PDA

View Full Version : Deal, Fair, or Bro you paid too much

Centryx
03-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Just picked up a Ektelon H for ~$240 will post pics soon. Also came with some other stuff hoping some of the veterans can tell me what they are for.

Thanks in advance!
Pics coming

esgee48
03-12-2012, 08:19 PM
A very good deal provided you got all the bells and whistles that make it work. It's the precursor to the Neos 1000, I think. Tennis M a c h i n e s sell these reconditioned for about $750. TM would probably have any parts you did not get when you bought this machine.

Centryx
03-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Here are some pics as promised what is the thing with the red handle and loop

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/bWCxEAiyJMuUZefX2eBOc9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=d irectlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/PWAza4Rq9Efom3LzjhaW1dMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=d irectlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5W7O1B9XsBFuNKMF9WXvz9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=d irectlink

what are all these things with the holes/white things/rail pieces

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/s6HG8f0sz3QWzgq34J1p5tMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=d irectlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/UPpW5E-mWofTvAzJ9umSwdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directli nk

mixedmedia
03-12-2012, 08:36 PM
The thing with the loop and red handle might be for moving crosses. Sort of a guess, but I noticed the groves, and that's all I could think it might be for.

Centryx
03-12-2012, 08:53 PM
come on irvin or drak or jim e help me out here

coachrick
03-12-2012, 09:01 PM
The thing with the loop and red handle might be for moving crosses. Sort of a guess, but I noticed the groves, and that's all I could think it might be for.

come on irvin or drak or jim e help me out here

The red handled gizmo is for changing the oil filter on your car. I've strung tens of thousands of rackets(10+ years on Ektelon machines) and never needed to change the oil in one. :)

Those spacer looking gizmos are for the various frame shapes you will encounter. They fit over the pins at the mounting points on the machine. The white doo-hickeys are taller supports to handle wider-bodied frames.

Someone here will have a PDF or such to show how the devices attach. Provided your machine is/can be calibrated properly, you got a heck of a deal, IMO.

That machine looks pretty darned good for being a quarter-century old(+-).

esgee48
03-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Did you get a manual with the machine? Do a search on the TT forum because there are other H users here.

Some of those pieces are throat adapters.

diredesire
03-12-2012, 09:14 PM

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/bWCxEAiyJMuUZefX2eBOc9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=d irectlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/PWAza4Rq9Efom3LzjhaW1dMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=d irectlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5W7O1B9XsBFuNKMF9WXvz9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=d irectlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/s6HG8f0sz3QWzgq34J1p5tMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=d irectlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/UPpW5E-mWofTvAzJ9umSwdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directli nk

Looks like an oil filter wrench, lol. I think you got a garage freebie...

Looks like you got 2 awls, a calibrator. I believe there was a rubber tool tray mat in both the upper and lower trays at some point (judging from the NEOS, dunno about Model H), half height glide bars (very nice to have), and spare throat adapters.

Seems like you have everything you'd want, and the machine looks to be in pretty darn good shape... very good score. You'd find beaten up ones for >$500 still.

Centryx
03-12-2012, 09:16 PM
thanks coachrick lol the box that had all the tools had that in it and i was like wth is this, the machine is ~10 years old according to the previous owner and was stored with a ektelon cover that they gave me too

mixedmedia
03-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Looks like an oil filter wrench, lol. I think you got a garage freebie...

Looks like you got 2 awls, a calibrator. I believe there was a rubber tool tray mat in both the upper and lower trays at some point (judging from the NEOS, dunno about Model H), half height glide bars (very nice to have), and spare throat adapters.

Seems like you have everything you'd want, and the machine looks to be in pretty darn good shape... very good score. You'd find beaten up ones for >$500 still.

Haha, that's what it is! It can be tightened around other circular things too. Unrelated to stringing, but might be useful. Congrats on the machine, Centryx.

zapvor
03-12-2012, 09:25 PM

the black and white pieces are for pressing up to teh frame of teh racket where its clamped in so as not to damage the frame. i dontknow what the red hoop thing is.

