PDA

View Full Version : Roddick's Career is Over

recreationalplayer
03-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Taking the thread "when will Roddick ever learn..." to the next step, after seeing tonight's match against Berdych, it is clear that Andy Roddick's career is over and his days of even having a slugger's chance are gone. His contributions to the USA Davis Cup Team shouldn't be forgotten however after this year he, IMO, should retire.

SStrikerR
03-12-2012, 07:43 PM
So losing in 3 sets to a top 10 player is the end of the world?

Yes, he will be retired within a few years. But in no way was this a bad loss. It's not like Murray, losing to every joe on the tour for months after AO ends.

kimbahpnam
03-12-2012, 07:51 PM
this should be in the pro match results subforum

Cup8489
03-12-2012, 07:53 PM
I wish he'd have attacked more. It clearly worked when he chose to do it, but he didn't...choose...to do it...

GAH.

MichaelNadal
03-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Well he peaked 8 years ago, what more do you expect?

000KFACTOR90000
03-12-2012, 07:56 PM
After 2009 Wimbledon I never write off A-Rod.

Mainad
03-12-2012, 08:01 PM

Yes, he will be retired within a few years. But in no way was this a bad loss. It's not like Murray, losing to every joe on the tour for months after AO ends.

Every joe on the tour? Hardly. He's lost 3 matches this season; to Djokovic, the world number 1 in the semi-final of the AO, to Federer, the world number 3 in the final of Dubai and to an inspired Garcia-Lopez, a player who has beaten Nadal, in the 2nd round of IW, his only early round loss.

As for Roddick, he played almost like his old self for a while in that 2nd set. Pity he couldn't keep it up in the 3rd. But it was a much improved performance. Hopefully he can build on it for the rest of the season. If so, I think retirement can be put on hold for a while.

FD3S
03-12-2012, 08:07 PM
I remember when his career was over after Murray beat him at Wimbledon in 2006. I also remembered when it was over after the 2007 AO when Fed stomped him. I vaguely remember people saying his career was over after crashing out to Kohlschreiber first in the 2008 AO. And then there was the time his career ended after losing at Wimbledon in 2009.

TLDR: People like to count Roddick out. Maybe this time it'll stick, but knowing A-Rod he's got more to give, yet.

NamRanger
03-12-2012, 08:36 PM
I remember when his career was over after Gasquet beat him at Wimbledon in 2006. I also remembered when it was over after the 2007 AO when Fed stomped him. I vaguely remember people saying his career was over after crashing out to Kohlschreiber first in the 2008 AO. And then there was the time his career ended after losing at Wimbledon in 2009.

TLDR: People like to count Roddick out. Maybe this time it'll stick, but knowing A-Rod he's got more to give, yet.

He just has to maintain an aggressive form for a long period of time.

Murrayalmagrofan
03-12-2012, 08:47 PM

Agreed. His career is far from over. He just needs to fully recover from his injuries and make a charge.

I'm sure he'll bottom out somewhere outside of the top 50 before he makes his ascent again. On a good day, he's still a top 20 player.

decades
03-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Agreed. His career is far from over. He just needs to fully recover from his injuries and make a charge.

I'm sure he'll bottom out somewhere outside of the top 50 before he makes his ascent again. On a good day, he's still a top 20 player.

so he going to "ascend" the rankings when he is 30? I have to hand it to Roddick fans. They sure believe.

joeri888
03-13-2012, 12:24 AM
I remember when his career was over after Gasquet beat him at Wimbledon in 2006. I also remembered when it was over after the 2007 AO when Fed stomped him. I vaguely remember people saying his career was over after crashing out to Kohlschreiber first in the 2008 AO. And then there was the time his career ended after losing at Wimbledon in 2009.

Eventually, they will always be right. I just hope Roddick sticks around for a few years. I believe he can at least keep his streak of a tourney a year alive. He can win all kinds of small american titles I think.

TennisLovaLova
03-13-2012, 01:00 AM
Delete Hatred thread

Rhino
03-13-2012, 01:41 AM
I hope Roddick plays for a while longer. I actually quite enjoy seeing him out there struggling against the likes of Kevin Anderson, Xavier Malisse, and Denis Istomin.
For every racquet Roddick is compelled to smash out of frustration, there is a measure of payback for all those times he's been an arrogant jerk on court in the past. I hope one day soon he loses to Donald Young.

BeHappy
03-13-2012, 01:55 AM
I said this 3 years ago. How arrogant is he to try and win playing like Nadal when he's a terrible defensive player, and refuse to use his massive forehand?

Remember Wimbledon 2004? He hit more forehand winers than Federer that day, broke Federer 3 times in a row to take the second set back to 5-5 from 0-5 down.

He is truly an arrogant idiot who has wasted the last 8 years of his career. Imagine being blessed with talent like that and refusing to use it?

