PDA

View Full Version : Nike 2k11 durability: is this normal?

bkpr
03-13-2012, 05:00 AM
Hello.

This year I bought a pair of Nike 2k11s from NikeID after trying some in a store. This was my first pair(s) of tennis-specific shoes. Previously I wore Asics cross trainers for tennis as I wasn't playing often. Now that I've stepped up my tennis playing, I bought the 2k11s.

After only two months, I've worn the top half of the forefoot sole and the toe cap so it's smooth. I play only on well maintained hardcourt surfaces so I selected the hardcourt sole in NikeID. I've played ~6 hours of singles and doubles tennis per week over the last 8 weeks or so.

Since I haven't worn tennis-specific shoes before, I'm wondering if this is normal/expected? Are the 2k11s notoriously softer than other tennis shoes? Are all tennis shoes this (non)durable? Could the NikeID sole colour choice have an effect on durability?

Thanks in advance for any advice/information.

bkpr
03-13-2012, 05:02 AM
I should mention I'm not an expert tennis player, playing for about 9 months in total. According to the NRTP rating I'm guessing I clock in at 3.0-ish.

anhuynh16
03-13-2012, 05:16 AM
Yes this is normal, do you expect it to last 5 years?

sp1derman
03-13-2012, 05:20 AM
I have the 2K11's as well. I actually find them more durable than my Babolat Propulse 3's. You're getting normal results from them. I have played about the same # of hours as you and have similar wear. Hard courts just eat up the rubber...I tend to drag feet when serving and on groundstrokes as many players do. They are great shoes as tennis shoes go. I can't wait to ID another pair!

bkpr
03-13-2012, 05:24 AM
Yes this is normal, do you expect it to last 5 years?

Um …no.

But I've never had a pair of shoes go smooth after 8 weeks. By the same token I've never played 6 hours of tennis a week either.

bkpr
03-13-2012, 05:34 AM
They are great shoes as tennis shoes go.

They are great in terms of comfort (I have the bootie version) and for feeling stable and non-ankle-roly.

I wonder if I could melt some new tread lines into the smooth parts…

Standstill
03-13-2012, 05:58 AM
They are known for their poor durability.

sp1derman
03-13-2012, 07:19 AM
They are great in terms of comfort (I have the bootie version) and for feeling stable and non-ankle-roly.

I wonder if I could melt some new tread lines into the smooth parts…

I have the bootie version as well and love the fact that their is no tongue moving off to the side. I would not recommend burning in new tread. The smoothness isn't going to be all that detrimental, it might make changes of direction a fraction of a second different, but you are obviously doing some sliding as you are hitting or stopping. The smoothness will make the sliding more fun!

jacktyler627
03-13-2012, 11:39 AM
be ready for a whole to pop through in a couple weeks.....
I'm in the same boat as you and i just started putting a hole after a few weeks of going smooth

jmverdugo
03-13-2012, 11:55 AM
it also depends on your footwork and some bad habits some people have. But yes those shoes playing 6 hours a week would last about 2 months or so, welcome to the 6 month warranty world.

bkpr
03-13-2012, 06:42 PM
The 6 month warranty world. I guess that means Courtballistec and Vapor shoes :(

djokster
03-13-2012, 06:56 PM
The 6 month warranty world. I guess that means Courtballistec and Vapor shoes :(
nope, just courtballistecs

bkpr
03-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Hmmm, according to this website (http://www.tennisthis.com/home/the-tennis-shoe-that-lasts-less-than-six-months/) (and a quick Googlé search, there are no Nike tennis shoes with the 6 month warranty?

ArliHawk
03-13-2012, 06:58 PM
Hmmm, according to this website (http://www.tennisthis.com/home/the-tennis-shoe-that-lasts-less-than-six-months/) (and a quick Googlé search, there are no Nike tennis shoes with the 6 month warranty?

Ballistecs definitely have the 6 month warranty.

djokster
03-13-2012, 07:03 PM
fail...

New Rafael Nadal's shoe of choice, the Courtballistec 4.3 offers a new look with improved fit and feel. Comes with a 6-month durability guarantee.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Nike_Air_Court_Ballistec_43_WhSilver/descpageMSNIKE-NM43WS.html

bkpr
03-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Yeh, sorry about that. I did the search within Tennis Warehouse and durability box checked to find the Ballistex. I then posted the correction but it mustn't've posted (or I hit preview instead of post).

Now if only you could customise the Ballistex with NIKEiD (I checked this one already, I', sure you cant :P)

Thanks for the info everyone.

SJSA
03-13-2012, 10:53 PM
I have a pair of 2k10.
They have exactly same outsole like 2k11.
Both are nice comfortable shoes except outsole durability.
No wonder Nike does not offer 6 mon warranty for these shoes.

jmverdugo
03-15-2012, 01:46 PM
But! the 6 month warranty is only available within the US (I believe)

tarkowski
03-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Hello.

This year I bought a pair of Nike 2k11s from NikeID after trying some in a store. This was my first pair(s) of tennis-specific shoes. Previously I wore Asics cross trainers for tennis as I wasn't playing often. Now that I've stepped up my tennis playing, I bought the 2k11s.

After only two months, I've worn the top half of the forefoot sole and the toe cap so it's smooth. I play only on well maintained hardcourt surfaces so I selected the hardcourt sole in NikeID. I've played ~6 hours of singles and doubles tennis per week over the last 8 weeks or so.

Since I haven't worn tennis-specific shoes before, I'm wondering if this is normal/expected? Are the 2k11s notoriously softer than other tennis shoes? Are all tennis shoes this (non)durable? Could the NikeID sole colour choice have an effect on durability?