Centryx
03-12-2012, 09:32 PM
thanks i jumped at it and its been on craigslist for over 3 days, quick question should the throat mount have a pad or something? or does the racquet make contact with metal directly? i am going to mount my wise on it and try to get some casters so i can push it around

coachrick
03-12-2012, 09:34 PM
thanks coachrick lol the box that had all the tools had that in it and i was like wth is this, the machine is ~10 years old according to the previous owner and was stored with a ektelon cover that they gave me too

Not necessarily doubting the actual age of your particular machine; but the Model H came out in '87 or thereabouts. I had one and was the only stringer who could string the Wilson rep's Profile oversize demo and it JUST barely fit on the machine. The taller supports were necessary for the wider profile rackets to follow. The longer stemmed holder-downer is also for wider frames...didn't exist originally(no need).

I've not strung an 'aero' type frame or similar on the Model H...haven't used one in years. You'll want to check how the supports contact the hoop on those or some of the older Yonex models(I'm sure there are recent frames I'm not thinking of that will necessitate the use of a 'finessed' mounting adapter).

Slap a mid-sized Prince Graphite or mid-ish Volkl on there and have fun on your inaugural string job! Make sure the clamps are clean so you don't have to over-tighten them. You might also wipe down the glide bars and inside the clamp base with alcohol.

zapvor
03-12-2012, 09:40 PM
thanks i jumped at it and its been on craigslist for over 3 days, quick question should the throat mount have a pad or something? or does the racquet make contact with metal directly? i am going to mount my wise on it and try to get some casters so i can push it around

yea the mounting points should use those plastic padding.

coachrick
03-12-2012, 09:44 PM
quick question should the throat mount have a pad or something? or does the racquet make contact with metal directly? i am going to mount my wise on it and try to get some casters so i can push it around

You'll want a cushion of some sort between the frame and mount...seems like there was felt originally. Thinner is better and not so sticky that the graphics on the frame might stick. The back side of a skinny leather grip was what I used over the years.

Check Northern Tools or Harbor Freight for the casters/wheels. Home Depot and Lowe's may also have them. Look for a multi-pak...cheaper than singles.

Centryx
03-12-2012, 09:50 PM
ok cool I will get something for that throat mount, I am stoked to put it on casters and move it around my house. I guess I got a great deal on it for $240

zapvor
03-12-2012, 09:53 PM
for 240 yea! what were you using before?

Centryx
03-12-2012, 09:56 PM
i have an alpha revo with a wise tension head but after i bought it i always had buyers remorse that i should have spent a little more and got an apex for the stand, getting this machine for the price i got it for seemed like a good deal to do what i want to do with it (push it around the house and string while watching TV and not just in my man cave)

zapvor
03-12-2012, 09:59 PM
so are you putting your revo up for sale? man cave is the best! i wish i had one

Centryx
03-12-2012, 10:01 PM
nah going to keep the revo in the main cave as a backup, this ektelon is pretty sweet but my wife said, "cool now we can watch TV while you string just get some wheels!"

zapvor
03-12-2012, 10:10 PM
lol thats a nice wife!

coachrick
03-12-2012, 10:21 PM
nah going to keep the revo in the main cave as a backup, this ektelon is pretty sweet but my wife said, "cool now we can watch TV while you string just get some wheels!"

Not to complicate matters; but I believe you could make the H a table-top model if the need arises. Unless they made an unneeded change, the turntable assembly should fit into the base without the post(I could be mal-remembering :) ) . I know you wanted the stand, but you might need table-top capabilities at some point.

In previous caster discussions, a lot of guys said the plastic 'wheels' were fine; but I'd prefer rubber or poly if you can find them...smoother and quieter, depending on the flooring surface you're on.

Centryx
03-12-2012, 10:28 PM
speaking of wheels coachrick which size would you recommend for this machine? like wheel size and caster diameter?

