PDA

View Full Version : Cutting off 1/4-3/8 inch of racket?

McEnborg
03-13-2012, 07:15 AM
I have a 27.25 (actually about 27.3) inch racket which I really like. Maybe it's me, but I sometimes "feel" that extra little bit of length and I'm not sure if I'd like the racket a bit more without the extra length.

Two questions:

1) Is this a viable thing to do (cutting off 1/4-1/3 inch at bottom of racket)?

2) how much lead would I have to add to the butt of the frame to keep the same balance? Thanks.

Racket I have is about 11 oz. strung.

corners
03-13-2012, 08:43 AM
I have a 27.25 (actually about 27.3) inch racket which I really like. Maybe it's me, but I sometimes "feel" that extra little bit of length and I'm not sure if I'd like the racket a bit more without the extra length.

Two questions:

1) Is this a viable thing to do (cutting off 1/4-1/3 inch at bottom of racket)?

2) how much lead would I have to add to the butt of the frame to keep the same balance? Thanks.

Racket I have is about 11 oz. strung.

1) Yeah, it's a perfectly viable thing to do. The biggest change will be to swingweight - it will drop by about 8 units if you cut off 1/4". But the mass in the head remains the same, so it will still have the same intrinsic power level. If you then add lead to get back to the original swingweight you will have improved the intrinsic stability and plowthrough of the frame.

Lew Hoad used to cut 1/2" off his racquets (way) back in the day. The reduction in swingweight can be pretty fun if you like to take big rips at the ball.

2) It's really hard to predict the new balance point. Just measure balance before and after cutting and then add lead as appropriate to get back to the original balance, if you want.

McEnborg
03-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks a lot for feedback. That's what I'll do. I just to make sure I get secure the butt cap on again after I take it off. I don't have one of those strong staple guns.