PDA

View Full Version : Racquet advice: BLX 95 16x18 vs 18x20

clutch21
03-12-2012, 07:16 PM
I am a 4.5 player and I tried out the 16x18 and was amazed with how it hit on pretty much all types of shots. I think I'm going to make the switch... I'm coming off the head speed 18x20 (non IG).

Again I am around the 4.5 level. I can put it away on the forehand side and hit with a good deal of topspin. My backhand isn't a weapon but I hit a consistent and penetrating slice (something I heard the 16x18 excels at). My serve is also solid.. I hit with a funky side spin action.

I feel like I'm already sold on the 16x18 but im saying that without trying the 18x20. for those of you who have tried both, would it be wise to waste more time and money on trying the 18x20?

JDMasFCK
03-12-2012, 08:01 PM
I am a 4.5 player and I tried out the 16x18 and was amazed with how it hit on pretty much all types of shots. I think I'm going to make the switch... I'm coming off the head speed 18x20 (non IG).

Again I am around the 4.5 level. I can put it away on the forehand side and hit with a good deal of topspin. My backhand isn't a weapon but I hit a consistent and penetrating slice (something I heard the 16x18 excels at). My serve is also solid.. I hit with a funky side spin action.

I feel like I'm already sold on the 16x18 but im saying that without trying the 18x20. for those of you who have tried both, would it be wise to waste more time and money on trying the 18x20?

I tried both and for me the 18x20 suited my type of game better. With the 18x20 I could hit ridiculous angles in singles. Although my serves weren't as fast compared to the 16x18, it was enough to give my opponent some trouble. Not to mention when I had the 16x18, I had to restring every 2 days before they pop, because the strings wouldn't make it past 2 days. The setup I use to use on my 18x20 is Genesis Black Magic in a full bed at 55lbs. It was amazing, has pop, feel, spin and power, I was pretty amazed. If you're more of an aggressive player who has control already I would opt for the 16x18, but if you're more of the control oriented type who doesn't want to have huge topspin shots, I would opt for the 18x20. Demo both and see what you like the most.

clutch21
03-12-2012, 09:40 PM
I tried both and for me the 18x20 suited my type of game better. With the 18x20 I could hit ridiculous angles in singles. Although my serves weren't as fast compared to the 16x18, it was enough to give my opponent some trouble. Not to mention when I had the 16x18, I had to restring every 2 days before they pop, because the strings wouldn't make it past 2 days. The setup I use to use on my 18x20 is Genesis Black Magic in a full bed at 55lbs. It was amazing, has pop, feel, spin and power, I was pretty amazed. If you're more of an aggressive player who has control already I would opt for the 16x18, but if you're more of the control oriented type who doesn't want to have huge topspin shots, I would opt for the 18x20. Demo both and see what you like the most.

Good FB, thanks for the help

the rebel
04-05-2012, 08:25 AM
i tried both and really prefer the 18x20 cause the feel is better. more control and still have a lot of power and spin. This is my best stick ever to serve! at 346 grs it's really stable and doesn't hurt too. no doubt, one of best player's racquet on the market!

bluetrain4
04-05-2012, 08:41 AM
Try the 18x20

Torres
04-05-2012, 02:39 PM
I think its purely a matter of preference.

I've used the 18x20 version for years but I don't think its necessarily better or worse than the 16x18 - just different.

One thing I will say though is that the 18x20 is string sensitive and you need to get the setup right to get best out of it. Pick too low a powered string, or a dead feeling string, or one that's strung at too high a tension and it just doesn't complement the racquet at all. Dead polys also feel pretty boardy in it.

But with the right string - and if you're able to handle its heft and bring sufficient energy to the court when you play, its a great stick. But then you can probably say that about the 16x18 as well....

sunof tennis
04-05-2012, 02:48 PM
I have hit with both and the differences are subtle, but definitely there. Not surprisingly, the 16X18 version has more pop and obviously easier access to spin. Also, and again, not surprisingly, the angle of departure is different. The ball seems to come off the 16X18 at a higher trajectory. I would try both, but if you can't, if you like hitting controlled and flat go witht the 18X20, if you like more pop and spin, go 16X18.