I will always have my alpha revo to fall back on as a table top machine =)

Irvin
03-13-2012, 05:05 AM
The T Handle wrench is for moving the throat standard back and forth for different rackets. Awls are used to chip ice for your coke while stringing and to change grommets. They are not to be used for stringing. Filter wrench you can put in the tool box. The blue tool is a tension calibrator. It may or may not be accurate I had one go bad on me. I would test it first with an known weight of 60 lbs before adjusting tensioner with it. I like digital scales better and I believe them to be more accurate. Bent long nose pliers are good for stringing and you will also need some side cutters and a starting clamp.

You have two short arms with the stringer with clamps on them. I would prefer the longer bars for the mains and crosses but if you are doing an ATW pattern the short ones will come in very handy.

It looks like the top standard is missing the white plastic pieces (as in the throat) to hold the racket off the metal pieces. Can't tell very well with the pictures.

Looks to be a good deal for what you paid for it.

Irvin
03-13-2012, 05:11 AM
BY the way here is what I was talking about above:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-NeQyInFJZII/T16-kNGvsnI/AAAAAAAAAgU/DiowlbPO9pw/s800/P1060580.JPG
Notice how the standard on the right does not have anything to protect the frame from the metal? It looks like there are some worn spots on the stringer where rackets were placed. There are probably worn spots on the rackets too. LOL

By the way your bars and clamps are on backwards. You will have to reach inside to release the clamps. The handles should be on the outside. This allows them to be closer together for the center mains also.

Irvin
03-13-2012, 05:18 AM

Did you mean main cave or man cave? LOL I would not give up on the Revo yet. The Revo has swivel clamps and you will soon see what I mean. Nothing wrong with the glide bar if you don't string any funny patterns or fan rackets. If you use the 2 piece 50/50 pattern for Prince racket the long glide bars are a big plus assuming the long bars work in both directions and it looks like they can because in the picture above they are set up for crosses. The glide bars are actually quicker IMHO.

EDIT: BTW the short bars can not work for the mains unless you are going to double pull your mains.

MAX PLY
03-13-2012, 07:09 AM
Actually it looks like an outstanding deal. The machine looks in pretty good shape. I suggest you give it a very detailed cleaning--denatured or rubbing alcohol plus a clean rag, a tooth brush and pipe cleaners works very well. That cleaning should remove much of the oxidation--if not, carefully use some fine steel wool. When it comes to the clamps, clean not only the teeth but also the base where it grips the glide bars. It looks like you got all of the frame retainers (but you can order a full set from Prince or tennismachinesdotcom--the Neos 1000 parts are largely interchangable). It does appear that your riser and throat clamp pads are wanting and you can either order them or as one poster suggested, make your own out of grip scraps (I actully prefer making my own--I use leftover synthetic grip scrap which seems to "grab" the frame a bit better than leather). Again, even if you order them they are cheap. And given what you paid, it is a very small additional investment.

Some of this advice may make mores sense if you read the instruction manual--I can send you a pdf of one if you wish. Just post your e-mail address.

Keep it clean and covered when not in use--will last forever. Good luck.

Centryx
03-13-2012, 08:36 AM
thanks I will look it up, actually the throat does have a very thin piece of rubber there, my initial inspection I just glanced over it and thought it was metal, I think it should be fine but I will use a pipe cleaner and rubbing alcohol to try and remove some of the oxidation. Do you recommend I replace the pads for the throat and head of the racquets?
max can you send me the instruction manual centryx1@gmail.com

thanks in advance

Centryx
03-13-2012, 08:39 AM
hmm I was looking at the base today and it doesn't have removable bottoms unless I pry them off to put in casters has anyone done that before??

diredesire
03-13-2012, 09:32 AM
thanks I will look it up, actually the throat does have a very thin piece of rubber there, my initial inspection I just glanced over it and thought it was metal, I think it should be fine but I will use a pipe cleaner and rubbing alcohol to try and remove some of the oxidation. Do you recommend I replace the pads for the throat and head of the racquets?
max can you send me the instruction manual centryx1@gmail.com

thanks in advance

If you do, leftover leather grip (with adhesive backing) is a good material to use.

