri888
03-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Would be cool if they equal things and implement the virus on everyone. Then let the games begin. Last man standing takes home the MS 1000 title.

djokovicgonzalez2010
03-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Draw could really open up for Kolya if Federer goes out. His game would really trouble Raonic, then he'd have a good chance at semis if del Potro can beat Ferrer, then Nadal-who knows?

sureshs
03-12-2012, 09:21 AM
What if this virus affect Top Seeds or the remain players?. Should the tournament be cancelled?

It is turning out to be a crappy tournament

hoodjem
03-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Nah, he didn't get the virus. Neither did Nadal. Federer is reportedly sick however.Fed should have immunity, after 2008 AO.

monfed
03-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Fed should have immunity, after 2008 AO.

Like Laver had immunity for 5 years giving you the platform to brag about it for the rest of eternity about how he would've ran riot had he played.
Yea I see your point.

Cup8489
03-12-2012, 09:47 AM

wow, ever had severe stomach flu? why dont you try playing professional tennis when you feel your insides churning.

You probably wouldn't, you seem like a sissy boy.

rommil
03-12-2012, 09:51 AM

Wait 'til Rafa loses then he is sick.

Am I in the ignore list too on this account?:(

Emet74
03-12-2012, 09:52 AM

Fed didn't get the virus; he just has some sort of upper-respiratory thing that's going around his family:

Q. Have you been at all worried about the illness that's been going around, the players in the area, the virus?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, I haven't hung around much at all, so worried, yes. I guess everyone is, yes. But, yeah, we're fighting something of our own in our family, so it doesn't matter where it's coming.

Q. Someone with you has it, or...
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, we have tons of stuff going on at the moment. (Laughter.)

Q. Is it just a cold or is it a flu?
ROGER FEDERER: I don't know. I have a bit of a combination. Not terrible temperature, but I have some things going on. But I'm best off from the family, so thank God I'm the tennis player here.
No, the rest of them are struggling much more.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=78274

Cup8489
03-12-2012, 09:52 AM

hard to keep all of them straight huh.

rommil
03-12-2012, 09:55 AM
hard to keep all of them straight huh.

Lol we will just let him deal with remembering all of them.

Cup8489
03-12-2012, 09:56 AM
i wish you could vote-ban someone. I'm sure he'd have enough votes on every account to be banned on all of them.

rommil
03-12-2012, 09:58 AM
i wish you could vote-ban someone. I'm sure he'd have enough votes on every account to be banned on all of them.

He has so many accounts he would vote ban one of them by mistake:)

Cup8489
03-12-2012, 10:00 AM
He has so many accounts he would vote ban one of them by mistake:)

lol yeah, I wonder what he's up to now. Half a dozen at least

FlashFlare11
03-12-2012, 10:02 AM

Dude put me on his Ignore List for suggesting Nadal should stand closer to the baseline on returns. What a kid!

I don't think he's ever picked up a racquet in his life.

nadalwon2012
03-12-2012, 10:38 AM

Do you want Rafa to lose?

My ignore list? No I don't use that feature, its a chicken way to live.

jackson vile
03-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Strange thing all my friends and family are sick now after going to Indian Wells...

Seriously? That is some scary ****, if you find out more information could you please post about it? This very well could ruin the whole year for some players.

jackson vile
03-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Fed should have immunity, after 2008 AO.

Doesn't even matter, remember he made it to the finals with mono. Evidently he can play though everything, there for it is not a factor for him.

FlashFlare11
03-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Doesn't even matter, remember he made it to the finals with mono. Evidently he can play though everything, there for it is not a factor for him.

Well, apparently, Federer has something different than what's going around. The killer seems to be a severe stomach virus (Monfils pulled out because of it, as did several other players). It seems his family has it much worse, though. Hopefully it'll die out and everyone makes a full recovery!

joeri888
03-12-2012, 10:53 AM

He made the semis, which was a big downfall from 10 straight Grandslam finals, winning 8(!!!)

FlashFlare11
03-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Should we be more concerned for Indian Wells or Miami considering the potential fields?

rommil
03-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Do you want Rafa to lose?

My ignore list? No I don't use that feature, its a chicken way to live.

Ok cool, this is the less cowardly account then.

sureshs
03-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Should we be more concerned for Indian Wells or Miami considering the potential fields?

I hope this virus is not a fan of tennis and decides to follow the game to Miami.

bluetrain4
03-12-2012, 11:54 AM
It sounds pretty serious. Sounds like they're downplaying it. Though it apparently doesn't have longterm health consequences, it's still pretty major that an airborne virus is floating around causing Indian Wells area residents as well as visitors to get ill.

