PDA

View Full Version : Head Extremes Vs Babolat Pure Drives... Thoughts?

ChicagoJack
03-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Hey,

I just had a really nice hit with 1st Gen Pure Drive Std. I thought it would be just be an uncontrollable and boardy beast... but I was able to generate enough topspin with it that I had little fear of hitting long. I love it when that happens. It's gotten me thinking about stiffer frames in general, and Babolat in particular. I liked the PD well enough to order up a used 2012 Black Roddick Std, for a few drives around the block. Frame should be here in a few days.

The Microgel Extremes are a steal at the current sale prices, but that paint job... ugggh. I know it shouldn't matter but it does. I'd overlook it if it was a real GOAT I suppose. The YouTek Extreme Pro has the specs in that stiffer range I'd like to explore, the leather grip is a small plus for me. Anybody have any thoughts based on experience, I'd love to hear.

Thanks!

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh11/olmo21/Screenshot2012-03-14at40329PM.png

Bmr
03-13-2012, 01:53 PM
I'm gonna be testing out the entire 2012 Pure Drive line soon. Really intrigued by the reviews and feedback they have been getting. I was at Indian Wells last Friday and couldn't help but notice how many people are using Babolat now. Marketing? Yeah...but I saw a few pros using the new Pure Drive. Matkowski was using it (Polish doubles player)...he has incredible vollies. Arvidsson was using it also (almost beat Wozniacki)..she was hitting somse incredible groundies.

BC1
03-14-2012, 07:26 AM
BUMP...

I'm also curious as to why the Head Extreme MP doesn't get more attention. I haven't heard much about it all, besides the pj.

Anyone use this frame? Likes or dislikes?

origmarm
03-14-2012, 07:30 AM
I only played with a Microgel Extreme for about 25mins but I've played with a PDR a fair bit, the GT version. If you think the PD is in any way boardy and stiff you won't like the Extreme much, pretty much the stiffest feeling racquet (Wilson Profile aside) that I've ever hit with. Good power though. Strange feel. Stiff but dampened by the Microgel. I think it's a lot it or hate it feel, sort of like the Prince O Ports in that way (though the feel is not!).

ChicagoJack
03-14-2012, 10:50 AM
I only played with a Microgel Extreme for about 25mins but I've played with a PDR a fair bit, the GT version. If you think the PD is in any way boardy and stiff you won't like the Extreme much, pretty much the stiffest feeling racquet (Wilson Profile aside) that I've ever hit with. Good power though. Strange feel. Stiff but dampened by the Microgel. I think it's a lot it or hate it feel, sort of like the Prince O Ports in that way (though the feel is not!).

Hi origmarm, thanks for the feedback much appreciated. I am slightly suprised by your comparison on the stiffness though.The microgel extreme has a 68 ra. Most of the pure drives are 70-72 ra.

Thanks again, Jack

Power Player
03-14-2012, 10:54 AM
IMO, (and I have freaking played with about everything) the best racquet in terms of enhancing your game is the Pure Drive..if you can handle the stiffness. I use softer strings and this is a wonderful combo.

I find myself hitting very big shots without overswinging, getting tons of top when I need it..serves are better and I even improved at volleys.

IMO, it is a modern classic.

As for the Extreme, I agree. It feels more stiff and boardy than the new Pure Drive. I did not like the Extreme nearly as much.

Babolat takes a lot of heat, but they make incredible gear for tennis players...IMO.

ArliHawk
03-14-2012, 11:02 AM
IMO, (and I have freaking played with about everything) the best racquet in terms of enhancing your game is the Pure Drive..if you can handle the stiffness. I use softer strings and this is a wonderful combo.

I find myself hitting very big shots without overswinging, getting tons of top when I need it..serves are better and I even improved at volleys.

IMO, it is a modern classic.

As for the Extreme, I agree. It feels more stiff and boardy than the new Pure Drive. I did not like the Extreme nearly as much.

Babolat takes a lot of heat, but they make incredible gear for tennis players...IMO.

Power Player, how do you find the Pure Drive stacks up against the APDGT?

Not attempting to hijack the thread.

Power Player
03-14-2012, 11:09 AM
Both great sticks..the Pure Drive (the new one) is more solid though..better feel.

On serve it is the best I have used.

I may have more control with this new Pure Drive as well.

The APDCgt vibrated a lot if I hit off center...the 2012 does not.

All that being said, the APDC is still right up there..I just prefer the new PD.

dkent
03-14-2012, 12:33 PM
I own both of these rackets and I prefer the Bab. My set up is below but the Head feels like a tuning fork after playing with my PDR. I will only use it now if I break a string. The spin is pretty even on both but there is way more power out of the Bab on serves and groundys.

ciocc
03-14-2012, 01:01 PM
I have never played with a PDR, but I had a APD Cortex and still have a MG Extreme MP.