Thanks in advance for any advice/information.

short answer to your question is that 2k11 does wear out fairly quick relative to guaranteed shoes, and perhaps wear more quickly than regular shoes as well; they are designed to be low to the ground, lightweight, and breathable and sacrifice wear as a result

like others have said, getting a pair with durability guarantee may help you save some $$...but they will be heavier and most likely less responsive than the 2k11 but only you can decide what balance you are looking for

some I know get a durability shoe for training and a lighter pair for matches

cknobman
03-16-2012, 06:13 AM
This is perfectly normal.

Honestly be glad your getting 2+months out of these.

If you ever make it to 4.0 or higher (and still play 6+hours per week) expect shoes like the 2k11 to last less than 2 months.

Im a 4.0 and 6 month durability guaranteed shoes (barricade, t22, ballistic) never even last me a full 3 months. At least they come with a warranty so I get a free pair.

ZeroSkid
03-16-2012, 10:53 AM
This is perfectly normal.

Honestly be glad your getting 2+months out of these.

If you ever make it to 4.0 or higher (and still play 6+hours per week) expect shoes like the 2k11 to last less than 2 months.

Im a 4.0 and 6 month durability guaranteed shoes (barricade, t22, ballistic) never even last me a full 3 months. At least they come with a warranty so I get a free pair.

How do you get the free pair do you have to go to a nike shop or call nike or ?

cknobman
03-16-2012, 12:13 PM
Buy shoes that specifically state a 6 month durability guarantee (TW labels all of them)

If your sole wears through before 6 moths is up then you ship the shoes back to Nike or Adidas. Both companies put warranty cards in the box when your purchase shoes and you can always call them directly and get an RMA numbers.

After they recieve the worn shoes you get a new pair.
Nike: Their policy is to give you credit to buy anything you want from their web store. In my case I bought 2.3's at TW on clearance for $89 but on Nike's web store they went for $120. So when I did a warranty claim they gave me $120 worth of credit on their web store.
Adidas: Their policy is to ship you back a replacement pair of shoes. Usually it is the exact same pair you shipped them but if the do not have the color then you get to pick a new color plus if your shoe is no longer made they automatically send you the newer model of that same shoe.

ZeroSkid
03-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Buy shoes that specifically state a 6 month durability guarantee (TW labels all of them)

If your sole wears through before 6 moths is up then you ship the shoes back to Nike or Adidas. Both companies put warranty cards in the box when your purchase shoes and you can always call them directly and get an RMA numbers.

After they recieve the worn shoes you get a new pair.
Nike: Their policy is to give you credit to buy anything you want from their web store. In my case I bought 2.3's at TW on clearance for $89 but on Nike's web store they went for $120. So when I did a warranty claim they gave me $120 worth of credit on their web store.
Adidas: Their policy is to ship you back a replacement pair of shoes. Usually it is the exact same pair you shipped them but if the do not have the color then you get to pick a new color plus if your shoe is no longer made they automatically send you the newer model of that same shoe.

Thanks a lot!!!!!

bkpr
03-19-2012, 01:38 AM
…getting a pair with durability guarantee may help you save some $$...but they will be heavier and most likely less responsive than the 2k11

Hmmm, seems I bought the wrong model as a first step into tennis shoes; I'm spoiled :( The shoes feel great!
I'll wait till the Ballistecs go on sale at my local store/s and grab a pair to try. (then spray-paint them some reasonable colour :P )

Kcraig
03-19-2012, 06:54 AM
Durability is not great but they are the most comfortable out of the box tennis shoes i have ever worn (3x of 2K10s and now 1x pair of 2K11). The
2K11 really improved in the stability department over the 2K10s. I just wait till they go on clearance and pick them up for $79.00:)

bkpr
03-22-2012, 03:04 AM
Just noticed the 2k11s' outsole is XDR, the same as Court Ballistec's. Wonder why Nike only give the Ballistecs the guarantee?

cknobman
03-22-2012, 07:42 AM
Just noticed the 2k11s' outsole is XDR, the same as Court Ballistec's. Wonder why Nike only give the Ballistecs the guarantee?

If you compare the shoes side by side (and look at the weight of the shoe) you can tell they put much more XDR rubber on the ballistic vs the 2k11's.

bkpr
03-22-2012, 05:50 PM
I see. Fair enough. I haven't inspected the Ballistecs. Cheers.

KoaUka
03-22-2012, 06:00 PM
Yes, it's totally normal. After 2 months, my 2k11's were worn through on the left shoe all the way (as in, you can see my toe wigling through the shoe). This has been the weakest shoe i've tried so far. Good thing I used my 6-month coupon for them, only paid the $5 balance. If I paid the full $130 i'd be very upset.

Regarding the ballistecs in NikeID. I've been requesting this from Nike ever since the NikeID was announced. Please help continue to peg nike w/ suggestions of this.

While the 2k11 has horrible durability..... they look so sweet w/ the customized look :smile:

KoaUka
03-22-2012, 06:03 PM
I hope to revivie my worn out 2k11's with the old "cut piece of towel and shoe goo" method.

McLovin
03-24-2012, 05:31 AM
You referring to this?

http://home.comcast.net/~dan.michelle/2k11.jpg

I just happened to notice it this morning, and immediately came here to see if it was common. I guess it is.

What sucks is I've only been wearing them for 3 months, and I've been rotating between these & a pair of Lacoste. So, in effect, I've only gotten 1 1/2 months out of them.