MAX PLY
03-13-2012, 09:58 AM
If you do, leftover leather grip (with adhesive backing) is a good material to use.

Centryx,

Agree with this.

Also, just sent you the manual.

coachrick
03-13-2012, 03:13 PM
hmm I was looking at the base today and it doesn't have removable bottoms unless I pry them off to put in casters has anyone done that before??

I was wondering what sort of 'feet' your stand has. Unless you're really handy, it might be a pain to fashion a wheel system. Seems like some of the stands had adjustable foot-pads that were screwed into the base and could actually be removed. Even at that, you would need to match the threads in order to add casters or wheels.

I reckon you could drill out and/or tap the base to accept a screw-in wheel. You could also mount wheels to a wood platform to use as a machine base but it might end up looking like a science project. :)

Centryx
03-13-2012, 03:55 PM
yes it has rubber inserts but no threads, I was thinking about just putting the hardwood floor sliders under them and pushing it around the house, do you think that would work?

coachrick
03-13-2012, 09:49 PM
yes it has rubber inserts but no threads, I was thinking about just putting the hardwood floor sliders under them and pushing it around the house, do you think that would work?

Until you install the Wise, it's plenty easy to just pick up and carry. With the Wise, it might be too cumbersome. The sliders should work as long as you maintain the balance.

beernutz
03-14-2012, 06:31 AM
That looks like a very good deal to me. FWIW, I bought my Neos off craigslist for $500 and I think I got a pretty good deal but I'd have snapped your machine up in a heartbeat if I'd seen it knowing what I know now.

My office mate has a Model H he's had for over 12 years which has probably strung at least 5000 racquets as it was used in a pro shop before he got it and he still strings at least once a week with it. It still works great.

KerryR
03-14-2012, 08:52 AM
I paid about $550 for my re-furbished Ekt. H from Tennis Machines last fall. I think you got a great deal.

Here's something worth noting: In your pic with the black plastic throat side adapters, the 3 little ones with a single hole in them are 'universal'-- with one on each pin, they'll pivot into contact with the frame as you adjust the mount, just like the white ones do on the head side mount. This is convenient- it negates the need to swap out the adapters from frame to frame. Not sure if there are any negatives to using the universal adapters, but they make me wonder why E. didn't use the white plastic adapters on both sides... There must be a reason.

Irvin
03-16-2012, 06:25 AM
speaking of wheels coachrick which size would you recommend for this machine? like wheel size and caster diameter?

I will always have my alpha revo to fall back on as a table top machine =)

http://www.gammasports.com/gamma.cfm?product=2009

Centryx
03-16-2012, 07:17 AM
hey Irvin are you sure that one is the right size?

Irvin
03-16-2012, 07:31 AM
It is the right size for a Gamma upright for Prince/Ektelon I have no idea but I would think they (or something similar) could be made to work. Probably could pick some up at home depot.

MAX PLY
03-16-2012, 11:27 AM
hey Irvin are you sure that one is the right size?

Centryx, did you get the pics I sent to you via e-mail of the casters on my H?

Centryx
03-16-2012, 11:30 AM
yes I did looks good and cheaper than the ones gamma sells, i keep forgetting to measure the rubber stoppers for the depth and diameter, do you recall those measurements of the casters you got?

MAX PLY
03-16-2012, 01:15 PM
yes I did looks good and cheaper than the ones gamma sells, i keep forgetting to measure the rubber stoppers for the depth and diameter, do you recall those measurements of the casters you got?

I am afraid I do not. What I actually did was take the base (just very bottom, not the post) to a hardware store and worked with the folks there to figure it out how best to do it. There was a bit of trial and error but the end results were great.