LetsGoRoddick
03-13-2012, 05:33 AM
The injuries+his age+fall in the rankings.

It's a classic sign of a player on the decline.

cknobman
03-13-2012, 05:40 AM
Sorry but Roddicks ground game is pathetic. He literally is the Wozniacki of the ATP.

Sure he has the serve but the forehand/backhand is just a constant defensive shot hoping the other player makes the error.

Watched the Berdych match and could not take it, lost interest, and started playing computer/phone games.

Murrayalmagrofan
03-13-2012, 05:40 AM
so he going to "ascend" the rankings when he is 30? I have to hand it to Roddick fans. They sure believe.
Yes. And by "ascend" I mean get back into the top 20. On a good day, he plays like a top 20 player. Heck, he had a solid match against Berdych the #7 in the world. And he's not fully recovered from his hamstring injury. Give him 2-3 months and he'll right the ship.

LetsGoRoddick
03-13-2012, 05:42 AM
Sorry but Roddicks ground game is pathetic. He literally is the Wozniacki of the ATP.

Sure he has the serve but the forehand/backhand is just a constant defensive shot hoping the other player makes the error.

Watched the Berdych match and could not take it, lost interest, and started playing computer/phone games.

Rodniacki?

Limpinhitter
03-13-2012, 06:21 AM
Roddick still didn't look physically 100% in that match. He wasn't moving well or serving as wall as usual. In addition to his stomach and hamstring injuries (hammies can take months to heal), he was hindered with mononucleosis for a long time. The effects of mono can persist for a long time as well. I wonder if he's fully recovered.

DjokovicForTheWin
03-13-2012, 06:43 AM
Didn't Roddick just beat Nadal at his peak in 2010? He's not much different from that form today. He'll be back.

courtking
03-13-2012, 06:47 AM
did Roddick just beat Federer 2 weeks ago in MSG?? Federer helped his old friend.. He was trying his best to lose the match to give Roddick some confidence but I guess it did not help much..

SLD76
03-13-2012, 07:00 AM

I vaguely recall he hasnt won anything of significance in the time frames you have listed.

then again, titles are hard to come by in the fedaldjoker era.

celoft
03-13-2012, 07:09 AM
titles are hard to come by in the fedaldjoker era.

Which is why I don't see Roddick winning Wimbledon this year or ever.

Mainad
03-13-2012, 07:24 AM
I vaguely recall he hasnt won anything of significance in the time frames you have listed.

then again, titles are hard to come by in the fedaldjoker era.

His last biggish title was at 2010 Miami when he straight-setted Berdych in the final. In fact he almost did the IW/Miami double that year but he lost in two tight tie-breakers against an inspired Ljubicic in the IW final earlier.

Shortly after that, his mono kicked in plus a succession of injuries. He's never managed to recapture that form since.

devila
03-13-2012, 08:11 AM
he avoided most the clay season, took a long vacation, went to dirty hotels, screwed the wife and caught the mono.
there'll be a divorce and no good memory of tennis again.

there's nothing smart about roddick.

LuckyR
03-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Taking the thread "when will Roddick ever learn..." to the next step, after seeing tonight's match against Berdych, it is clear that Andy Roddick's career is over and his days of even having a slugger's chance are gone. His contributions to the USA Davis Cup Team shouldn't be forgotten however after this year he, IMO, should retire.

His career is over, eh? Last year was a low point for him, yet he made > $ 1 million in prize money (not to mention endorsements). How was your year in 2011? Are you set to throw in the towel?

BeHappy
03-13-2012, 08:28 AM
His career is over, eh? Last year was a low point for him, yet he made > $ 1 million in prize money (not to mention endorsements). How was your year in 2011? Are you set to throw in the towel?

A million in prize money? I wonder if he made a profit considering the 5 star hotels he'd stay in and the first class flights etc?

devila
03-13-2012, 08:43 AM
poor rich boy was so busy. he admitted that fans paid high fees for his charity event dinners.

he lost so often, he had no time to tell federer what a nice and amazing player he is. don't forget lil andy has a mansion with the perfect swimsuit model....and 9 yrs. ago, he joined federer in the "winner's circle". who the hell are djokovic and nadal?

Mainad
03-13-2012, 09:00 AM
he avoided most the clay season, took a long vacation, went to dirty hotels, screwed the wife and caught the mono.
there'll be a divorce and no good memory of tennis again.

there's nothing smart about roddick.

I'm beginning to get the impression you don't like Andy Roddick! :rolleyes:

LuckyR
03-13-2012, 09:34 AM
A million in prize money? I wonder if he made a profit considering the 5 star hotels he'd stay in and the first class flights etc?

