PDA

View Full Version : hawk eye

tomaskei123
03-13-2012, 07:18 AM
i was ball boy it indian wells for the rodick match i clearly saw the ball go out about 2 inches from the line lines man call out rodick challgen and the hawk eye called it in and i swear there is no way tht ball went in it was legitly out

so wht the qs is is the hawkeye legit and wht do u think of it

ollinger
03-13-2012, 07:28 AM
Maybe Larry Ellison has his hawkeye outfitted with Oracle software?

joeri888
03-13-2012, 07:29 AM
2 inches quite a lot. You talked to the linesperson afterwards?

RNEast
03-13-2012, 07:42 AM
Maybe Larry Ellison has his hawkeye outfitted with Oracle software?

Yowsa! A software joke on a tennis forum, well played! Maybe they should publish the code for HawkEye and let the public pour over it for bugs. You just never know. It's all math, but it was created by a human, and we all know humans are prone to errors.

purge
03-13-2012, 09:41 AM
it actually happens that hawkeye sometimes reviews the wrong shot

chatt_town
03-13-2012, 09:44 AM
I remember thinking that a few years ago when a ball was called in and it was clearly out. The shot they reviewed wasn't even close to being the shot that had just taken place. The announcers didn't seem to think anything of it and I guess it's because they aren't suppose to question hawkeye on t.v. as it's the bible if they go to it for review.

it actually happens that hawkeye sometimes reviews the wrong shot

purge
03-13-2012, 09:50 AM
I remember thinking that a few years ago when a ball was called in and it was clearly out. The shot they reviewed wasn't even close to being the shot that had just taken place. The announcers didn't seem to think anything of it and I guess it's because they aren't suppose to question hawkeye on t.v. as it's the bible if they go to it for review.
just recently in a fed vs delpo match fed hit a drive volley and slightly framed it or something so it went alot deeper than he had intended. on first sight (and also in the replay) it looked as if it may have just clipped the line. there was no out call and so delpo challenged and hawkeye claimed it was well inside the baseline. obviously reviewed a different shot there

no way jose

muddlehead
03-13-2012, 10:23 AM
well known episode of hawk eye producing wrong shot a few years ago at i.w. murray vs lubicic. 2009. saw the match live on t.v. luby screwed big time. this from u.k. guardian.

There was no 30th birthday present for Ivan Ljubicic as Andy Murray beat the frustrated Croat 7-5, 7-6 to reach the semi-final of the BNP Paribas Open in a match that ended in controversy last night.

At 4-4 in the second set Murray challenged a call when he had reached break point. HawkEye showed the ball hitting the line but it was the second bounce. The operator, who puts the HawkEye replay up on the screen, had missed the fact that Murray's shot bounced outside the line first and then on the line.

"I didn't play the ball because it was so clearly out," said a bitterly disappointment Ljubicic afterwards. Perhaps the Croat was doubly upset because he had been a member of the ATP board of directors for six months last year and, over the past few years, was one of the decision makers among the players.

"We brought in HawkEye to control human error and then this happens," he said. "It's the first time I have ever known it happen and what a time for it to happen on break point. The point was replayed but I was still thinking about it and missed my shot."

Ljubicic talked to Murray afterwards and asked him why he had challenged a ball that was so obviously out. "Andy said he saw me hesitate, so he thought I might as well," Ljubicic said, smiling. "I don't blame him. None of us are sure about HawkEye."

Murray, who was due to play doubles with Ross Hutchins later, said he felt he served well in the tie-break but admitted: "Obviously I got pretty lucky with that call. It was just human error, which can happen, but I don't think it had a huge bearing on the outcome of the match.

jdubbs
03-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Hawkeye's not perfect, but let's face it, it's changed the game for the better.

Also, I've sworn I've seen balls out but the ball is moving so fast in the pro game, your eyes can play tricks on you, especially on the baseline.

Fail thread.

cknobman
03-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Im with jdubbs hawkeye is good for the game.

Sure its not 100% but its guaranteed more accurate than a human.

volleygirl
03-13-2012, 11:41 AM
i was ball boy it indian wells for the rodick match i clearly saw the ball go out about 2 inches from the line lines man call out rodick challgen and the hawk eye called it in and i swear there is no way tht ball went in it was legitly out

I watched the match and that ball wasnt 2 inches out. Youre saying that the linesperson, the chair umpire and hawkeye all missed a call that was 2 inches out but you and Roddick were the only 2 who saw it correctly out?

stormholloway
03-13-2012, 11:43 AM

Step 1: Quit tennis.
Step 2: Learn how to write.
Step 3: Resume tennis.

tomaskei123
03-13-2012, 04:25 PM
I watched the match and that ball wasnt 2 inches out. Youre saying that the linesperson, the chair umpire and hawkeye all missed a call that was 2 inches out but you and Roddick were the only 2 who saw it correctly out?

i said the lines man call it out so did the chair ump the hawk eye called it good

mellowyellow
03-13-2012, 06:08 PM

Get off of it, their have been countless calls that should have been made by the linesman or the umpire that end up being reviewed/challenged. Thinking of shots that are a ball width or longer out. Their was in fact one just the other day Davenport commented on because it was probably a ball and a half or better long.....

volleygirl
03-13-2012, 06:19 PM
i said the lines man call it out so did the chair ump the hawk eye called it good

Your issue makes no sense. If the linesman called it out and you say it was also out, then why the hell would Roddick have challenged it? I watched the match and know what point youre talking about. It was a serve from Berdych which was an ace and Roddick challenged it. The linesman, chair umpire and hawkeye all thought it was in and only you and Roddick thought it was out.

volleygirl
03-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Get off of it, their have been countless calls that should have been made by the linesman or the umpire that end up being reviewed/challenged. Thinking of shots that are a ball width or longer out. Their was in fact one just the other day Davenport commented on because it was probably a ball and a half or better long.....

How many balls that are 2 inches out are called in by the linesman, the umpire, and also proven to be in by hawkeye? You find me one.