PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Choice

adso1973
03-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Lately i've been thinking on 2 possible ways of improving my game, 1 go for a 100sq racquet or 2 a heavy mp. What I'm looking for take advantage of my serve and heavy shots that with my EXO Tour are not paying the bill.

On the second chance I'm thinking on the following
- BLX 6.1 16x18
- Volkl Organix 10
- Pacific X Force Pro
- Bab PST

All of them have similar specs, open pattern, all of them are great frames, but which one would be easier to play with and more confortable?

Thanks

lgbalfa
03-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Lately i've been thinking on 2 possible ways of improving my game, 1 go for a 100sq racquet or 2 a heavy mp. What I'm looking for take advantage of my serve and heavy shots that with my EXO Tour are not paying the bill.

On the second chance I'm thinking on the following
- BLX 6.1 16x18
- Volkl Organix 10
- Pacific X Force Pro
- Bab PST

All of them have similar specs, open pattern, all of them are great frames, but which one would be easier to play with and more confortable?

Thanks

each person is different.

i would recommend you demo them.

Ramon
03-12-2012, 09:30 PM
I tried some of those racquets out, and here are my impressions:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=413091

DeShaun
03-12-2012, 09:38 PM
From your current frame the Vok would seem the smallest departure. It also happens to be the most comfortable.

If you want to hit big and are willing to play everyday the Wilson is your frame, but be advised that you may be likely to tame it only in spurts, to run off a few points with a commanding mixture of style and power before figuring out how important it can be the knowing how to be able to play great defense with it, because it can wear a guy out having to swing consistently in the manner required for taking full advantage of such a stick. After your gas tank has been emptied for doing such work, you would be left with a trusty cudgel with which to softly block most shots back fairly deep but without any venom.

I am curious to hear what others may have to say about the Fischer racket. I have understood their frames to be very crispy, good for punching volleys; so, I don't have any reason for assuming you would find the Fischer to be the most comfortable.

As for the PST, this is another area where I have a great deal of reason for distrusting my admittedly under-nourished opinion, and so, anything anyone has to say is probably more worthy of being heard than nothing at all.

adso1973
03-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Hi DeShaun,

Thanks for your replay, from what I've read I though it as the more powered out of them and with an average SW.

But yes, my concern is if my arm will get tired after playing long clay matches.

Thanks!

adso1973
03-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Well, today I played a match with the blx 6.1 (black and red) and really enjoyed playing with it.

Great feel, plow, felt my game came back (used to play with the hps 6.1) the only cons is that after 2 hs playing I can feel my arm tired and I'm waiting till tomorrow to see if my elbow is still ok, but it really felt comfortable.

I will try to test the other ones, right now after so many good reviews I'm also tempted with another heavy but more tweener like PDR that might be a mix between a heavy tour like frame and a tweener that might help me improve my game.

Opinions? thanks!

sansaephanh
03-21-2012, 12:45 AM
Blx is pretty comfy. It does feel a tad sluggish compared to its predecessor though. I think if you're really looking for comfort and lightweight for long endurance matches, look for a tweener. I think for every racket/ player combi, there is a perfect string set up. It's just a matter of finding it for the right price lol.

Vasuri
03-21-2012, 02:47 AM
I'd recommend that you also try head youtek ig prestige pro.

I also used to play with prince exo3 tour, primarily for comfort reason (had some arm trouble). Similar to you I found that exo3 tour was not really working for aggressive attacking shots. I felt it was also a little lacking in control.
I started to look for heavier mp size racquet with better control and a little more power than exo3 tour. I tried wilson 6.1. 95 16x18 (both the older & newer version) and the babolat pstgt on your list, have not tried the others. In the end I preferred head youtek ig prestige pro. Prestige pro has great control, easy access to spin and a good level of power. I'd best describe it that power is sufficient and accessible if needed but not too much.

I understand that comfort is important for you. One of the primary reasons I chose prestige pro over wilson 6.1. 95 was comfort. 6.1. 95 is a great racquet but I think that prestige pro is slightly more comfortable. Also, since prestige pro is a little less powerful than wilson 6.1. you can string it slightly lower which helps with comfort. I swapped the leather grip to wilson shock shield and strung the racquet with pacific classic 1.25 mains weisscannon silverstring crosses - absolutely no arm trouble after a month of play.

adso1973
03-21-2012, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the answers.

I really enjoyed the 6.1 and although my arm (and shoulder) are tired don't feel elbow issues.

Compared to my last racquets (RDIS100MP & EXO100 18x20) my shots had more plow, serves were amazing (I was missing that power and plow on 1st!), 1HBH was firm and confident, baseline game was easy and the few times I went to the net it felt great.

The frame was strung with some cheap poly so I would probably change it to Tour Bite or maybe an hybrid and see how it works.

I used to play with a TGK 238.2 (MG Prestige Pro) and with a MGPP as well, its a great frame. I would see if I can get a YT or IG version to try as well, nice suggestion. I believe I prefer the weight of the YT.

Also so many good reviews about the PDR is tempting me as my game is serve and heavy baseline, but I'm concern about too much power and lack of confort of the previous PD models (although I've never played with a PD)

Cheers