I weighted up the Extreme to about 12oz and it made a huge difference. The "tuning fork" feel as described by PowerPlayer goes away. It has become more comfortable and stable at contact.

As compared to APD Cortex, the Extreme has more feel. Other than that, they are very similar to each other.

dkent
03-14-2012, 02:23 PM
I have had my Extreme Pro for awhile and got elbow problems from it. The PDR is easier on the body.

ChicagoJack
03-14-2012, 02:42 PM
I have had my Extreme Pro for awhile and got elbow problems from it. The PDR is easier on the body.

Thanks for the feedback dkent, I was hoping you'd stop by. I've been following some of the PD threads lately, and it seems that the new 2012 version is the most arm friendly Babolat yet.

ChicagoJack
03-14-2012, 02:50 PM
I have never played with a PDR, but I had a APD Cortex and still have a MG Extreme MP.

I weighted up the Extreme to about 12oz and it made a huge difference. The "tuning fork" feel as described by PowerPlayer goes away. It has become more comfortable and stable at contact.

As compared to APD Cortex, the Extreme has more feel. Other than that, they are very similar to each other.

Hi ciocc (by your screen name I'm thinking you might be a connoisseur of Italian road bikes) anywhoo... Yeah, I think this is a very common theme for Head sticks. They can feel a bit tinny or harsh outside the sweet spot, but they really sweeten up nicely with lower tension ranges and a touch of lead in the hoop does wonders.

ChicagoJack
03-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Power Player - Didn't you have a fling with the Exo Tour?, That would be quite a switch...

Broken
03-14-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm thinking about either the PD or PDR, would RIP Control strung at 55 work well for both these racquets? And how durable is this string?

ChicagoJack
03-14-2012, 03:19 PM
I'm thinking about either the PD or PDR, would RIP Control strung at 55 work well for both these racquets? And how durable is this string?

Can't speak to how it works in those frames, but Rip Control is very durable. I will break a set of X-One Biphase 16 in about 6-8 hours. I can get 15 hours on RC 16. It's a very damp feeling, very unique string. Lots of RC fans here, and lots of haters too. I find it to be very spin friendly and very easy on the arm. I'm guessing that might be a good fit for the PD.

Power Player
03-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Power Player - Didn't you have a fling with the Exo Tour?, That would be quite a switch...

Yes I did. Great racquet. I was recovering from a wrist injury and this stick was super kind to my arm. Now that I'm healed up and figured how to prevent it, I went stiffer. Started with the Wilson 6.1 and now pure drives. The secret for me is to use softer strings like rip, and I'm good to go.

I like to attack short balls and finish a point..very tough to do with the exo, but if you play more defensive, it is a great stick.

Rip lasts me around 8-10 hours depending who I play. I'd try it at 57 in a pure drive. It is a great match for the racquet.

Broken
03-14-2012, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the replies. What about the PDR?

ChicagoJack
03-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Yes I did. Great racquet. I was recovering from a wrist injury and this stick was super kind to my arm. Now that I'm healed up and figured how to prevent it, I went stiffer. Started with the Wilson 6.1 and now pure drives. The secret for me is to use softer strings like rip, and I'm good to go.

I like to attack short balls and finish a point..very tough to do with the exo, but if you play more defensive, it is a great stick.

I had a similar experience with the exo tour. Really liked the feel, no fear of hitting long... able to open up my technique and let it loose a little bit, but found it difficult to hit those deep penetrating set up shots. Flex does matter. It's not overrated in my book, it has a great deal to do with power, don't care what the prevailing science says. What tickled my fancy about my quick hit with the PD is that I'm able to generate enough spin to take hitting long out of a normal neutral groundie, but when I want to hit with more authority to the corners, then the frame has my back there too. Wasn't feeling that with the Exo Tour.

ciocc
03-14-2012, 11:50 PM
Hi ciocc (by your screen name I'm thinking you might be a connoisseur of Italian road bikes)

That was the first Italian bike frame that I bought. I don't have it anymore ... I'm more French now (Look Kg381i) :)

origmarm
03-15-2012, 03:08 AM
Hi origmarm, thanks for the feedback much appreciated. I am slightly suprised by your comparison on the stiffness though.The microgel extreme has a 68 ra. Most of the pure drives are 70-72 ra.

Thanks again, Jack

I was surprised also as the ratings are the opposite yes. My suspicion is that it may be down to the woofer grommets (one of the few techs that I think actually works).