It is possible his bottom line wasn't all that, but then again he stayed in "5 star hotels" all the time and traveled the world, sounds like a pretty good gig to me (and likely a better time of it than the haters in this thread). They should be so lucky to have a lifestyle like that. Why should/would he retire? By that logic there would be no one in the ATP beyond a few dozen players.

himynameisNIKE
03-13-2012, 09:49 AM

the higher level tournaments, which roddick plays, pay for your hotels. Im sure he has friends with private jets. The richer you are the less you have to pay for stuff like that

Cormorant
03-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Puzzlingly enough, the ATP website still has Roddick listed as an active player, but the OP's pretty vehement so I'm unsure who to believe.

recreationalplayer
03-13-2012, 07:06 PM
"I remember when his career was over after Gasquet beat him at Wimbledon in 2006. I also remembered when it was over after the 2007 AO when Fed stomped him. I vaguely remember people saying his career was over after crashing out to Kohlschreiber first in the 2008 AO. And then there was the time his career ended after losing at Wimbledon in 2009.

TLDR: People like to count Roddick out. Maybe this time it'll stick, but knowing A-Rod he's got more to give, yet. "

I appreciate this comment, an echo of Jimmy Conners being written off too many times, but Andy isn't Jimmy.

Mustard
03-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Gasquet beat Roddick at 2007 Wimbledon, by the way. 2006 Wimbledon saw Roddick lose to Murray in straight sets during the nadir of Roddick's post-2004 fall.

Nostradamus
03-13-2012, 07:25 PM

According to his coach, Roddick is still playing great tennis. He has been looking a bit off this year so far due to multiple injuries he has suffered earlier in the year. Roddick is still prohibited in certain types of movement and he is not 100%.
Once he is 100 %, he will be playing top 10 caliber tennis once again.

FD3S
03-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Gasquet beat Roddick at 2007 Wimbledon, by the way. 2006 Wimbledon saw Roddick lose to Murray in straight sets during the nadir of Roddick's post-2004 fall.

Stand corrected!

Nostradamus
03-14-2012, 05:29 AM
I think if Roddick can remain healthy and back to full strength, he is still top 10 player. he is still better than Fish

cknobman
03-14-2012, 07:22 AM
I think if Roddick can remain healthy and back to full strength, he is still top 10 player. he is still better than Fish

Results of last 2 years say otherwise.

Devilito
03-14-2012, 09:49 AM

How? Roddick has no weapons apart from his serve and at 30 the last thing you're gonna do is grind out matches against guys like Nadal, Djokovic, Ferrer etc. It's not going to happen. At his size he needs weapons. He needs more of a 1-2 punch and hit way more winners off his forehand. Right now he gets players in trouble with good point construction or a good serve and just spins a forehand back and lets his opponent get back into the point instead of finishing it off. It's not the game style that's gonna get him back into any type of top 10 form at his age. Fish just has way more weapons. He knows how to finish points and impose his game on his opponents.

brettsticker86
03-14-2012, 11:20 AM
if guys like fish and tipsarevic can make top 10, roddick still definitely has a chance to get back in. he's had some bad luck so far this year and it's been tough for him to get the confidence going. plus its not easy when everybody is talking about how much you suck, adds a lot of pressure to finally start playing well.

Nostradamus
03-14-2012, 11:22 AM
How? Roddick has no weapons apart from his serve and at 30 the last thing you're gonna do is grind out matches against guys like Nadal, Djokovic, Ferrer etc. It's not going to happen. At his size he needs weapons. He needs more of a 1-2 punch and hit way more winners off his forehand. Right now he gets players in trouble with good point construction or a good serve and just spins a forehand back and lets his opponent get back into the point instead of finishing it off. It's not the game style that's gonna get him back into any type of top 10 form at his age. Fish just has way more weapons. He knows how to finish points and impose his game on his opponents.

His coach Larry Stephanki disagrees with you. Roddick has serve and forehand as weapons. and his backhand slice is becoming a variety shot to force his opponent out of their rhythm.

devila
03-14-2012, 01:49 PM
everybody got healthier and the top 200 surpassed roddick in each aspect-- mentality and physical dexterity. roddick belongs in the howard stern show, where he can just insult ******** people and discuss his severe overeating, and how he buys relationships with money and how often he grabbed mandy moore and model girls' boobs and his own gonads in matches.

jackson vile
03-14-2012, 02:21 PM

Roddick has made huge improvements for sure, however the competition has grown stronger and stronger over the years and he simply can't keep it up. That is not to say that his whole career is over.

Rock Strongo
03-14-2012, 02:30 PM
everybody got healthier and the top 200 surpassed roddick in each aspect-- mentality and physical dexterity. roddick belongs in the howard stern show, where he can just insult ******** people and discuss his severe overeating, and how he buys relationships with money and how often he grabbed mandy moore and model girls' boobs and his own gonads in matches.

Hey, it falls out, you've gotta adjust!