CCNM
03-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Oh Dear!!!!! Hope they take care of themselves.

CDestroyer
03-12-2012, 12:11 PM
So Indian Wells has a new name. The 2012 Southern Cali diarreah fest. If you play you will pay.

Fedex
03-12-2012, 01:26 PM

Tennis players of today don't know they're born.
In my day they lived in a shoe box, got a damn good thrashing and licked tar everyday and had to play on concrete with rope for net.
Try and tell the young people today and they won't believe ya.

Towser83
03-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Tennis players of today don't know they're born.
In my day they lived in a shoe box, got a damn good thrashing and licked tar everyday and had to play on concrete with rope for net.
Try and tell the young people today and they won't believe ya.

and when you got home, your coach would slice you in two with a bread knife!

FlamEnemY
03-12-2012, 01:44 PM
I think players will be able to stay loose during motion.

They can be more fluid in their shots.

They will be able to go for more.

Yep. The term "drop shot" will have a whole new meaning after this tournament.

luishcorreia
03-12-2012, 02:04 PM
I've seen the Dustin Hoffman film Outbreak, I know what they need to do.

http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~traister/hbomb.gif

Get nadal out first ;)

jonnyjack
03-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Hopefully all of the old people in the area have good immune systems. I'm being serious, when I landed all I saw was seniors everywhere.

rommil
03-12-2012, 03:31 PM
:) noticed the same thing, went to see the tournament 2 years ago......... Drove from Vegas through the Mojave dessert and baammm!!! Geriatrics everywhere:)

sureshs
03-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Hopefully all of the old people in the area have good immune systems. I'm being serious, when I landed all I saw was seniors everywhere.

That is well-known. The entire area is full of mature people.

Sentinel
03-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Indian players hit by virus ? Which ones ? Leander ? Bhupathi ? Bops ?

joechiang
03-12-2012, 08:14 PM
I wonder what kind of catastrophe it would be exaggerated to if it happened in Shanghai Masters.

Funbun
03-12-2012, 08:25 PM
It's funny because Murray lost in the qualifier.

sbengte
03-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Indian players hit by virus ? Which ones ? Leander ? Bhupathi ? Bops ?

Learn to read properly. Indians are wells. It is the other players that are unwells due to the virus.

rommil
03-12-2012, 09:07 PM
I wonder what kind of catastrophe it would be exaggerated to if it happened in Shanghai Masters.

Poo poo platter

ChiefAce
03-12-2012, 09:23 PM
A ton of people in this area had this virus back in December. You are literally bed ridden for 48 hours+ and there is a span of 6-8 hours where you have uncontrollable vomiting and diarrhea. It was easily one of the worst illnesses I've ever had and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

MomentumGT
03-12-2012, 09:40 PM
I jr girl I used to coach is a ball girl at the event. This Sunday she said that almost 20 ball kids didn't show up because of the "virus" floating around and everyone getting sick.

-Jon

SLD76
03-13-2012, 04:24 AM
I jr girl I used to coach is a ball girl at the event. This Sunday she said that almost 20 ball kids didn't show up because of the "virus" floating around and everyone getting sick.

-Jon

Looks like they have poor infection control.

I bet some nasty mofo in the kitchen didnt wash their hands.

Someone needs to watch another sanitation/hygiene video.

rommil
03-13-2012, 05:23 AM
Thought they said it was airborne? Must be the windmills :(

rommil
03-13-2012, 05:36 AM
Uncle Toni made caca in front of the windmills to spread the Nadalis Fecalis Aerialis. He tired of watching Rafa on court moonballing and not biting the trophy. They told Murray about it so he bounced.

sureshs
03-13-2012, 05:40 AM
I heard that it was done much more simply. Rafa just picked his butt and then went around giving everyone a handshake.

sbengte
03-13-2012, 05:41 AM
So Indian Wells has a new name. The 2012 Southern Cali diarreah fest. If you play you will pay.

I feel for Ralph who is soon to be called the 2012 Southern Cali diarrhoea fest champ.

Maui19
03-13-2012, 08:14 AM
A few weeks ago I read about the Norovirus hitting the western US. The description of the Indian Wells illness fits the characteristics of the Norovirus very well.

nadalwon2012
03-13-2012, 08:34 AM
I heard that it was done much more simply. Rafa just picked his butt and then went around giving everyone a handshake.

Or Federer started seeing Tiger Woods again. Time heals.

Sentinel
03-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Is this a racist thread about Indians ?

