PDA

View Full Version : Here's what I like/dislike, help me decipher attributable specs!!

keithfival
03-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Started with MG Rad MP (dense 98, flexy), loved the precision, control, no fear of over-hitting, muted feel. Very consistent, had it weighted to about 345g. Eventually felt liked needed more pop against strong 4.5s with power frames and also more stability on slice BH, mid court volleys, BH return of big serves (anything with a short swing).

Switched (took a LONG time to get used to it but eventually did) to APDC+ (stiff open 100). Tons more easy depth, spin, pop on first serve, great for defense, BH slice. My game changed to the racket, started hitting high & deep with tons of topspin, working points and/or playing defense/counter punching and rarely hitting flat to finish a point. Often holding serve easily with free points. Never liked the feel but couldn't argue the results.

Eventually, in addition to never liking the feel, my shoulder/neck started being tight all the time from the huge whipping swing on FH and kick serves to hit with all that spin. Demo'd a ton of other 100" open pattern frames thinking those were the specs I'd had all that success with. Didn't like any as much as the APDC+.

On a lark, picked up a cheap Prince Rebel Team (95, 18x20, lighter and less HL) to rest my shoulder from the APDC+ and found myself blasting flat winners like crazy. Went from high looping topsin to line drive bullets on either side and going for winners on the first decent ball, include first serve returns. Also love the directional control and stability (95, dense pattern?) particularly on slice approaches, midcourt volleys, overheads- they never seem to drift off course, something I've always wanted but never had. It seems like sort of a "Prince" thing based on the few times I hit with them over the years. I basically love everything about it except after a month I still can't get any heat on my serve with it. (Not enough weight? Too HH?)

So, with all the specs of the Rebel Team being so different from the APDC+ I'm not sure what is due to what. Obviously, I am super sensitive to the racket as my whole game changes depending on the strengths and weaknesses of the racket. I love the pure feel, easy flat winners, stability, straight line control, touch and comfort of the Rebel Team and have had very good results with it but feel like I will eventually need to serve better- no serving my way out of holes with this thing or free points.

So, am trying to figure: is it the 95/dense pattern/ medium stiffness? Is it partially the "prince" feel. Is it the lighter more HH balance? I think at least
some of it is the O-Ports as I've tried the Team and non-team Reb with string holes and they didn't seem as forgiving or have that extra pop on flat balls.

Spring season has started and I don't want to go crazy demo'ing 20 more frames so I'm hoping to try just a couple things very close to this (they must be arm friendly). I'm curious about the Warrior 100 (prince, o-ports, same stiffness, arm friendly, although it is 100 and open pattern). Other than that I don't know. Are there other 95" dense pattern, ARM FRIENDLY frames that have that pure, extension of arm feeling but serve really well?

I realize this is all over the place but any insights are appreciated. I guess the most refined question is, is it the 95/dense/weight/balance that I'm enjoying or is it the Prince feel and the o-ports? I have to say I've never enjoyed the feel, "purity" and sweet sweetspot as much on any other frame, so it makes me think it might be a prince thing since I never really hit a prince before and hit lots of other frames.

By the way, I am a typical modern 4.5, aggressive baseliner, enjoy playing all court despite bad volleying. Where I like help from the racket the most is STABILITY: volleys, slice BH, all court stuff. Some extra pop on serve is nice and some controllable pop on the forehand is too. 2HBH is the thing that seems to be the least affected by the frame.

Muppet
03-13-2012, 02:41 PM
I have something for you to look at: Babolat Pure Storm GT. And it's on sale now.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_Pure_Storm_GT/descpageRCBAB-BPSGT.html

It's a little heavier, slightly less swing weight, slightly more headlight, same flex. Go ahead and demo it.

fuzz nation
03-13-2012, 02:56 PM
If that racquet feels like an extension of your arm, it sounds like you're getting an especially good fit with it. I'd be careful about not fixing what isn't broken. If you need some extra thump in your serve, I'd only offer that you try a little experimentation with some lead tape to see what the extra inertia on the head of your racquet does for things. Just a few grams might give you a difference that's productive, but you can just peel it off if it's not right.

keithfival
03-13-2012, 06:10 PM
I have something for you to look at: Babolat Pure Storm GT. And it's on sale now.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_Pure_Storm_GT/descpageRCBAB-BPSGT.html

It's a little heavier, slightly less swing weight, slightly more headlight, same flex. Go ahead and demo it.

Wow, didn't realize they had such close specs. I tried it once for a day and thought it was solid all around but I felt disconnected from the ball, kind of a vague, mushy feel. Maybe it was the strings? How would you describe the feel of it?

keithfival
03-13-2012, 06:15 PM
If that racquet feels like an extension of your arm, it sounds like you're getting an especially good fit with it. I'd be careful about not fixing what isn't broken. If you need some extra thump in your serve, I'd only offer that you try a little experimentation with some lead tape to see what the extra inertia on the head of your racquet does for things. Just a few grams might give you a difference that's productive, but you can just peel it off if it's not right.

Good point. I have dialed in the lead tape to something I like for everything but serve. I picked up a second one so maybe I'll try further experimenting on that one. The prob is, it's already even balance- I'm coming from 8 pts HL- I don't know how much more HH I can go.

Muppet
03-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Wow, didn't realize they had such close specs. I tried it once for a day and thought it was solid all around but I felt disconnected from the ball, kind of a vague, mushy feel. Maybe it was the strings? How would you describe the feel of it?

TBH, I never tried it. But then again, I've never tried the Rebel Team either. Do you know what kind of strings they were and if they were fresh? Also, you could try the TW Racquet Finder button on each racquet description page. It gives a list of comparable racquets to the one you've chosen.