Must report soon.

jones101
03-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Davydenko has withdrawn too due to same illness. Belluci receives a walkover.

reversef
03-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Davydenko has withdrawn too due to same illness. Belluci receives a walkover.

It's getting crazy.

nadalwon2012
03-13-2012, 10:21 AM
At least the players who haven't got it probably won't get it, now that they know to stay away from everyone/everything they can.

FlashFlare11
03-13-2012, 10:31 AM
At least the players who haven't got it probably won't get it, now that they know to stay away from everyone/everything they can.

Apparently it's spreading through the air.

nadalwon2012
03-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Apparently it's spreading through the air.

True, they could get it no matter how isolated they are. And nowhere to hide when they go to play the matches.

Cormorant
03-13-2012, 10:46 AM
I just saw Del Potro cough into a towel and hand it to the ballkid. In this infectious environment that's a little thoughtless! He should receive the maximum fine and be forced to wear a surgical mask for the rest of the week.

nadalwon2012
03-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Wow. Who'd wanna be a ball kid now?

As Agassi would say, 'it's all fun and games until somebody get's hurt'.

FlashFlare11
03-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Again, let's not forget that there is another Masters 1000 event next week. I hope everyone has a full recovery in time. Hopefully, this doesn't spread across the country.

Tcbtennis
03-13-2012, 11:02 AM
I'm not a scientist, but I'm not aware of any common viral GI illnesses that are airborne. Usually, they are transmitted through contaminated foods or unsanitary conditions that lead to one ingesting contaminated water or food. I guess there can be an airborne virus that is respiratory but have a GI component but the Indian Wells virus seems to be primarily gastrointestinal. Any virologists out there in TT land that can educate me. I'm just curious.

sureshs
03-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Dr. ollinger is missing when he is most needed

anubis
03-13-2012, 11:43 AM
From wikipedia:

Transmission

Noroviruses are transmitted directly from person to person and indirectly via contaminated water and food. They are highly contagious, and less than twenty virus particles can cause an infection.[12]Transmission occurs through ingesting contaminated food and water and by person-to-person spread. Transmission through fecal-oral can be aerosolized when those stricken with the illness vomit and can be aerosolized by a toilet flush when vomit or diarrhea is present; infection can follow eating food or breathing air near an episode of vomiting, even if cleaned up.[13] The viruses continue to be shed after symptoms have subsided and shedding can still be detected many weeks after infection.[14]

Perhaps their food or water is contaminated, as it's not being spread through the air... unless it's not a norovirus, but something else that hasn't been identified yet.

vbranis
03-13-2012, 11:51 AM
I work at stringing over at IW and got it yesterday. It's the nastiest virus I've had in years, complete with high fever, vomiting, diarrhea, the works... Couldn't eat anything for 24 hours, and could barely walk yesterday, much less play tennis. The bad news is that it continues to spread like wildfire...

sureshs
03-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Did Nadal bring in his racquets personally and hand them to you?

sureshs
03-13-2012, 12:14 PM
OMG the yellow strings were not Pro Hurricane ......

tistrapukcipeht
03-13-2012, 12:16 PM
I work at stringing over at IW and got it yesterday. It's the nastiest virus I've had in years, complete with high fever, vomiting, diarrhea, the works... Couldn't eat anything for 24 hours, and could barely walk yesterday, much less play tennis. The bad news is that it continues to spread like wildfire...

Hi, do you know what string and tension were Wawrinka and Nalbandian using?

I'm just curious about it.

Thanks

I hope Federer will get better, since He was somewhat sick against Kudla.

vbranis
03-13-2012, 01:06 PM
Hi, do you know what string and tension were Wawrinka and Nalbandian using?

I'm just curious about it.

Thanks

I hope Federer will get better, since He was somewhat sick against Kudla.

Wawrinka does not use the on-site stringing, he is with Priority 1. Nalbandian uses BBO @ 50 lbs if memory serves.

Let's keep this on topic. I finally managed to keep down a small piece of toast! :)

sureshs
03-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Drink plenty of water. Add a pinch of salt and sugar if you don't have electrolytes. Or drink gatorade.

Imodium works wonders. First 2, then 1 every 4 hours 2 or 3 times, and yoru leak will be sealed, often much longer than you would want.

Clarky21
03-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Drink plenty of water. Add a pinch of salt and sugar if you don't have electrolytes. Or drink gatorade.

Imodium works wonders. First 2, then 1 every 4 hours 2 or 3 times, and yoru leak will be sealed, often much longer than you would want.

I've always heard you shouldn't take that stuff when you are sick with a virus like this because all you're doing is prolonging it. Maybe I'm wrong,though.